Site Sponsors

Thread: Hasselblad back on Horseman SW-DII

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hasselblad back on Horseman SW-DII

My Horseman SW-DII arrived last week together with a 35mm Rodenstock APO Sironar. I thought I would share a few notes on it.

The Horseman is beautifully made -it's precision machined out of solid blocks of metal. It weighs a little over four pounds with the lens. The back shifts all four directions up to a maximum of 17 cm. Shifts are not geared, but they are very smooth. There are detents at the center and at 10 mm shift. I thought that I would be using sifts primarily to stitch but was surprised to find the Hasselblad has implemented a live view feature in Phocus 1.0 and the new version of FlexColor so it's possible to compose view-camera style when working tethered. (This works in interiors but not in daylight because the sensor maxes out in daylight in live view mode, even at f22).

The Hasselblad back (in my case an H 39) attaches to the camera via an adapter plate. The adapter in turn attaches to the camera with two knurled cams - very elegant - the adapter is square so the back can be rotated in 90 degree increments. The viewfinder mask can also be rotated 90 degrees.

The Hasselblad back is not powered, so you need to work tethered or attach a Hasselblad Imagebank, a 100 gig external hard drive + battery that Hasselbad sells at the bargain price of $2K, via a firewire 800 cable. I found that it was quite possible to use the camera as a walk around point and shoot with the Imagebank in my pocket.

Here's what it looks like:

Attachment 5052

Attachment 5051

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Hasselblad back on Horseman SW-DII

Woody I have the identical setup myself as i bought it as a option with the Phase 25 plus back . Same lens and such. The one big difference is Phase backs have the battery on the back itself so no need for having a image bank like Hassy uses and i do not have to be tethered although i can be. Really a cool setup and really looking forward to working with mine. I do have a small lens issue that was lose so it went back for replacement or repair but CI is sending me a lens until that all get's straightened out. i did do a couple quick tests and it is a awesome setup and fairly small but I did ask Lance to get me a hassy V plate so I can use a Hassy SWC focusing screen on it and use it that way also . i can focus than replace with back when ready to shoot when being tethered is not a option. Look forward to seeing some images .

Jim Collum has the same setup also and soon a few others here as well
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was actually looking at a Silvestri Bicam and Flexcam and trying to figure that out . Be nice to have a technical camera that maybe able to do the same thing.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

After a number of false starts (instructions are scant on the subject of using Hasselblad backs on third party cameras) and trial and error I got the combination working reliably. The key issue in my mind was how do deal with the color casts across the frame that you expect when shooting non-retro focus wides digitally. This image illustrates the problem (f8 shifted 10 mm in the direction of the left side of the frame):

Attachment 5056

Nasty isn't it.

On another thread where I first raised this issue I learned that FlexColor includes the ability to shoot a white reference frame - FlexColor applies corrections to subsequent frames based on the reference frame. Phocus 1.0 does not include this feature - this is an absolute must for the next release. In FlexColor shooting tethered you shoot the reference frame (I use an Expodisk), identify it as a reference frame; FlexColor uploads it to the back and subsequent frames are properly corrected. This too took some trial and error - the reference frame seems to work best if exposed to the middle grays. The most common mistake I made was not turning this adjustment off when shooting a new reference frame - otherwise the adjustment is corrected with the last adjustment leading to very weird results. You can use this feature shooting untethered, making the corrections when you import the images to FlexColor, but you need to tether the camera to activate the feature (think of the camera as a gigantic dongle).

So here is the white reference frame for the above image:

Attachment 5057

And here's the image as corrected by FlexColor:

[Attachment 5058

Even on the web you see one of the advantages of the Hasselblad - absolutely lovely color straight out of the box.

Note to Hasselblad: Please, please include this feature in the next release of Phocus.
    Last edited by Woody Campbell; 1st June 2008 at 05:37.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Finally, on the lens: this is a very, very fine lens. It almost no barrel/pincushon distortion which is terrific for architectural subjects, but the laws of nature for wide angle lenses are what they are so there is some distortion of the shapes of objects at the edge of the frame. It's very sharp at the center. I can't really comment on edges at this point. The samples below were shot at f8 (I decided to work with light from the window to avoid mixed lighting). Focus is perfect on the central wine bottle (Phocus has a very cool focus aid in live view) but the focus plane may not be parallel to the wall so the lower left wine bottle may be out of focus a tad.

