Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Some advice please - Hasselblad Cameras

Post Thanks / Like

Some advice please - Hasselblad Cameras

Hi,

I'm Tim I joined yesterday and I am a photographer shooting mainly weddings on the east coast of England.

I have been looking at MF digital outfits for some time and they are now coming into the price range where I would love to start shooting parts of the wedding day with MF - Formals and Portraits / fashion type shot etc.

I used to shoot Bronica back in film days and now shoot on a pair of Nikon D3's but love working with quadra rangers so long for a system with a leaf shutter so its looking like a hasselblad system for me.

I have used a hd3-31 briefly and like the camera,looking at UK dealers I can afford and have options of

HD32-31 (£2000/$3000 less than a HD4-31)
    H4D-31 new and ex demo H3d2-39 at nearly the same price

and if I was to sell some other kit I could stretch to a HD4-40

I would love to throw a few questions out there to those of you with some more experience I know this is all subjective but would really appreciate some opinions before arranging trips to dealers who are all 200 miles from home.

1. For those who have shot HD3 and HD4 How much difference has the true focus made to the ease of use / quality of results you are seeing remembering I am going to be shooting outside the studio?

2. Which of the sensors hd3II-39 hd4-31 and hd4-40 would you consider to be the most flexible in terms of shooting also how much difference does the higher resolution make in reality when making big prints say 24 x 36

3.How does the new 40 back compare being new to the lineup ?

4. is the HD4-31 sensor the same as the previous model as it is advertised with 1600 iso? is this back capable of this or has it been engineered as a marketing tool ?

Thanks for taking pity on a newbie with stupid questions

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Some advice please - Hasselblad Cameras

Tim,

welcome to the forum, you will find this one of the greatest places to be!

Coming back to your questions:

1) If I would buy today I would go for a H4D40, especially for applications like weddings etc. True Focus is one of the outstanding features and that really helps for portraits etc. Also the extended ISO capabilities of the H4D40 will be good - the only MFDB which runs full resolution at ISO 400 as far as I know.

2) I use myself the H3D39 since more that a year and I am pretty happy with that sensor. Having said that. I use it for landscape mainly, so I was looking for a larger sensor rather that higher ISO. And I was lucky to get a CPO (Customer Pre Owned) camera, which is a piece checked by Hasselblad and with full guarantee for a very attractive price - in my was it was some 50% below regular. BTW I would ask if there are currently CPO promotions!

Coming to the flexibility of the sensor - again if I had to buy new (without CPO) I would choose the H4D40 - especially for your applications. And the get all the lenses you need and sell all the other stuff.

3) The 40 back uses latest sensor technology (from Kodak) with 5um pixel size. I guess it also uses micro lenses in front of the sensor to get the extra stop. And it can be used on tech cameras - which is pretty cool.

4) As far as I know the H4D31 is the same sensor as always, but slightly reengineered. To be honest if I buy into this system - it MUST FIT your needs and your type of shooting, which I assume in this case - I would rather sell all my other stuff I do not need and go for the H4D40 wit some lenses I need.

Post Thanks / Like

Tim, i suspect we follow each other around on different forums... DWF, POTN ( I think)

I do mainly weddings and i agree that the H4D40 is a great option. The H4D31 is the same 31 back as the H3DII-31 back. (Which is what i'm using).

I have a thread on DWF about it. http://www.digitalweddingforum.com/f...d.php?t=345129

Lots of talk from different photographers about using them at weddings ^

I use it for the formals between ceremony and reception, and sometimes on engagement sessions. But not much else, pertaining to wedding days. I have some pics here for you to check out if you are interested:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/symbolp...7624913368149/

Marc (Photografz) here is also an avid wedding photographer and will undoubtedly have some more to add.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guys - Its kind of backing up what I thought / feared - Didnt realise the 40 was that recent in terms of sensor technology - So has anyone actually used the 40 ?

