The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

P80

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Well, before the H4D80 should not be difficult given the history of the last years - I myself being a Hasselblad photographer stating that :D

Anyway I also think it will be called P85+ and I would assume that it will be announced at PMA 2011 - at least what my crystal ball tells me ;)

No matter when it is announced I will not be able to afford it too - rather then a P65+, which should become cheaper :p

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
I just hope it's more than a simple mp upgrade ... improved display and some other features would be nice.

Y

yossarians22

It would be nice if Phase merged the aptus and p+ product lines so that we'd have the best of both worlds (leaf: touchscreen/rotating sensor phase: passive cooling/build quality/long exposures)in one product but with the announcement of the new leaf back it doesn't appear like that is going to happen.

fotografz

Ill upgrade my H4D-40 when they bring an 80 out should be couple years or so?
Who knows what or when. Hassey seems to have been concentrating on other stuff like the HTS, True Focus, new lens replacements for the 150, 50, and 120, battery application for the H4D/60, new firmware to implement the higher res LCD on the 60, and the current 200 meg Multi-Shot module project for the H4D/50-MS. Only so many bodies and resources ... (although they could have skipped any effort on the red H4D IMO). Personally, I prefer a resource focus on useful real-world features over more and more pixels.

Still debating the 60 verses the 50 Multi-Shot, but I think I'm in the same mind set as you ... skip the 60 and see what happens in the next year or two. No hurry, business still sucks in my area ... and my current CF/39 Multi-shot is more than enough for any current client need (I shoot a lot of "unglamorous" fabric samples for GM to pay the rent).

What I really wish for is a CF-II/50 Multi-Shot. Since the CFV/50 was announced, I've rekindled those hopes ... but still seriously doubt it'll happen ... which is a crying shame.

-Marc

Dustbak

Ill upgrade my H4D-40 when they bring an 80 out should be couple years or so?

You sure about that? Your current 40 has a 4minute max exposure with great results.

I have never seen a Dalsa do more than 32 seconds and we are not even discussing how it looks like.

I am in the same boat and still wondering whether I want the H4D50MS or the H4D60. Pro's and con's for both.

Business has been excellent this year but who knows when that will end..

fotografz

You sure about that? Your current 40 has a 4minute max exposure with great results.

I have never seen a Dalsa do more than 32 seconds and we are not even discussing how it looks like.

I am in the same boat and still wondering whether I want the H4D50MS or the H4D60. Pro's and con's for both.

Business has been excellent this year but who knows when that will end..
Obviously you aren't in the Detroit area ... and if you are, can I come work for you ... :ROTFL:

-Marc

ptomsu

Workshop Member
This one is really great Terry!

Interesting how narrow vendors specify the usage boundaries of their gear, for me this image is also technically full ok.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
P80 would be a more accurate name, just like it should have been P60 - kind of false advertising don't you think?
Just think of it this way:
P#0 or P#1 means smaller sensor
P#5 means larger sensor

See for instance the smaller sensor P30 which is actually 31.6 megapixels (not very good false advertising!)

I'd be just as happy if they used the megapixel number, but phase has been producing digital backs for a long time and in the early days of digital photographers thought in MB of TIFF file size (from film scans) rather than megapixels.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One at 10% off

Dustbak

Marc,
I've done more than 30 seconds with a P40+ Here is a one minute exposure....skip the content but technically it didn't have a noise issue

View attachment 37982

It wasn't Marc that made that remark but me. You are right. The microlens equipped P40 does 60sec's and carries a Dalsa. Kind of hard to assess how the noise behaviour in your image is but I trust it when you say it is good.

Still 60s is a long way from the Kodaks (P+'s and even H4D40).

Sure there is always the exception to the rule :) However I would not keep my breath for a Dalsa equipped back that delivers good long exposures

Dustbak

Obviously you aren't in the Detroit area ... and if you are, can I come work for you ... :ROTFL:

-Marc
Nope, the Netherlands are a long way off from Detroit :). I have heard it is (or has been) pretty bad in your area. Over here the atmosphere is sometimes a bit grim. Not everyone is doing well. Not sure why I did last year, not complaining here anyway. I am simply trying to keep a low profile, clinch my buttocks together and praise the fact I did well and hope this will continue until business starts picking up everywhere.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
It wasn't Marc that made that remark but me. You are right. The microlens equipped P40 does 60sec's and carries a Dalsa. Kind of hard to assess how the noise behaviour in your image is but I trust it when you say it is good.

Still 60s is a long way from the Kodaks (P+'s and even H4D40).

Sure there is always the exception to the rule :) However I would not keep my breath for a Dalsa equipped back that delivers good long exposures
P40 + does not have micro lenses and I have gone a full minute just around the corner where Terry shot with excellent results . Can it go longer not sure it was cold out and it probably could have went 2 minutes. Hard to say

This one was 30 seconds and I did go 60 seconds same shot and looks identical

fotografz

Nope, the Netherlands are a long way off from Detroit :). I have heard it is (or has been) pretty bad in your area. Over here the atmosphere is sometimes a bit grim. Not everyone is doing well. Not sure why I did last year, not complaining here anyway. I am simply trying to keep a low profile, clinch my buttocks together and praise the fact I did well and hope this will continue until business starts picking up everywhere.
:thumbs:

goesbang

Ah, the speculation! Gives me the giggles when I hear the speculation about a Blad 80Mp. It's almost 2 years since they "announced" the H4d60 and they are only now delivering a small trickle of cameras. I'm very glad to have been a Phase user since the H5.
Re the long exposure issue, I think the whole debate is a beatup. Yes, the P65+ gets noisy when you go over 60 sec and it gets worse as you shoot consecutive frames. In cool weather this does not happen. The last time I had issues with it, I was shooting 65sec exposures in 50degC weather in the Arabian desert. We've since started applying ice packs to the back on the rare occasion we expose this long. Problem gone. Lets be clear about this - under 60sec I have never seen the allegedly god-awful noise. Despite all the chatter on the forums about it, I have yet to see evidence of the problem in the 30-50+sec range when the back is used in temps under 40degC.
BTW, unlike film-era view camera lenses, digi era technical camera lenses such as the apo-digitars etc are optimized for much larger apertures, often in the f8-f11 range. At these apertures, ultra-long exposures are pretty rare in general practice.