Here is the center crop:

Attachment 5060

Here is the corner crop. Note the geometric distortion. As noted above it looks like focus is slightly off in the corner.

Attachment 5061
    Last edited by Woody Campbell; 1st June 2008 at 06:09.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody I have a special calibration target that Phase included in my package . So all I would do is take the reference shot with the target over the lens than C1 will create a calibration for the lans and make the corrections as you did in Flexcolor . I agree Phocus should also have this feature.

Maybe Jim can chime in and tell us what he uses for his Aptus 75. I am new to the Horseman so may take me a little bit to get going

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Finally, some stitches. I set the back on the camera in portait orientation and did horizontal shifts. This setup is a joy to work with compared rotating the camera. Of course if working in color you need a separate white frame for each shift. 10 mm left and right shifts are comfortably within the lens's image circle at f8 and result in and 8400x7200 file. I was surprised that the full 17mm shifts were also within the image circle at f8 - this results in a roughly 10000x7200 file. The latter pixel count is getting up into the scanning back range, which is the reason to do this.

Here is the stitch (PTGui) with 10mm shifts (the geometry of this image suggests that the focus is actually slightly behind the bottle on the floor):

Attachment 5065

Here is the stitch (Autopano Pro) with 17mm shifts:

Attachment 5066

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Interesting..vignetting with these wides is a fact of life - but fortunately pretty easily corrected with thsoftware these days..you didn't think of the Rodenstock 28 instead of the 35?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Peter the Phase package is the 35mm but if you want a 24mm it is a little more. Thought about a 28mm myself

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

See the one issue is the natural distortion of these lenses as Woody has mentioned. I would think the longer lens would be better since there is less of that and a 3 vertical stitch can still get you pretty wide.

Be interesting to know what focal length like the 24,28,35 and 50 would be the new effective focal length with a three vertical stitch. Does anyone have that type of info. Would be nice to know after a 3 stitch what the new effective focal length of the images is

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    Interesting..vignetting with these wides is a fact of life - but fortunately pretty easily corrected with thsoftware these days..you didn't think of the Rodenstock 28 instead of the 35?
    The 28 has a fairly limited image circle that doesn't give much scope for shifts. Since I bought the Horseman primarily for the shift capability the 28 didn't seem like the best choice. In any event I've got the HC 28 when I need that focal length.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    See the one issue is the natural distortion of these lenses as Woody has mentioned. I would think the longer lens would be better since there is less of that and a 3 vertical stitch can still get you pretty wide.

Be interesting to know what focal length like the 24,28,35 and 50 would be the new effective focal length with a three vertical stitch. Does anyone have that type of info. Would be nice to know after a 3 stitch what the new effective focal length of the images is
    I could make the calculations but its not necessary. Here's where you M8 kit comes into play: pop you Frankenfinder on the Horseman. There is a slight bit of play which you can fix by putting a small patch of the fuzzy side of velcro on the bottom of the finder shoe - I've done this with all of my finders after losing while carrying the m8 under my arm.

You'll need to make some mental adjustment for the difference in aspect ratio but the 24mm lines fairly accurately frame the unshifted 35mm; the 21mm lines fairly accurately frame the 10mm shift stitch, and the 18 mm lines fairly accurately frame the 17 mm stitch. Since the Frankenfinder doesn't rotate the ability to rotate the back is important. The parallax correction works pretty well. If you set up the camera tethered with liveview and the frankenfinder you can sort this out for yourself in a few minutes

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Woody I may have to explore other external finders and been thinking about that . The one supplied is very very nice but BIG

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I should mention that Lance Shad earned kudos in pulling this kit together and getting it to me quickly. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Woody, looks like you have an affinity for nice Bordeaux wines! I am a claret lover myself. Bad for pocketbook!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Biggs View Post
    Woody, looks like you have an affinity for nice Bordeaux wines! I am a claret lover myself. Bad for pocketbook!
    Like MF gear in that respect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is another image - this one demonstrating the Horseman + 35 in action as a "view" camera. The image below takes advantage of 10mm of shift, dropping the field of view while preserving geometry. It turns out that 10mm is quite a useful amount of shift. The image is a composite of 3 focus bracketed shots put together with Helicon Focus. Exposure was at f16. With this setup you really see the trade off as you stop down to reduce vignetting and enlarge the image circle - diffraction significantly reduces contrast and resolution in the center.

