The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My H4D-60 arrived

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
So Guy - is that enough images for you?
Na bud . keep them coming. LOL

They are looking very sweet though have to say. Pretty much exactly what I expected from the 60 mpx wonders. Honestly if i did not choice Phase i would have gone Hassy no question. End of day they are both rock solid performers.

Interesting my web site went down due to the host going out of business and I am going through my life of images to rebuild my site( actually don't feel bad this is really a good thing it needed to be replaced badly). It is quite interesting to see my gear transformation with regards to image quality on my images over the years. No question I can SEE the differences . I know folks say show me proof all the time , frankly you would have to be blind not to see it. MF images just rock the house. I'm one of those if your in your golden regardless who's name is on the top plate.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Looking good Woody! Given you are looking at the files on a calibrated system before posting them to web, can you comment on the less tangible attributes like color, tonality and smoothness?
This will actually take some time and experience with the files. The one thing that I'm certain of is that the files are less forgiving of overexposure than the h3d-39 files were. The h3d was exceptional in this respect; the h4d-60 files are more along the lines of what you would expect in that respect.

cbserota

Woody-could you recommend a Hasselblad dealer? I am considering the purchase of a similar system, and live on Long Island. When you print, what is the size of an uncropped picture(in inches-length X width) from the H4D-60 that is not upsized? Thanks---Charley

rem

Woody, thanks to post all the pictures and infos, but I'm really like so much your dining room view! Great;-)

About the L-Plate... every time i handle my h4d-40 with the l-plat as a handgrip, why they took a "small" screw and not the "bigger" one? (174-3/8)... glg, rem

dick

When you print, what is the size of an uncropped picture(in inches-length X width) from the H4D-60 that is not upsized? Thanks---Charley
At 360 original camera pixels per print inch it is about 18" * 24, which is handy if you have a 24" printer,

For 360 OCPPPI, 24.8 * 18.6

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
So I've actually gotten to work on some landscape with this thing. These from yesterday, at the front edge of the blizzard that is passing through here. H4d-60 with HTS 150 and HC 100 lens. These images are actually in color as it came out of the camera - all of the color was frozen out of the landscape! The first is at near maximum shift and tilt to get the vignetting and the skinny focus plane. I took 5 shots bracketing focus which is my current solution to the HTS focus issue. The second was shifted to frame, from a level set up.

dick

At 360 original camera pixels per print inch it is about 18" * 24, which is handy if you have a 24" printer,

For 360 OCPPPI, 24.8 * 18.6

...and for 36, 240, and 180 OCPPPI, the 8956 and 6708 pixel dimensions equate to (inch print dimensions):

Code:
[B][FONT=Courier New]pixels      360       240         180
8956         24.87     37.31       49.75
6708         18.63     27.95       37.26[/FONT][/B]

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
More blizzard. The snow stopped, it cleared but the very high winds continued. It was very cold. Given the conditions I used my car (a beanbag over a half opened window) as a tripod. H4D-60 + HC 150; f45 at about 1/10 sec. I'm finding that a key appeal of this camera is not the high resolution, but the subtle rendering of color and light and dark, and again the flexible files.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Woody-could you recommend a Hasselblad dealer? I am considering the purchase of a similar system, and live on Long Island. When you print, what is the size of an uncropped picture(in inches-length X width) from the H4D-60 that is not upsized? Thanks---Charley
I've been dealing with Foto Care in NY. At least for a local they provide good support. Here's a link: fotocare

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Amazing. I used the mirror delay of 100 on my H4D40, but then I use the tripod 90% of the time. Maybe I should loosen up a bit. Do you ever use the mirror-up handheld? Thanks for posting these, Woody. It will help me quite a bit as I begin to learn the contours of mine.
I do use the mirror up handheld. I've set the index finger button as mirror up (it may actually be the default - I don't have the camera with me as I write this) and use it if there isn't anything moving.

