Site Sponsors

Thread: Long Exposure with MFD: Show us photos

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Long Exposure with MFD: Show us photos

Hi,

I would like to see long exposures shots with MFD, how good they are, and your impressions about that.

I did some long exposure [up to 32s] with my Hasselblad, and i can't be sure about it, the resolution is really high and the sharpens is amazing, but it can be noisy sometimes and hot spots are friends with LE most of the times.

Here are 2 shots i did few days ago with H4D-60:

28mm, f16, 32s, ISO 100

28mm, f11, 16s, ISO 100

Would like to know what is the main issue with long exposure done by MFD, noise? heat? something else?
    Tareq

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Long Exposure with MFD: Show us photos

white balance seems way off, even given the weird lighting
    suggest you try a shot with a neutral card in the shot and set WB from that

Post Thanks / Like

Based upon those two images, it appears you may be a kindred spirit! Anyway, here are two from my outings last week. I'm still somewhat new to MFDB and still learning how to get the most out of the back as well as Capture One, so this is just a first pass at processing...

I did find noise to be a bit of a problem early on, but now that the weather has cooled here (70s v. 100s) and I know to turn the back off between shots, I generally haven't had any problems with it. Color balance is problematic given that the scenes I photograph often have several different types of light in them (which is why heretofore I've been converting to B&W), but I've been experimenting with color and am getting "interesting" results, so who knows?

P30+, ISO 100, F8, 32S, Contax 645 35mm

P30+, ISO 100, F8, 32S, Contax 645 55mm

And a bonus photo from an outing a few weeks ago...

P30+, ISO 100, F8, 32S, Contax 645 80mm
    Last edited by Audii-Dudii; 3rd November 2010 at 16:54.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    white balance seems way off, even given the weird lighting
    suggest you try a shot with a neutral card in the shot and set WB from that
    I know the color is weird here, but the colors there are really weird because it is mixed of tunges, flours, and those green cast, the trees there are surrounded with green light coming from somewhere, so it was difficult for me to give an accurate WB, and if i will do a custom white balance with a card, will that give me a big difference? could be giving me better WB but not that much difference for so mixed lights [trees, buildings, street, mosque, shops,....etc].
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Audii-Dudii View Post
    Based upon those two images, it appears you may be a kindred spirit! Anyway, here are two from my outings last week. I'm still somewhat new to MFDB and still learning how to get the most out of the back as well as Capture One, so this is just a first pass at processing...

I did find noise to be a bit of a problem early on, but now that the weather has cooled here (70s v. 100s) and I know to turn the back off between shots, I generally haven't had any problems with it. Color balance is problematic given that the scenes I photograph often have several different types of light in them (which is why heretofore I've been converting to B&W), but I've been experimenting with color and am getting "interesting" results, so who knows?

P30+, ISO 100, F8, 32S, Contax 645 35mm

P30+, ISO 100, F8, 32S, Contax 645 55mm
    those are really nice cold shots, i love the atmosph there, so quiet and cold feeling, how did you manage to set the WB then?
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Professional View Post
    those are really nice cold shots, i love the atmosph there, so quiet and cold feeling, how did you manage to set the WB then?
    So far, I've been capturing the images with the default Daylight setting and then using the White Balance tool in Capture One by clicking on a middlish-grey area to tweak the color balance during processing. I haven't yet tried to use the LCC tools, but that's next on my learning curve...

Oh, and thanks for the kind words about my images. Yours are pretty cool, too!

And here's another bonus one from the same outing where I captured the orange building above (it's a muffler shop during the day, btw), where the white-balance approach I outlined above worked very, very well...

Last edited by Audii-Dudii; 3rd November 2010 at 17:04.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Audii-Dudii View Post
    So far, I've been capturing the images with the default Daylight setting and then using the White Balance tool in Capture One by clicking on a middlish-grey area to tweak the color balance during processing. I haven't yet tried to use the LCC tools, but that's next on my learning curve...

Oh, and thanks for the kind words about my images. Yours are pretty cool, too!

And here's another bonus one from the same outing where I captured the orange building above (it's a muffler shop during the day, btw), where the white-balance approach I outlined above worked very, very well...

