The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Long Exposure with MFD: Show us photos

Professional

Hi,

I would like to see long exposures shots with MFD, how good they are, and your impressions about that.

I did some long exposure [up to 32s] with my Hasselblad, and i can't be sure about it, the resolution is really high and the sharpens is amazing, but it can be noisy sometimes and hot spots are friends with LE most of the times.

Here are 2 shots i did few days ago with H4D-60:

28mm, f16, 32s, ISO 100

28mm, f11, 16s, ISO 100

Would like to know what is the main issue with long exposure done by MFD, noise? heat? something else?

jlm

Workshop Member
white balance seems way off, even given the weird lighting
suggest you try a shot with a neutral card in the shot and set WB from that

Audii-Dudii

Based upon those two images, it appears you may be a kindred spirit! Anyway, here are two from my outings last week. I'm still somewhat new to MFDB and still learning how to get the most out of the back as well as Capture One, so this is just a first pass at processing...

I did find noise to be a bit of a problem early on, but now that the weather has cooled here (70s v. 100s) and I know to turn the back off between shots, I generally haven't had any problems with it. Color balance is problematic given that the scenes I photograph often have several different types of light in them (which is why heretofore I've been converting to B&W), but I've been experimenting with color and am getting "interesting" results, so who knows?

P30+, ISO 100, F8, 32S, Contax 645 35mm

P30+, ISO 100, F8, 32S, Contax 645 55mm

And a bonus photo from an outing a few weeks ago...

P30+, ISO 100, F8, 32S, Contax 645 80mm

Last edited:

Professional

white balance seems way off, even given the weird lighting
suggest you try a shot with a neutral card in the shot and set WB from that
I know the color is weird here, but the colors there are really weird because it is mixed of tunges, flours, and those green cast, the trees there are surrounded with green light coming from somewhere, so it was difficult for me to give an accurate WB, and if i will do a custom white balance with a card, will that give me a big difference? could be giving me better WB but not that much difference for so mixed lights [trees, buildings, street, mosque, shops,....etc].

Professional

Based upon those two images, it appears you may be a kindred spirit! Anyway, here are two from my outings last week. I'm still somewhat new to MFDB and still learning how to get the most out of the back as well as Capture One, so this is just a first pass at processing...

I did find noise to be a bit of a problem early on, but now that the weather has cooled here (70s v. 100s) and I know to turn the back off between shots, I generally haven't had any problems with it. Color balance is problematic given that the scenes I photograph often have several different types of light in them (which is why heretofore I've been converting to B&W), but I've been experimenting with color and am getting "interesting" results, so who knows?

P30+, ISO 100, F8, 32S, Contax 645 35mm

P30+, ISO 100, F8, 32S, Contax 645 55mm
those are really nice cold shots, i love the atmosph there, so quiet and cold feeling, how did you manage to set the WB then?

Audii-Dudii

those are really nice cold shots, i love the atmosph there, so quiet and cold feeling, how did you manage to set the WB then?
So far, I've been capturing the images with the default Daylight setting and then using the White Balance tool in Capture One by clicking on a middlish-grey area to tweak the color balance during processing. I haven't yet tried to use the LCC tools, but that's next on my learning curve...

Oh, and thanks for the kind words about my images. Yours are pretty cool, too!

And here's another bonus one from the same outing where I captured the orange building above (it's a muffler shop during the day, btw), where the white-balance approach I outlined above worked very, very well...

Last edited:

Professional

So far, I've been capturing the images with the default Daylight setting and then using the White Balance tool in Capture One by clicking on a middlish-grey area to tweak the color balance during processing. I haven't yet tried to use the LCC tools, but that's next on my learning curve...

Oh, and thanks for the kind words about my images. Yours are pretty cool, too!

And here's another bonus one from the same outing where I captured the orange building above (it's a muffler shop during the day, btw), where the white-balance approach I outlined above worked very, very well...

Ah i see, i may do that later but the problem is that i use Phocus not C1.

Nice shot again!

bdp

Just a snapshot - didn't have much time for this one. Contax 645, 32 seconds @f8 35mm lens, Sinar eMotion 75LV.

Ben

Last edited:

jlm

Workshop Member
these were from the bandon workshop, a fine time
blad 205TCC, 40mm CFE IF, CFV39, shot at 50iso, longest at 18 seconds or so, probably f5.6

Last edited:

baxter

Well I've been trying a couple of long exposures in the last week or so when shooting by moonlight. 645DF with P45+ 8min at f11 at ISO100 8min at f10 at ISO200. Puzzled by the exif saying that weird exposure duration 8min31s, as I had set 8min manually and the timer seemed to count to 8min... Colours on second one are far more cyan as I had to do web version to get under the jpeg limit. Still haven't worked out how to get my photos as part of my post like others seem to achieve.

jlm

Workshop Member
Bax:
i make 1200x900 jpgs for the web using PS
up-load them into my gallery
using the "insert images" icon in the new reply icon bar, paste in the URL for each image as shown in your gallery listing

Professional

Amazing, i love landscapes long exposure shots more than nightspots, i started photography with nightspots as my favorite, but not so long i changed it to landscapes without regret, but still shooting nightspots.