Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: v700/750 Request Full Res scan

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: v700/750 Request Full Res scan

^ I might point out that my scans are usually MUCH sharper than this at 100% so I'm kind of thinking this might have been pre-holder/inserts. For example, this shot, using the same film/developer... No 100% crop, but trust me, at full size you can practically count the nails in the floorboards of the porch... It was also shot with a better lens, though handheld and not on a tripod (as the above) and finally, less glare entering the lens...

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

^ Teddy Roosevelt's house, BTW.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It really isn't all that difficult to determine what will work. Just get a V700/750 because it is highly useful anyway. Then have a favorite neg scanned professionally and compare it to what you get from the Epson Flatbed.

The really expensive scanners could also be viewed as a benchmark for price. How many scans will you actually do? For the price of a really good scanner, you can get a LOT of pro scans done of select images for larger prints ... and scan the rest on the V700.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Double Negative View Post
    ^ I might point out that my scans are usually MUCH sharper than this at 100%...
    Did you print any of these images? If yes, what was the largest size that gave you good results?

Thanks,
    Valentin

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Hmmm, not trying to be mean ... but they look flatish and oddly colored and about the quality of a good 3/4ths digital camera, if even that. Not sure using a MF film camera and great lenses plus all the effort to scan ... to then dumb down the quality ... is anyone's true objective is it Gary?
    -Marc
    Mean? I never take anything you've written in that way Marc. I've benefited from your experience and knowledge too much to think otherwise.

I have no doubt that scans from a mid-range setup like the V700/V750 could be equaled or even exceeded by images from a very good digital camera. So you're absolutely right in this respect....if I was smart, I would have taken half the money I've spent on medium format film camera gear (bodies, lenses, finders, backs etc) and put it into a much better scanner. In hindsight....that's what I should have done.

In my world as it exists today....I've got the V750 which serves me well for both medium and large format film scans. Not the best by any means, but for my purposes, it does the job pretty well. I am keen to have some of my film re-scanned with a better scanner now.....so once I see those scans, who knows what gear I might decide to part with in order to buy a 949, X1 or X5.

However, one thing is certain, I won't be parting with your 350mm CF lens. For as long as I have my V-system gear, that lens is a keeper! :-)

Gary