Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: v700/750 Request Full Res scan

shuttershane

v700/750 Request Full Res scan

Hey Guys,

I was wondering if anyone here would be willing to send me a full resolution scan of 645 format velvia 50 (or similar) using a Epson V700 or V750 scanner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: v700/750 Request Full Res scan

First of all, why you want that?
    Second, it must be 645 format or any other MF format as well?
    Third, it must be Velvia 50 or another color? or B&W is fine too
    Forth, what kind of shots you want, landscapes, portraits, abstract,....etc?
    Last, i have only V750, so i hope this is what you really ask about.
    Tareq

shuttershane

Well I am picking up a Contax 645 and plan to use it for Color Landscapes and occasional portraits. I am trying to decide on a scanner and from what I am reading the v700/750 is a good choice. What I really want to see is how well this scanner does for 645 format on high quality film. I know the Nikon 9000 is a better choice, but I really want to see if it is worth the higher cost.

really I just want to see what a full res scan on the v700/v750 looks like. The only thing I really have to compare would be a 5D MKII.

Hope that helps

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have any experience with any of the scanners, but I was looking into a more economical solution since the scans that I get from the lab suck big time.

I found this in depth review of the scanner; it also compares it to the Nikon one.

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/int...750/page_1.htm

From my reading, it looks like it's a great choice for less than half the price compared to the Nikon one.

Post Thanks / Like

1600 dpi max res.... that's a 24x30cm @ 300Dpi

shuttershane

Quote Originally Posted by archivue View Post
    1600 dpi max res.... that's a 24x30cm @ 300Dpi
    I was reading it was actually 2400dpi max res

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shuttershane View Post
    I was reading it was actually 2400dpi max res
    The link I posted says 4800dpi optical resolution. Where did you get the 2400dpi figure from?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I can scan maximum with 6400dpi with V750.

I can send a full resole scan from it, but the file size is horrible, unless you want JPEG then it will be smaller even still large, but i don't have any 6x4.5 film camera, i have MF from 6x6 up to 6x12, so if you ok with any of those format even you will get 6x4.5 then i can send you, but i recommend you to get Hasselblad 6x6 or Bronica, forget 6x4.5 and get something bigger, i am sure if you get Hasselblad or Bronica which are cheap these days then you will never look back, and i can tell you that the scanner V700/V750 can do a great job, i also wish to get Nikon, Nikon is winner clearly with 35mm, and with MF it is hardly to see a big difference, and V700/750 can scan LF which will beat those MF scans.

Here are few examples in resized resole for you, maybe not so good enough or interesting results, but to show you what i did with that scanner [v750] so far:

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/8157/img073x.jpg

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/2116/img072.jpg

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/7048/img071.jpg

http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/3752/img070.jpg

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/5452/img069.jpg

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/7749/img063m.jpg

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/6296/img012x.jpg

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/2223/bw4f.jpg

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/5971/img0112ar.jpg

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/3678/img0101ye.jpg
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like

The 2400dpi number for the V500/V700/V750 is bandied about a lot. I use it as the base resolution for my V500. But it seems like I can stretch it to 3200dpi with good shots and get more detail. I can't say I've ever seen any meaningful improvement above that.

The benefit of the V700/V750 IIRC is greater Dmax and wetmount capability

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I also heard that 1600-2400dpi is the best we should use those V700/V750 at, beyond that no more gain details improving worthy there, slightly with 3200, but with 6400 i heard it may not be the best option to go with, i keep using 2400 all the time, sometimes 1200-1600 for web size, for prints 2400-3200 is just enough and as good i can use, maybe one day if i can have Nikon i may try 3200 or 4800dpi to see the quality.
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like

1600 is the real resolution of the V750... numbers are just marketing !
    i have a V750 and a close friend bought the top of the range hasselblad/imacon...
    while, i've found that the pro scanner is really expensive compare to a digital back... and really close to the V750 for small prints... for larger prints, there's no comparison !

shuttershane

My main concern is to get a resolution high enough for 22x30 and 30x40 prints. I do this already with my 5D MKII and most of the time it looks good.