Brendan - I'm on DWF - think I have a POTN account but rarely visit - Love the pic's thats pretty much the look I am going for

Lots of talk from other wedding photographers and not much action ... (A few exceptions)

Having worked on 6x6 in the past I know using 35mm Digital has made me lazy and I shoot far too many average images with a motordrive and know working with MF will slow me down and make me think more about the images. There are parts of the day it is definitely a non starter for and will need to mix and match with the D3 but would rather go for the quality now rather than replace 2 D3's with updated versions because I can when the latest and greatest comes out .

Brendan - Is there any reason why toy havent attempted to use the camera on more of the wedding day ? - How do you find iso 1600 on the 31 back ?

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Tim,

For me 1600 while possible, is a bit too noisy for me. 800 is usable, but 1600 pushes my limit. We could use it during the wedding day, but i prefer to just restrict it to certain parts of the day.

First reason - it's relatively slow shooting, i can get many more shots with the 5DMKII's during critical moments.
    Second reason - RAW file size is fine. 35MB average each. But if i retouch them and keep them on the hard drive, they take up like over 100mb each. So it's not very cost effective unless you run several terabytes and dont mind keeping extra storage around.

That all being said, I LOVE to shoot this camera. It just feels right. It's hard to explain. It does make you think and you do slow down. The image quality is so much better than 35mm, and the colors through Phocus are just fantastic.

So speaking of that, your workflow will change slightly also... when you shoot with this, you can just open the raw files with Lightroom, but i personally suggest using Phocus and then importing to Lightroom. Just one extra step. The corrections in Phocus make it worthwhile.

Post Thanks / Like

Brendan,

Are you literally just opening the files in phocus letting it make some automated adjustments and saving them or do you adjust the files manually ? If so can this be batched ?

Tim

Simon Revill

I'm also new here and I think Tim and I aren't helping each other - or rather aren't helping our respective bank balances ...

I am looking to use the system the same way and have a couple of questions that may seem obvious but it does get very confusing

1. The Hasselblad leaf shutters sync at 1/800 - but do they also only have a max shutter speed of 1/800 for normal shooting ?

2. The Phase DF syncs at 1/1600 ? but I can't find its max shutter speed ? and has anyone actually used the sensor + system and its supposed benefit for high ISO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Revill View Post
    2. The Phase DF syncs at 1/1600 ? but I can't find its max shutter speed ? and has anyone actually used the sensor + system and its supposed benefit for high ISO
    The 645DF when used with either a Leaf Aptus-II 5/7/8/10/12 or Phase One P40+/65+ and one of the LS lenses can sync at up to 1/1,600 and the max shutter speed (focal plane) is 1/4,000

HTH

Yair
    Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One | Mamiya Leaf
    e: [email protected] | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | yaya's blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tim driver View Post
    Brendan,

Are you literally just opening the files in phocus letting it make some automated adjustments and saving them or do you adjust the files manually ? If so can this be batched ?

Tim
    You can batch the auto corrections, but i also adjust in Phocus as well. This isn't necessary, but i feel like the files have a little more fine-tuning in Phocus than they do in Lightroom. And i incorrectly stated that i do files from Phocus into Lightroom, i made a mistake. I meant i do corrections in Phocus and go straight to Photoshop.

In terms of sync speed, ALL Hasselblad lenses sync to 1/800th. Only a few LS lenses from Phamiya sync at 1/1600th. Nothing wrong with that, just pointing out that there is a different in the selection one has.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Revill View Post
    1. The Hasselblad leaf shutters sync at 1/800 - but do they also only have a max shutter speed of 1/800 for normal shooting ?
    Yes, max shutter speed is 1/800th. While this may sound limiting at first you need to remember a couple things... firstly the lenses have a higher range. F32 is typically the upper range for most of these lenses. Secondly, the dynamic range (This is a hugely arguable point by many) is higher on MF and able to handle highlights better.

That being said, shooting on a sunny day at 1/800th F16 is no problem at all. If you want to shoot at F2.2 you'll need an ND filter however.