Full image (the horizon gives you an idea of how far the shift is):

Attachment 5206

Center crop (180% sharpening - diffraction really has had an impact here; note the moire in the brick):

Attachment 5207

Crop showing Hellicon Focus working flawlessly between the foreground and the background (there was a bit of wind - Helicon's rendering of the plant on the right, which moves between images, looks like it results from a long shutter time - a good result):

Attachment 5208

Edge crop, showing a fair amount of general funkiness - 10mm is about the limit shifting this lens unless you are looking to create an effect:

Attachment 5209

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Woody that is a pretty big shift down .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody sorry I am bit late in responding to this. We offer a small plexi plate that we use for the PhaseOne systems, that I am sure should work for the Hassy system. Here is what it looks like. I am going to send one out to you today.
    BTW looks like you are getting the hang of the system. Enjoy.

Lance Schad
    Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
    305-394-3196 cell | 305-534-5702 office
    Capture Integration
    My Blog
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lance,
    Does that replace or work better than a center filter or do you use both?
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by lance_schad View Post
    Woody sorry I am bit late in responding to this. We offer a small plexi plate that we use for the PhaseOne systems, that I am sure should work for the Hassy system. Here is what it looks like. I am going to send one out to you today.
    is that similar to an Expo disc.. that's what i've used successfully to get calibration files for the Aptus.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It seems to be without the fluorescent ceiling light diffuser.
    I think the intent or rationale is to make it more uniform.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don't need the center filter Bob just use this and in C1 calibrate to it than save that for your files. At least that is how i see it. It is actually like a piece of milk plexiglass and just hold in front of lens take a shot than use that lens and lighting for your calibration than use that profile made in C1

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Woody I have a special calibration target that Phase included in my package . So all I would do is take the reference shot with the target over the lens than C1 will create a calibration for the lans and make the corrections as you did in Flexcolor . I agree Phocus should also have this feature.

Maybe Jim can chime in and tell us what he uses for his Aptus 75. I am new to the Horseman so may take me a little bit to get going
    Quote Originally Posted by JimCollum View Post
    is that similar to an Expo disc.. that's what i've used successfully to get calibration files for the Aptus.
    The expo disc vignettes at the edges we have found, because the prism type lenses at the edges only direct one source of light because the other side is blocked. This plate is placed firmly on the lens barrel and provides an even amount of light even at the edges.
    Plus our tool is under $20 vs about $100 for expo disc.

Lance

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is somewhat like what Sandy made with cornerfix for the M8. Same principle

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

you like the Helicon focus? it seems very useful

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lance Schad
    Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
    305-394-3196 cell | 305-534-5702 office
    Capture Integration
    My Blog
    [email protected]
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    you like the Helicon focus? it seems very useful
    I use it a lot. It seems to have been invented to solve the narrow focus problem with macro shots but I have no interest in using it that way. It very neatly solves the problem of lack of tilts in most digital systems - it actually works better.

I started a thread elsewhere to nag Hasselblad about adding focus bracketing as a firmware update.

A link to another image: Big Tree Follow the link and scroll down.

Focus bracketing is quick and Helicon Focus is fast and very easy to use - I use the default settings. Images need to be quite closely aligned so it doesn't work hand held.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Campbell View Post
    After a number of false starts (instructions are scant on the subject of using Hasselblad backs on third party cameras) and trial and error I got the combination working reliably. The key issue in my mind was how do deal with the color casts across the frame that you expect when shooting non-retro focus wides digitally. This image illustrates the problem (f8 shifted 10 mm in the direction of the left side of the frame):

Attachment 5056

Nasty isn't it.

