The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

v700/750 Request Full Res scan

jlm

Workshop Member
here is a V700 scan from a 4xt tri-x neg. These were among the first scans i did when getting the V700, laid negs right on the glass.

jlm

Workshop Member
another, 4x5, V700 tri-x. these were all quick scans; another go would probably improve the results

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Here's a crop from a 3200 ppi scan of 6x7 Provia on my rather ancient Imacon. It's the blue area near center.

Effectively, there's about 45MP in those scans, or about 2700 dpi. B&W does better since the channels vary slightly in focus, and only the sharpest needs to be kept. So with B&W I'd say it pulls the full 3200 dpi, or about 50-60MP from 6x7. Or very close to it.

The newer 848/949/X1/X5 undoubtedly do much better than my Precision II.

Last edited:

Professional

Now what did the OP decided so far? i just posted a color film, i have more color films from different cameras and i did more with B&W, all of them scanned with V750, so what is the conclusion for OP to decide?

S

shuttershane

I really appreciate everyones examples and opinions.

For now it looks like I may just get a digital back for the Contax. The scans all look good, but I am thinking I need something around 30-40Mega pixel scans to get the detail I want on a print larger than 30inches.

I have been talking with a Phase One dealer who sent me some examples from a p30+ and p40+. I did a 30x40 print last night using one of these p30+ files and it look awesome....better than anything I have done with my 5D MKII at that size.

Again thanks to everyone who showed examples.

tjv

If film processing wasn't so damn expensive here now, I'd invest in an Imacon, no doubt. I love the look of film but in this age it's just not practical. It's a shame.

Good luck.

Professional

You are welcome, i went with a digital MF and funny i started with film this year just after i owned a digital MF.

Good luck!

Christopher

P65 ;-), film is great bit if one wants to print big its the way to go. I'm stunned everytime I look at my p65 imagees. Now if I could only get liveview ;-)

Double Negative

Not Available
I use a v700 as well, and went the extra step and outfitted it with the variable height holder and ANR inserts for 120. They make a world of difference! Being able to find the scanner's sharpest height and keeping the film as flat as possible definitely helps a lot.

I usually scan at 3,200dpi but never more. There's obviously nothing further to be gained at this point.

Here is a sample. Ilford PanF+ souped in Xtol 1:1. First the full-sized image, then the 100% crop of the building near the center. Oddly enough, I don't recall offhand if this image was scanned with the holder/ANR insert. But they're the only samples I had onhand either way. :)

Double Negative

Not Available
^ I might point out that my scans are usually MUCH sharper than this at 100% so I'm kind of thinking this might have been pre-holder/inserts. For example, this shot, using the same film/developer... No 100% crop, but trust me, at full size you can practically count the nails in the floorboards of the porch... It was also shot with a better lens, though handheld and not on a tripod (as the above) and finally, less glare entering the lens...

fotografz

It really isn't all that difficult to determine what will work. Just get a V700/750 because it is highly useful anyway. Then have a favorite neg scanned professionally and compare it to what you get from the Epson Flatbed.

The really expensive scanners could also be viewed as a benchmark for price. How many scans will you actually do? For the price of a really good scanner, you can get a LOT of pro scans done of select images for larger prints ... and scan the rest on the V700.

-Marc

bensonga

Hmmm, not trying to be mean ... but they look flatish and oddly colored and about the quality of a good 3/4ths digital camera, if even that. Not sure using a MF film camera and great lenses plus all the effort to scan ... to then dumb down the quality ... is anyone's true objective is it Gary?
-Marc
Mean? I never take anything you've written in that way Marc. I've benefited from your experience and knowledge too much to think otherwise.

I have no doubt that scans from a mid-range setup like the V700/V750 could be equaled or even exceeded by images from a very good digital camera. So you're absolutely right in this respect....if I was smart, I would have taken half the money I've spent on medium format film camera gear (bodies, lenses, finders, backs etc) and put it into a much better scanner. In hindsight....that's what I should have done.

In my world as it exists today....I've got the V750 which serves me well for both medium and large format film scans. Not the best by any means, but for my purposes, it does the job pretty well. I am keen to have some of my film re-scanned with a better scanner now.....so once I see those scans, who knows what gear I might decide to part with in order to buy a 949, X1 or X5.

However, one thing is certain, I won't be parting with your 350mm CF lens. For as long as I have my V-system gear, that lens is a keeper! :)

Gary