The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

should i do it.....Toyo810M

H3dtogo

I went MF digital more than a decade ago but in the nineties i shot primeraly 4/5 and 810 inch. I always did my own C41 and E6 processing but got rid of my Jobo ATL1000 and 1500 in 2002 or 2003. Last week-end i was looking for some lenses to use on my scanback and remembered that i still had a Toyo810M somewhere. So i got out the lens but it was a 210mm and a well coated one( i am looking for very old, bad performing lenses). So the lens was useless but.... then i started playing with the camera and really got back into the past centuries fun. I know, in this digital era, such a monster is only used as an ugly paperweight... but it made me remember al those nice images i took with it. As i still had some cases of Fuji provia 100, i took some shots in the studio..... but unfortunately, no lab develops 8/10 anymore (at least at an affordable price).
So, that 810M is such a beuatifull camera but will remain a big paperweight that holds a lot of fine memories ;-(( or should i restart my own dark room for it?
Anyway, i keep on shooting like crazy with my HartbleiCam HB1 with all kinds of fine (relatively unsharp) lenses and very soon the razorsharp super rotator 80mm with Carl Zeiss optics. :thumbs:

archivue

i did have one 810M as well... some times i miss it... but lab is the problem...
if i will come back to 8x10, i won't shoot color with it...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
It is a beautiful piece of equipment. The cam itself it can become office art -- ?

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
After spending a couple of hours in Rodney Lough's gallery in Vegas (he still shoots mostly 8x10 film), I confess to being envious of the quality. It's only a paperweight if you choose it to be, because it can produce stunning large images. I thought my 60mp back was getting close to 8x10 film until I saw his work.

Lars

It's easy to dismiss 8x10 due to the cost per exposure. The key is to work on a budget, say, 50 exposures per year. Then make every single one count. The process will make you a better photographer, in a deliberate, contemplative sense.