The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Show Your High ISO MFD

Professional

Sorry if a bit off topic, but I saw on old post (http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6010) that Hasselblad had done a firmware upgrade that upped usable iso of H3d31 a stop. What's the chances of them doing that for other models in the (near) future?
I am barely happy with ISO 800 on my H4D, so if they will have a firmware to push it up to ISO 1600 i will not regret, if it is good usable it will be bonus, if not then i can always use ISO 800 and lower.

rem

Her one with 400ISO pushed +2EV in Phocus. Point of focus was the yellow "band" in front. With the new Macro 120/4.0, 160/4.0.

fotografz

Sorry if a bit off topic, but I saw on old post (http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6010) that Hasselblad had done a firmware upgrade that upped usable iso of H3d31 a stop. What's the chances of them doing that for other models in the (near) future?
If I recall correctly David, the H3D/39 was upped from 400 to 800 at the same time.

We have to remember that the non-micro lens sensors have a base ISO of 50 and the sensors like the 31 and 40 start at ISO 100.

-Marc

rem

and this is also with 400ISO, 120/4.0 VII 1/200sec/4.0 wit 1 EV push in Phocus (made in Köln).

fotografz

and this is also with 400ISO, 120/4.0 VII 1/200sec/4.0 wit 1 EV push in Phocus (made in Köln).
Nice.

So, did you have the 120 version-1 before getting this newer one? I would love to know what the difference is, since the 1st version is so good.

How is the newer one marked ... does it have a "n" after the name like the newer 150?

Thanks,

Marc

Professional

Nice.

So, did you have the 120 version-1 before getting this newer one? I would love to know what the difference is, since the 1st version is so good.

How is the newer one marked ... does it have a "n" after the name like the newer 150?

Thanks,

Marc
I am also interested to know about the difference between v.1 and v.2 of 120 Macro regarding about the quality.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I don't think anyone is suggesting that MF can compete with SF on a per-pixel basis for high ISO noise performance.

I believe Jack is suggesting that with the additional pixels that MF delivers, you don't have to pack it up when the situation calls for high ISO, but rather take advantage of those pixels to get good high ISO performance out of your back by averaging out the noise.
And,

You don't print or display at 100%. You print or display at a given size (e.g. 30"x40" or 1000pixel wide). If the dSLR noise ends up larger physically than the medium format noise that is a major consideration.

Unless your goal is to analyze numbers rather than pictures.
Exactly -- compare the cameras at total pixel counts, not actual pixels. Crank a DSLR sensor up to 60MP and they will be hella noisy!

rem

Marc and Tareq, I had the old Version only a few times to test, because I was not shure I will take the 120 or 150mm. Then 2 weeks before Photokina I would buy it but decided then to wait to look what Photokina brings;-) The difference seems to be a "II" engraved at the lens name

rem

I hope 200 iso is also high iso...;-) Here to pics with the new 120mm. On the new 50mm you see the "II". Both pics stright from the camera, sharpening 100 (default), only crop around.

S

stewpid

I hope it's ok if I insert one which relates more to the handheld mentions above, although it was med ISO - 200. Before I explain why I have posted, I absolutely know it's not great art, it's simply a bit of a building I had to get and had seconds, literally, to get it as the rain was starting.

I pointed the thing in more or less the right direction and fired off at a few different angles. I was truly shocked to see reasonable results at 1/20th! Normally I would steady my breathing, try to control the shaking (must try stopping my heart) rest against anything more solid than me and ever-so-gently squeeze the trigger. And still usually end up with a blur. Funny old world.

SergeiR

ISO400, Mamiya ZD back, pushed about stop up (i.e effective iso 800), handheld with RZIId at about 1/45, lit by campfire & twilight in forest. No noise removal been involved in processing. I hate to do it unless its really really required.

Last edited:

fotografz

That looks pretty good for ISO 1250.

Got anything shot at 1250 in lower light? Very curious to see it.

-Marc

fotografz

One of my friend, the Photographer Edward Richter.

Hand-held H3D-II/31 @ ISO 800, 1/60th shutter. HC 150mm lens @ f/4.5.

I think this was shot before I upgraded the firmware to enable ISO1600, so 800 was the top ISO.

-Marc

P. Chong

One of my friend, the Photographer Edward Richter.

Hand-held H3D-II/31 @ ISO 800, 1/60th shutter. HC 150mm lens @ f/4.5.

I think this was shot before I upgraded the firmware to enable ISO1600, so 800 was the top ISO.

-Marc
:thumbup: love the expression and the lighting.