I'm taking mine out with the 35-90 tomorrow on a helicopter flight. I'll be sure to post some pics here of harsh sun and shooting speeds.
    Last edited by symbolphoto; 19th November 2010 at 05:32.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, i just found this image which has all exif info intact, (in fact all of my photos do)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/symbolp...57624913368149

Very bright midday sun, F9 at 1/750th and a Quadra all firing at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like sun pretty much overhead and quadra over your right shoulder - Nice picture

Remember to strap everything to you if your flying with doors open

Tim

Simon Revill

Thanks for the replies

Post Thanks / Like

Remember to strap everything to you if your flying with doors open

Tim
    No doubt, not my first time. Funny story on my first time though - we are riding along and suddenly my exposures get a lot brighter, check my settings, nothing changed. One of my CP filters unscrewed itself and pooof..... somewhere over downtown Boston.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi,

1. For those who have shot HD3 and HD4 How much difference has the true focus made to the ease of use / quality of results you are seeing remembering I am going to be shooting outside the studio?

2. Which of the sensors hd3II-39 hd4-31 and hd4-40 would you consider to be the most flexible in terms of shooting also how much difference does the higher resolution make in reality when making big prints say 24 x 36

3.How does the new 40 back compare being new to the lineup ?

4. is the HD4-31 sensor the same as the previous model as it is advertised with 1600 iso? is this back capable of this or has it been engineered as a marketing tool ?

Thanks for taking pity on a newbie with stupid questions

Tim
    1) I went from H3D31 to H4D50 : true focus is outstanding, as focusing is difficult in MF
    2) I've not experienced myself the 40, but the 31 is excellent as long as you have not to get higher ISO, so 40 has more pixel and better ISO capabilities.
    4) 31 is difficult to use above 400 iso, that's my point of view

Post Thanks / Like

Jerome thanks - for your answers helping me get things straight in my head

As you have shot on HD3 and HD4 and with full and crop sensors

would you choose a HD3ii-39 or a HD4-31 if you had to make the choice?

Would welcome anyones opinions on this

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I went from H3DII-39 to H4D-60, the true focus and higher ISO enhanced are the big improvements, the LCD look like a bit slightly better but not so huge difference, i know that H4D-60 is expensive, but if i have a choice i will go with H4D-40 or H4D-31, i may like to have minimum 39mp but on many websites people showing that they doing amazing with any mp camera or let's be more specific and say they do wonders with any MF camera.
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jerome thanks - for your answers helping me get things straight in my head

As you have shot on HD3 and HD4 and with full and crop sensors

would you choose a HD3ii-39 or a HD4-31 if you had to make the choice?

Would welcome anyones opinions on this

Tim
    It depends of what you want to do : landscape (big sensor, low iso ok, tripod so true focus is not so mandatory even if very useful), studio ou wedding.

I do landscape and I appreciate big sensor and and true focus. I'm not happy because the H4D50 was told by Hassy guy to be able to do long exposure, and that's not true (yet !). 30 seconds only, but on the H4D40, you have longer exposure.

Post Thanks / Like

Its my intention to try and start doing a lot of wedding work with it where I can, Ironically Marc and Brendan seem to be two of the early adopters -- but I really cant see why its hard - I used to work all day at iso 160 and 400 as a maximum with film - I'm really surprised more pros are not going this route.

Post Thanks / Like

Its my intention to try and start doing a lot of wedding work with it where I can, Ironically Marc and Brendan seem to be two of the early adopters -- but I really cant see why its hard - I used to work all day at iso 160 and 400 as a maximum with film - I'm really surprised more pros are not going this route.
    I suggest you rent one and try it out at a wedding. I'd love to shoot it during the ceremony and such, it's just not the best tool (In my opinion) for that.

Portraits and in-between ceremony and reception? Absolutely. Anything not critical for speed it works fantastically.

Post Thanks / Like

... I used to work all day at iso 160 and 400 as a maximum with film - I'm really surprised more pros are not going this route.
    Do you remember how limiting that was? For me, there are two factors: flexibility and price. Since you need a back up, the ROI is not there: do you really need the MF for getting ready and reception shots?

