Site Sponsors

Thread: BAG Hell

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BAG Hell

What a nightmare . Okay first off like everyone else i have a closet full and bought more. LOL I think this is the area is when grown men become shoe whores like my lovely wife. I love the girl dearly but she is a shoe whore no question about it and she freely admits it. Well I think we all can take a page from the ladies of this nature and we are bag sluts. I have more bags that i keep tossing into the back of the closet. New system new bags it just seems natural forget the fact you have 10 already they simply are for that other system you just sold. Sound familiar

Well here we go again new system and new bags . Quiet but I bought three. Let's go over this stupid logic i have . First the list

Mamiya AFD with Back
    300 and this is a issue it's big
    Horseman Sd with lens
    Flash and a bunch of crap

Okay bag number one Domke J1 . Well if you take out the rectangle insert and just use the dividers in a half semi circle in the middle i can get the Mamyia lens and back on one side the 300 which is almost 9 inches tall in one of the dividers the 150 in the other in the middle than the horseman standing up on the other side . Cool than put extra lenses on outside padded pockets 35 and 55. Than all the crap. Okay that is the EVERYTHING bag. Heavy bulky and shoulder surgery after 6 months.

Okay Bag number Two . Well most times i don't take everything so now I have a Kata backpack which i really like but it is a daypack called a Dr 465
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ck_Black_.html

Now what I like about this bag is I can get all my lenses in the bottom with accesories except for the 300mm which will not fit down there . So now you have a lost puppy to deal with but the 300mm is not a everyday lens . Now in the top i can simple put my Mamiya , lens and back in the top where your lunch or jacket would go. Not very protected but I don't really need that much protection if it is on my back. Now i can get everything in there except the Horseman and 300mm but if I played my cards right I could carry the 300mm in the top and just hand carry the camera. Following me here because I am getting lost . LOL

Now what to do with the Horseman well i also have a little bag called the Domke F803 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...el_Black_.html that i took that insert from the J1 remember and stuffed that in there. so now I have a separate Horseman bag to either carry or leave in the car but I get all the Horseman stuff in there and I don't always have to have it with me on my body but have a choice to grab it or not and it is a small bag, so no big deal.

Well if have not noticed the 300mm is still in limbo with this rig with Kata and Domke F803. i have another bag that maybe I can get the Horseman and 300mm in there called the J803. Okay at this point I need a shrink to help me.

Now i have another bag coming that may change all of this a Lowepro Dry -Zone Rover that may get returned but want to see what that brings it looks like I maybe able to get the 300mm in there.

It's easier to spend over 20k for the system than buy these stupid bags

So welcome to bag hell
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: BAG Hell

Speaking of Bag Hell, I talked to Ed over at Naneu Pro and he is sending me a set of Lima and Sierra bags for review. When I get the review up I will send to you a link for posting Guy.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Carlos , they have some interesting bags and at a good price also
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been trying to find a compact and easy to carry bag for travel, that would hold a medium format equipment + 17" laptop, to no avail. They are either too big, heavy, cumbersome, or they can't fit the gear. It's frustrating to say the least.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I like these small daypacks the Kata 467 or what I am thinking of getting now is the Tenba Gen3 large day pack. I have the Kata 465 but no provision for the laptop the 467 does. I just throw the Mamiya back and lens in the top section not really padded but I don't need any on my back plus it is not a truck your carrying. But i may order the Tenba for travel

Post Thanks / Like

I have used one of the airport addicted by thinkthank. I bought one of those foam computer cases and I can lay the computer in case on top of the camera gear. I can fit a hassy H3DII-31, 28mm,50-110zoom, 100mm, 210mm, 1.7x, extension tubes and all the accessories including filters.
    I also have a lightware case that i used to carry my view camera, digital bag, lenses, and controller. I am going to sell that one because i no longer have that gear. I believe i could have easily fit a laptop in there on top like i did for the airport addicted.

