The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica S2 vs Hasselblad H4D

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnygoesdigital

I want to thank everyone for the quick and thoughtful replies on a back up camera system in a previous thread, but now my question turns to Leica and the S2 model.

For me this seems like an ideal camera, because of the large MFD sensor, battery, the weather and dust seals and the choice of using either focal plane shutters for speed or curtain shutters in the lens for high flash sync.
Cleaning a Hasselblad is easy as the components are accessed quite readily. However, this convenience I think, leads to it's ability to "get dirty" more frequently. I do enjoy cleaning gear, just not as often. Weather sealing for me is a big deal and surprised there's not more on the Hasselblad. I have read some shoot with the H4D with no issues in weather, but I err on the side of caution. As for the Leica S2, i've read reports of noise at high ISO and a base of only 160. Also, with Leica you have to pay extra for better customer service that seems to be standard with Hasselblad.

symbolphoto

The Hasselblad system is fantastic. The software extends the quality of the system. Truly. Try it out for yourself. The list of lenses are fantastic. To clean it, it literally takes less than a minute. I don't see what the big deal is.

I've never tried the Leica, so i can't speak to it, but i notice things people are saying about it, and the lack of lenses and correcting software seem like killers for me. That and the price.

Dolce Moda

Having to pay extra for customer service for a camera you paid over $20K for is bulls***
Another thing to consider is almost every rental house in any city will be able to rent Hasselblad lenses to you should you need something you don't already own. With a Leica S2 ... good luck with that.

johnnygoesdigital

Symbolphoto,

Great points, I agree the Hasselblad is quick and easy to clean. I like being able to take the individual components apart.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The Hasselblad is wonderful. perfect, complete system, reliable -BUT BIIIGGGG!

The S system is still in its early evolution but what you get is a perfect camera, which outperforms many of the Hasselblad backs although it has only 37.5 MP. Why this? Because it has the better lenses and it is smaller and supports much more agile photography.

If I would have no MF system today (I have Hasselblad) I would decide for the S2 and 2 or 3 lenses.

If you really like latest and greatest innovation in MF digital then go for Phase! Nothing will top their technology advantage they have today.

Well - no easy decision - I know!

symbolphoto

This is the second time i heard someone say Leica's S2 lenses are better than Hasselblad. Where are people getting this from?

Have you ever looked at a well composed photo using a Hassy 100 2.2 or 35-90 F4? The image quality is out of this world.. can the Leica really be that much better? And if so, where is the proof?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
This is the second time i heard someone say Leica's S2 lenses are better than Hasselblad. Where are people getting this from?

Have you ever looked at a well composed photo using a Hassy 100 2.2 or 35-90 F4? The image quality is out of this world.. can the Leica really be that much better? And if so, where is the proof?
I use the Hassy 100 2.2 myself and also the 28. Great lenses indeed!

IQ out of this world? Questionable! Rather top of the range on this world!

I also used the Phase 28 and some other Phase glass on a Phase camera with a P45+, P65+ and P40+ and the IQ was same as the Hassy IQ!

I used the S2 with 35 and 70 and I only can say that IQ is stunning - maybe not out of this world, but stunning! Try it yourself!

Peter

PS: not all my photos of course are well composed

PS1: enough of my photos are pretty great looking nevertheless! :)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I will choose Leica S2 over Hasselblad 31mp or 22mp, but i will choose Hasselblad 39, 40, 50, 60 over S2 always.
While I understand that you would choose S2 over H 31 and 22, I cannot understand why you would prefer H39 over S2 ?????

H40, 50 and 60 maybe, but I know people who had H50 and sold it after they tried the S2 :confused:

And I tried S2 myself and I am convinced it is at least equally good as my H39 and I could imagine it would be not distinguishable from a H50.

What you get on benefits? The most advanced, completely designed MF digital system today, very fast, robust etc. BUT expensive :rolleyes:

I think it is all a matter of what you really need!

fotografz

They may well be clinically better on charts and in the minds of others, but I've yet to see one single image that bears out that idea from all that I've looked at so far. And I keep looking, and looking, and looking. No Magic ... yet.

So, who cares what others say, or don't say?

Rather than taking exception ... take pictures ;)

-Marc

sinwen

When you see Leica has dropped the R system, leaving customers on the pavement, you can think they could do it again with the S if they don't meet their expectations, and I guess they don't from what I read, they aren't many owners.
Now who knows, selling a handful of items a month might be enough for them ? When you see the price, it could be.

xpixel

When you see Leica has dropped the R system, leaving customers on the pavement, you can think they could do it again with the S if they don't meet their expectations, and I guess they don't from what I read, they aren't many owners.
Now who knows, selling a handful of items a month might be enough for them ? When you see the price, it could be.
They have already sold a 4 figure number of Leica S2... not bad in 2010...

fotografz

They have already sold a 4 figure number of Leica S2... not bad in 2010...
Where is that information published? Just curious. It'd also be interesting to see a statistical breakdown of who's buying the S2.

