The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

h4d frozen camera!

msadat

has anybody with an h4d body experienced any problems with the body/lens combo? i am just trying to chk and get as much information as i get before buying a used body. in another forum one person had a lot of problems with the body. TIA

johnnygoesdigital

My first H4D had to be replaced because of a shutter malfunction. My first H3D was replaced because of erroneous messages about "no lens connected", and "capture not possible" and a faulty viewfinder. My second H4D did not have the viewfinder firmware updated (easy fix though). and now the camera frequently freezes up when bracketing. Although, it's just a quick release and replace of the battery. that's not always convenient when your shooting outdoors.

I think issues are more related to software then mechanical (although, my shutter/mirror is to be considered). The frequency of issues with this model has me wondering if I made the right choice. The IQ is fantastic, the great results at 1600 ISO, true focus, and the ease to which one can clean the complete system. My Canon 1DsMkII, never had any issues ever when I sold it to go MFD. The H4D, is probably better suited for studio and tripod use and very controlled hand held situations, but I find myself wondering about the camera when I need to shoot landscapes that are in remote locations. Perhaps, I will sell my gear in favor of another MFD, one that's more suited for outdoors.

johnnygoesdigital

I wanted to add that Hasselblad has been fantastic in regards to customer service, but when they start to know me by the camera issues instead of my photographs well, then... I should also mention that I recently compared photographs shot with my old Canon 1ds mk II to the H4D. Obviously, there's no comparison, the H4D is stunning and crisp right out of the camera, i've even cropped with an 80mm to look like I used a 200mm zoom and still crisp! It's just that it's not as rugged for my style of shooting, perhaps, they can release a model intended for more "safari" type conditions, utilizing weather sealing and more robust shutter and better software. I do baby my gear and clean often, but when your on top of a frozen waterfall using a tripod in a very awkward vertical position and the camera freezes, well, then you have to release battery return camera to a horizontal, set your bracketing parameters, recompose and cross your fingers that it doesn't freeze again. All this and conditions are well within what Hasselblad states as normal temperature ranges.

Ive had mine out in lots of outside locations without any problems! even some light rain... I wouldn't keep it out in the rain on purpose though, only had a problem once where it came up on screen lens error I was inside the house(think I switched lenses) took battery off and put it back on and hasn't happened since.

fotografz

Almost a year shooting with the H4D/40 ... mostly on location (I use a different MS camera in studio). Not one mis-fire, freeze-up or any other mis-hap. Cold, high heat, etc. all part of the jobs at hand.

Most I can say bad is that the rubber eye piece fell off from stuffing it in a bag space that was too tight. I fixed that myself months ago and it's fine now.

-Marc