On another thread where I first raised this issue I learned that FlexColor includes the ability to shoot a white reference frame - FlexColor applies corrections to subsequent frames based on the reference frame. Phocus 1.0 does not include this feature - this is an absolute must for the next release. In FlexColor shooting tethered you shoot the reference frame (I use an Expodisk), identify it as a reference frame; FlexColor uploads it to the back and subsequent frames are properly corrected. This too took some trial and error - the reference frame seems to work best if exposed to the middle grays. The most common mistake I made was not turning this adjustment off when shooting a new reference frame - otherwise the adjustment is corrected with the last adjustment leading to very weird results. You can use this feature shooting untethered, making the corrections when you import the images to FlexColor, but you need to tether the camera to activate the feature (think of the camera as a gigantic dongle).

So here is the white reference frame for the above image:

Attachment 5057

And here's the image as corrected by FlexColor:

[Attachment 5058

Even on the web you see one of the advantages of the Hasselblad - absolutely lovely color straight out of the box.

Note to Hasselblad: Please, please include this feature in the next release of Phocus.
    I think it's supposed to be Woody.

Personally, I like the Image bank ... 2000 shots partitioned against any potential corruption. And you can download a CF for dual security. I do all my "no second chance" stuff with the Image Bank. Since the battery is on the Image Bank, you can put it in your pocket and run the firewire down your sleeve for cold weather shooting ... which I've done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's a sequel to my experience with my H3D 39 on a Horseman SWDII.

B&H finally delivered a Rodenstock 45mm Digitar last week. So I spent a few hours with it yesterday. I got the 45mm because it has a much larger image circle than the 35mm (see above), making shifts a practical reality. So here is a fairly demanding barn shot and two crops. The setup is the same as pictured above, but with the 45mm.

To capture the image I used 12 mm of shift to eliminate the foreground and capture the top of the barn. The camera was leveled - no Photoshop perspective adjustments were needed.

Attachment 6880

Attachment 6881

Attachment 6882

A couple of observations: This combination actually works. Edge to edge resolution is outstanding even shifted 12 mm.

But . . . framing with a viewfinder is hit-or-miss - it becomes a process of frame, shoot, review the lcd, shoot, review the lcd . . . With a bit of practice I may get good enough at it to make this a practical tool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post

Personally, I like the Image bank ... 2000 shots partitioned against any potential corruption. And you can download a CF for dual security. I do all my "no second chance" stuff with the Image Bank. Since the battery is on the Image Bank, you can put it in your pocket and run the firewire down your sleeve for cold weather shooting ... which I've done.
    I'm learning to love the Image Bank. I was having serious problems with it (locking up while being formated by the camera for example) - which was frustrating and inconsistent with everyone else's experience. Then I tried a different cable and it turns out that it's totally reliable.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

woody: that lower corner res is amazing, but when you shift it in this image, isn't that corner of the image nearer the centerline of the image circle?

i hear you about viewing...i posted a 3x3 nine frame stitch in the panorama thread, using the ground glass adapter to get started, but it is a crap shot for accurate framing.

and by the way, i have been loving that Helicon

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    woody: that lower corner res is amazing, but when you shift it in this image, isn't that corner of the image nearer the centerline of the image circle?

i hear you about viewing...i posted a 3x3 nine frame stitch in the panorama thread, using the ground glass adapter to get started, but it is a crap shot for accurate framing.

and by the way, i have been loving that Helicon
    It is, but the top of the cupola is further from the image center. With the 35mm and 12mm of shift that part of the images has started to turn into oatmeal.

Post Thanks / Like

The expo disc vignettes at the edges we have found, because the prism type lenses at the edges only direct one source of light because the other side is blocked. This plate is placed firmly on the lens barrel and provides an even amount of light even at the edges.
    Plus our tool is under $20 vs about $100 for expo disc.

Lance
    Hi Lance,

I'm a little late in catching up on some of these threads :sleep006:

Is this tool large enough to fit in a Lee holder, or is it just intended to be held against the lens?

