The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

BAG Hell

PSon

Initially I bought the ThinkTank Airport Acceleration which soon speed me up with another version, the Airport Addicted. I used these two bags for different occasions similar to the way my wife uses her Louis Vuitton, Marc Jacobs, Christian Dior and Salvatore Ferragamo collections. BTW I also have various tripods and tripod heads and the list goes on... so I understand completely what you are going through.

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Yes Charles I just saw that . Now to decide between the two Tenba's the shootout with laptop or The Gen 3 large
I brought all the gear to PR in the Large bag along with the 17" Macbook.
The equipment list was:
(3) Phase One Backs
(1) Mamiya AFD II Body
80mm Mamiya lens
28mm Mamiya lens
105-210mm Mamiya lens
120mm Mamiya lens
55mm PC Mamiya lens
Horseman SWD Pro
Rodenstock 35mm lens for Horseman
Schneider 24mm lens for Horseman
7 batteries for Phase One Backs
Cables

It held a ton and was easy to handle. Fit well in the overhead of the plane that I was on .

LLance Schad
Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
305-394-3196 cell | 305-534-5702 office
Capture Integration
My Blog
[email protected]

woodyspedden

That backpack looks quite long. I wonder how it will feel on us vertically challenged (e.g. short ) folks? THere is an F.64 extra large backpack that was designed for large format gear as well.
Mark

I am a scant 5' 8" and found the bag to fit perfectly. One of the reasons it looks longer than most is there is a pouch at the bottom of the bag which is about 4" long which holds a super lightweight shell which envelops the backpack in rainy weather. If you look at the length from the top of the bag to the belt harness it is very comparable to many (yes many) other bags I have owned. Also note that Bruce produces two models of the bag........one for normal to long torso and the other for short to normal torso. One of these two should fit virtually everyone although at 6' 6" in may be a bit of a challenge for Jack

The real point of this bag IMO is that the empty weight is so low and only 15% of the weight is borne on the shoulders with the bulk of the remainder on the hip bones and very low back. Add to that the fact that all your carry is safely stowed in the velcro closed pouches and bags so that nothing will fall out of the bag by accident and the lenses and bodies remain relatively dirt free.

This is a simple, but beautifully constructed bag that i find the best i have yet owned. Understand that this is a backpack and not a roller bag so those who need wheels to get through airports etc won't get it done here.

Woody

I will have images on guragear.com in a few weeks, when they come in. In a nutshell, it is less than 4 pounds, converts from a backpack into a carrying bag, allows you to have up to 4 different cameras mounted with lenses, ready to go. Perfect or MF or 35mm gear, or both at the same time. Made from ultralightweight sailcloth material that is used in America's Cup races.

woodyspedden

When your ready Andy post some images here.
Yeah for sure Andy. We would love to see the results.

By the way, you probably won't remember it as vividly as I (after all you are the mentor and I the grasshopper) but about a year ago I came to Mesa Arch to shoot sunrise and you, and two of your own grasshoppers had already absconded the best view points of the arch and were busily shooting your Canon rigs. However you looked at my R9/DMR rig with the 15 3.5 lens mounted and were super helpful to me in getting images that were pretty good if not great. The not great was my choice of lenses and defintitely not your comments as to how to use them. I was way too wide and ended up with too much light from the rising sun with the 15. I should have been shooting about the 28mm or even higher to isolate the light under the arch from the light every where else.

Anyway, I have very fond memories of a helpful morning where you could have been much more isolated from a non-student and more helpful to the other guys paying you for you expertise.

Anyway.........thanks for your help and your more than friendly attitudes. Hope I can be with you for a trip to Africa one of these very first days.

Your friend as a fellow photographer

Woody Spedden
Fort Collins, CO
(970) 231-8110

Woody, great to 'see' you again. And thank you for your very kind words. Mentor? Grasshopper! Shux! Yeah, I had quite the group last year in Moab. I think I am destined to have smaller groups in the future. It will be much easier to manage.