Ah i see, i may do that later but the problem is that i use Phocus not C1.

Nice shot again!
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here are 2 more shots:

Both are 32s
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like

Just a snapshot - didn't have much time for this one. Contax 645, 32 seconds @f8 35mm lens, Sinar eMotion 75LV.

Ben

Last edited by bdp; 3rd November 2010 at 21:51.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

P40+ on Arca Rm3d @ 40 seconds ISO 50

Last edited by Terry; 4th November 2010 at 01:10.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

P40+ 30 seconds ISO 50

Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice shots, it seems we are going to leave nightshots to landscapes daylight shots
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like

Nice shots, it seems we are going to leave nightshots to landscapes daylight shots
    Well, how about if I split the difference with a nighttime landscape shot of sorts?

P30+, ISO100, 26 seconds, F8, Contax 645 45mm
    Last edited by Audii-Dudii; 4th November 2010 at 05:44.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

several seconds...

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

more

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

these were from the bandon workshop, a fine time
    blad 205TCC, 40mm CFE IF, CFV39, shot at 50iso, longest at 18 seconds or so, probably f5.6

Last edited by jlm; 4th November 2010 at 08:45.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I've been trying a couple of long exposures in the last week or so when shooting by moonlight. 645DF with P45+ 8min at f11 at ISO100 8min at f10 at ISO200. Puzzled by the exif saying that weird exposure duration 8min31s, as I had set 8min manually and the timer seemed to count to 8min... Colours on second one are far more cyan as I had to do web version to get under the jpeg limit. Still haven't worked out how to get my photos as part of my post like others seem to achieve.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bax:
    i make 1200x900 jpgs for the web using PS
    up-load them into my gallery
    using the "insert images" icon in the new reply icon bar, paste in the URL for each image as shown in your gallery listing

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Amazing, i love landscapes long exposure shots more than nightspots, i started photography with nightspots as my favorite, but not so long i changed it to landscapes without regret, but still shooting nightspots.
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like

5 or 10 minutes after sunset, 30 Seconds, ISO 100:

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing, i love landscapes long exposure shots more than nightspots, i started photography with nightspots as my favorite, but not so long i changed it to landscapes without regret, but still shooting nightspots.
    For many years, I loved landscapes and daylight long-exposure shots as well. Unfortunately, I no longer have the time to photograph landscapes or even during daylight hours, as my so-called "day" job usually keeps me busy late into the evening as well. (I joke about working half-days -- i.e. 12 hours -- but it's not far from the truth. Besides, it's not the long days that bother me so much as the fact that my workweek usually has six or seven of them.)

Anyway, photographing at night has been a revelation for me and I usually manage two or even three outings a week, whereas if I was to try to photograph during the day, I'd only be managing one or two outings a month at best.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

nice one, Ed, magical.

Post Thanks / Like

Please, can you post a 100% crop as well with your images... noise being the problem, i'd like to see the texture...

thanks you very much !

Considering white balance in mixed lights situation, i select a fixed color temp... 3200, 3400 or 5600 and process it like that, then i fixe different part of the tiff 16 bits with U points... i don't have any use of a grey card in this kind of situation !

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

25s, ISO100, H3D-39 with 28mm

51s, ISO50, H3D-39 with 28mm

Post Thanks / Like

Peter,

this again shows (me - I own exactly the same camera and 28) what you already can achieve with this relatively "old" sensor design, especially in times when one starts thinking (WRT all the recent posts) that you have to have a P40+ or a H4D40 to get such results!

Truth is, newer sensor technology makes life easier for sure, but some creativity and willingness to work and think out of the box makes same results also possible in many areas with older technology. What we should learn of this - do not always run after the latest and greatest, this can make life much more relaxed and easier sometimes

Great shots, great samples of what can be achieved!

Peter

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

here is a 100% crop, at least i think so

Post Thanks / Like

The sun rose enough during the exposures to cause a gradient in the sky. There are a couple of other issues as well--I plan to go back to get it right, so I won't bother to fix the light trails at the seams in this trial version.

