The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Who has what? And wish list

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I love these threads they are fun but you do get a sense of what folks are shooting and there preferences. But you also learn about some of the lenses and such.

I will start: Just MF stuff

Phase One P25 Plus
AFD loaner body until my new Phase One Body arrives.
Mamiya 35mm AF lens
Mamiya 55mm AF lens
Mamiya 80mm D lens waiting on this also to come in my package
Mamiya 150mm lens this is the current one , hope to replace with new D
Mamiya 300mm 4.5 lens Just got this and very nice

Horseman SWDII Body
35mm Rodenstock Digitar Sironer lens

Wish List
Mamiya 28mm this is a maybe
Mamiya 150 2.8 D lens on the radar screen

atanabe

Here is my MF stuff
Hasselblad CFV
SWC 38 non T*
500 C/M
2000 FCW
50 CF Distagon (non FLE)
80 CF Planar
100 CF Planar
110 F Planar
180 CFi Sonnar
many A12 and A24 film backs
PME51 prism finder

Wish list:
203 or 205 body, problem is that they are not made anymore and buying a used one can be dicey as they are $$$$$ to start with and $$$$ to repair. Up in the air on this one.

350 CF
1.4x converter

I am very pleased with the IQ out of the CFV and I did not have to outlay a great deal of $ for the set, I am under $13K for the lot so far. It has been relatively painless buying into this system as the lenses are readily available and so are the 500 series bodies. When I started acquiring the Hasselblad stuff over a year ago, prices were really soft. Prices have gone up in the past few months, used gear does not sit in showcases for very long now.
-Al

woodyspedden

Here is my (current gear)

Hassy 501 CM
Hassy CWD (Anniversary edition 503 CW and CFV Back)
203 FE (Trying to decide whether to sell this or have modifications to use the CFV back with it.
40 CFE IF
50 CFI
80 CFE
110 FE
120 Macro Planar CFE
180 CFE
1.4x Teleconverter

I will undoubtedly pare down this list as I gain more experience with what works for me.

I really like the CFV back as well but am looking at going to the Aptus 75 to gain much more pixel density. Need to demo this to decide if it is worth the much larger cash outlay. I am very impressed with what i have seen from both Jim Collum and Doug Dolde's work with the A75 so I am encouraged. I tried the Phase P25 and while I liked the files the improvement over the CFV were just not enough to make the switch.

Advice is always welcomed

Woody

atanabe

Here is my (current gear)

I really like the CFV back as well but am looking at going to the Aptus 75 to gain much more pixel density. Need to demo this to decide if it is worth the much larger cash outlay. I am very impressed with what i have seen from both Jim Collum and Doug Dolde's work with the A75 so I am encouraged. I tried the Phase P25 and while I liked the files the improvement over the CFV were just not enough to make the switch.

Woody
Woody,
From what I understand, the Phase One backs need to use the flash sync on the leaf shutter lenses to fire the back. Not so sure about the Leaf Aptus, but most likely the same. I checked to see if I could use the Phase One on the 2000 FCW and because of the focal plane shutter was told that it would not work. So that would mean that the 203 FE would not work with them either. There is a company hat makes a cable release/sync cord that I am told will allow the use of the focal plane Hasselblads with various digital backs. Here is the link http://www.kapturegroup.com/imacon/imacon.html#4x4one_a

The CFV is unique in the fact that Hasselblad uses the existing magazine trigger to fire the CFV capture. If you look at the menu for the camera selection the camera choices are based on the delay time for the shutter curtains to open and the leaf shutter to fire. Nice out of the box thinking.

-Al

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Did you look at the P45+ ?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
My current MF stable:

Mamiya ZD back w/Mamiya AFD2 body

AF lenses: 35, 55, 80, 150, 210 and 55-110 zoom

Manual focus lenses: 24 fisheye, 50 shift, 110 Hassy F, 145 Soft Focus, 500 mirror -- yes, Mamiya made one for the 645 and it is pretty darn good!

woodyspedden

Did you look at the P45+ ?
Hi Jack

I have not physically looked at any of the high density backs at this point. However that is the next step. However my dealer is Sean at Camera West and he does not handle Phase backs. I bought the CWD from him and will probably trade that back for what I paid him for it in return for the Aptus. Also he got a great deal on a demo back from Aptus for me which is also a consideration.

