The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leaf 75s: price? quality?

chrismuc

I could get a low actuations Leaf 75s for my Contax 645.
What would be a reasonable price for such a second hand back?
Does it have a good reputation for a 48x33mm 33MP back?
Is there any technical difference between the Aptus 75s and the Aptus II 7?
I assume it has no microlenses.
What's the highest useful exposure time?
Does live view work on a Macbook if the C645 + 75s is connected to the computer?
How does it compare to an Aptus II 8 44x33mm 40MP back or the PhaseOne P30+?
Any experience of recommendation?
Thx, Christoph

Last edited:
B

Ben Norton

That would depend on what kind of warranty you might get, accessories etc.

Yes.. very! nice neutral files. Great skin tones. Good all rounder!! The sensor size is 48x36 by the way.

Yes. The II7 has a new preview screen which lends itself a little better for outdoor work. The III7 is also FW800 rather than FW400 on the A75. The capture rate and buffer are faster on the AII7. Those would be my main points.

You are correct.

The backs longest exposure is 32 secs.

My best advice in that respect is to go to your dealer and try the others as well. You may find something else in the other backs that persuades you to buy new. Warranty, dealer support, Capture One DB free for life etc all play a part in the decision making process.

I've used all of the backs mentioned and i have my personal preferences. It really depends on what you're going to be shooting, what system you're going to put the back on. (focal lengths into smaller chips mean telephoto effect etc). Again, i would suggest trying all before committing to something the price of a family hatchback!

Good luck with your deliberation!

Ben
Peartree Photo

B

Ben Norton

Whoops... just reread this and noticed it's a 75s that you are looking at.
Disregard the info about FW400 and capture rates. They will both be the same!

Ben

chrismuc

Thx a lot for the info, Ben. Maybe I have the opportunity to test the 75s this weekend at a Hong Kong dealer/friend. I will report:)

Steve Hendrix

Does live view work on a Macbook if the C645 + 75s is connected to the computer?
Thx, Christoph

Christoph -

Don't know the manner in which you would be using this, but there are several differences in addition to the improved LCD screen. Live Preview for the Aptus-II is included, where it would require the USB dongle (which can be expensive) to be purchased for the 75-S. Also, Capture One DB (which is free) is compatible with the Aptus-II 7, while Capture One Pro is required for the Aptus 75-S. So potentially that is a $1,599 savings ($1,200 for the dongle, unless you found one used, $399 for C1 Pro).

Also, a newer model will possess a higher resale value, a higher trade-in value (currently $2,500 difference when trading up to an Aptus-II 12) , and if this can be equitably balanced with the purchase price, sometimes newer is the way to go, getting current technology at a very modest bottom line increase in price over used. Of course this depends on the used pricing (sometimes a used product is just absolutely scalped, so there are exceptions). But don't forget also to factor in dealer support, active warranty (though very reliable, digital back repairs can be expensive). Also while we include all the original components and accessories (original case, batteries, charger, cables, masks, etc) with every pre-owned digital back we sell, this may not be the case buying used from an end user or another dealer.

And sometimes new features, including camera compatibility and enhanced functionality is specific to newer models vs older models.

But, sometimes a used deal is just a steal and you have to go for it. These are just some contextual considerations to determine whether it really is the best way to go, both near and long term.

As far as P30+, which you mentioned, a very different beast. Smaller sensor (44mm x 33mm vs 48mm x 36mm), about the same resolution (31MP vs 33MP), but the P30+ does employ micro-lenses which provides the benefit of being able to shoot 31MP at ISO 400/800 easily and ISO 1600 in a push, but the detriment of not being able to use it effectively with any movement-based cameras/lenses.

Best of luck to you Christoph.

Thanks,
Steve

yaya

Thx, Christoph
Hi Christof, a few pointers:

The Aptus-II 7's screen is active also when shooting tethered, with the ability to zoom in to check focus and to see the histogram. On the A75s the screen is disabled in tethered mode.

The II has a few more functions on the LCD such as grids and a field to fill in your lens focal length if you are on a view camera

On the Contax, Live View does not work on either models. The longest exposure in Manual or Tv modes is 8 seconds and in Aperture Priority 21 seconds

On a view camera, if you use Capture One PRO you do not need a dongle for Live View with any of the Leaf backs. You only need one if you use Leaf Capture

Tethered shooting with Capture One is faster with the II 7 in terms of preview speed and consistency, even though the backs are very similar, hardware wise

I agree with everything that Steve has said regarding buying used Vs new and buying from a dealer Vs buying private

Enjoy the trial!

Yair

chrismuc

Many thanks Steve and Yair,
as Yair knows, my original intention was to get an Aptus II 12 especially because the sensor is (nearly) full 645 format (and has no micro lenses which might be better for wide angle and shift purposes). So now I might have this opportunity to test a 75s and if it would be nicely priced, this could be a reasonable first step to get into MF digital photography.
Q: Does Macbook live view work with the later/actual Leaf (and Phase One?) backs?
Q: The restriction to 8s exposure time in manual mode on a Contax is also valid for later Leaf backs or only the 75s?
Q: Why has Leaf even on the Aptus II 12 model not included a high res touch screen which should not be too expensive and is state of technology at any smartphone.

yaya

Many thanks Steve and Yair,
as Yair knows, my original intention was to get an Aptus II 12 especially because the sensor is (nearly) full 645 format (and has no micro lenses which might be better for wide angle and shift purposes). So now I might have this opportunity to test a 75s and if it would be nicely priced, this could be a reasonable first step to get into MF digital photography.
Yes the A75S is an excellent back and can serve you well. Like Steve said if the price is right and if there's a dealer behind it you should jump on it
Q: Does Macbook live view work with the later/actual Leaf (and Phase One?) backs?
If it's on a Contax it won't work with any Leaf back, old or new. If you use the back on a view camera it will work (you'll need a dongle for Leaf Capture, not needed in Capture One PRO)

Q: The restriction to 8s exposure time in manual mode on a Contax is also valid for later Leaf backs or only the 75s?
Same for all backs, it's a restriction of the camera body and the way it communicates with the backs

Q: Why has Leaf even on the Aptus II 12 model not included a high res touch screen which should not be too expensive and is state of technology at any smartphone.
I can go into a long answer that will bore you...the short answer is that putting a higher res screen in requires additional hardware and software changes which cannot be justified for One model only (all Leaf backs share the same electronic components) and may also require chassis design changes. The cost of the actual screen is not really relevant

hope this helps

Yair