Post Thanks / Like

Renting is high on my list as is tracking down both the 31 and 40 so I can get some comparitive fies to process at diffeent iso's - For me I intend to keep and shoot with a D3 outfit for a lot of the prep work - and I would retain the 3rd backup outfit in the car in case of equipment failure.

I'm not implying I would shoot the whole day on MF but a lot of photographers seem to have forgotten or maybe were not around when 6x6 square was standard

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Tim, Welcome!

I've shot weddings with a H2D/22, a H3D/31, H3D-II/31 and now shoot with the H4D/40. I've other MFDs, but the H4D/40 is the one I now use for weddings and portraits ... just as the H3D-II/31 was used before it. I do not use the H4D exclusively ... I also have a 35mm DSLR and Leica M9 with me.

The primary operational difference between the H3D-II and H4D is True Focus/focus lock. The primary difference between the 31 back and the 40 back is about a stop improved ISO performance. That translates into 400 from the 40 looking closer to 200 from the 31 back. The minor resolution difference is apparent only with larger prints or more severe crops. I have also noticed that the noise structure of the 40 is a bit nicer.

Personally, I wouldn't advise renting one for a wedding shoot. To get relatively quick with the H takes time ... and frustration with the camera at a wedding may put you off it prematurely.

These cameras are great, if you have an end use for what they can do. I sell a premium album with 20" X 20" spreads, and each clients gets a 16" X 20" print. But even a normal print looks great because of the tonal latitude.

Gotta run ... on vacation in S. FL.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Marc - Really appreciate the time you took to answer this on vacation, you o if I drop you a mail when you get home.

Tim

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Marc - Really appreciate the time you took to answer this on vacation, you o if I drop you a mail when you get home.

Tim
    Any time Tim. We're winding down today, and travel back tomorrow

There are a ton of tricks and settings that can be done to make shooting a wedding with an H camera much closer to the speed of a DSLR.

I have my H set so I can shoot a manual WB shot with one button ... no menu, nothing but press the button ... done.

True Focus is assigned to the rear thumb button so I can use it only when I want it.

I use a dual-lug Arca type quick release plate that allows the use of a hand-strap and a shoulder strap at the same time. The shoulder strap is one of those stretchy types that acts like a shock absorber when carrying the H for any amount of time.

I have a Kirk grip so I can use an on-camera Metz in concert with a Skyport radio sender for my Quadra's which plugs into the side of the H.

Use a Monopod with a RRS Monopod head that's fast as hell for flipping from landscape to portrait. Never used my L plate after getting this head.

The practice part of using the camera is getting the buttons down pat without taking your eye from the viewfinder. Kinda like playing a musical instrument ... if you have to look, it's to late ... Fortunately, the ergonomics on this camera were really well thought out and it is possible to comp flash or camera exposure, set manual WB, or swap ISOs very, very fast.

Many of the shots on my opening flash section of my website are MF. The couple in the forest was the H3D-II/31 available light, and the Bride on the couch was with the H4D/40 using one strobe and on-camera fill. In the Portrait section, the riding cowboy was the 31 available light, as was his portrait.

www.fotografz.com

We'll talk more.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Marc, if you want to sell your L bracket, i'm looking to pick one up.

Post Thanks / Like

So It looks like i am going to buy a H4D-31 unless someone (My wife excluded) comes up with a good argument why I should not.

My thinking is - I know that the H4D-40 is a newer technology back but it is close to $6300 difference in price and I just cannot justify that at this time when it would let me buy the lenses I want as well and I will need to learn to shoot MF again and start to sell the benefits to my clients before upgrading at a later date.

To shoot weddings from the information I have gathered true focus is the big advance in the HD4 which makes this more practicable.

I currently shoot D3 and the extra resolution will be plenty for the size albums I produce and hopefully selling more large prints.

I intend to work mostly with a monopod when using the MF camera and mix this with Nikon D3 for low light and fast moving periods

I need to make the purchase in the next month as sales tax and a hasselblad price increase are apparently pending.

Many thanks for your input to date - I'm sure I will have a load more questions shortly
    Thanks
    Tim

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So It looks like i am going to buy a H4D-31 unless someone (My wife excluded) comes up with a good argument why I should not.

