The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My H4D-60 arrived

ptomsu

Workshop Member
@ Woody

Thanks for this heads up!

I really like to hear what your observations are about the H4D60, as this beast might be my next step from my H3D39 too. I am also convinced that more than 60MP will become a real issue for most lenses offered for Hasselblad as well as Phase.

WRT Hasselblad vs Phase - well I must say I agree that both systems should deliver and actually I am convinced they do deliver equally good. What is more the issue in one against the other is personal preferences of handling, haptics, functionality, post processing etc. than the sheer quality of the images.

Finally I am convinced that 60MP are already much more than I need even for demanding landscape photography - kind of the edge to where it makes sense to go!

I am glad to hear your positive report about the 35-90, as this will become one of my favorite lenses.

Thanks

Peter

PS: what happened to your S2 adventure?

dick

Frankly your situation with the H4D40 plus the CF39MS seems to me the best of all worlds. I would have upgraded towards the 40 but the price to upgrade the CF39 towards the 60 was so good it did not make sense to take the 40 for about the same price (I reckon I can always find someone willing to trade his 40 with me :)). The 50MS was much more expensive and did not make sense considering I also have the 39MS.
Hi...
I was thinking of getting a cheap back e.g. 39 as a backup, but I always thought I might have an MS sometime, so, having accumulated Sinar kit for a long time, the idea is that my main studio and landscape back will be a Sinar 86H (48Mpx, MS, with daylight live view) and the H4D-60 will be my back-up system.

The H4D-40 is a better camera than the H4D-60 for hand-held ambient work is it not?

Any comments on the 86H anyone?

Dustbak

I can't say much about the 86H. I only have limited experience with Jenoptik & Sinar backs. What I have seen from the 22MP & 33MP multishot backs looked excellent. I did not like the software much.

At this stage in time I am glad I can use the same software workflow for all my MF equipment. My software experience goes back to the early '80's before DOS (CP/M), I can get anything to work but I just want to be able to focus on other stuff.

Talking about software, one setback with the H4D60 for me is that I cannot import the raw files in Lightroom. I use Lightroom as cataloging (DAM) program. I hope ACR can at least add .3FR support for the 60 in the near future. It would be even better if .FFF can also finally be implemented.

fotografz

I can't say much about the 86H. I only have limited experience with Jenoptik & Sinar backs. What I have seen from the 22MP & 33MP multishot backs looked excellent. I did not like the software much.

At this stage in time I am glad I can use the same software workflow for all my MF equipment. My software experience goes back to the early '80's before DOS (CP/M), I can get anything to work but I just want to be able to focus on other stuff.

Talking about software, one setback with the H4D60 for me is that I cannot import the raw files in Lightroom. I use Lightroom as cataloging (DAM) program. I hope ACR can at least add .3FR support for the 60 in the near future. It would be even better if .FFF can also finally be implemented.
WHAT?

You can't use Lightroom for the H4D/60 files ... why would that be? LR recognizes all other 3FR files. Are you sure of this?

-Marc

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
WHAT?

You can't use Lightroom for the H4D/60 files ... why would that be? LR recognizes all other 3FR files. Are you sure of this?

-Marc
I can confirm this. It presumably takes a bit of time for Adobe to catch up but 60s have been around in some form for almost a year so you would think that Adobe and Hasselblad would have worked it out.

jlm

Workshop Member
Woody:

did hasselblad implement a new (yet still temporary) version of Phocus to specifically handle files from the 60?

Dustbak

Yes, initially a beta was given out to handle files from the 60 however this was not the case anymore with, I believe, 2.5.3. This one is now replaced by 2.5.4.

Dustbak

I am just fiddling around with it in the studio. Testing the turntable, making animated Gif's (kind of like killing flies with a bazooka). The H4D60 is amazingly fast. It easily outpaces my strobes (granted set pretty high). What amazes me more is that after a sequence of 25 shots I turned my head towards the monitor and saw the last one coming in. It is easily faster than my CF39 which was not particularly fast but considering these files are a lot bigger it is quite good!

fotografz

I am just fiddling around with it in the studio. Testing the turntable, making animated Gif's (kind of like killing flies with a bazooka). The H4D60 is amazingly fast. It easily outpaces my strobes (granted set pretty high). What amazes me more is that after a sequence of 25 shots I turned my head towards the monitor and saw the last one coming in. It is easily faster than my CF39 which was not particularly fast but considering these files are a lot bigger it is quite good!
That is very good news! I just upgraded my Graphics card and Phocus now runs much quicker than before.

I made the final decision to go, and just confirmed my H4D/60 trade order with my dealer. Hopefully, delivery will be this year yet for tax reasons, and I can join you guys in posting my impressions. :thumbs:

Thanks for sharing!

-Marc

Dustbak

Congratulations! I am sure you will be really happy with the 60. However if big DoF is important you will have another challenge on your hands :)

Geeez... the larger sensor makes it even more difficult.

Must be fantastic for my portrait work (which I got it for in the first place BTW). There simply is no DoF, just a slice of sharpness that doesn't seem to realize their ought to be a difference between f2.2 or f11.

fotografz

Congratulations! I am sure you will be really happy with the 60. However if big DoF is important you will have another challenge on your hands :)

Must be fantastic for my portrait work (which I got it for in the first place BTW). There simply is no DoF, just a slice of sharpness that doesn't seem to realize their ought to be a difference between f2.2 or f11.
HTS/1.5 ;)

dick

I think f16 is the best compromise for portraiture, and I think it is best to focus on the neck and re-compose so that the face is slightly soft and the hair is sharp... with a split image I focused on the ears!

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Marc - One of the knocks on the tech camera solution to getting resolution out of these backs is that it's really hard to focus to digital standards on a ground glass - at least in part because of the ground glass's "grain".

Well here I am working with with the HTS 1.5 and the 60 and I find myself focusing . . . on a ground glass. Examination of the files tells me that I often miss by just a little bit.

Any suggestions on how to get better results?

Thanks.

Dustbak

I would love to know as well. I found I had to examine what I was doing and how I missed when I missed. I found out that at short distances (table top) I consistantly focussed a bit too far. I actually had to put focus somewhere before where I thought it was (the viewfinder would become even a bit more fuzzy) to get it exactly where I wanted it to be.

Quite frustrating to get it right by experience and not being able to trust upon the viewfinder.

I have not yet done it with the 60. Maybe the experience will be better.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
don't recall, but doesn't hasselblad have a focus calibration function?
Yes - when shooting tethered with live view there is a focus assist feature that works quite well (i know this from my 39 days). I don't know whether it works with the HTS 1.5. I generally don't shoot tethered - but this may be the solution that people working in studios use. But not on the 60 right now because live view is one of the yet-to-be delivered features. Live view (at least as it was implemented on the h3d 39) has some serious limitations - it can't be used in daylight without a lot of of ND filter.

jlm

Workshop Member
i was thinking more of some function that let you re-calibrate and re-set the perceived focus in viewfinder compared to the actual focus