The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One KB 1221, Use of Non-retro focus lenses

ggriswold

http://www.phaseone.com/en/search/article.aspx?articleid=1221&languageid=1

Dates from August 2009, but specifically states:
"Furthermore the P 65+ is not recommended with extreme wide non-retro focus lenses like the Schneider Kreuznach 35mm XL and even the Schneider Kreuznack 47 mm XL
Even though these lenses has more than 70 mm image circle, they are producing a very steep angle incoming light along the edges, occasionally causing thin lines to show up in the image. Note that this can also occur with the P 40+". <<see attached image>>

I mention this not to raise a red flag, but to say that I never have experienced this phenomenon. Using a 24mm SK XL and 35mm SK XL with my Cambo RS I have never had the lines show up with moderate rise or shift. Can't remember any of you mentioning this, but wanted to throw it out there. Anyone experienced this?

George

Last edited:

goesbang

Yes, I see it occasionally. I shoot P65+ on Horseman SW-D with Rodenstock 35mm Apo-Sironar Digital and Schneider 24mm Apo Digitar XL.
It is sometimes visible, usually in areas with lighter tones. It's an artefact caused by light striking the sensor at a very steep angle.
The new Rodenstocks which I think are a semi-retrofocus design are better performers in this regard.
Cheers,

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Yes, I see it occasionally. I shoot P65+ on Horseman SW-D with Rodenstock 35mm Apo-Sironar Digital and Schneider 24mm Apo Digitar XL.
It is sometimes visible, usually in areas with lighter tones. It's an artefact caused by light striking the sensor at a very steep angle.
The new Rodenstocks which I think are a semi-retrofocus design are better performers in this regard.
Cheers,
That directly matches our experience with various clients.

24mm XL with the 65+ is the is the worst offender, followed by the 35mm XL with moderate movements in areas of continuos light tone.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

nyesimmons

Will a LLC in C1 correct this optical aberration? Is it worse when the lens is tilted or the back shifted to the edge of the image circle?

Leigh

This problem is not unique to Phase One.

Hasselblad recommends against using their digital back with the SuperWide body and its 38mm Zeiss Biogon lens, for the same reason. The incident angle of the light toward the edges of the sensor is too acute for proper detection, resulting in color fringing or other optical anomalies.

This problem cannot be corrected by using a lens with a different optical design, since by definition the distance from the rear node to the film when focused at infinity must equal the focal length. Thus the angle of incidence of the light rays at any point on the film plane will be the same for all lenses of a given focal length.

- Leigh

yaya

This problem cannot be corrected by using a lens with a different optical design, since by definition the distance from the rear node to the film when focused at infinity must equal the focal length. Thus the angle of incidence of the light rays at any point on the film plane will be the same for all lenses of a given focal length.
- Leigh
Retrofocal design means that the exit pupil sits farther away from the film (sensor) plane and thus reduces the angle in which the light hits the sensor

You'll be hard pressed to see any colour shift effects with e.g. the Mamiya/ Phase One 28mm lens on a 645 body

Leigh

Retrofocal design means that the exit pupil sits farther away from the film (sensor) plane and thus reduces the angle in which the light hits the sensor
Nope... sorry

The retrofocal design places the rear principle plane behind (toward the film) the rear physical lens element. This allows the glass to be moved forward far enough to clear an SLR mirror movement or similar internal obstructions.

The definition of focal length, i.e. the distance from the rear principle plane (exit pupil) to the film plane has not changed.

- Leigh

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Nope... sorry

The definition of focal length, i.e. the distance from the rear principle plane (exit pupil) to the film plane has not changed.

- Leigh
To correct things further, the rear principal plane and the exit pupil are NOT the same things... Exit pupil is basically just the "virtual aperture" of the lens.

ggriswold

Interesting article, thank you Yair.
Using a Cambo RS with a P40+ would it work to create and save LCC corrections for each lens and say +/- lens rise and fall (steps of 5)?
35mm 0
35mm +5
35mm +10
35mm -5
35mm -10 and so on.

I have been doing the LCC on each shoot and correction file pulldown is filling up with lots of LCCs. Maybe for critical work do new ones, but for more general work you could access the "library".
The other reason I haven't done standard LCCs if there is some bad surprise with lots of dust (say a lens change and no laptop to check sensor) you are covered with the dust removal in Capture One.
What do you think?

Leigh

To correct things further, the rear principal plane and the exit pupil are NOT the same things...
Yep, you're right.

I never work with exit pupils, so I wasn't thinking straight. Lens design programs only work with principle planes and nodes.

Thanks.

- Leigh