The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad HCD 28mm f/4 or HC 35mm f3.5?

johnnygoesdigital

I'm interested in the HC 35mm f/3.5 for an H4D or an HCD 28mm.
Obviously, a larger diagonal is apparent in the 28mm and that's great for landscapes, but also has a vignetting effect when used with certain filter holders. The 35mm f/ 3.5 is faster and should produce a fantastic wide landscape. Also the 35mm is less expensive.

Jeffg53

Sound like you've answered your own question. You'll be lucky to find anyone with both. I have the 28 and 35-90. The 28 is regarded as one of the better H lenses while the 35 is one of the lesser stars.

Jeff do you find yourself using the 28mm a lot for wider stuff? I'm finding I could go a bit wider then the 35-90mm a lot of the time.

Dustbak

I have both the 28 as well as the 35. The 28 I find a much better lens. I would not hesitate to use the 28 wide open where as the 35 needs to be stopped down to above f5.6 before it gets good.

The 28 is also smaller. Actually I have not taken out the 35 anymore since I got the 28. Now that I have the 35-90 I expect the 35 will even see less usage.

I rarely use filters!

BTW. a short test showed me the 28 could also be put to pretty good use on the H4D60 under circumstances (as well as the 35-90).

P. Chong

I had both the 28 and 35...but the 28 is so much better for my style of photography, that I sold the 35...no regrets.

The 28 is a truly magnificent lens. I have toyed with the idea of a circular polarizer on my 28, but have not since bought one yet...the 95mm filter size is quite challenging.

anyone using the Lee 100mm filter holder with the lee 105mm Circ Polarizer with the 28mm? wondering if you can see the corners, I use this setup a lot on the 35-90mm.

Jeffg53

Jeff do you find yourself using the 28mm a lot for wider stuff? I'm finding I could go a bit wider then the 35-90mm a lot of the time.
Hi Will, I don't use the 28 much at all. I just don't see the world that way. When I have used it, it has been great though.

Jeffg53

anyone using the Lee 100mm filter holder with the lee 105mm Circ Polarizer with the 28mm? wondering if you can see the corners, I use this setup a lot on the 35-90mm.
Hi again Will, I have the Lee polariser setup. I can try it for you when I get back to Sydney and report back, if you wish.

That would be great if you could Jeff cheers! im heading to NZ in Jan wondering if i need the 28mm :p, sorry to Hijack your thread Jonny.

johnnygoesdigital

Excellent comments, I do use the Lee 95mm screw in adapter and 4x4, 4x6 filters for the 28mm. There are some slight vignetting effects from the filter. Also, I tried the Lee 100 mm filter holder, it's supposed to mount on the outside of the 28mm, but does not fit. Actually, if anyone is interested i'll sell it for
$115.00 brand new, never used. These retail for $160.00 at B/H.

jecxz

Excellent comments, I do use the Lee 95mm screw in adapter and 4x4, 4x6 filters for the 28mm. There are some slight vignetting effects from the filter. Also, I tried the Lee 100 mm filter holder, it's supposed to mount on the outside of the 28mm, but does not fit. Actually, if anyone is interested i'll sell it for
$115.00 brand new, never used. These retail for $160.00 at B/H.
H3DII39 + 28mm + HTS + Lee 100mm filter

Kind regards,
Derek Jecxz
www.jecxz.com

fotografz

I do. Plus the 35-90 doesn't work on the HTS and the 28 does.

I sold my 35mm after getting the 28. I just never used it. I think the 35 end of 35-90 is better anyway ... at least my copy seems to be.

-Marc

Jeffg53

That would be great if you could Jeff cheers! im heading to NZ in Jan wondering if i need the 28mm :p, sorry to Hijack your thread Jonny.
I just tried the 28 with the Lee 95mm adapter and my polariser setup which allows for a single grad and polariser. There is vignetting at f/4 which improves but is still visible at f/16. It's not bad at f/4 but visible. I can send you the FFF if you wish.

My experience in NZ is that I needed a 2 stop soft a lot of the time, particularly during the day.

Thanks for that Jeff! I rarely shoot wide open really, looks like Ill get the lens :) that's true about the 35-90mm not working with the HTS I totally forgot about that.

Thomas73

Hi all,

It seems there is a "slim" UV filter 95mm in Hasselblad catalogue (ref. 3053495), additional to the regular UV filter 95mm (ref. 3053478)... Is there an improvement for the 28mm ? Did someone try it ?

Zerimar

Everywhere I've seen the 28 trumps the 35. For the 1.3x crop backs I think the 28 would particularly be more useful, as my 35 isn't wide enough with my IQ150.. It's a shame that you need a H4x/H5x to use this, as well as the 24 and 35-90.