The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What's the deal with the new Phase One AF Macro?

Paul Spinnler

Hi guys!

At Photokina Phase One announced a new macro optic, an autofocus 120 4.0 D macro.

Does anyone know what's the story behind it? I.e., is this a new design or just the old macro with an aufocus mechanic inside?

Is it supposed to have more resolving power?

Thank you very much for any infos in this matter!

Regards

Paul

colinlee

Does anyone have an update on this? I'm looking to get the 120 D Macro but would like to know if the IQ of the AF version is essentially the same as the MF version.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Sorry I don't know much about it - but judging by the resolution of my 120 D, it would be very hard to improve on it!
Bill
+1

I find it hard to believe any rational person could be disappointed by the image quality of the 120D for macro work.

I guess I should throw in my assumption that the rational person doesn't want to go significantly past 1:1 magnification.

If you don't need autofocus (remember it does have focus confirmation, just no autofocus drive) then by all means get the 120D - you won't be disappointed.

If you do need autofocus then it's kind of a moot point. I haven't tested this lens hands-on so I can't tell you if it's an A-, an A, or an A+ lens, but I'm highly confident it will be one of the three because
- macro lenses have been consistently amongst the best performers on every modern medium format camera system
- lenses in the moderate telephoto range are easier to design (well) than most other lenses.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

shlomi

I find it hard to believe any rational person could be disappointed by the image quality of the 120D for macro work.

I guess I should throw in my assumption that the rational person doesn't want to go significantly past 1:1 magnification.
- I've looked for a macro better than 120D and could not find one.
- Single loose diamonds for posters requests are not uncommon and require more than 1:1, also sometimes small parts - why irrational?
- No AF in macro is a big drawback of the 645AFD system, for me worth the upgrade when available.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
- I've looked for a macro better than 120D and could not find one.
- Single loose diamonds for posters requests are not uncommon and require more than 1:1, also sometimes small parts - why irrational?
To be clear I did not mean that shooting past 1:1 is irrational. I did a project at 3:1 - 5:1 and loved doing it. Just that if you're going significantly past 1:1 you're better off with another solution than the 120mm D which ends at 1:1 without extenders (which don't do a lot on a long lens anyway) and is optimized for sharpness only up to 1:1.

If you for instance want 2:1 or 4:1 then you could look at a view camera or the mamiya bellows system or a Cambo X-2 depending on your needs.

You can read about this extreme magnification photography project at our website: Extreme Macro with Medium Format.

No AF in macro is a big drawback of the 645AFD system, for me worth the upgrade when available.
Sounds like for your needs the AF 120mm D Macro will be a big help. For some shooters the autofocus is not as important. Different needs: different gear :).

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

JonMo

I'm new to this forum but I'll add my two bits. :)

In my experience AF is a detriment when trying to set a macro greater than 1:1
I've had many 2:1 go awry by forgetting to shut the AF off. Photographer error, what a joy.

Granted this was using the "evil" format of 35mm FF digital, but I believe the same issues apply. I know using my favorite for 5:1 ( Canon MP-E 65 ) focus rails for multi-shot DOF, I am thankfully to not be fighting an AF for critical focus. And now with live view, no lens vibrations.

However, I could see why one would want AF on the 120, now it can be easily held for regular photography. Seems like a good way to save a little space in the carry bag.

As an aside; I sure miss camera movements. Oh well, guess I better get on that Leaf/ Cambo with Tilt and Swing purchase. :)

Good Grief Doug, I had a hard enough time fighting lighting, DOF and Diffraction with the 35mm set up. That must have been quite the challenge to set up with an MF back! Good thing the fly was kind enough to hold "deathly still" for you. :)

shlomi

I tried Schneider Digitar 120 mounted on a bellows for 2:1-3:1, and found the result no sharper than 120D + rings. The contrast on 120D is much better.
It had not occurred to me to try a reverse Compunon.

Of course, AF is no good for beyond 1:1, but you can't reach 1:1 with any of the AF lenses today AFAIK.

JonMo

I know there are many ways, again in 35mm, using;
100mm macro, 180mm macro, myself using the 300mm with tubes (1:2)
70-200 with tubes (1:1) but I have never run into one using MF.

It will be interesting to see how fine a focus it will acheive.