The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My H4D-60 arrived

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
My H4D60 has been delayed until first or second week of Jan., due to holiday and shipping delays (winter storms Eastern USA).

I also have the H4D/40.

So as soon as I get the 60 I'll post impressions about both.

A few expectations:.

The 40 will perform better at higher ISOs when similar sized crops are compared. However, the 60 will require less enlargement for any given print size.

The 40 can shoot longer exposures than the 60, and can shoot faster.

Even though the pixel pitch is the same, the main difference I'm interested in is Kodak verse Dalsa sensors .... and rendering people images, since that is what I mostly shoot.

-Marc
This will be interesting - particularly the skin tones and the ISO vs. size issue. Also interesting to see if the micro lens are more prone to artifacts working very wide.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
As i've been reviewing images I've noticed a blessed freedom from purple fringing.

That was an aside. Here's another HTS 1.5 shot, this with the HCD 28. f/11; max tilt and then shift to move the in focus area toward the center of the frame. This was my blog post for December 29. I focused using focus check in the lcd. This works fine when you're using tilt to limit the in-focus area; it's a pretty tedious way to work if you're using tilt to extend the in-focus area.

I've included a crop from the front edge. Once again this isn't a tech camera.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Four handheld frames stitched and cropped to 2x3. H4d-60 + HC 100. Pixel dimensions are 8,673 x 13,512 for the cropped image. Processing these monster files has brought the iMac that I use in CT to its knees. I've got more processing power in NY so I'll revisit all of these images when I get there tomorrow.

fotografz

Stopped working altogether. Camera reverted to manual mode. Focus indicators worked.
Hey Woody ... Hassey is supposed to be working on an exterior power source that plugs into a port that is allegedly already on the 60 back.

I know that exterior power really does work ... I had to shoot a job outdoors in similar nasty weather for hours, and used the Image Bank-II to power the back as well as store the images. So the grip battery was relieved of that power intense task. I had the little IB-II with its Lithium Cam-corder battery warm and snug inside my coat, and ran the FW-800 cord down my sleeve so I could plug and unplug it at will. :thumbs:

- Marc

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Hey Woody ... Hassey is supposed to be working on an exterior power source that plugs into a port that is allegedly already on the 60 back.

I know that exterior power really does work ... I had to shoot a job outdoors in similar nasty weather for hours, and used the Image Bank-II to power the back as well as store the images. So the grip battery was relieved of that power intense task. I had the little IB-II with its Lithium Cam-corder battery warm and snug inside my coat, and ran the FW-800 cord down my sleeve so I could plug and unplug it at will. :thumbs:

- Marc
Interesting. I've got an IB-II stored away. I'll dig it out. Thanks.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
So here's another stitch: This is five frames handheld with the HC 150. Pixel dimensions are 8500x22000. I've also included a crop - the cropped area is dead center just below the cloud.

Reviewing these files in Phocus I noted some purple fringing and some color moire in the fine detail (similar to the fire escape in Sarabeth's above). I don't see these artifacts in the processed tiffs. Good job Phocus! As I've noted in the past Phocus does a great job of basic blocking and tackling - demosaicing, noise supression, sharpening (this is at ISO 400), lens correction, and elimination of fringing and moires, and of course the good out-of-the=box color.

And the crop:

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
The H4D-60 files convert to B&W beautifully. They are rich and deep - some of the most silver halide like files that I've ever produced digitally. In working with these images I've refined my assessment of the ability to recover detail from the high values - there actually is the ability to recover some detail (perhaps a stop or so). (The snow in the lower left of the first image looked blown out but I was able to find some detail in with a local adjustment.)

Grayscale conversions done in LR - the grayscale tool in Phocus is a fairly blunt instrument - not very useful. These are shot with the HC 150, which with a .6 conversion factor is equivalent to a 90mm, for me a useful focal length. It's a stellar performer and not being an HCD it obviously takes advantage of the whole 60 meg frame. My sense is that for the HC 100 and the HC 150 performance it quite close to digitar standards. I'm very interested in the HC 55 II.

Some manual spotting on these. I've finally returned to NY so I've cleaned the sensor and processed these big files.

Despite the puffy clouds and blue sky this was cold (20 degrees F or so) and I had the recurring issue of autofocus stopping (it let me manual focus). Restarting the camera helped. I have batteries that by now are several years old. I'll try this with my newest battery to see if it works. Of course I'll also drag my IB-II out of storage.

Last edited:

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
One more grayscale. I know that many of you would prefer this in color to demonstrate skin tones, but I'll leave that to others who are better qualified than I am. This is the HC 100 at f/2.2. The focus is on Francesca's eyes - true focus worked as expected - Jeremy is slightly behind and Virgil (the boxer) is well in front. North light screened with a scrim jim. ISO 400 and cropped to 22 m or so - the dog ran into the frame while shooting a more conventional head shot.

It would help me if the focus box on the focusing screen were smaller - so I could see more precisely what I'm getting.