BTW Professional thanks for posting those images.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by shuttershane View Post
    My main concern is to get a resolution high enough for 22x30 and 30x40 prints. I do this already with my 5D MKII and most of the time it looks good.

BTW Professional thanks for posting those images.
    You welcome, my pleasure
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by archivue View Post
    1600 is the real resolution of the V750... numbers are just marketing !
    Can you link where you got that information from? It's one thing to have wording that's only marketing and a different thing to spell out the specifications.

I can see saying that v750 is capable of 128,000 dpi as marketing (that would be marketing because it's interpolated) and another thing to say 4800 dpi is marketing since that it's listed as the optical (which is the actual resolution).

Post Thanks / Like

Can you link where you got that information from?
    from users, including myself !

google V750 real resolution...

an other example :

"I tried scanning at different dpi to find out where the 'break point' was i.e. the point where extra dpi on the slider doesn't result in any increase in effective resolution. I tried quite a few resolutions and did see a jump around the 1600-2400 mark. If we say that the maximum resolution is typically a multiple of the native resolution, then the frankly ludicrous 28800 dpi should scale down to either 3200 or 1600. I tried scans at 1600, 2400 and 3200 and tried scaling the smaller ones up and could not tell a huge amount of difference. In fact, in some cases I saw more resolution out of the 1600 than the 2400.. I thought this was an anomoly but tried a few more times and it seems like the the 2400 and 3200 does some form of interpolation or double passing which smears fine detail. The 1600 dpi scan definitely holds a little more detail although it is undoubtedly slightly noisier. That said, if I reduce the noise with a good filtering program, the results are no worse than the 2400, 3200 scan."

http://www.timparkin.co.uk/blog/7394353370023240828

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks archivue. I think it's a thing of semantics. Optimal resolution vs the actual resolution. Kind of apertures and lenses: there is an optimal aperture, but that doesn't mean the lens is not capable of other apertures.

SCHWARZZEIT

Here is a test on the v700. On a USAF1951 scanner target they could resolve 2300 spi optically. Keep in mind that this is a very high contrast target. So with real world contrasts on film the 1600 number seems to be more realistic.

The resolving power of film is very different compared to a digital camera sensor because it stretches over a long range depending to a large degree on the original contrast. For high contrast detail i.e. more than 2 stops contrast, most modern films resolve more than 100 lp/mm with some microfilm (ADOX CMS 20 or SPUR ORTHOPAN UR) being able to resolve more than 250 lp/mm on film which is out of range of even the best available drum scanners. But when your contrast drops detail easily gets lost in the grain structure of the film and your actual resolving power is much smaller. It's really interesting to see what normal films do to image detail compared to that microfilm which is capable to almost resolve the aerial image of the sharpest 50mm Zeiss lens available. It's obvious how a film's grain structure attacks the optical image even at lower frequencies. This is where film based image degradation starts but it's long way until high contrast resolution drops. So with a v700/750 you may be able to resolve the clean part of the film image but it doesn't let you see deep into the bowels of the film's grain structure.

Basically you have to control the contrast transfer across the whole imaging chain. There is detail as long as your contrast is up. With every optical link you lose some contrast. I would just make sure that the scanner isn't the weakest link.

Of course there are other quality aspects besides resolution when it comes to scanning like tonal range, color gamut, Dmax and signal noise ratio. All of it matters. Bottom line with scanners is you get what you pay for. On the other hand there are some good deals on drum scanners on the used market, probably because of their inconvenience and the longer learning curve involved. However, once you're into it you don't want to use anything less. The Dante proverb might be appropriate on that subject as well.

