The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

555 ELD for DB applications.

Seascape

When the 555 ELD was introduced it added electrical contacts to the body for a digital back interface. That was some time ago, and I suspect that those contacts do not interface with current MFDB designs.

Can anyone confirm any advantage for a 555 ELD vs a 553 ELX for a CFV digital back ???

I suspect that there is absolutely no advantage for a Phase One back, for instance.

Leigh

I'm using the 555ELD with a CFV-39 and the combination works flawlessly. It's a perfect match IM[-H]O.

The electrical interface between the body and the back works as designed.

Can't comment about the 553ELX since I've never used one.

- Leigh

fotografz

The CFV will work on most any V body. The 200 series cameras need to have a slight modification made at the factory before the CFV backs will work, and the super-wides are not recommended (even though I used to use a CFV/16 on a 903).

The CFV back doesn't rely on electronic contacts, the old film back mechanism is used to trigger the digital back and is the only DB that does this, so no advantage there for a 555ELD. The advantage of a 555ELD is that it is a newer design of the work-horse Hasselblad often used for high production studio work. If maintained well, it is sure to out live your great, grand children ... LOL!

Phase One, Sinar, leaf, and even Hasselblad CF backs (other than the CFV) require use of a sync cord from lens to back ... and they cannot be fully utilized on a 200 series V camera.

With a CFV/50 and select Zeiss lenses like the 40/4IF CFE, 60/3.5 CFi, 100/3.5CFi, and 180CFE ... and use of Phocus software which includes DAC lens corrections for most all Zeiss V lenses ... the V cameras can run neck-and-neck with just about anything available today in MFD made by anyone.

-Marc

Seascape

Thanks for the info Marc, I kinda suspected that the 555 ELD contacts really weren't connecting to anything these days...... Placebo Contacts :rolleyes:

Leigh

I kinda suspected that the 555 ELD contacts really weren't connecting to anything these days...
Then I'm afraid you're wrong.

The 555ELD body contacts are the ONLY electrical connection between the body and the CFV back.

There's no sync cord used, as is required with other bodies.

The 555ELD has two connectors for the remote release, one for film and a separate one for digital backs. When using the digital release, the mechanical film interface mechanism is disabled.

- Leigh

Last edited:

fotografz

Then I'm afraid you're wrong.

The ELD body contacts are the ONLY electrical connection between the body and the CFV back.

There's no sync cord used, as is required with other bodies.

- Leigh
I'd double check that. You may be thinking of the CF digital backs rather than the CFV. The CFV works on a 501CM or 503CW, etc. without using a sync cord. There are no electrical contacts on those 500 series cameras. It is the existing mechanics on the back of the V bodies that activates the digital back.

The CFV menu has selections for each type of Hasselblad camera. There is also a sync selection so you can use the CFV digital back on a view camera, or other non V leaf shutter type cameras like a Mamiya RZ. This is accomplished by using a V adapter and using a sync cord from a view lens or RZ lens sync port to the CFV back.

-Marc

Seascape

Leigh, my only reason for asking, is that there is a premium for buying a 555, vs a 553 or 500 ELX for instance.

If there is no advantage, any EL series body will do the job (at a more attractive price). I believe that is the case, as Marc has stated for a CFV back that works with many 500 series bodies without a cable or the electrical contacts.

Hasselblad documentation states that the 555 electrical contacts support a digital connection. It seems as though that is old information and not relevant to todays DB's, not sure but that is why I ask the question.

Leigh

Dunno, guys. Perhaps you missed my original comments.

I'm shooting a CFV-39 on a 555ELD, with over 2000 images so far. I think I know how the combination works.

I bought the 555ELD specifically to go with the back, because I didn't want to use a sync cord. This was the only body option that did not require a cord, according to the documents that came with my back.

I did research the other backs, since as you say the 555ELD commands a premium price.

The 555ELD is the only body that has a dedicated release connection for digital use.

- Leigh

Dolce Moda

I shoot with a 553ELX that I use with a sync cord. I paid $300 for a body that was in like new condition.
The extra thousand or so in my wallet made living with the cord much easier.

bensonga

Hi Leigh. I have a 503CW with the CFV16-II back and there are no synch cords required. I know Marc has used similar V-system camera setups....without synch cords for the CFV backs.