Graham.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody, have you used the Live View coupled with Audio Feed back for focus?

Pretty cool.

Use the magnifying tool after you get your full image composition in Live View ... a new window will open ... place the green circle over the critical area of focus .. then go to to the menu again and the Audio Feedback feature just below Live View will now be clickable. As you focus the tone gets higher as you achieve critical focus ... if you go past critical focus, the tone will began going deeper again. With this feature I can focus without looking through the ground glass.

This is what the magnification window looks like ... (a close-up product shot of a 28mm View Camera lens.) The green focus graph is there with or with out the Audio Feed-back, but does correspond to the Audio Feed-Back when it's activated.
    Last edited by fotografz; 20th October 2008 at 01:20.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Woody, have you used the Live View coupled with Audio Feed back for focus?

Pretty cool.

Use the magnifying tool after you get your full image composition in Live View ... a new window will open ... place the green circle over the critical area of focus .. then go to to the menu again and the Audio Feedback feature just below Live View will now be clickable. As you focus the tone gets higher as you achieve critical focus ... if you go past critical focus, the tone will began going deeper again. With this feature I can focus without looking through the ground glass.

This is what the magnification window looks like ... (a close-up product shot of a 28mm View Camera lens.) The green focus graph is there with or with out the Audio Feed-back, but does correspond to the Audio Feed-Back when it's activated.
    I have used it - the focus aid is accurate and easy to use. Very cool.

The downside is that tethered shooting is inconvenient for landscape work. Also if you point the camera out the window in daylight you will see that liveview is overexposed, even stopped down all of the way - 4 stops or so of ND filter would probably cure but that's an additional headache.

Tom_W

Woody...

I am new to this forum and heavly considering the Horseman SWD-2 with a 45mm for coastal/mountain landscape photography with a P45 back.

I currently use a SW-617 Pro.

What interests me about this camera is a) digital back compatiable ( and the joys that holds) b) its ability to stitch c) its simplicity d) it's light and reasonable compact.

Could you comment about the quality of the file corners on full (17mm) shift with the 45mm.

I also was considering the use of a CF, but am questioning that now.. how good is the correction mechanism for this camera in PS .. what does PS do to the pixels given that it (apparently) is a 2.5 stop difference.

Given the use I wish to put it too any other thoughts would be really appreciate before I shell out about $7000...

Is their a ground glass back for this camera, as it wiull not be used tethered half way up a hill, and I may need to use Grad Filters ( jury's out on this one )

Cheers

T (from the UK)

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i've been using the horseman with the 35mm lens, and so does jim collum with great results. shift works fine, but switching the back to ground glass for each shift gets to be tiresome. what i now do is view through the ground glass for focus and composition, checking all the shifts i think i need, noting the amount of shift, then change to the DB and shoot and shift for all the positions.

Tom_W

Jlm,

Given the environment I intend taking the camera into (Mountains, Cold, in a backpack) can you comment upon how sturdy the camera is and can you are strip it down to remove any debris if it gets between the plates?

Also I assume the back can be mounted in both a horizontal and verticle manner?

Many thanks for the anticipated reply

T
    Last edited by Tom_W; 8th September 2008 at 14:47.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i haven't torture tested it, but the horseman seems quite rugged. you do have to make sure the shift locks are tight or it can move when mounting the back. i use a sq format (CFV) so i have no need to rotate. i'll take a look tomorrow and comment on what you might have to do to clean it out, but it looks very simple. when the back is shifted to the extremes, the light sealing felt is slightly exposed; you wouldn't want that to get loaded with debris

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tom_W -

Sorry for being slow getting back to this thread - I've been busy. In answer to your questions (in random order):

The Horseman + h39 back + lens and finder weigh 2.4 kg (5 lbs 4 0z). The combination is reasonably compact - I carry the assembled horseman, an extra lens, meter, imagebank and odds and end comfortably in a large messenger bag. I'm using this combination for landscape - there is no problem actually getting out into the landscape with it.