-Dominique

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be honest and say I have a V700 and I'm lucky to have a Nikon 9000 and 8000 at work. Compared to the Nikon scans, the scans I get from my V700 are horrible. I bought the Epson because I wanted to be able to proof quickly at home but I was hoping it would be high enough quality to also print finals up to A2 size. Unfortunately the D-Max just isn't good enough and without very fiddly methods it's hard to keep the film flat enough - I use a glass carrier in the Nikons. Also, the Epson scans show a lot of flaring on high contrast edges. In short, I've given up using the V700 for all but basic proofing.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have a V750 PRO. I use it for normal scanning of documents and old family photos ... and originally got it to scan my library of B&W prints from years ago ... which it does wonderfully.

I have scanned negs from a Contax 645, Mamiya RZ, Hasselblad 203FE, and from my Hasselblad H2F with film backs ... the RZ pics being the best because of the 6X7 film size.
    These were done on the 750 (or the Epson model immediately preceding it), because the demand of the image quality was low ... proofs, proof sheets, web use, and small prints.

There are a number of factors to consider besides published resolution numbers, and the debate as to which is best. I can say from experience that debate is fruitless.

At the final print size you want to make, none of the arguments mean much. Using any of the above cameras with the best films available, the Epson will be the weakest link in the imaging chain. My very first Medium Format film dedicated scanner (a Poloroid model), was better.

The D Max of the V700/750 isn't very good at holding shadow detail, so in pratical terms, the numbers they publish are less meaningful, or how there arrive at those numbers. Who cares? It isn't very good.

I don't even know what kind of lens is used in the V750 or if there is even one ... the Imacon/Hasselblad scanners use Rodenstock lenses by comparison.

Scanning at the best multi-pass resolutions takes an eternity on the flatbed, and keeping the film flat with Medium Format films is difficult during long scan times. If you are using a vacuum film back on the Contax, that feature will be wasted.

So, I'd have to agree ... you get what you pay for, and there are no magic short-cuts to high image quality ... especially at those print sizes.

Depending on how many images you really need scanned ... it may be better/more economical to use a high-end scanning service that caters to art photographers. Or maybe there is a place where you can rent time on a Hasselblad or Imacon scanner.

-Marc

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Said another way ....

Since I got my MFDB, my film output has been very limited. Even a bottom of the barrel back like my ZD beats the pants of my Epson V700.

I still do shoot the occasional 4X5 with either film or fujiroid, but that style of shooting is far and few between.

From all I have read and seen, unless you are at the top of the line Nikon, digital is just better than film digital.

Early on, I made the decision that all my color work was better on a D300, and ONLY did B&W on the Fuji 645 or LF.

just my 2 cents, YMMV.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    ...I don't even know what kind of lens is used in the V750 or if there is even one ... the Imacon/Hasselblad scanners use Rodenstock lenses by comparison....

-Marc
    The simpler flatbeds usually have a 45-degree mirror under the scan light path, and a fairly simple lens group in front of the sensor. The sensor strip usually is about 2 inches wide or so.

One of several major problems with scanning film on a flatbed is that the light source covers the entire width of the flatbed so there is a lot of light bouncing around.

Another problem is cooling - usually the scan mechanism sits in an unventilated box under the glass - to keep dust out. This means that the box heats up over time. My Microtek 1800f was (is) particularly bad in this respect - scanning an 8x10" transparency at high resolution with multi-sampling yielded a bright green blackpoint towards the end of the 1-hour scan. This is of course less of a problem with a shorter scan time for a MF scan, but it's a good idea to keep the scanner ventilated if working with it for several hours.

Another issue - especially with Epson scanners, it seems - is softness. As several posters above have commented, Epsons never seem to deliver nominal optical resolution in the final scan. Set your expectations accordingly.

An upside with the V700 series (and many other scanners) is that wetmounting is really easy and should be considered if scanning images with high density.