My thinking is - I know that the H4D-40 is a newer technology back but it is close to $6300 difference in price and I just cannot justify that at this time when it would let me buy the lenses I want as well and I will need to learn to shoot MF again and start to sell the benefits to my clients before upgrading at a later date.

To shoot weddings from the information I have gathered true focus is the big advance in the HD4 which makes this more practicable.

I currently shoot D3 and the extra resolution will be plenty for the size albums I produce and hopefully selling more large prints.

I intend to work mostly with a monopod when using the MF camera and mix this with Nikon D3 for low light and fast moving periods

I need to make the purchase in the next month as sales tax and a hasselblad price increase are apparently pending.

Many thanks for your input to date - I'm sure I will have a load more questions shortly
    Thanks
    Tim
    Tim, IF you are in the USA, one reason to go for the H4D/40 is the current lens Promo:

http://www.hasselbladusa.com/77213.aspx

The incredible HCD 35-90 zoom is included in this promo deal (which I'll bet was a boo-boo on Hasselblad's part since it is a $7,200. lens : -)

A $7,200. lens minus what a HC 80mm costs used, places the H4D/40 at or below the price of the H4D/31 with an 80mm ... at least IF you have the money, and of course IF you go for it before December 31st. The 35-90 is now my most used lens at weddings followed by the 100/2.2. I sold my 80mm because I never used it ... the 100/2.2 is the faster, better lens.

If you are in the USA, PM me and I'll tell you how you might save a few more bucks.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Marc unfortunately in the uk and cannot get the offer, which looks superbIf I imported from USA import taxes would take away most of the saving.

in all seriousness how did younget on with the 31 back

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Tim, just to give you an idea how much you can 'PUSH' a file....

When i was shooting that's as much as i could get out of shutter speed. This is HAND HELD. ISO400 1/80th @ F4 . I'm looking at the back screen thinking, "Man this isn't going to do". Brought it through Phocus and Photoshop (No special tools run or noise reduction. Just adjusted levels and colorbalance.)

PS: Technically speaking the stained glass i could bring across underexposed and merge, but i wasn't that anal about this photo.

Enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by symbolphoto View Post

PS: Technically speaking the stained glass i could bring across underexposed and merge, but i wasn't that anal about this photo.
    You might get by with just hitting the stained glass with saturation at 100% for a quick fix. Not as good as a merge, but worth trying.

videofame

Quote Originally Posted by symbolphoto View Post
    You can batch the auto corrections, but i also adjust in Phocus as well. This isn't necessary, but i feel like the files have a little more fine-tuning in Phocus than they do in Lightroom. And i incorrectly stated that i do files from Phocus into Lightroom, i made a mistake. I meant i do corrections in Phocus and go straight to Photoshop.
    I have Photoshop Pro CS5 and wondered what you meant by going straight from Phocus to Photoshop. Is that you way of saying you save the Phocus image corrections to a PSD file? Sorry I just didn't quite understand.

Post Thanks / Like

A question to the wedding photographers with the Hassy... I ask me all the time: How is it with the "shutter noise" from the camera? Already my D3 is not quiet and the Hassy is much louder. Is it not very disturbing???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by videofame View Post
    I have Photoshop Pro CS5 and wondered what you meant by going straight from Phocus to Photoshop. Is that you way of saying you save the Phocus image corrections to a PSD file? Sorry I just didn't quite understand.
    Yep, just converted to TIFF, resized in photoshop and added border and logo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rem View Post
    A question to the wedding photographers with the Hassy... I ask me all the time: How is it with the "shutter noise" from the camera? Already my D3 is not quiet and the Hassy is much louder. Is it not very disturbing???
    Well you are right it is much louder. I don't think people are really bothered by it. I think the following thought process takes place by most guests:

1. Hey that was a strange sounding camera, what is he shooting with?
    2. Whoa that looks serious.
    3. Well he's the professional and is supposed to be here. Back to looking at other stuff. Or thinking about what i need to do when i get home

That's my take on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Tim,

have you already got your H4D? Let us know.