Original is 206MP.

Post Thanks / Like

Ursa Major/Plough/BigDipper...you choose. Taken in weak moonlight.

Mamiya 645AFD, Kodak DCS 645M, MC Arsat 30mm at f3.5, ISO 400, 12x 30sec

Post Thanks / Like

Ursa Major/Plough/Big Dipper...you choose. Taken in weak moonlight.

Mamiya 645AFD, Kodak Proback DCS645M at ISO 400, MC Arsat 30mm at f3.5, 12x 30sec.

Exact same set of frames, but processed in two different ways:
    - locking onto the celestial coordinates and letting the Earth do the turning
    - as originally seen by the camera on fixed tripod

(Ignore the colour balance difference; I wasn't paying attention to that).
    Last edited by ondebanks; 3rd February 2011 at 02:57. Reason: 1st post didn't go through for some reason.

Post Thanks / Like

Orion (in outer suburban skies)

Mamiya 645AFD, Kodak Proback DCS645M at ISO 400, 80/1.9 at f2.8, 59 sec.

What makes the Kodak one of the best MFDBs for this sort of shot is that its IR-block filter actually transmits the 656 nm emission line of ionised hydrogen. So Orion's nebulae look bright and red, as they should, and not a dim washed-out green, as virtually all stock MFDBs and DSLRs record them.

OTOH, like all MFDBs, the readnoise is terrible in comparison to DSLRs at high ISO. So the signal to noise falls off a cliff as you approach the fainter stars and lower surface-brightness nebulae.

In terms of star detection (limiting S/N), I would rate the Kodak back as equal to fresh ISO 800-1000 film. MFD should be much better than that, given the sensor's much higher q.e., but it's the readnoise and the dark thermal noise which set it back. Much more signal, but also much more noise.

In terms of colour, and especially sharpness, the Kodak back is far better than fast film.

BTW the Mamiya 80/1.9 is stunningly sharp across the whole field at f2.8 - much better corner performance than anything I've seen from a Zeiss Planar at f2.8.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

30 second multiple exposure
    NSFW: http://forum.getdpi.com/gallery/file...e_8350-900.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Inspiring thread - keep the images coming.

Post Thanks / Like

Now for something rather longer...25 minutes. Or rather, 50x 30 second exposures.

Perseus-Cassiopeia region, featuring the Double Cluster & the Double Nebula (aka "Heart and Soul" nebulae), the "E.T." Cluster, and several more deep-sky treasures.

Mamiya 645AFD, Kodak Proback DCS645M at ISO 400, 110/2.8 at f2.8, 30 sec x 50 frames, EQ6 equatorial mount tracking (but no guiding corrections). Taken from my back yard.

No sharpening or filtering.

2 views: Full frame, and central region at 50% zoom.

Again, the colours are realistic and the resolution is spectacular...but you'll just have to take my word for it because the forum software applies some horrible jpeg compression which really smears them. A starfield, with its countless sharp dark-bright transitions, is a red rag to a jpeg-algorithm bull.

The 110/2.8 is another fine M645 lens, wide open: on individual frames, the stars are pretty much Nyquist sampled right across the field. The lack of an AA filter helps, of course. The final stacked version is not quite as sharp because of the interpolation involved in registering the frames. And then the additional forum jpeg compression kicked in on top of that.

The limiting S/N is "not bad", but a FFDSLR would detect much fainter stars in the same amount of exposures. However, the DSLR would need to be modified to pick up the red of the nebulae.

Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ondebanks View Post
    Now for something rather longer...25 minutes. Or rather, 50x 30 second exposures.

Perseus-Cassiopeia region, featuring the Double Cluster & the Double Nebula (aka "Heart and Soul" nebulae), the "E.T." Cluster, and several more deep-sky treasures.

Mamiya 645AFD, Kodak Proback DCS645M at ISO 400, 110/2.8 at f2.8, 30 sec x 50 frames, EQ6 equatorial mount tracking (but no guiding corrections). Taken from my back yard.

No sharpening or filtering.

2 views: Full frame, and central region at 50% zoom.