It can also be worth the effort to do some custom masking using black tape, to minimize stray light.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Post Thanks / Like

Why would you want the cheap Epson scanner to be the weak link in your system, effectively dumbing down the inherent resolution and contrast in your Contax lenses to something you won't be very happy with. Do yourself a big favor and don't settle for anything less than a Nikon 8000 or 9000, which will actually give you scans equal to or better than an Imacon once you learn it. Personally, I wouldn't bother with anything less than a good Howtek or ICG - the Howteks being the more affordable choice - and what I've been using exclusively for the last thirteen years or so. My philosophy is that you'll pretty much end up re-scanning later on, everything you ever scanned on a crappy scanner. Once you see what a really great scan is - and the scanner operator makes a huge difference as well - you won't want to waste your time on anything less than the best you can afford. Yeah, drum scanners are a pain to learn, but once you get up to speed, it really isn't a big deal, and they're not all that expensive to get into, just to fix.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Valentin View Post
    I found this in depth review of the scanner; it also compares it to the Nikon one.

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/int...750/page_1.htm

From my reading, it looks like it's a great choice for less than half the price compared to the Nikon one.
    I own the V750 Pro and have gotten pretty decent scans of medium format and 4x5 film with it. While I've never actually used a Nikon 9000 myself, I have a friend who owned one and I've seen quite a few of his scans. They are good....but I wouldn't say they were noticeably better than the V750 scans. That's just my overall impression, but is consistent with the review from Photo-i linked above (which I had read before deciding to purchase the V750).

The OP didn't say if he had a price range in mind...but in the $500-$800 range for a new scanner, I think the V700/750 does a pretty good job. In my case, I wanted to scan both medium format and 4x5 sheet film....so the V750 fit the bill nicely.

Of course, if I could find a Hasselblad scanner at a price I could afford, that would be my first choice!

Shuttershane.....if you're still looking for some full res scans with the V750, I have many color and BW scans from Pentax 67, Hasselblad, Mamiya TLR and even a few with a Pentax 645. Have a look in my Subscriber Gallery and let me know if there's anything there you would like to see. Here's an example, taken with a Hasselblad 501CM, 80mm Planar on Fuji Provia 100....and scanned with the V750 of course.

Someday, I would really like to get one of my negatives or transparencies scanned with a Flextight scanner so I can appreciate the difference. On the other hand, maybe it's best that I don't know.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

I read the photo-i review also before buying my V700 and I also bought the the adjustable MF film holder from better scanning, or whatever they are called. I can say with absolute certainty that the V700 is nowhere near the same league as the Nikon scan, either MF or 35mm and certainly not with slide film. Less D-max, way less sharpness, more flare. Great value for money, but not close to the Nikon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I wish I had thought to get my friend to scan some of my color transparencies with his Nikon 9000 while it was still working. The film transport mechanism on his 9000 failed twice. It was quite expensive to repair and when it failed the second time he decided not to get it fixed since he doesn't shoot much film anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, that has happened with the 8000 at work a few times. Not cheap and parts for the 8000 are no longer available in NZ. I've had a few Imacon 848 scans done and they were good, although I wouldn't say any better than the 8000/9000 scans I've done myself. I'd assume with careful operation by me I'd push more out of the Imacon, but I can't say that for certain. To be clear, I think the V700 is great value for money, I just wouldn't expect it to give even near the resolution possible with a 12mpx dslr, even when scanning 6x4.5 film. Of course the other option is to buy the V700 for proofing and paying for the occasional drum scan when best quality is needed.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used both the Epson 700 and Imacon 343 extensively (now the Hassy, but not sure they offer this lower model), and offer the following:

- for 35 mm, the Epson just doesn't do the trick. There just aren't enough horses to pull the cart.
    - the 343 has been much used on some 35 mm microfiche line drawings, and the results are impeccable. Tight, sharp, laser like. Great tonality. On 6x6 film, the 343 is clearly better. Haven't done a "back vs. film" comparison with it, but the scanner is very very good.
    - surprisingly, the 700 is workable with larger film (6x6 or bigger) for smaller prints especially - say up to 11" squares. The OP mentioned print sizes, but if those are inches - I don't think the 700 will do the trick. I haven't gone larger with its scans, and don't want to. It is quite convenient, fast, has dust removal, etc. but is not the complete cure. That said, I was surprised that for striaghtforward work, it was definately a workable tool and easier and faster to use than the 343. I'd probably scan a roll of film on it, and if I found one shot that was to be worked hard, get a drum scan. The scans are definitely better than the 8 mb commercial scans, and can be quite nice for the price/ease of use trade-off.

