Site Sponsors

Thread: Capture One 6 iPad with Capture Pilot A++

Post Thanks / Like

C1 6 iPad display with Capture Pilot A+

This is a fantastic development... images pop up on your iPad using free app called Capture Pilot. Worked first time out of the gate. You can zoom and scroll through images. The display also has a histogram that you can place anywhere on the screen.
    Even if you have to tether to get this functionality at least you can use the iPad to review or hand off for someone to look at without being under foot.

Lots to investigate, but this is a big step for Phase One back owners wanting to check shots without dragging a laptop with them. You still need to tether the Capture One computer, but this is progress.

Thanks Phase One...
    Last edited by ggriswold; 21st July 2013 at 08:36.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Capture One 6 iPad with Capture Pilot A++

Just thinking out loud here, but imagine this app and iPad tethered to a back mounted on a tech camera for landscape shooting.

Post Thanks / Like

At this point you would need a laptop running Capture One 6 and then use the iPad to show the shots. I am working on a way to get MacBook Pro to link via WiFi directly to iPad without an access point. There is some way to do that with a jailbreak... don't want to try that just yet. Gotta be a way.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

okay I'll admit my ears did just perk at the idea of tethering an iPod to my P45+/Cambo WRS. Then I starting thinking...

Firewire coming from the back and the iPod has a USB and I use that term loosely. We're talking about using the camera kit for the iPod then somehow be able to use a cable that would have an USB connector on one end and a firewire on the other. We'd also have to somehow make the iPod be willing to do a handshake with the P45.

Am I missing something here? Maybe the iPod II or III will be able to do this.
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

selsoe

Quote Originally Posted by ggriswold View Post
    At this point you would need a laptop running Capture One 6 and then use the iPad to show the shots. I am working on a way to get MacBook Pro to link via WiFi directly to iPad without an access point. There is some way to do that with a jailbreak... don't want to try that just yet. Gotta be a way.
    You don't need to jailbreak anything. It's described on the Phase One help pages:
    http://help.phaseone.com/en/CO6/Capt...ure-Pilot.aspx

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by selsoe View Post
    You don't need to jailbreak anything. It's described on the Phase One help pages:
    http://help.phaseone.com/en/CO6/Capt...ure-Pilot.aspx
    I was referring to the ability to go from a MacBook Pro directly via wireless to iPad without an access point. Works fine with an available wireless network. I envision being in the wild with no access point and want to review shots and being able to move around to operate the camera for adjustments. There are portable wi-fi nodes available, but am researching the other option.

selsoe

That's exactly what I'm talking about. You're looking for Internet sharing. Read the link

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Internet sharing on a 3G iPad or iPhone 4 exists and costs money, plus you have to physically tether the devices. A jailbroken iPhone can be easily converted into a Wifi hotspot anywhere there is 3G service, but make sure to have it connected to power because it will suck the battery dry in nothing flat.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like

Got it:

On MacBook Pro, Create network (name of laptop).

On iPad, connect to that network. Start up apps as usual.

Boom, you are linked w/o wi-fi access point. Fantastic.

George
    Last edited by ggriswold; 2nd December 2010 at 10:31.

selsoe

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    Internet sharing on a 3G iPad or iPhone 4 exists and costs money, plus you have to physically tether the devices. A jailbroken iPhone can be easily converted into a Wifi hotspot anywhere there is 3G service, but make sure to have it connected to power because it will suck the battery dry in nothing flat.
    I'm talking about Internet sharing from the Mac. If only you would believe me

Post Thanks / Like

Selsoe.. I had that working in 3 minutes this morning... got it.
    I am talking about functioning AWAY from a wi-fi access point which I got working this afternoon and described in my previous post. Imagine you are in the middle of nowhere (forest, urban wasteland, etc) and want to review on an iPad... that is what I got working. The tech notes do not make any mention of setting up an ad hoc network which is what this entails.

Doesn't look like we are going to agree on the objective or the solution here...
    Thanks,
    George

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Got it:

On MacBook Pro, Create network (name of laptop).

On iPad, connect to that network. Start up apps as usual.

Boom, you are linked w/o wi-fi access point. Fantastic.

George
    Been using ad-hoc networking with iPod Touch and iPhone for nearly 2 years now with Leaf Capture Remote, which is what Capture Pilot is based on

Only trouble is that Laptops' ad-hoc networks are not 100% stable and you have to re-create them every time you want to use it

Yair
    Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One | Mamiya Leaf
    e: [email protected] | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | yaya's blog

Post Thanks / Like

Re: C1 6 iPad display with Capture Pilot A+

This is a fantastic development... images pop up on your iPad using free app called Capture Pilot. Worked first time out of the gate. You can zoom and scroll through images. The display also has a histogram that you can place anywhere on the screen.
    Even if you have to tether to get this functionality at least you can use the iPad to review or hand off for someone to look at without being under foot.

Lots to investigate, but this is a big step for Phase One back owners wanting to check shots without dragging a laptop with them. You still need to tether the Capture One computer, but this is progress.

Thanks Phase One...
    Do you know how it compares to the Hasselblad solution?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jduncan View Post
    Among other things Capture One's app will be useful to Canon/Nikon shooters since Capture One supports native tethering of those cameras.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
    Phase One Partner of the Year
    Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
    Newsletter | RSS Feed
    Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am happy to report that tethering and Capture Pilot worked perfectly with my D700. No live preview, though.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Finally, the stuff we were dreaming about is starting to happen. Love it.

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly Mark. I think once people try this and see that they can review shots as they work they will be happy.