I had a lock up in this session. There was a back error - I didn't make note of the error message. Restarting didn't help. I removed and replaced the back and it came back to life. Ir probably would have been sufficient to remove and replace the battery. No files lost. I'm using a 64 G Transend 400x card. This was my first lockup in perhaps a thousand actuations. Why does this only happen when people are waiting?

My sense is that this camera's firmware is a work in progress - I'm looking forward to the promised firmware update.

Last edited:

Dustbak

Do you use the TF button to focus? It seems there is a bug making the camera hang when it is asleep and the first button you press is the TF button.

For the time being you need to give the release button a short press to get the camera to respond before using the TF buttonn.

I have the AF taken off the release button (manual focus) and use the TF button for focus. This situation is totally repeatable when shooting tethered. I have not yet tried when using CF cards.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Do you use the TF button to focus? It seems there is a bug making the camera hang when it is asleep and the first button you press is the TF button.

For the time being you need to give the release button a short press to get the camera to respond before using the TF buttonn.

I have the AF taken off the release button (manual focus) and use the TF button for focus. This situation is totally repeatable when shooting tethered. I have not yet tried when using CF cards.

Thanks - I'm set up exactly the way you are. This could be the issue - I'll try to repeat it.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member

- Marc
The sync in and out ports have moved (relative to my h3d-39) to the bottom of the back under a small rubber cover. There is is DC in connection between them.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
I thought I'd give focus bracketing a try with the huge files that this thing generates. It turns out that this is actually easier that messing with tilts - as long as nothing moves. This was taken with the HC 150 at f/8.0. It's 7 exposures focusing from near (the front of the tea chest) to far (the speaker grill). It was quite easy to move focus back manually. Frames stacked in Helicon Focus using method A. No artifacts, no problems. Processing time in HC was a minute or so. The moire on the lampshade is actually not an artifact - results from the interaction of screens in front of the window that illuminates the image.

cbserota

Woody-just picked up my H4D-60 in Manhatten yesterday.I was planning on ordering the HCD 35-90 zoom.You have described it favorably in your posts. The Hass catelogue describes it as "the highest performing zoom lens on the market today." After printing out the manual( for $40,000 for the body, Hass won"t give you a printed one) I learn that the HCD lenses "were formulated for use with the smaller size sensors in the H series, resulting in reduced coverage for the larger sensors used in the 60 Mpx models.--be aware of vivnetting and diminished quality at the edges."I'm thinking I should just stick with the HC lenses. Would appreciate your feedback.---Thanks---Charley

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Woody-just picked up my H4D-60 in Manhatten yesterday.I was planning on ordering the HCD 35-90 zoom.You have described it favorably in your posts. The Hass catelogue describes it as "the highest performing zoom lens on the market today." After printing out the manual( for $40,000 for the body, Hass won"t give you a printed one) I learn that the HCD lenses "were formulated for use with the smaller size sensors in the H series, resulting in reduced coverage for the larger sensors used in the 60 Mpx models.--be aware of vivnetting and diminished quality at the edges."I'm thinking I should just stick with the HC lenses. Would appreciate your feedback.---Thanks---Charley
Charley - If you page back in this thread to post # 18 or so and read forward I think you'll find you answer. I'm very happy with it, but do find myself reaching for non-HCD primes more than I used to.

Professional

I still feel sad as i am waiting my 60 to come back from the repair, a technician in our local dealer told me that it is already received by Hasselblad there, but they didn't send any quotation, and he told me that it may take 10 days, i can't wait to hold my Hassy again.

My dad passed away, so i was busy last 2 weeks [he passed away on Mon 27th before the new year], and i am waiting the wealth, i am thinking of HTS and 35-90 as top priority to buy for Hasselblad.

BANKER1

The crop also bothered me when I considered the purchase of the 35-90. However, it renders 54 mega pixels so it is not a huge loss, and it can be recovered in Phocus if wanted. The quality of the optics in conjunction with the utility of a zoom convinced me to order the lens, and I am awaiting its arrival. It is in such demand that there is a backlog of that lens as well as others in their lineup.

Of course I started out with the 80, ordered the 35, then later the 150 and the 100 when I ordered the H4D60. Would love to have the HTS, but the limited use of that piece of equipment does not make sense for me.

Greg

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
I've found the limit on handholding. I went out yesterday with the HC 300 and no tripod. There was about five stops of overcast. The HC 300 is seriously difficult to handhold - mainly because of its weight - I shake very slightly holding it up to eye level. Same issue as shooting offhand. Keepers percentage was about 30%. Not nearly good enough. Here's one of the successes. It's two frames stitched in Photoshop. The finished .psd file is about 530 megs. This would have been a better image on a tripod - I could have stopped down to bring the background into focus, or perhaps done some focus bracketing and stacking. I've included a crop. The HC 300 stands up to the demands of 60 megs very well.

By the way twice when I pressed the shutter release the mirror went up, stayed there for a long time, and then came back, with an error message asking me to remount the lens. I've checked the contacts and they are clean. I'll try to replicate this today.

The crop.

jlm

Workshop Member
Woody:

thought about you today, I finally got some shooting in with the 35-90 out in the Yard. Moabian conditions, about 25 degrees, windy and clear. will post something later