By the way I'm very skeptical of people's claims about handholding their cameras - online you get posts of a cat with razor sharp whiskers handheld at 1/20, but he poster doesn't show you the 10 missses. The handholdability of the Hasselblad really surprises me - the "rule of thumb" successes are generally repeatable.

pipzz

More blizzard. The snow stopped, it cleared but the very high winds continued. It was very cold. Given the conditions I used my car (a beanbag over a half opened window) as a tripod. H4D-60 + HC 150; f45 at about 1/10 sec. I'm finding that a key appeal of this camera is not the high resolution, but the subtle rendering of color and light and dark, and again the flexible files.

A lot of black dust spots on the sensor, or I missed something?:confused:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The subtile colors drawn by the H4D60 are really marvelous, even when looking to the results on web images.

Great camera! Thanks for sharing! Enjoy!

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
A lot of black dust spots on the sensor, or I missed something?:confused:
Some dust spots. some flying debris. I'm away from my NY home base and don't have my sensor cleaning kit with me - I'm reluctant to clean it without the right stuff on hand because that usually just makes it worse. At f/45 everything on the sensor shows so the camera arrived from Hasselblad with a fair amount of dust on the sensor, which not a surprise.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Woody this is a Dalsa sensor correct. Reason I ask I see a lot of subtle tones in these images which look very nice.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
By the way the Boxing Day Blizzard was the first time that I've used a Hasselblad in truly bad weather. Temperatures in the teens. 40 mph winds drove freezing snow at people people and gear. Both days I went out with a plastic garbage bag and a towel. Didn't make much use of the former. The camera got wet, then frozen. The lens shade was frozen on to the HC 100. All of the controls worked fine for the hour or so that I was out there each day and the camera handles well with light gloves. I didn't try to change lenses. True focus got wonky a couple of times so I switched to normal autofocus and it worked fine. I suspect that True focus uses a bit of additional power and the frozen battery couldn't keep up. Once thawed out it returned to normal. I used the usual precautions when I returned to the house (blowing the snow off, drying the camera and then bagging it until it reached room temperature to avoid condensation).

fotografz

What can we report to demonstrate the differences?

Are you talking about H3D11-50 v H4D-60 or do you have an H4D-50?

The H4 features like the true focus are also on the H4D-40.

Pixel-res should be similar, as the pixel pitch is the same.

¿I think some people might be interested in the difference between the 40 and the 60 at high ISO?

I am sure there might be someone out there with a 40 for hand-held and a 60 for tripod/view camera work?
My H4D60 has been delayed until first or second week of Jan., due to holiday and shipping delays (winter storms Eastern USA).

I also have the H4D/40.

So as soon as I get the 60 I'll post impressions about both.

A few expectations:.

The 40 will perform better at higher ISOs when similar sized crops are compared. However, the 60 will require less enlargement for any given print size.

The 40 can shoot longer exposures than the 60, and can shoot faster.

Even though the pixel pitch is the same, the main difference I'm interested in is Kodak verse Dalsa sensors .... and rendering people images, since that is what I mostly shoot.

-Marc

fotografz

By the way the Boxing Day Blizzard was the first time that I've used a Hasselblad in truly bad weather. Temperatures in the teens. 40 mph winds drove freezing snow at people people and gear. Both days I went out with a plastic garbage bag and a towel. Didn't make much use of the former. The camera got wet, then frozen. The lens shade was frozen on to the HC 100. All of the controls worked fine for the hour or so that I was out there each day and the camera handles well with light gloves. I didn't try to change lenses. True focus got wonky a couple of times so I switched to normal autofocus and it worked fine. I suspect that True focus uses a bit of additional power and the frozen battery couldn't keep up. Once thawed out it returned to normal. I used the usual precautions when I returned to the house (blowing the snow off, drying the camera and then bagging it until it reached room temperature to avoid condensation).
Define "Wonky" please. I want to be aware.

At least the camera worked in frigid weather :thumbup:

-Marc