Overall, the 700 is a great workhorse, and is used a lot. If for larger prints - not sure it has the results you are looking for. OTOH, I've never wet mounted on it, and really tweaked it so there may be some upside still there.

Years ago, At a Cone work shop in VT, they took a 6x6 neg and did a huge drum scan of it, and we printed it about 24" square - and it was just lovely. More than the 343 could do, but then again, they knew what they were doing - but it took about 30 minutes to get a good scan. Good scanning is about precision, very small bits of it matter a lot. For really big prints, you need a lot.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tjv View Post
    Yeah, that has happened with the 8000 at work a few times. Not cheap and parts for the 8000 are no longer available in NZ. I've had a few Imacon 848 scans done and they were good, although I wouldn't say any better than the 8000/9000 scans I've done myself. I'd assume with careful operation by me I'd push more out of the Imacon, but I can't say that for certain. To be clear, I think the V700 is great value for money, I just wouldn't expect it to give even near the resolution possible with a 12mpx dslr, even when scanning 6x4.5 film. Of course the other option is to buy the V700 for proofing and paying for the occasional drum scan when best quality is needed.
    I can say for certain the that Imacon 848 will crush other dedicated scanners ... and the 949 will crush the 848, a the best of the drum scanners will crush the 949.

BUT, you have to learn how to use them. Back when I shot film more extensively I tried all of them, and took the time to learn the in's and outs and use of the software. Just like MFD, profiles play a huge role the scanning experience, and that takes time to learn.

I do not say this lightly, and didn't approach my year testing all the choices as a frivolous task. It represented a huge potential investment gap between a four figure scanner and a 5 figure one. What I did learn is that you do indeed get what you pay for.

My Hassey rep brought me a 848 to use for a couple of months ... but more importantly, he trained me on it. Once up to speed, I ended up rescanning every film I had ever shot and scanned on a Polaroid, Nikon and Minolta MF scanner. Then I committed to a 949 because it was even faster, and had a better light source than the 848. I then rescanned some key films with this scanner.

The Imacon/Hassey scanners are built like a tank and are commercial grade ... I've had zero issues with my 949 and it is easy to maintain (I've since sold to a film shooter as I moved deeper into MFD). It is also the fastest table-top scanner on the planet. Scanning is actually fun when there is no mess and no fuss, no film flatness issues, and the scan is done before you can prep the next film for scanning

Just my $10K worth.

tokengirl

Quote Originally Posted by tjv View Post
    Of course the other option is to buy the V700 for proofing and paying for the occasional drum scan when best quality is needed.
    +1

I have the V750, and it's a terrific scanner for the money. But you do get what you pay for.

tokengirl

To give you an idea of what to expect from the V750, this is a 35mm Ektar negative scanned at 3200 dpi using Vuescan software with the infrared cleaning set to "light".

Full photo resized for web:

First crop from above photo at 100%:

Second crop from above photo at 100%:

I think this is pretty darn good, I did not expect the whiskers on her chin to be so clear. I wish I had access to a Coolscan and an Imacon to compare.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tokengirl View Post
    +1

I have the V750, and it's a terrific scanner for the money. But you do get what you pay for.
    I think you have to take in consideration the intended end result as well. If you plan on printing a large billboard or very large prints, then yes, this might not be a good choice. If you print 8x10 or slightly larger, then it looks like this is a good option.

I don't have experience with it, but I've been looking a different tests done by different people. Is it the best out there? Nope, but at the same time, it doesn't break the bank.

