The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pentax 645D vs S2

fotografz

It is interesting how time and actual experience alters one's perspective.

I did go for the S2P and have all four S lenses available. IMO, the S2 is far more portable than a 645 (I've owned a Contax 645, Mamiya 645 and H 645s). The S2 promotes "take with" in just about the same manner as a Pro 645. Smaller case needed, easier to store the lenses than the H versions I have, not as bulky and handles exactly like a 35mm DSLR. Very bright viewfinder.

While the S2 cannot compete with my H4D/60 in terms of resolution it creams all my 35mm solutions and has the same ratio. The S lenses have come into their own and really needed to be experienced in post to realize the characteristics which I at first thought to be too clinical ... in fact, like I suspect others first did, I applied the wrong level of sharpening to my first test files ... which simply isn't needed. All four of S lenses are the best I've used to date, with the stand-outs being the 120/2.5 Macro (finally an optic that bests the Contax 120/4 IMO), and S180. The 35 is far better than the HC35 and even edged out the 35 end of the highly acclaimed HCD/35-90 with DAC corrections applied in Phocus. Since then Adobe added DAC type corrections for the S lenses which has almost no effect on the 70,120,180 but does slightly improve the S35 to make it even more well corrected.

The net is, I now have difficulty telling the S2 shots from the M9 shots when mixed altogether ... except the S2 files are twice the size.

Leica has issued new firmware that significantly improved the AF performance over the S2 I tested the year prior, and recently issued a profile so the S2 files can now be processed in C1.

Of course, all of this comes at a staggering price, so it's all relative.

-Marc

gogopix

Subscriber
The ergonomics of the S2 were a big advantage on two trips (2 wks) where I was able to compare the C645/P65+ nto the S2. Exept for a few situations (where I wanted large prints) the S2 was lighter and "got more shots. I even used for panos, and I for one have no problem with lens shift rather than back) depends on lens and orientation (I mostly use 50-80 mm vertically)

With 4 rotator cups, broken wrist and neck disk problems (I BREAK things :eek: ) the S2 was a LOT lighter feeling. Curiously it felt bigger in my hand than thenContax.

Will I switch? let's see what the IQ180 brings. I am already looking at modifying my Modular R for Hassy V or S2,

If I do switch, a really complet system will go on the market for the contax fans here. I will keep a few lenses, extra body and a film back, for 'posterity":loco:

Victor