Site Sponsors

Thread: Abandon hope...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Abandon hope...

The Crusader Knights of St John built a castle at Halicarnassus, modern Bodrum, in Turkey - using material from the original mausoleum.

They had a torture chamber in the castle; and above the entrance to this they had a motto... yes, you guessed: Abandon hope all ye who enter here.

I think I'll stick to small sensors and 35mm
    Sláinte

Robert.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Abandon hope...

Bertie,

That may be a wise decision. I was just peering over the slippery slope a little, when all of sudden Guy, Jack and some other devious souls on this forum shoved me straight to my peril. They were so smooth and skillful in doing so that I didn't have a clue what was happening! It's obvious that they feel better within a group of others plummeting over the edge.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes now way i am jumping alone. I need to land on something besides a rock.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Allyn View Post
    Bertie,

That may be a wise decision. I was just peering over the slippery slope a little, when all of sudden Guy, Jack and some other devious souls on this forum shoved me straight to my peril. They were so smooth and skillful in doing so that I didn't have a clue what was happening! It's obvious that they feel better within a group of others plummeting over the edge.

Groupthink?
    Sláinte

Robert.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

To be sure, misery loves company. But then, so does joy. And speaking form experience, the slippery slope of MF digital has it's share of both...

Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Campbell View Post
    The Crusader Knights of St John built a castle at Halicarnassus, modern Bodrum, in Turkey - using material from the original mausoleum.

They had a torture chamber in the castle; and above the entrance to this they had a motto... yes, you guessed: Abandon hope all ye who enter here.

I think I'll stick to small sensors and 35mm
    Bertie
    You put it so much more eloquently than I would. But my sentiments are just the same . . . not only for financial reasons either.

The great joy of dipping into this forum is that; when one fancies a Zeiss 25 f2.8 . . .well, it's peanuts in comparison with what these guys are spending!

Guy, I'm glad you have some bodies to fall on . . . and even more glad that none of them are mine

P.S. Bertie - you have a new car?

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    P.S. Bertie - you have a new car?
    Only an aspiration, alas!
    Sláinte

Robert.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have to blame my delay in dipping into MF to my own sloth.
    I was happy enough with my D200 until I tried the M8 on a dare.
    I was happy with the M8 in low light until I tried the D8 at a camera shop.
    I was happy with the prints I was producing until I tried a P25 and a P45 in San Juan.
    So my progression has more to do with the ready availability of evidence delivered into my hands.
    I guess if I weren't so lazy, I would have gotten here much faster.
    OTOH I still love my M8 and thanks to DAG there is hope of final qa adjustment of Leica lenses.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

skip the Medium stuff and go straight to the car in Bertie's avatar

Post Thanks / Like

I keep glancing over the crest trying to convince myself 'nah, it's not that steep...', then reason kicks in when I realize what the $$$ could buy in 35mm, then I moronically look at some MFDB shots or the new promos from Hassy or the used gear listed by Son and start wandering up to the crest again.....

Though I do agree as Jonathan says - watching the financial haiku taking place in here does help keep things in perspective.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Though I do agree as Jonathan says - watching the financial haiku taking place in here does help keep things in perspective.
    You mean financial seppuku.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    Good one Carlos

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You know the funny thing is I had more money in both my DMR system when i had it and when I was flush with the M8 system this is actually cheaper. If you can believe that

I should qualify that as separate systems not together. Now you think MF is that scary
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    You know the funny thing is I had more money in both my DMR system when i had it and when I was flush with the M8 system this is actually cheaper. If you can believe that
    But Guy . . . you only started this venture a month ago!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Carlos
    You could be right!

Actually, from my point of of view it isn't finance.
    Clearly I'm a terrible gear whore, but, truth to tell, it's the image which is the driving force for me (really!). I do buy gear because I think it will have a positive impact on my photography.

For the little commercial work I do (some PR, very rare weddings (when there's no escape)) the M8 together with the Nikon dSLR system does a perfectly good job.

Most of my nature and still life photography is reactive, and if I think too hard about it the spirit has gone . . . the landscape is usually at the far end of a long walk which might have started in the rain. It's very rarely deliberate, and thus almost never on a tripod. Of course I would like the extra resolution (holding some hope for the Nikon D3x), but I really don't think that the more deliberate way of shooting inherent in MF would do my photography any favours.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I submit that it isn't all just gear mania.

The rub comes when you actually use the stuff, and dissatisfaction sets in with everything else.

I shoot far more DSLR shots than MFD, wedding work makes sure of that. And between the M8, Nikon D3 & the new lenses, and my Canon 1DsMKIII with some R glass, and L Primes ... one should be more than satisified with IQ ... not

That's the infection. You see those glorious MFD prints (not web uploads) and it sucks you in

I'm with Guy, I want to just shoot MFD and carry a M8 for snapshots. When the H3D-II/31 goes to ISO 1600 it'll come really close to that for me. If they'd get the M8 up to ISO 2500 that's useable, then the D3 could be shelved ... except for that delicious 200/2VR ... uh ... well Hell, get them all ... I didn't want to retire anyway

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post

The rub comes when you actually use the stuff, and dissatisfaction sets in with everything else.

I shoot far more DSLR shots than MFD, wedding work makes sure of that. And between the M8, Nikon D3 & the new lenses, and my Canon 1DsMKIII with some R glass, and L Primes ... one should be more than satisified with IQ ... not

That's the infection. You see those glorious MFD prints (not web uploads) and it sucks you in
    I wasn't suggesting for a minute that it was 'gear mania' what I WAS saying is that whatever fragile fragment of artist I have in me would be compromised by the need to be deliberate and intentional which MF certainly brings.

Mind you, I reserve the right to crack jokes about it all!

I'm with Guy, I want to just shoot MFD and carry a M8 for snapshots. When the H3D-II/31 goes to ISO 1600 it'll come really close to that for me. If they'd get the M8 up to ISO 2500 that's useable, then the D3 could be shelved ... except for that delicious 200/2VR ... uh ... well Hell, get them all ... I didn't want to retire anyway

I quite agree - an M8 with a sensor that behaved like the D3 . . . . . and then, there are moments when one wants an slr . . .

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well and this is the issue even this 22mpx back is just sucking me in like crazy. The files are truly something else . The detail, DR and all the stuff we pushed the M8 and DMR for are even better here. That is the scary part because we all know how much I loved my leica's with color, saturation and it's DR but this is another dimension of that . I am sitting here after a call today to go to Washington and shoot our soldiers coming home from Iraq. Big PR gig and i am really thinking of going primary MF and backed up with my Nikon. This is what i bought this stuff for was to shoot and i am determined to get my money's worth. This can do a excellent ISO 400 and the camera is fast enough and so is the back. Why not, I will test it out and make sure but my feeling is this is my primary camera now.

Post Thanks / Like

That said, the more I see what these entry-level system can deliver with, what in many cases, is modestly-priced glass, I keep thinking I could tolerate being laughed at. Hell, it's been done in the past for far less deserving reasons....
    Last edited by robmac; 5th June 2008 at 18:07.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Marc got that point write on the spot. I was happy with the M8 and D3 using Zeiss primes, until I made the mistake of using MFDB. The images and prints just floored me, and I found the solution that I needed for what I do. This sent me off that steep cliff.