But, I guess I wouldn't specifically doubt it ... it's a nice camera, and evidently there are still enough people with the price of entry, since none of this stuff is inexpensive to say the least.

What seems to be a burr under the saddle, is the persistent Leica mind-set of yet to be realized image superiority from fans ... which was justified to some degree when it was Leica M and R verses the rest of the gang of 35MM cameras ... but MF is a whole other category of comparison verses some major, very sophisticated players and very versatile gear in the hands of some of the best photographers on the planet.

I've seen the proof from Phase, from Leaf, and from Hasselblad ... still waiting on the S2.

I see lots of fluffy bun, but where's the BEEF! :ROTFL:

-Marc

symbolphoto

They may well be clinically better on charts and in the minds of others, but I've yet to see one single image that bears out that idea from all that I've looked at so far. And I keep looking, and looking, and looking. No Magic ... yet.

So, who cares what others say, or don't say?
Ok, good. I thought it was just me. :ROTFL:

Rather than taking exception ... take pictures ;)
-Marc
No exceptions, i just put this forum on different level vs. some of the other forums that have less experienced folk on it. And since PTOMSU has both systems, i'd love a side by side comparison. As you are in the perfect position to conduct such a test and the rest of us aren't. 100% crops plz.

Professional

While I understand that you would choose S2 over H 31 and 22, I cannot understand why you would prefer H39 over S2 ?????

H40, 50 and 60 maybe, but I know people who had H50 and sold it after they tried the S2 :confused:

And I tried S2 myself and I am convinced it is at least equally good as my H39 and I could imagine it would be not distinguishable from a H50.

What you get on benefits? The most advanced, completely designed MF digital system today, very fast, robust etc. BUT expensive :rolleyes:

I think it is all a matter of what you really need!
Because of higher MP even 1-2mp more!

In fact i am most of the time going with more mp over something else, and that is why i went with H4D-60 from H3DII-39, and because S2 is new so that i will choose it over 22 and 31 which are some old models, but even 39 is old but it has more appealing over 22, 31 or even that S2, i saw shots of S2 and i feel it is more as 35mm DSLRs than a MF shots, but i know it is a great capable camera, but honestly speaking, i will prefer to go with a MF that is in the markets long time ago with more accessories and lenses than new MF system that want to be a competitive to another well known brands, will see how many S2 users will be in the future against Hassy and Phase One or Leaf.

fotografz

Ok, good. I thought it was just me. :ROTFL:

No exceptions, i just put this forum on different level vs. some of the other forums that have less experienced folk on it. And since PTOMSU has both systems, i'd love a side by side comparison. As you are in the perfect position to conduct such a test and the rest of us aren't. 100% crops plz.
Why? Who cares?

All these "current" MFD cameras, lenses and accessories are so good that the main limitation is usually the person using it.

-Marc

symbolphoto

Why? Who cares?

All these "current" MFD cameras, lenses and accessories are so good that the main limitation is usually the person using it.

-Marc
I agree, i actually do just want to see the difference though. Doesn't impact myself or my shooting. More out of curiosity than anything else...

Paratom

Why? Who cares?

-Marc
Thats what I just thought. I admit that I love the smooth rendering of some of my Rollei (Zeiss and Schneider) lenses but overall I admit that the IQ one sees from Hassy MF images and Mamiya/Phase Images looks all so good and Iwould expect the same from the new Leica lenses.

If I had to decide between the systems (which I dont have to because I allready went the Hy6-way) I would rather look at factors like:
-availability of lenses
-speed and more important accurancy of AF
-user interface of camera and software
-reliability and service
-size and handling
-price and value
-flexibility

I personally doubt anybody could detect any practical IQ differences between those systems. Just my opinion.

The S2 is smaller and lighter and weather sealed-but the lenses are the same size and bulk. How much do you really gain?

As a hobby photographer who prints big but not that big I would wish for something else by the way:
A 35mm full frame sensor with the character of a MF sensor: ccd, no AA, maybe not so great high ISO but great low ISO detail and tonality
Something like the M9, but with the AF speed and accurancy of a Nikon D700/D3 camera. Give it 16MP or 24 if possible.
The DMR was a little bit like that but I just didnt manage the manuel focus that well.

Status
Not open for further replies.