I don't use a groundglass. I carry a tape measure as a focusing aid. I use a Leica "Frankenfinder" to compose. I have the 35mm and 45mm lenses. The Leica framelines for 28mm and 18mm work quite well. I do shifts by estimate and guess - I check and refine using test exposures and the back's lcd. I've gotten to be relatively quick at this.

You can easily change the orientation of the back. This involves detatching the back adapter from the Horseman, rotating it and reattaching it. The cams that hold the adapter in place are small and nudgy - I wouldn't want to do this drenched in sweat or in a high wind. I don't actually do this because my Leica finder doesn't rotate - when I want to change orientation I flop the camera over on its side on the ball head, and use a pocket level. (I've tried an L-bracket but it interferes with the shifts.) This requires a robust head and tripod - I use a RRS ballhead and Gitzo series 3 tripod. I shoot at ISO 50 and f8 or 11 so a sturdy tripod is a must in any event. The rationale for this is that these lenses and the back are capable of remarkable image quality. You might as well optimize for shadow detail and camera movement and give yourself a slight break on focusing accuracy to get the full benefit out of the setup.

On the question of how robust is the combination in field use, the limiting factor is likely to be the back. The Horseman body is very robust. The lenses and shutters are typical - if you've used LF lenses before you'll be familiar with their strengths and weakness from an environmental sealing and ergonomic standpoint.

More to come

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is a sample stitch with the 45mm and 17mm left shift and 17mm right shift. Images are easy to combine as PS layers. (The back is also dropped 5mm to eliminate the foreground.) At f11. File dimensions are a whopping 12,390 x 5,412. This is getting up into Betterlight scanning back territory. Thank goodness the new LR dropped the 10k limitation.

Several things to note. The 45mm is dead flat rectilinear. It's very, very sharp. I've include crops showing where the corners would be unshifted, shifted 10mm and shifted 17mm.

Stitch
    Attachment 7613

No shift

Attachment 7614

10mm shift

Attachment 7615

17mm shift

Attachment 7616
    Last edited by Woody Campbell; 14th September 2008 at 10:56.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Same barn with the 35mm. One in color so you see the effect of the uncorrected color shifts, one in B&W and a corner crop. The B&W is shifted about 10mm and dropped about 5mm. The cross on the barn would be centered if the back were centered - this gives you some idea of the impact of the sifts. Also f11. Again note the very strong performance of the lens in terms of linear distortion.

Attachment 7617

Attachment 7618

Attachment 7619

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Finally, Helicon Focus composite made with 11 images. This is with the 35mm at f11 and about 5mm of drop to eliminate foreground. I've also included crops showing close focus and intermediate and far focus.

Attachment 7621

Attachment 7622

Attachment 7623

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW, a link to courierbags.com. These bags are terrific with MF.

http://courierbags.com/objects/1.itml/icOid/1

Tom_W

Woody,

Many thanks for this it is very much appreciated.

Cheers

Tom

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

angle of view - square sensor on Horseman SW-DII

This might be a stupid question...
    Lets say one wants to stich to get a wide angle of view, and if we say with a P25(+) its would not be recommended to go to 17mm stich but just 10 because of the corner quality.
    Now does that mean if I would use a smaller square sensor (P20 or cfv), that I could just shift a little further than 10 and I should get the same angle of view compared to what I could get with the larger sensor?Maybe I would have to take one more image but the end result should be the same?
    Thanks, Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: angle of view - square sensor on Horseman SW-DII

Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    This might be a stupid question...
    Lets say one wants to stich to get a wide angle of view, and if we say with a P25(+) its would not be recommended to go to 17mm stich but just 10 because of the corner quality.
    Now does that mean if I would use a smaller square sensor (P20 or cfv), that I could just shift a little further than 10 and I should get the same angle of view compared to what I could get with the larger sensor?Maybe I would have to take one more image but the end result should be the same?
    Thanks, Tom
    Probably Bottom line is by shift-stitching, as opposed to pan-stitching, you are moving the sensor across the image circle of the lens. So whether you use 1.8 x P30 frames or 1.4 x P45 frames frames doesn't matter.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

bump