Quote Originally Posted by Mammy645 View Post
    I've been trying to find a compact and easy to carry bag for travel, that would hold a medium format equipment + 17" laptop, to no avail. They are either too big, heavy, cumbersome, or they can't fit the gear. It's frustrating to say the least.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have the airport addicted too... in fact I liked it so much I bought a second one. Guy, you saw this in San Juan, it's a great bag and meets the carry-on requirements. Mark, this bag has a space for a 17" laptop in the rear. No need to put it on top of the camera gear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes i have a think tank antidote also but the Horseman won't fit unless i lay it down. So with a small daypack i think maybe better for me to just carry the Horseman separate in a small Domke. That way i can take it or leave it home

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mammy645 View Post
    Ha! Maybe it's the size of the gear itself! Time to switch to an M8

I swear by the Tenba Shootout backpacks. They come in mini, small, medium, and large. I have a medium and I've carried a Mamiya 7 w/ two lenses, a Hasselblad SWC, a Quantum flash, and a Turbo battery along with film etc. Fits nicely in overhead. I can easily fit a D3 with a half dozen lenses. They are relatively inexpensive and very well built. Fit my 15" powerbook nicely though not sure about 17" (which may be a big part of your problem).

http://www.tenba.com/c-3-backpacks.aspx

The shootout daypack is new since I bought mine. Looks cool. I find it's usually that extra sweatshirt is the hardest piece of gear to deal with. I also find their styling and colors to be more agreeable than other brands. Good stuff.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That Tenba Shootout looks awesome. I may have to get one of those.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea it does but I need a laptop so may go with the Gen3 large daypack . I looks like it will hold my 300mm too

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Turns out I was looking at the large rolling version...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Yea it does but I need a laptop so may go with the Gen3 large daypack . I looks like it will hold my 300mm too
    The Tenba medium and up will hold a 17." They're quite comfy as well without being overbuilt. I'm not climbing mountains, mostly just going through airports. I really can't say enough good things about this bag. And I'm not a fan of backpacks but as age has crept in they've become an inevitabilty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes Charles I just saw that . Now to decide between the two Tenba's the shootout with laptop or The Gen 3 large

Post Thanks / Like

The think tank bag i have is their security roller bag. I believe when i got mine they only had one model of roller bag. Since it was released there is a newer version but not sure what the difference is. For 40 dollars you can get inserts that are two inches lower and that allows you to place a laptop on top of the camera gear. I have to admit when i travel with this bag, I usually have this roller bag and a brief case with my computer so i am fine. I put the roller bag on the top and the brief case under my seat. Since I fly often, as long as if i am on United, i usually can get an upgrade or if not, I get on the plane first so i have room to store everything. M

Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    I have the airport addicted too... in fact I liked it so much I bought a second one. Guy, you saw this in San Juan, it's a great bag and meets the carry-on requirements. Mark, this bag has a space for a 17" laptop in the rear. No need to put it on top of the camera gear.
    Last edited by mark1958; 6th June 2008 at 12:36.

Post Thanks / Like

One more point, I did not get a back pack which i can add my laptop because as of now my gear is so heavy and worried about pulling my back out.... SO i am sticking with the F.64. I can get most of my medium format gear in there.. I mean the camera, back, 4 lenses (including the large zoom), and accessories. mark

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I should clarify, I need something I can lug around on my back or shoulder for extended periods of time when traveling, not just from the airport to the cab outside. The thinktank rollers look great but would be quite cumbersome to walk around with.

Post Thanks / Like

THe think tank has shoulder belts to wear as a back pack but do not recommend. I think the airport addicted might be a better choice for you. That is the back that has a computer pocket as David pointed out. They make great products.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As long as we're on the subject of bags let me throw out a long shot question. Anyone have an idea about something that could be rolled in the sand. Being in Florida I shoot on the beach a lot and it would be nice to have something with inflatable type tires, like you see on wheelbarrows, for hauling my stuff along the beach. This would be more for battery packs and light stands than for bodies and lenses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I had the opportunity today to meet with Bruce Laughton, the inventor of the bags shown at www.photobackpacker.com. Really nice guy and I tell you that his system is the most innovative I have seen.

When properly adjusted all of the weight is born from the hip edges to the middle of the back. Less than 20% on the shoulders. And the lens bags et. al are extraordinarily light. I wore one around the show (Foto 3) for about 20 minutes with 25 lbs of lead in the bag. Unbelievably comfortably

Bruce is configuring the system for me and i pick mine up tomorrow. i'll let you know more results after i have used it for a while.

Woody

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This will work for sure without the Horseman. Put the camera and back in a wrap in the top portion which is actually quite large. Then all of your lenses on bottom. Laptop in back.....

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...to_Laptop.html

This one is bigger
    http://www.tamrac.com/frame_adv.htm

Here they all are
    http://www.tamrac.com/welcome.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea looking at them as well. Reason i said Bag Hell. Okay off to a Jerry Steinfield concert.

