The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Deciding which digital back - how do you know?

symbolphoto

But kind of unprofessional don't you think? My goodness - don't you have a sunset bar here for that? This does seem to be kind of a boys club here though, especially with the boys at CI. I would rather concentrate on the camera equipment than chasing women and getting drunk, but I guess I'm in the minority here. Oh well.
I think you are taking Doug's tongue in cheek comment a bit too far. Especially considering that Valentin has already mentioned he needs to check in with the wife.

It was simply a joke. Don't you have a ledge to jump off somewhere? :)

See what i did there?

Good grief guys, what sort of forum is this - telling me to go jump off a ledge? I just don't see what any of this has to do with serious photography - is this really DPReview? You guys just took a step down on the scale of my respect. I'll stand on the unprofessional remark and leave it at that. Wow...

Valentin

... Miami in the winter sounds very tempting ....
But kind of unprofessional don't you think? My goodness - don't you have a sunset bar here for that? This does seem to be kind of a boys club here though, especially with the boys at CI. I would rather concentrate on the camera equipment than chasing women and getting drunk, but I guess I'm in the minority here. Oh well.
Joseph,

I think that his remark was in response to what I wrote above. If it was out of the blue, than I can see how that can be unprofessional.

Also, to me, good customer service doesn't necessarily means to be all the time political correct and official like. I'm in the event industry and I deal with people all the time. Joking and making fun is part of the "connection" you forge with your customers.

Some people like to keep it business like all the time, and that is fine. I personally don't mind when people joke and act natural. This is not an office where everybody has to wear a tie.

In regard to "the boys at CI" ... I think that's smart business on their part. It's an open forum and any vendor is free to post and answer questions. If other vendors want to gain new customers, they should try to do that by staying involved and get to "know" the people that are looking for products.

Just to be clear: I received answers to my questions and I was never solicited to buy anything from CI or anybody else.

While I did buy a camera from them, it was because they offered a good value (comparable with KEH). They showed great customer service and when I'm ready to buy something else, they will be the first place to look. At the PPE show, the guys that are closer to me (NY) left me with a bad taste and I felt like I was in front of a used car salesman.

So, if you are a vendor, you should stay more involved because you never know where your next customer will come from: I'm in Philly area and the closest CI is to me is Atlanta.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I think you are taking Doug's tongue in cheek comment a bit too far. Especially considering that Valentin has already mentioned he needs to check in with the wife.

It was simply a joke. Don't you have a ledge to jump off somewhere? :)

See what i did there?
Lets keep it civil. No need for comments like this

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Joseph,

I think that his remark was in response to what I wrote above. If it was out of the blue, than I can see how that can be unprofessional.

Also, to me, good customer service doesn't necessarily means to be all the time political correct and official like. I'm in the event industry and I deal with people all the time. Joking and making fun is part of the "connection" you forge with your customers.

Some people like to keep it business like all the time, and that is fine. I personally don't mind when people joke and act natural. This is not an office where everybody has to wear a tie.

In regard to "the boys at CI" ... I think that's smart business on their part. It's an open forum and any vendor is free to post and answer questions. If other vendors want to gain new customers, they should try to do that by staying involved and get to "know" the people that are looking for products.

Just to be clear: I received answers to my questions and I was never solicited to buy anything from CI or anybody else.

While I did buy a camera from them, it was because they offered a good value (comparable with KEH). They showed great customer service and when I'm ready to buy something else, they will be the first place to look. At the PPE show, the guys that are closer to me (NY) left me with a bad taste and I felt like I was in front of a used car salesman.

So, if you are a vendor, you should stay more involved because you never know where your next customer will come from: I'm in Philly area and the closest CI is to me is Atlanta.
Well said . saved me some typing.:thumbs:

Valentin

Am i being vague or is that somehow offensive? Sorry Valentin, didn't mean to fill your thread with nonsense. :rolleyes:
No worries.

And I met Brendan: he's a cool guy and I know he didn't mean anything by it. It's hard sometimes to convey jokes over an internet forum.

Joseph, see what the corporate life did to him? :)

symbolphoto

Valentin, get your phase or aptus back already! I want to play around with it... BTW if it helps, Frank Doorhof, i really admire his work, he swears by the Leaf backs again, because of skin tones...

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Sorry my comments elicited such a response. I think that part of any unintended offense may come from different cultural norms regarding business practices. Part of the way we (CI) does business is not to hide the fact we are "real people". Everyone in the company (minus the accountant) enjoys photography and enjoys what we do (working with photographers, testing great equipment, etc). We all also have lives outside of the office.

Many of our customers become our friends as well as purchasers and we enjoy seeing what they create using our equipment. I think we are extremely professional when the context calls for it (arranging repairs, invoicing, shipping, etc), but in other contexts such as this one we do tend to adopt a more laid back approach.

Business should be fun, easy, and intellectually interesting. If it wasn't I'd be doing something else.

Not every vendor is the right match for every customer - there are many great alternatives to us for anyone who doesn't feel we are a good fit for them.

I would point out however that emotion/connotation/joking are not easy to read through the veil of a forum. It's possible that you might feel differently about me and our company if we had a chance to meet in person - something I would welcome anytime you're in the area. I'd offer to buy you a drink but the irony might be misinterpreted :).

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One at 10% off

Last edited:
A

Alexander DeVoe

I'd have to say that my interaction with CI was great and very professional as well. Although I am now leaning towards Hasselblad (not that there is anything wrong with P1/Leaf, both are great, Hassy just fits ME better.) the guys at CI were extremely helpful in reaching that decision. Having been on both ends of the selling world, I know how much it can help to establish a personal relationship with a potential customer. If I could make a business trip to check out a camera a mini-vacation as well, I know I would be THAT much more likely to pull the trigger. I think that that might be some of the beauty of being a photographer - how many other professions do you really get to have fun with while you're doing your work? Different strokes for different folks, I guess. All business all the time makes me a sad photographer. haha.

I mean... when it comes to spending this much hard earned money on a camera or MFDB, a beer might just help ease the pain...

On topic - having tested the P30+, it was a fantastic back. I loved the results and it produced some amazing files/colors straight out of the camera. The high ISO (ISO 800) files were very clean as well. Lastly, Capture One is a very fine piece of software to work with. Fairly easy to pick up, even without the assistance of a highly knowledgeable team of people. I don't think you could go wrong with the Phase system. For me it came down more to the ergonomics of the cameras, which led me to Hassy. Now I just need to bite the bullet and actually BUY the system... which is where the beer comes in... haha.

-Alexander