The link that I posted earlier, compares it with the Nikon scanner. Yes, the Nikon scanner is better, but the difference is not big while the price is 3 times the Epson.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is one scan i did few hours ago, scanned with V750 @ 3200dpi, Velvia 50, Hasselblad 501CM with 50mm CF

http://www.mediafire.com/?ot84iio879d4k3l

Maybe not a good example but i didn't use film good enough last months ago.
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another shot done with same film and same camera and film i used above, the film is expired if you ask, the colors are not the best that day, i didn't use any filter, the heat were nearly 48C with high humid, so i can't say those are the best, but i showed this to you to imagine how hard are the conditions and the results were not very bad, even with Nikon or drum scanner it will not give me much better results, slightly better with Nikon and noticeably quality with drum scanner but not huge difference.

Crop

Did little more adjustments with PS on it to enhance color [even i am not good in correcting or enhancing colors with film]

All that with the normal attached film holder from Epson, if i used that better scanning then i may get better results, also with wet mount i heard i can get better results more as well, and don't forget my manual focus maybe not spot on, what else to say, at the end if this scanner is really bad and not good enough then we have to save more bucks to go with dedicated film scanner or even drum scanner, i hope one day i can do that.
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've made many good prints from V750 scans of medium and large format film at print sizes of 11x14, 11x17 and now 13x19. I suppose at the print sizes the OP mentioned, there could be some problems. And of course, what looks ok to me might not to someone else. As others have said, for the V700/750 it really comes down to value for money....and in my case the added attraction of being able to scan 4x5 sheet film (vs the Nikon 8000/9000).

Both Tokengirl's and Tareq's scans look good enough to me for decent quality prints. I was actually surprised at how good the scan from 35mm film looked. I haven't used my V750 for 35mm film. I just saw your images of the bench Tareq....those look VERY good to me.

I suppose as Marc and others have mentioned, reduced dynamic range would be the biggest limitation.

Any one have recommendations on where I could send some film to be scanned with a Hasselblad scanner, such as a 949/X1/X5? I really would like to see what I'm missing.
    Last edited by bensonga; 10th November 2010 at 15:25.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    I've made many good prints from V750 scans of medium and large format film at print sizes of 11x14, 11x17 and now 13x19. I suppose at the print sizes the OP mentioned, there could be some problems. And of course, what looks ok to me might not to someone else. As others have said, for the V700/750 it really comes down to value for money....and in my case the added attraction of being able to scan 4x5 sheet film (vs the Nikon 8000/9000).

Both Tokengirl's and Tareq's scans look good enough to me for decent quality prints. I was actually surprised at how good the scan from 35mm film looked. I haven't used my V750 for 35mm film. I just saw your images of the bench Tareq....those look VERY good to me.

I suppose as Marc and others have mentioned, reduced dynamic range would be the biggest limitation.

Any one have recommendations on where I could send some film to be scanned with a Hasselblad scanner, such as a 949/X1/X5? I really would like to see what I'm missing.
    I think one day i have to send one of my films to the lab i use for processing and ask them to scan with their drum scanner [Imacon i think], they have 2 drum scanners, one for up to MF and the other able up to 8x10 large format, so i can compare it to V750 and see how much difference i can see, i asked them to scan 2 films so far but they did so low quality size scanning with Noritsu minilab scanner, the quality in fact was superior even with that small size resolution, but it wasn't much big difference than V750, at the end i really wish to have Nikon 9000 to have better scans over my Epson, whereas i can't afford a drum scanner at the moment, i will do a test where i will use my H4D-60 with 120 Macro lens as a scanner and see the result.
    Tareq

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Professional View Post
    I think one day i have to send one of my films to the lab i use for processing and ask them to scan with their drum scanner [Imacon i think], they have 2 drum scanners, one for up to MF and the other able up to 8x10 large format, so i can compare it to V750 and see how much difference i can see, i asked them to scan 2 films so far but they did so low quality size scanning with Noritsu minilab scanner, the quality in fact was superior even with that small size resolution, but it wasn't much big difference than V750, at the end i really wish to have Nikon 9000 to have better scans over my Epson, whereas i can't afford a drum scanner at the moment, i will do a test where i will use my H4D-60 with 120 Macro lens as a scanner and see the result.

