The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Does Phase One has T&S lens?

Dan Santoso

Hi,

I have a new project that needs a t & s lens. I heard of the 45mm T&S for phase one but I cant find it anywhere.

Is the lens available? can I find a t&s lens for phase one 645DF? I cant find one in Phase one site

I dont want to rent Canon:mad:

Thanks,
Dan

Last edited:

kdphotography

The Hartblei 45mm tilt shift super rotator works, though quality control may vary greatly from lens to lens. You can find these around on occasion but it can command a premium. The Phase 45mm t/s was rumored to be "hand-picked" Hartblei 45mm with better glass coatings and a great *cough* *cough* sales price. I think this endeavor is one Phase wants everyone to forget quickly and turn your attention to its D series lenses and the recently announced Schneider t/s 120mm lens....

Talk to Guy---he probably has one already. :D

ken

p.s. Take a peek here: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20654

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
What is your application? Still Life? Creative portrait? Landscape? Architecture? Product?

For anything but Architecture/Landscape (which require wide and ultra wide lenses) I'd strongly suggest the X-2 as a "plug and play" view camera solution.

http://www.captureintegration.com/solutions/digital-view-camera/

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One at 10% off

Dan Santoso

I shoot commercial and I have to shoot very tallll office building now. This is my first to shoot a tall building.

My 28mm phase one barely fit the building and I have the tilt the camera super up.

There is no way I can correct in photoshop...or are they ways?

Thanks

Dan Santoso

I shoot commercial and I have to shoot very tallll office building now. This is my first to shoot a tall building.

My 28mm phase one barely fit the building and I have the tilt the camera super up.

There is no way I can correct in photoshop...or are they ways?

Thanks

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
You can tilt the camera up and correct the perspective in Photoshop. However the results will not be as good as a dedicated solution.

The Cambo Wide RS technical body with a Rodenstock 23mm is the ideal solution for your needs: http://www.captureintegration.com/solutions/digital-view-camera/. Depending on which back you have you will have a few, or several mm of movement and an extreme wide angle of view without compromising on quality.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I really should have said "an" Ideal solution rather than "the" ideal solution.

The Rodenstock OR Schneider 28mm, the Rodenstock 23mm or the Rodenstock 32mm with most of the Arca, or Cambo, or Alpa tech bodies would be ideal solutions.

Though the 23 is probably the way to go if you're already having to tilt the camera "super up" with a 28 mounted.

chrismuc

The Rodenstock HR-W 32mm and the Schneider XL 28mm provide a sufficient 90mm image circle for shift movements. The Rodenstock HR-S 23mm with 70mm image circle allows nearly or no shift movement (depending on the sensor size of the back). So only the first two lenses help to avoid PS perspective alignment.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
The Rodenstock HR-W 32mm and the Schneider XL 28mm provide a sufficient 90mm image circle for shift movements. The Rodenstock HR-S 23mm with 70mm image circle allows nearly or no shift movement (depending on the sensor size of the back). So only the first two lenses help to avoid PS perspective alignment.
Exactly: "depending on the sensor size of the back". If he is using a P40+ he'd still have 8mm or so of rise, which is a LOT given how wide he'll be shooting.

Also if it's a tall skinny building you can go another 2-3mm of rise beyond that since the corners will vignette and get soft but the corners will only contain sky and the building will still be safely in the image circle.

chrismuc

Fully shiftet, the view angle of the 23mm (70mm image circle) lens is comparable to 14mm on 135, of the 28mm (90mm image circle) lens is about 12.5mm, of the 32mm (90mm image circle) is about 14.5mm. This is independent of the sensor size (smaller sensor allows more shift resulting in same view angle). So the 28/90mm still gives the widest image angle.
BTW: But no MF lens reaches the result of the Canon 17 TSE with it's 67mm image circle. This translates on a 36x24 sensor and 12mm shift to a view angle of 10.5mm
:)
Multiple shift does not help because with one shift you reach already the diameter of the image circles of the lenses. (of course if you use shift horizontally left/right for panorama one would stitch two shifted pics.) But for a high building I assumed that he would use the sensor vertically and the discussion is about how high one could shift to get the building on the shot w/o tilting the cam.

S

svema

Hi,

I have a new project that needs a t & s lens. I heard of the 45mm T&S for phase one but I cant find it anywhere.

Is the lens available? can I find a t&s lens for phase one 645DF? I cant find one in Phase one site

I dont want to rent Canon:mad:

Thanks,
Dan
I use lens Hartblei 45mm tilt shift super rotator. Very good lens. I use for a landscape. This lens can be bought on ebay. PhaseOne and Hartblei it is the same lens. At Hartblei last year the contract with PhaseOne has ended and they independently now let out this lens.

adamduckworth

I had a look on eBay for the Hartblei 45mm super rotator, and in pictures it looks different to the Phase One lens.
Anyone shed any light?

Phase One lens at http://www.peartreephotoshop.co.uk/product-p/70232.htm

Hartblei one is http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280577703935&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Doug, having read your (always useful) posts, been pondering my options for some tilt/ shift stuff for my Phase One DF/p40+.

I'm starting to do some "light" interiors work, if you see what I mean. Hotel rooms, bedroom sets, that type of thing. So a bit of perspective correction is needed. What would be a reasonable option? A Hartblei? I have the super-rotator for Nikon and it's a bit warm. Anyone know if the glass has improved?

A Cambo X2 thingy? bearing in mind I have lots of Mamiya/ Phase lenses for the DF (including the tio of LS lenses).

I don't have any other lenses, like old Hassie stuff etc, as that's what it seems to suggest I need to also buy to use the X2 with the Phase One.

Or best go for a tech camera and lens(es). Which seems like an awfully expensive way for an occasional-use thing.

Thanks fellas!

Last edited:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Physical casing was redone. Optics were recoated and the tolerances supposedly tightened but in our experience real world performance was only modestly increased and the sample-variation which plagued the 45mm (one would be terrible, another good, and another very good) was still present in the Phase branded version - possibly less so, but hard to say conclusively without more total samples.

It's not a bad lens, but it was not what we hoped for when the lens was announced.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One at 10% off

yaya

Adam, if all you need is perspective correction and 50mm is wide enough for you, or if you're OK with a bit of stitching, then the Mamiya 50mm/ f4 shift lens might be your solution. It is quite good optically and is very easy to use

Yair