In the name of completeness I should probably call Lance at CI to see if I could borrow a P45 demo for comparison.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention

Best

Woody

Guy Mancuso

Lance would be happy to send something along Woody. My personal shopping assistant. ROTFLMAO

Guy Mancuso

Seriously everyone should try as many as you can to get the feel of them and see what works best for you overall. Big decisions and Big money. You simply do not want to buy the wrong system for you. Sean at Camera West is a dear friend and this is not to take anything away from a Hassy sale but folks really need to try things out and decide.

sinwen

Owning a pretty small outfit :
501CM
50 CFI
80 CFE
180 CFI
X2 Teleconverter
2 A12 back

Wish list :
CFV-II and while we are on it a wider angle lens to go with

Actually I would exchange an A12 back against a CFV :D :D :D one back for one back, fair deal !

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I am getting interested (someone save me please) in an arca F system and a digital back, probably the P45+.
I just am not getting enthusiastic about high rez backs without swings and tilts, after all, I started in this game with 4x5.
I might if I shot fashion, but I don't. Maybe I should:p
-bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Bob: Be advised that using movements with a 37x48mm back -- and hence focusing critically on a 37x48mm patch of ground-glass -- is really tough. First we need to assume the GG is at the exact same plane as the sensor and is true parallel to it, and it rarely is either, let alone both. However, if you get that, you still are making fine adjustments to optimize focus that are frustratingly difficult to evaluate on that small scale... Even with the 75x100mm rectangle of the Betterlight scanning back, I needed an 8x loupe to get close then always tweaked the final settings with the BL's live-view electronic focus. I have examples of the difference that 0.5mm of focus extension made with a 110mm lens at f22 on the BL -- it was the difference between crisp details in a landscape and just okay ones. FTR, that 0.5mm was just a touch on my Arca Swiss F Metric's focus knob...

My current thinking is that using focus blending (software or manual layers) with a high-rez back that is mounted at true-zero on whatever camera you choose (including the Horseman SW-D or Alpa), is going to be more logical approach to focal plane extension than Scheimpflug with these MF DB's...

harmsr

Workshop Member
I am also starting to feel the same as Jack on this one. I plan on trying the Helicon Focus software that a few other guys here have mentioned recently.

I was planning to get a used Arca Swiss F Metric 4x5, but have had some trouble this weekend trying it out for the very same reasons that Jack mentions. I am using the head cloth and magnifier also to get what appears to be perfect focus on the ground glass. But when I check the shot, it needs a minor tweak.

For those of us having gone through all the M8 rangefinder and lens adjustments, we know how much more critical the focus is. Nikon and Canon added fine focus adjustments as a saved setting for each individual auto-focus lens on their new bodies to eliminate this.

For what I can do without any shift, the 80 lens with the small extension tube seems to be the right lens for me on MF. If this Helicon Focus works, it might just be a better and MUCH cheaper option for still product shots.

Best,

Ray

S

Samuel Axelsson

503CW
Phase One P20
50mm Distagon CFi
80mm CFE
120mm CF Makro
And a lot of accessories...

At this point I'm happy with what I've got and not looking to make any investment.
Eventually I'll get a faster combo to combine with my 503, maybe a P21-30 in Contax mount. But nothing "on the radar screen":).

/Samuel

Me:

Mamiya 645AFD II = ZD back
35mm
55-110mm
80mm
105-210mm
150mm
300mm f/4.5

Wish to purchase a better digital back, budget permitting. Will look at Phase and Leaf when the time is right. Then I could use the ZD back permanently as an infrared back, as well as a backup back if my primary back gives me problems. I am also wanting to do some tests on the 55mm and 150mm primes and how they compare against the zooms.

woodyspedden

I am getting interested (someone save me please) in an arca F system and a digital back, probably the P45+.
I just am not getting enthusiastic about high rez backs without swings and tilts, after all, I started in this game with 4x5.
I might if I shot fashion, but I don't. Maybe I should:p
-bob
It is a real dilemma. I agree with the logic behind your decision but it was the weight and bulkiness of such systems (hiking to landscape sites remember) that put me off 4x5 in the first place.

I figured that I put up with no swings and tilts with the entire 35mm format so doing it with MF doesn't lose me anything and gains me the resolution I need for the large prints.

There is no one size fits all requirements so pick and choose what you are willing to lose

Best

Woody