Again, the colours are realistic and the resolution is spectacular...but you'll just have to take my word for it because the forum software applies some horrible jpeg compression which really smears them. A starfield, with its countless sharp dark-bright transitions, is a red rag to a jpeg-algorithm bull.

The 110/2.8 is another fine M645 lens, wide open: on individual frames, the stars are pretty much Nyquist sampled right across the field. The lack of an AA filter helps, of course. The final stacked version is not quite as sharp because of the interpolation involved in registering the frames. And then the additional forum jpeg compression kicked in on top of that.

The limiting S/N is "not bad", but a FFDSLR would detect much fainter stars in the same amount of exposures. However, the DSLR would need to be modified to pick up the red of the nebulae.

Ray
    Ray - How are you doing the stacking?

Post Thanks / Like

Woody, I use Deep Sky Stacker. It's free and it's astonishingly good.

It detects stars in every frame and uses a sophisticated pattern-matching algorithm to automatically compute the registration between frames, even if there are shifts and rotations between them. If so desired, it will also apply calibration frames (bias, dark, flat-field) to the input frames. Then it stacks them, offering a large choice of statistical algorithms for transient noise rejection and S/N weighting.

I choose to let it operate directly on the RAW input frames (it uses DCRAW as its RAW decoder), and for maximum control and precision I prefer it to output FITS format files (the astronomical standard). I then combine the FITS colour channels the way I want them in another free package, SAOimage ds9. But Deep Sky Stacker will also input tiffs and jpegs and output tiffs.

http://deepskystacker.free.fr/english/index.html
    http://hea-www.harvard.edu/RD/ds9/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody, I use Deep Sky Stacker. It's free and it's astonishingly good.

It detects stars in every frame and uses a sophisticated pattern-matching algorithm to automatically compute the registration between frames, even if there are shifts and rotations between them. If so desired, it will also apply calibration frames (bias, dark, flat-field) to the input frames. Then it stacks them, offering a large choice of statistical algorithms for transient noise rejection and S/N weighting.

I choose to let it operate directly on the RAW input frames (it uses DCRAW as its RAW decoder), and for maximum control and precision I prefer it to output FITS format files (the astronomical standard). I then combine the FITS colour channels the way I want them in another free package, SAOimage ds9. But Deep Sky Stacker will also input tiffs and jpegs and output tiffs.

http://deepskystacker.free.fr/english/index.html
    http://hea-www.harvard.edu/RD/ds9/
    Thanks - their website is very informative. I can set a camera up on an equitorial mount this weekend (weather permitting) and give it a try. It might also be interesting to see how the software handles non-astro subjects.

perjorgen

Here are a few from aout trip to Botswana

Kalahari desert
    15*64 sec 28mm f/4 iso 800

Baobab trees
    64 sec 28mm f/4 iso 50 (+1.7 EV)

Victoria falls
    64 sec 28mm f/4 iso 50 (+2.5 EV)

I have some problems with noise, but I am working on an algorithm to get rit of it (it might take a while though)

---
    http://botswana.perjorgen.com
    http://www.antarctic.dk

Post Thanks / Like

Some nice pictures here. Anybody using ND or ND-grads for long exposure shots? Filters like the Lee Big Stopper are great for daylight long exposures.
    Hrannar Hauksson
    http://www.hauxon.com

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

another from underground

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

another

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

32m, P45+, 645DF, Mamiya 35mm at F4.0 ISO 50
    Used the moonlight (1/2 moon) to illuminate the foreground.

Post Thanks / Like

Very impressive!
    My Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by perjorgen View Post
    Here are a few from aout trip to Botswana

Kalahari desert
    15*64 sec 28mm f/4 iso 800

Baobab trees
    64 sec 28mm f/4 iso 50 (+1.7 EV)

Victoria falls
    64 sec 28mm f/4 iso 50 (+2.5 EV)

I have some problems with noise, but I am working on an algorithm to get rit of it (it might take a while though)

---
    http://botswana.perjorgen.com
    http://www.antarctic.dk
    Nice images. What back did you use?

Ray

perjorgen

Nice images. What back did you use?

Ray
    Thanks
    I used a H3D-39