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Perhaps something along this line would suit you well - plenty of room for that system to grow!

Attachment 5257

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy,

To shoot or to enjoy?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Try a Sherpa and a donkey

[In the good old days, the chaps had horses, carts and servants. Don't you have assistants for this sort of thing? ]
    Sláinte

Robert.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That camel reminds me of some bad French Foreign Legionnaire jokes...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That camel reminds me of some bad French Foreign Legionnaire jokes...
    About the Sphinx and the hump of the camel?
    Sláinte

Robert.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmb_ View Post
    Perhaps something along this line would suit you well - plenty of room for that system to grow!

Attachment 5257
    CHARLES - SUCH A FAB WAY TO TRAVEL .......
    Environmentally GREEN :

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Woody,

You will love Bruce's backpack !! I just received mine a few days ago to use with my LF setup and it works extremely well. Carries easily, as advertised, in Yellowstone the last couple of days and I couldn't be happier. The lens cases and the way EVERYTHING velcros together is very nice. I know you will enjoy using it.
    I'm wondering IF he might custom one for a MF setup as well ? I "might" have such a need one of these days !! Let me know if he mentioned anything about MF.

Jim

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

As long as we're on the subject of bags let me throw out a long shot question. Anyone have an idea about something that could be rolled in the sand. Being in Florida I shoot on the beach a lot and it would be nice to have something with inflatable type tires, like you see on wheelbarrows, for hauling my stuff along the beach. This would be more for battery packs and light stands than for bodies and lenses.
    David,

What happened to your MultiCart R12 All-Terrain? It will wheel on sand and grass and hold up to 500 lbs. These are great on location with a lot of gear. Since you already bought one... why not use it?

David
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes Charles I just saw that . Now to decide between the two Tenba's the shootout with laptop or The Gen 3 large
    The new Tenba bags are really nice. The Shootout backpacks have been extremely popular in our store. If you check out the Medium pack on our website you can watch the product video for the backpacks. All of the sizes hold laptops. The hybrid with wheels is a little heavier but has wheels for rolling and backpack straps for when the road gets too rough.

http://www.dalephotoanddigital.com/_...lver_Black.htm

I just checked and realized we don't have all the different sizes listed on our website, but we do carry them all. The Gen3 bags aren't bad, but not as popular, if that helps you out.

David
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dfarkas View Post
    David,

What happened to your MultiCart R12 All-Terrain? It will wheel on sand and grass and hold up to 500 lbs. These are great on location with a lot of gear. Since you already bought one... why not use it?

David
    Forgot I had it Not really... I'll have to take another look at it, it's buried in my garage somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

I used the R12 on the beach not more than a month ago, and it didn't move so well in the sand.
    Here's another possibility I'll have to investigate:
    http://www.wheeleez.com/index.php

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Stone View Post
    Woody,

You will love Bruce's backpack !! I just received mine a few days ago to use with my LF setup and it works extremely well. Carries easily, as advertised, in Yellowstone the last couple of days and I couldn't be happier. The lens cases and the way EVERYTHING velcros together is very nice. I know you will enjoy using it.
    I'm wondering IF he might custom one for a MF setup as well ? I "might" have such a need one of these days !! Let me know if he mentioned anything about MF.

Jim
    Jim

I am picking up my bag today so I will soon know more. However since all of his cases are sized to your needs i don't think it matters regarding MF vs LF. For instance I am putting in the case he designed for LF film holders and using it to hold lens hoods and other accessories.

But the lack of weight in the bag itself and the super innovative suspension is what makes it for me. At 71 years old I need all the help I can get

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody do you have a link to his bags.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very cool concept and actually seen it in Photomark here in town but really big shell. He needs a smaller one

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There's a positive review of the Photobackpacker bags in Luminous Landscape: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...backpack.shtml

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BJNY View Post
    I used the R12 on the beach not more than a month ago, and it didn't move so well in the sand.
    Here's another possibility I'll have to investigate:
    http://www.wheeleez.com/index.php
    Just double checked the wheels on the R12 and it's not going to move thru deep sand with a load on it very well. That Beach Cart on the wheeleez site looks like just the ticket. Thanks for the link.

Post Thanks / Like

That backpack looks quite long. I wonder how it will feel on us vertically challenged (e.g. short ) folks? THere is an F.64 extra large backpack that was designed for large format gear as well.