BTW don't bother not to get the H4d-40. I switched to MFD for the sake of shooting experiance and dynamic range. So far I'm quite happy with that old gear of mine.

Regards
    Max

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rem View Post
    The shutter is a leaf shutter in the lens. It is the mirror slap of the larger 645 mirror that makes the noise.

If in quiet conditions during the ceremony, I put the camera on a tripod, frame, focus and lock the mirror up ... the actual leaf shutter noise is quieter than my Leica M9.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I took a shot of one friend i the past in studio, the light head was bad and some shots were underexposed, how about looking what i can recover of one of those bad shots?

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/9804/a0000113d.jpg

RAW file of the above shot to play with, show me the results if so.
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/m9yohb...5/A0000113.3FR

H3DII-39, 80mm, ISO 100
    Tareq

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pro my man, nice shots. Amazing recovery.

I'd do something in between to retain some of the drama of the under-exposed shot.

Big reco to get Photo Tools 2.5 for people work when shooting with the ruthless fidelity of the Hasselblad MFD. It's a PS plug-in I use all the time for weddings and portraits.

Just a couple of clicks gets you to something like this ... even with a sub one meg jpeg ... looks MUCH better working with a full sized Tiff.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the pictures really impressed with the level of recovery in both files - thanks for the wedding pic gives a really good idea of what can be done handheld.

Marc - Are you saying with the mirror lock up its locked up the whole time or like on a slr where you lock it up and it releases when you take your finger off the button so you choose when to release it ?

Tim

Tim

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the pictures really impressed with the level of recovery in both files - thanks for the wedding pic gives a really good idea of what can be done handheld.

Marc - Are you saying with the mirror lock up its locked up the whole time or like on a slr where you lock it up and it releases when you take your finger off the button so you choose when to release it ?

Tim

Tim
    Tim, the way I use it for weddings is to trip it up with the front grip Mirror Release button after focusing and composing ... most of the time I can then just watch the action at the altar and trip the shutter at peak times ... often using the electronic release cable to minimize any vibration for lower shutter speeds ... which I time to lulls in the action. They aren't playing soccer up there so it works pretty well. It stays up until I trip that grip button again ... which I can do when the time is right,
    or I need to re-compose.

I've used this technique even hand held from time to time ... as long as I'm steady : -)

-Marc

Simon Revill

That's some recovery Tareq ! good job and very impressive

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you very much!
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Symbol an Marc! Yes of corse its the mirror! But I was thinking about ceremony shots... But for these I think will be the Nikon handier (or maybe a M10...;-). I do often freehand shots from not moving objects with long exposure where I focus, put the mirror up with the fingertip and press the shutter... very good!;-)

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It should also be noted that with the mirror up on the H4D, you cannot use the viewfinder. As mentioned before, it's useful on a tripod, but not so much for composing without the viewfinder. There is virtually no vibration when using the mirror up function because of the shutter being mounted in the lens barrel, good flash speeds too. Although, for high speed action it's limited by the relatively slow speeds. My first H4D, had to be replaced because of the mirror; apparently, solder or something else caused the mechanism to jam. There is a great deal of movement in this camera when not using the MU function. I also think that the mechanics of the mirror generates a lot of air movement which contributes to a lot of dust on the sensor. Always turn power off, return the mirror to the down position and even ground yourself before changing lenses. As I mentioned in other posts, its easy to clean the sensor, but it has to be cleaned often. My experience using Hasselblad has been bittersweet.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnnygoesdigital View Post
    It should also be noted that with the mirror up on the H4D, you cannot use the viewfinder. As mentioned before, it's useful on a tripod, but not so much for composing without the viewfinder. There is virtually no vibration when using the mirror up function because of the shutter being mounted in the lens barrel, good flash speeds too. Although, for high speed action it's limited by the relatively slow speeds. My first H4D, had to be replaced because of the mirror; apparently, solder or something else caused the mechanism to jam. There is a great deal of movement in this camera when not using the MU function. I also think that the mechanics of the mirror generates a lot of air movement which contributes to a lot of dust on the sensor. Always turn power off, return the mirror to the down position and even ground yourself before changing lenses. As I mentioned in other posts, its easy to clean the sensor, but it has to be cleaned often. My experience using Hasselblad has been bittersweet.
    In addtion to watching where I change lenses, I've taken to blowing off the internal mirror assembly AND the sensor with bulb type air (or dry canned air), using lintless Pec Pads if needed, and then swiping the underside of the focusing screen, mirror, and sensor with a soft sable anti-static brush that I used to use for film prep ... (or an Arctic Butter fly, which also produces an anti-static charge). Works pretty well.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