I also have a 553ELX which I think I could use with the CFV back without a synch cord. So my question is this.....what is the information which the 555ELD electrical contacts were originally meant to transmit to a digital back that a 553ELX could not? Does it somehow record information about shutter speed and aperture in the digital image file metadata that other V-series cameras are unable to transmit? If not this, then I don't know what benefit there would be for buying a 555ELD instead of a 553ELX (other than those Marc has already mentioned).

Gary

fotografz

Dunno, guys. Perhaps you missed my original comments.

I'm shooting a CFV-39 on a 555ELD, with over 2000 images so far. I think I know how the combination works.

I bought the 555ELD specifically to go with the back, because I didn't want to use a sync cord. This was the only body option that did not require a cord, according to the documents that came with my back.

I did research the other backs, since as you say the 555ELD commands a premium price.

The 555ELD is the only body that has a dedicated release connection for digital use.

- Leigh
Leigh, perhaps take a moment to re-read the CFV manual. ;)

Here it is straight from the Hasselblad website Data Sheet on the CFV:

Transforms V cameras:
The Hasselblad CFV turns virtually all V cameras into a high performance digital cameras in a very user friendly way. You attach the digital back and start shooting. A charged battery and a CF card must be in place, but no external cables are required.

This is the ingenious innovation of the CFV back ... no cords needed on any V camera made since 1957. :thumbs:

Gary, I seriously doubt the 555ELD can transmit any exif data to the back for Phocus to record lens info, or to use in applying DAC corrections for the Zeiss lenses. For one thing, only CFE lenses have any data bus contacts on the lenses, and the 555 doesn't have a method to update camera firmware since there isn't any in the first place.

The only way to have that feature is to use a H camera with a CF Adapter. The camera's firmware has a data base of all C type lenses which appears in the H camera's grip LCD selector. All CFE lenses automatically register without the need to select which lens is being used.

-Marc

P.S., Not trying to be a smarty pants here, I know all this stuff because I owned and used all this stuff ... including a 555ELD, 501CM, 503CW, 203FE and most all of the CFi and CFE lenses (some of which Gary now owns :)), and used the lenses on a H camera via a CF Adapter.

Last edited:

fotografz

Leigh, my only reason for asking, is that there is a premium for buying a 555, vs a 553 or 500 ELX for instance.

If there is no advantage, any EL series body will do the job (at a more attractive price). I believe that is the case, as Marc has stated for a CFV back that works with many 500 series bodies without a cable or the electrical contacts.

Hasselblad documentation states that the 555 electrical contacts support a digital connection. It seems as though that is old information and not relevant to todays DB's, not sure but that is why I ask the question.
If I recall correctly, those contacts were for V mount backs such as the iXpress Imacon units with proper data bus contacts on the back itself. There may have been other makes of digital backs that would interface with the 555ELD, But I don't know which they are.

Personally, IMHO, I think that unless you are into heavy studio production work 24/7/365, the 555ELD or any previous integrated motorized V is over-kill, and limits the versatility of using the CFV back in a more portable manner. A 503CW is modular with an add-on motor grip that's more ergonomic, uses AA batteries, and can be removed to make for a smaller over-all kit when desired.

-Marc

Some of my previous babies :) I still have the H2F but no longer use the V lenses via the CF Adapter ... it's now equipped with a Multi-Shot CF/39 back.

T

tetsrfun

I agree with Marc...If you want the best ergonomics with a motorized "V" series, it's a 503CW with attached winder and a PM/PME 45 prism. I don't know what Hasselblad was thinking with the motorized winder for the 203 FE.

Steve

Last edited:

jlanceimaging

I'm using the 555ELD with a CFV-39 and the combination works flawlessly. It's a perfect match IM[-H]O.

The electrical interface between the body and the back works as designed.

Can't comment about the 553ELX since I've never used one.

- Leigh
Hi Leigh,

I have a quick question -- to attach the cfv digital back to the 555ELD, will i need an adapter? I want to try using my cfv from my H4D on a 555ELD.

thanks in advance

Leigh

to attach the cfv digital back to the 555ELD, will i need an adapter? I want to try using my cfv from my H4D on a 555ELD.
The CFV-39 mounts on the 555ELD without any adapters or cables.
You put on and take it off just like you would a regular A12 magazine.

I believe the back for the H4D is the CF-39, not the CFV-39.

The CF-39 is not compatible with the 555ELD (maybe with an adapter).

I think the CFV-39 was an after-thought, to accommodate customers
who were still using the original V-series camera bodies.