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    There's a positive review of the Photobackpacker bags in Luminous Landscape: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...backpack.shtml

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Initially I bought the ThinkTank Airport Acceleration which soon speed me up with another version, the Airport Addicted. I used these two bags for different occasions similar to the way my wife uses her Louis Vuitton, Marc Jacobs, Christian Dior and Salvatore Ferragamo collections. BTW I also have various tripods and tripod heads and the list goes on... so I understand completely what you are going through.
    ALPA (MAX, STC, TC) | CAMBO (Actus DB2, WRS-AE) | CONTAX | HASSELBLAD | LEICA | DB (CFV-16, CFV-39, IQ180, IQ360, IQ3100, P45+) | Lens (Canon, Fujinon, Leica, Nikon, Pentax, Rodenstock, Schneider, Zeiss)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I brought all the gear to PR in the Large bag along with the 17" Macbook.
    The equipment list was:
    (3) Phase One Backs
    (1) Mamiya AFD II Body
    80mm Mamiya lens
    28mm Mamiya lens
    105-210mm Mamiya lens
    120mm Mamiya lens
    55mm PC Mamiya lens
    Horseman SWD Pro
    Rodenstock 35mm lens for Horseman
    Schneider 24mm lens for Horseman
    7 batteries for Phase One Backs
    Cables

It held a ton and was easy to handle. Fit well in the overhead of the plane that I was on .

LLance Schad
    Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
    305-394-3196 cell | 305-534-5702 office
    Capture Integration
    My Blog
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Which bag is that Lance it was nice but don't remember the brand or model

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mark1958 View Post
    That backpack looks quite long. I wonder how it will feel on us vertically challenged (e.g. short ) folks? THere is an F.64 extra large backpack that was designed for large format gear as well.
    Mark

I am a scant 5' 8" and found the bag to fit perfectly. One of the reasons it looks longer than most is there is a pouch at the bottom of the bag which is about 4" long which holds a super lightweight shell which envelops the backpack in rainy weather. If you look at the length from the top of the bag to the belt harness it is very comparable to many (yes many) other bags I have owned. Also note that Bruce produces two models of the bag........one for normal to long torso and the other for short to normal torso. One of these two should fit virtually everyone although at 6' 6" in may be a bit of a challenge for Jack

The real point of this bag IMO is that the empty weight is so low and only 15% of the weight is borne on the shoulders with the bulk of the remainder on the hip bones and very low back. Add to that the fact that all your carry is safely stowed in the velcro closed pouches and bags so that nothing will fall out of the bag by accident and the lenses and bodies remain relatively dirt free.

This is a simple, but beautifully constructed bag that i find the best i have yet owned. Understand that this is a backpack and not a roller bag so those who need wheels to get through airports etc won't get it done here.

Woody

Post Thanks / Like

....you can always wait a few weeks and see my new bag that I am bringing to market.....

:-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Like to see that Andy

Post Thanks / Like

I will have images on guragear.com in a few weeks, when they come in. In a nutshell, it is less than 4 pounds, converts from a backpack into a carrying bag, allows you to have up to 4 different cameras mounted with lenses, ready to go. Perfect or MF or 35mm gear, or both at the same time. Made from ultralightweight sailcloth material that is used in America's Cup races.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

When your ready Andy post some images here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

When your ready Andy post some images here.
    Yeah for sure Andy. We would love to see the results.

By the way, you probably won't remember it as vividly as I (after all you are the mentor and I the grasshopper) but about a year ago I came to Mesa Arch to shoot sunrise and you, and two of your own grasshoppers had already absconded the best view points of the arch and were busily shooting your Canon rigs. However you looked at my R9/DMR rig with the 15 3.5 lens mounted and were super helpful to me in getting images that were pretty good if not great. The not great was my choice of lenses and defintitely not your comments as to how to use them. I was way too wide and ended up with too much light from the rising sun with the 15. I should have been shooting about the 28mm or even higher to isolate the light under the arch from the light every where else.

Anyway, I have very fond memories of a helpful morning where you could have been much more isolated from a non-student and more helpful to the other guys paying you for you expertise.

Anyway.........thanks for your help and your more than friendly attitudes. Hope I can be with you for a trip to Africa one of these very first days.

Your friend as a fellow photographer

Woody Spedden
    Fort Collins, CO
    (970) 231-8110

Post Thanks / Like

Woody, great to 'see' you again. And thank you for your very kind words. Mentor? Grasshopper! Shux! Yeah, I had quite the group last year in Moab. I think I am destined to have smaller groups in the future. It will be much easier to manage.