The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One 6 iPad with Capture Pilot A++

ggriswold

C1 6 iPad display with Capture Pilot A+

This is a fantastic development... images pop up on your iPad using free app called Capture Pilot. Worked first time out of the gate. You can zoom and scroll through images. The display also has a histogram that you can place anywhere on the screen.
Even if you have to tether to get this functionality at least you can use the iPad to review or hand off for someone to look at without being under foot.

Lots to investigate, but this is a big step for Phase One back owners wanting to check shots without dragging a laptop with them. You still need to tether the Capture One computer, but this is progress.

Thanks Phase One...

Last edited:
Just thinking out loud here, but imagine this app and iPad tethered to a back mounted on a tech camera for landscape shooting.

ggriswold

At this point you would need a laptop running Capture One 6 and then use the iPad to show the shots. I am working on a way to get MacBook Pro to link via WiFi directly to iPad without an access point. There is some way to do that with a jailbreak... don't want to try that just yet. Gotta be a way.

Don Libby

okay I'll admit my ears did just perk at the idea of tethering an iPod to my P45+/Cambo WRS. Then I starting thinking...

Firewire coming from the back and the iPod has a USB and I use that term loosely. We're talking about using the camera kit for the iPod then somehow be able to use a cable that would have an USB connector on one end and a firewire on the other. We'd also have to somehow make the iPod be willing to do a handshake with the P45.

Am I missing something here? Maybe the iPod II or III will be able to do this.

S

selsoe

At this point you would need a laptop running Capture One 6 and then use the iPad to show the shots. I am working on a way to get MacBook Pro to link via WiFi directly to iPad without an access point. There is some way to do that with a jailbreak... don't want to try that just yet. Gotta be a way.
You don't need to jailbreak anything. It's described on the Phase One help pages:
http://help.phaseone.com/en/CO6/Capture-One-User-Interface/Viewing-Photos/Capture-Pilot.aspx

ggriswold

You don't need to jailbreak anything. It's described on the Phase One help pages:
http://help.phaseone.com/en/CO6/Capture-One-User-Interface/Viewing-Photos/Capture-Pilot.aspx
I was referring to the ability to go from a MacBook Pro directly via wireless to iPad without an access point. Works fine with an available wireless network. I envision being in the wild with no access point and want to review shots and being able to move around to operate the camera for adjustments. There are portable wi-fi nodes available, but am researching the other option.

S

selsoe

That's exactly what I'm talking about. You're looking for Internet sharing. Read the link

etrigan63

Internet sharing on a 3G iPad or iPhone 4 exists and costs money, plus you have to physically tether the devices. A jailbroken iPhone can be easily converted into a Wifi hotspot anywhere there is 3G service, but make sure to have it connected to power because it will suck the battery dry in nothing flat.

ggriswold

Got it:

On MacBook Pro, Create network (name of laptop).

On iPad, connect to that network. Start up apps as usual.

Boom, you are linked w/o wi-fi access point. Fantastic.

George

Last edited:
S

selsoe

Internet sharing on a 3G iPad or iPhone 4 exists and costs money, plus you have to physically tether the devices. A jailbroken iPhone can be easily converted into a Wifi hotspot anywhere there is 3G service, but make sure to have it connected to power because it will suck the battery dry in nothing flat.
I'm talking about Internet sharing from the Mac. If only you would believe me ;)

ggriswold

Selsoe.. I had that working in 3 minutes this morning... got it.
I am talking about functioning AWAY from a wi-fi access point which I got working this afternoon and described in my previous post. Imagine you are in the middle of nowhere (forest, urban wasteland, etc) and want to review on an iPad... that is what I got working. The tech notes do not make any mention of setting up an ad hoc network which is what this entails.

Doesn't look like we are going to agree on the objective or the solution here...
Thanks,
George

yaya

Got it:

On MacBook Pro, Create network (name of laptop).

On iPad, connect to that network. Start up apps as usual.

Boom, you are linked w/o wi-fi access point. Fantastic.

George
Been using ad-hoc networking with iPod Touch and iPhone for nearly 2 years now with Leaf Capture Remote, which is what Capture Pilot is based on

Only trouble is that Laptops' ad-hoc networks are not 100% stable and you have to re-create them every time you want to use it

Yair

jduncan

Re: C1 6 iPad display with Capture Pilot A+

This is a fantastic development... images pop up on your iPad using free app called Capture Pilot. Worked first time out of the gate. You can zoom and scroll through images. The display also has a histogram that you can place anywhere on the screen.
Even if you have to tether to get this functionality at least you can use the iPad to review or hand off for someone to look at without being under foot.

Lots to investigate, but this is a big step for Phase One back owners wanting to check shots without dragging a laptop with them. You still need to tether the Capture One computer, but this is progress.

Thanks Phase One...
Do you know how it compares to the Hasselblad solution?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Re: C1 6 iPad display with Capture Pilot A+

Do you know how it compares to the Hasselblad solution?
Among other things Capture One's app will be useful to Canon/Nikon shooters since Capture One supports native tethering of those cameras.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

etrigan63

I am happy to report that tethering and Capture Pilot worked perfectly with my D700. No live preview, though.