You know, an old fashioned slide copier that used to fit over a lens would be a great idea to use with a digital camera ... just get the negs developed and proofed, and then shoot the selects with the digital camera even tethered so you could adjust until perfect, and invert the neg image in Photoshop.

THIS 35mm version ...

http://specialtyphotographic.stores....slcounpro.html

WITH THIS:

http://specialtyphotographic.stores....inecaboun.html

You would have to jerry-rig your own for MF films ... maybe an old Macro Bellows could be used?

-Marc

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post

Hmmm, not trying to be mean ... but they look flatish and oddly colored and about the quality of a good 3/4ths digital camera, if even that. Not sure using a MF film camera and great lenses plus all the effort to scan ... to then dumb down the quality ... is anyone's true objective is it Gary?

The real test is thinking about a broader application in all types of lighting scenarios ... not just fat light where there are little to no D-Max challenges.

IMO, 35mm is a good test if you are going to print MF films large. An 16 X 20 print pulled from a 35mm scan can reveal what you may well get at 20 X 30+ from MF.

Here's one from an Xpan IDSO 400 film where the shadow areas were held pretty well on a Minolta dedicated MF scanner. The 949 would improve on it greatly.

-Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    I'll go with definition number 3.

-Marc

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

here is a V700 scan from a 2-1/4 tri-x negative shot with my old Rollei

TLR

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

here is a V700 scan from a 4xt tri-x neg. These were among the first scans i did when getting the V700, laid negs right on the glass.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

another, 4x5, V700 tri-x. these were all quick scans; another go would probably improve the results

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tokengirl View Post
    Second crop from above photo at 100%:
    You can downsize this to about 50% though without losing any detail, though. This tells you the resolution is closer to 1600 than 3200 dpi. Of course, your original could be soft as well.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's a crop from a 3200 ppi scan of 6x7 Provia on my rather ancient Imacon. It's the blue area near center.

Effectively, there's about 45MP in those scans, or about 2700 dpi. B&W does better since the channels vary slightly in focus, and only the sharpest needs to be kept. So with B&W I'd say it pulls the full 3200 dpi, or about 50-60MP from 6x7. Or very close to it.

The newer 848/949/X1/X5 undoubtedly do much better than my Precision II.
    Last edited by Jan Brittenson; 11th November 2010 at 07:53. Reason: Oops, wrong image and bad math :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now what did the OP decided so far? i just posted a color film, i have more color films from different cameras and i did more with B&W, all of them scanned with V750, so what is the conclusion for OP to decide?
    Tareq

shuttershane

I really appreciate everyones examples and opinions.

For now it looks like I may just get a digital back for the Contax. The scans all look good, but I am thinking I need something around 30-40Mega pixel scans to get the detail I want on a print larger than 30inches.

I have been talking with a Phase One dealer who sent me some examples from a p30+ and p40+. I did a 30x40 print last night using one of these p30+ files and it look awesome....better than anything I have done with my 5D MKII at that size.

Again thanks to everyone who showed examples.

Post Thanks / Like

If film processing wasn't so damn expensive here now, I'd invest in an Imacon, no doubt. I love the look of film but in this age it's just not practical. It's a shame.

Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You are welcome, i went with a digital MF and funny i started with film this year just after i owned a digital MF.

Good luck!
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

P65 ;-), film is great bit if one wants to print big its the way to go. I'm stunned everytime I look at my p65 imagees. Now if I could only get liveview ;-)

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a v700 as well, and went the extra step and outfitted it with the variable height holder and ANR inserts for 120. They make a world of difference! Being able to find the scanner's sharpest height and keeping the film as flat as possible definitely helps a lot.

I usually scan at 3,200dpi but never more. There's obviously nothing further to be gained at this point.

Here is a sample. Ilford PanF+ souped in Xtol 1:1. First the full-sized image, then the 100% crop of the building near the center. Oddly enough, I don't recall offhand if this image was scanned with the holder/ANR insert. But they're the only samples I had onhand either way.