Post Thanks / Like

We allow full remote camera control and remote rating of images (0 to 5 stars)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

At the moment it does not compare because one is available and one is not

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yaya View Post
    At the moment it does not compare because one is available and one is not
    No need to be catty!

Just responding to a question.

Ben Norton

Ha! Handbags at dawn.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Norton View Post
    Ha! Handbags at dawn.
    Meaningless competition. Hassey owners will have it soon enough and Phase folks have it now. Can't use one another's software anyway, so what's the point?

Remote camera control and rating is exactly what I'm hoping for to keep the tether cord short from camera to laptop or tower (more stable) while operating from anywhere I want ... worth the wait if that is true. If C1-6 also has that, then great. Very useful feature.

Much appreciated improvements from both companies that benefit MFD users across the board

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

and does any of this work for people who are tethering to a Windows computer?
    (but have an iPad?)

selsoe

Quote Originally Posted by narikin View Post
    and does any of this work for people who are tethering to a Windows computer?
    (but have an iPad?)
    Yes

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW I was on a gig Thursday and was shooting my Phase kit and was doing a important shoot but I mentioned to my client the next time I can shoot tethered to my computer but I can give you a Ipad to walk around with and see what I am doing and you can make set/personal adjustments as your standing there. I got this look like what magic are you bringing me. Client really loved this idea.
    Now folks this is a competitive market as we all know but the more functionality you can provide your client the more chances of returning are a given. This is not about us but your client and in the end more work for us the shooter. Something to think about. Yea we are shooters and we are geeks too but end of day it is about getting more food on our tables. Clients remember these things the next time a project comes up. My wife's Ipad may just get swiped. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just loaded up a session and the iPad App. The only two folders that I could chose from are selects and output. The main image folder for the session was not a choice. Is this correct?
    Last edited by Terry; 4th December 2010 at 07:08.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

@Terry,
    Yes that is correct, those are the choices.
    @Guy
    It seels that you can view but not make adjustments or picks as far as I have found.
    -bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    @Terry,
    Yes that is correct, those are the choices.

-bob
    Seems slightly odd. I would have thought the app would be useful when doing a shoot so someone could see the images as they are being captured....a remote tethering screen. However, if you can only see the selects folder there has to be a step where someone at the tethered computer adds it to the selects folder.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you create a "tethered" session, then a capture folder is created and it appears as an option.
    The capture folder is sort of the main image folder. The session root folder is not an option presented.
    -bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you create a "tethered" session, then a capture folder is created and it appears as an option.
    The capture folder is sort of the main image folder. The session root folder is not an option presented.
    -bob
    got it - makes more sense now

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post
    okay I'll admit my ears did just perk at the idea of tethering an iPod to my P45+/Cambo WRS. Then I starting thinking...

Firewire coming from the back and the iPod has a USB and I use that term loosely. We're talking about using the camera kit for the iPod then somehow be able to use a cable that would have an USB connector on one end and a firewire on the other. We'd also have to somehow make the iPod be willing to do a handshake with the P45.

Am I missing something here? Maybe the iPod II or III will be able to do this.
    Don,

This is quite out of my league here but as always, stand corrected and learn plenty more is my motto.

Many have been trying to "hand shake" usb-FW ie adapter or chip embedded in the adapter. Unfortunately, because of the different protocols between the two modes ie USB vs FW, it cannot be done (for now at least). Others claimed they were able to use it with their FW keyboard with the MacBook (non-Pro - so no FW but USB ports only) and some able to connect the older Canon DSLR FW via the said adapter.

But we decided to try it and got a hold of all the available adapters and none will hand shake with any of our FW devices - even with own power source - including P25+, P45+, Sinar 75LV, HB, HDD etc with our Macbook Pro 15, 17 and Mac Pro. Even with PC winxp-pro 32.

Even with the USB Express 34 hub adapter to insert the FW Express 34 insert - because the USB port needs the PCI-e on the motherboard.

It was earlier used with the initial ipod fw docking. and those back them were able to use the FW docking via USB port. how? I don't know. Hope this answer your wishlist along with many out there with the lack of FW ports ie MacBook Air 11"!

Brilliant idea...

selsoe

-bob

Furthermore, Albums and favorites kan also be used in Capture Pilot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rhsu View Post

Others claimed they were able to use it with their FW keyboard with the MacBook ...
    Ive been using Mac OS for about twenty years and have never heard of a FireWire keyboard. The protocol is wasted on the teensy bandwidth needs of keyboards and mice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

An example for a Firewire keyboard

Regarding connecting an iPad directly to a digital back...even if you manage to make it connect physically, you still have to make the back do the necessary processing+transmitting of the data, which is not really possible by using the average hacker's skill set...

Post Thanks / Like

Still unconvinced!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mediumcool View Post
    Still unconvinced!

Clear your cache, dump your cookies or use Firefox

Post Thanks / Like

Nah, Firefox is ugly ...

I prefer Safari and the ever-crashing Flash plug-in!

Ben Norton

Regarding connecting an iPad directly to a digital back...even if you manage to make it connect physically, you still have to make the back do the necessary processing+transmitting of the data, which is not really possible by using the average hacker's skill set...

So wait... you plug the Leaf in the end of the keyboard and play the Close Encounters jingle for the back to connect right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mediumcool View Post
    Still unconvinced!

The only time I ever see this screen on my Mac is when I use Google Chrome to download off the Phase web site! Changing to Safari solves it instantly!

Chrome is my default browser though. If only computers were as reliable as cameras............!!!!!
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com