It may require a sync cable with bodies earlier than the 555ELD.

- Leigh

Douglas Fairbank

Hi Leigh,

I have a quick question -- to attach the cfv digital back to the 555ELD, will i need an adapter? I want to try using my cfv from my H4D on a 555ELD.

thanks in advance
It will fit as it is but you will need an adapter to fit the battery, or to put it another way, if you are powered via tether it will fit and work with no adapter.

narikin

On a related note, if, by chance, anyone here wants a Hassy CF back to Alpa 12 adapter, I have one sitting spare, very affordable. please PM me if so.

PSon

Hi folks many great informations are presented here by some of the most well known Hasselblad professional and hobbyist users. I like to add a few missing informations and summarize the compatibility here for all of those who are interested in using digital backs on these timeless cameras:

Hasselblad digital backs that work on the Hasselblad 500 and 200 series cameras are:

1) Hasselblad CF and Imacon iXpress digital backs were built for universal use with the Hasselblad 500 series cameras and any other brands of camera such as the Contax 645, Hasselblad 645 H, Mamiya 645 AFD, Mamiya RZ67, Fuji GX680, ALPA, Cambo, Arca Swiss, and etc. via a specific adapter. These CF and iXpress digital backs require a sync cable to the leaf shutter of the lens. Thus in this case of interest, the Hasselblad 500 series cameras (500CM, 501CM, 503CX, 503CXi, 503CW, 500ELX, 553ELX, and 555ELD), the CF and Imacon iXpress ditial backs can be used with a sync cable to the leaf shutter of the lens. In the case of the Contax 645, Hasselblad H, and Mamiya 645 AFD cameras, the CF backs do not need any sync cable because of the modern electronic shutter are sync via the digital back gold pins already. The CF and iXpress digital backs will work with the 200 (except the 202FA which has no shutter ring to allow the use of leaf shutter lens), 1600, 2000, and 2003 series cameras if the lens have leaf shutter built in them such as the C, C T*, CF, CB, CFi, CFE lens and the shutter ring on the camera has to be put on the C position. The CF and iXpress digital backs can also be used with all the 201F, 202FA, 203FE, 205TCC, 205FCC, 1600F, 2000FC, 2000FC/M, 2000FCW, and 2003FCW cameras, but require a double cable release or using the flash sync feature in the digital back setting (see image below taken with the Hasselblad 2000CF/M Anniversary + Planar T* 110mm F2.0 F at F2.0 + CFV16 mark I digital back).

2) CFV digital backs such as CFV16 mark I, CFV16 mark II, CFV39 and CFV50 were designed to shoot more friendly without a need for the cable sync to the lens with the Hasselblad 500 and 200 series (must be modified by Hasselblad with the exception of the 201F which cannot be modified due to the non electronic shutter) cameras. Please note that only the 202FA, 203FE, 205TCC and 205FCC can be modified for CFV digital backs. Again, as stated above all of the 200 and other focal plane shutter series cameras do not require any modification to be used with the CFV digital backs if you use the double cable release or utilizing the flash sync option in the setting of the CFV digital backs. A wake up cable to the digital back is required.

More specifically regarding to the CFV digital backs and their compatibility with the built in motorized cameras (500ELX, 553ELX, 555ELD):
The CFV digital backs work on the 500ELX and 553ELX without the cable via selecting the camera as ELX in the digital back. The 555ELD will not work without the cable sync to the lens if you choose the camera as ELD in the digital back. However, the 555ELD has an add on receiver in the front end below the lens so that you can use the IR trigger remote. Once you put the receiver on and select digital instead of film you can select ELD in the CFV digital back and it will work without the sync cable to the leaf shutter lens. In my opinion, the main feature of the 555ELD is to shoot tether to the computer and especially for multi shots functions such as 4 shots and 16 shots.

To be more complete in the given information, the 503CXi and 503CW have a detachable motorizer which you can add to the camera. The motorizers on these cameras (CW motorizer) have the IR built in for wireless release.

Last edited:

arionelli

No hands on experience with either a cfv back (yet) or the base-motorised 'blads so please correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading somewhere that one benefit of the 555etc series is that if you wire it to the cfv back then you don't have to fidddle with the back when you're shooting slower than 1/8th sec. Why is that, by the way?
You would also gain some assistance with the extra weight/inertia of a 555 in mirror-damping during hand held shots, although there's nothing to stop you adding your own "ballast" to a 50x body.