The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

AFI-II 7: 40mm - Angulon or Distagon?

Schmiddi

Hello all,

I recently managed "to do it" and now have an AFI-II 7, lenses so far are AFD50+80, Zeiss 110 and an old manual 180mm. When doing no mistakes it's simple stunning... Still learning!
Now I want to add some more wide angle, so last (I think :ROTFL:) lens to add will be a 40mm.
And there are two options: an Angulon or a Distagon. Any one tried both? All help is very welcome :)

All the best and many thanks,
Andreas

Graham Mitchell

The Super-Angulon is a great lens. Compact and sharp. I believe the Zeiss lens is much bigger, with a floating lens element that has to be focused separately which sounds cumbersome but I have not tried it myself.

Last edited:

Schmiddi

Tere Graham,

many thanks - so I think I will prefer the Angulon (less weight is always nice...). Maybe I'll have it, when I come over to Jägala and Keila Joa end of February / early March (in case that winter will be cold enough to freeze the waterfalls)...

Thanks again,
Andreas

BradleyGibson

First of all, congratulations!

Let me echo Graham, here and give +1 for the Angulon.

I've owned both, and while they both have different strengths, both are superb!

The internal focus version of the 40mm Distagon never made it to Rollei. Even if it had, it's worth noting that the S-A is much smaller and lighter...

Last edited:

Geoff

The S-A is a most lovely lens - compact, light, no fall off, sharp to the corners, etc. Welcome to the family.