well - Having read everyyhing there is available - looked at detail in pictures and picture sets I have come to the conclusion that the HD4-40 is the best camera for me for the following reasons .

True focus - this is probably the biggest enabler to allow me to shoot elements of the wedding day quickly (Will work with D3 when handling speed and high ISO dictate the need)

New sensor technology - hadnt realised how much better this back was at shooting up to 1600 until I saw the comparisons here http://www.sunshinecompany.co.za/ind...on-mf-vs-35mm/

40 m vs 30m image is not a big benefit for me but it will allow me to crop the images to a higher degree

The "crop sensor" is beneficial as it makes the relatively reasonably priced 50-150 a very good effective range for my needs and I can get a 35 or 28 if I need to go wider.

Having seen the quality of work being produced and the look of the pictures the quality that can be produced is far beyond what I expected when I asked the question a couple of weeks ago.

I guess I could also get most of what I need from a P40+ back from phase but I dont think I can get a camera that will also work in the same budget.

This however now leaves me with just one issue - Just how go I afford the extra £3.5 K ???

Thanks so much for all your help to date
    Tim

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

well - Having read everyyhing there is available - looked at detail in pictures and picture sets I have come to the conclusion that the HD4-40 is the best camera for me for the following reasons .

True focus - this is probably the biggest enabler to allow me to shoot elements of the wedding day quickly (Will work with D3 when handling speed and high ISO dictate the need)

New sensor technology - hadnt realised how much better this back was at shooting up to 1600 until I saw the comparisons here http://www.sunshinecompany.co.za/ind...on-mf-vs-35mm/

40 m vs 30m image is not a big benefit for me but it will allow me to crop the images to a higher degree

The "crop sensor" is beneficial as it makes the relatively reasonably priced 50-150 a very good effective range for my needs and I can get a 35 or 28 if I need to go wider.

Having seen the quality of work being produced and the look of the pictures the quality that can be produced is far beyond what I expected when I asked the question a couple of weeks ago.

I guess I could also get most of what I need from a P40+ back from phase but I dont think I can get a camera that will also work in the same budget.

This however now leaves me with just one issue - Just how go I afford the extra £3.5 K ???

Thanks so much for all your help to date
    Tim
    Do what everyone else has done when faced with making the stretch to MFD $$$$$ ... sell something else. It is amazing all the stuff you eventually collect, and feel is essential, that actually isn't. It all adds up when you start selling it off.

MFD may also spur getting other types of paying work ... I do some simple parts and fabric photography that HAS to be shot with MFD which helps during down wedding months. A little here, a little there, also adds up. I have one of those to do today.

Plus, what you are buying will most certainly devaluate, but it isn't suddenly worthless if you get into a real financial jam ... I just came up with that one for myself so I can move forward with my H4D/60 or H4D/50 MS trade-in deal

BTW, get the 28. IMO, it's better than the 35 and makes fab interior church shots that'll flip you out when you see it.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Tim, i'm glad you finally came to a decision. Not just for weddings, but even portraits or bridals. Wait until you see the quality. You are going to be amazed!

I can't put into words how fun it is to shoot with this system.

btw - i just put a few more photos up taken with it: http://www.flickr.com/photos/symbolphotography/

Enjoy and report back!

Post Thanks / Like

Lovely range in those pictures Brendan - I'm in discussions with Hasselblad uk about purchasing one of their EX demo HD4-40's - I would save close to $3000 on the best price I can buy for new

Tim