The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Favorite medium format film for people, wedding?

kdphotography

It has been many many years since I shot film----but I liked Kodak Portra 160 NC. Also liked Portra 400VC for a bit more punch.

arashm

Gosh
I feel strange making this reco.
Haven't shot film in years, makes me feel all nostalgic.
I agree the kodak portra film were great.
But I loved my Fuji Color Reala and NPZ 800
For BW I use to always go for Fuji Acros, Ilford Delta 3200 and Ilford XP2 for convenience.
am

S

SCHWARZZEIT

My favorite film for portraits so far has been Fuji Astia 100F. I have yet to try Kodak's E100G which seems to have some more pop. Astia has a very natural look. Some say it's muted while in fact it just lacks that boost we're used to from many other slide films. Astia is also known for balancing color temperature of various light sources really well. It's a more subtle transparency film.

On the color negative side I've had great results from Kodak's Portra line and Fuji's Pro 160S. On weddings with it's uncontrolled lighting conditions color neg film is preferable. There's a review on the new Portra 400 at Figital Revolution. You can even get decent results at 1600 ASA from that film. The Fuji 400H seems to be close with a slightly more muted color palette.
But in low light situations you will get a grainy look even from those modern films. That can be an aesthetic choice, especially when shooting people in available low light it can help to carry over the mood of the situation. And with negative film you don't have to worry about light sources within your frame because of their incredible headroom for highlight rendering. This is just something I see ruining so many digital low light shots. If however you prefer cleaner results the available digital options might be a much better choice.

One more remark about Fuji. Fuji USA has stopped importing the Pro line color negative films from Japan. Kodak color neg films are much more accessible in the USA.

-Dominique

robmac

Having used it in 35mm, another vote for Portra 160 NC. Great detail & color and scans beautifully.

Fuji RAP (Astia)... the original one. Not RAP III (the current version). The first version was accurate beyond belief. The "improved" version was more reality on steroids... though nowhere near that of Provia, which I reserve for cloudy or hazy atmosphere.

Professional

As expected, seems it is a personal tastes, may agree on one film but then we have different personal choices as well.
In fact i started to use film just this year, so i don't have any long experience at all with film or old film, and so far i love many film i tasted for portraits, no one particular film as the best or top favorite yet, almost all are great on different applications of portraits.