Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My H4D-60 arrived

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My H4D-60 arrived

I'll be reporting on it over the next week or so. It's clearly going to demand a real effort to get it to perform up to its potential. If there are any issues that anyone would like me to look at reply to this thread. I'll be exploring 50 vs 60 megs with the HCD lenses (two of my favorite lenses ever), and long exposures.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My H4D-60 arrived

Please do report! Are they now shipping with the higher res screen or is that still in the firmware updates?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Campbell View Post
    I'll be reporting on it over the next week or so. It's clearly going to demand a real effort to get it to perform up to its potential. If there are any issues that anyone would like me to look at reply to this thread. I'll be exploring 50 vs 60 megs with the HCD lenses (two of my favorite lenses ever), and long exposures.
    What can we report to demonstrate the differences?

Are you talking about H3D11-50 v H4D-60 or do you have an H4D-50?

The H4 features like the true focus are also on the H4D-40.

Pixel-res should be similar, as the pixel pitch is the same.

I think some people might be interested in the difference between the 40 and the 60 at high ISO?

I am sure there might be someone out there with a 40 for hand-held and a 60 for tripod/view camera work?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by symbolphoto View Post
    Please do report! Are they now shipping with the higher res screen or is that still in the firmware updates?
    Live view and hi res screen are still being retrofitted via firmware update, which is promised by the end of 2010, which is kind of like now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dick View Post
    What can we report to demonstrate the differences?

Are you talking about H3D11-50 v H4D-60 or do you have an H4D-50?

The H4 features like the true focus are also on the H4D-40.

Pixel-res should be similar, as the pixel pitch is the same.

I think some people might be interested in the difference between the 40 and the 60 at high ISO?

I am sure there might be someone out there with a 40 for hand-held and a 60 for tripod/view camera work?
    If there is anyone in NYC with an H4D-40 PM me. I'd be happy to shoot side-by-side so we can make the comparison.

I plan on spending some time with the 50 vs 60 issue for HCD lenses. The HCD lenses are two of my favorites.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

should be close to a 0 crop factor; be interesting to see the HC28, pretty sure you have one, eh?!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congrats Woody! Looking forward to seeing your images.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cool . waiting on images Woody.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

yes go woody go!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congrats, you will love this camera (i hope)!!!
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Professional View Post
    Congrats, you will love this camera (i hope)!!!
    This is going to take me a few more days, at least. There's a lot to get my arms around with this thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is going to take me a few more days, at least. There's a lot to get my arms around with this thing.
    Good, take your time, no rush!!!
    Tareq

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Professional View Post
    Good, take your time, no rush!!!
    Baloney! Share NOW!

I have to make a decision by tomorrow AM as to getting the H4D/60 ... my que time is here!

Just impressions will do ... pretty please.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

What do you want to know? I have mine for a couple of days now. A bit early to make bold statements but generally I am quite happy with it.

What do you plan to replace with the H4D60?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

waiting impatiently for your review Woody...
    -bob

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dustbak View Post
    What do you want to know? I have mine for a couple of days now. A bit early to make bold statements but generally I am quite happy with it.

What do you plan to replace with the H4D60?
    Many thanks for any help you can provide!

The decision is down to trading in the CF/39 MS back plus an old Mamiya RZ body for the H4D/60. I'd still have a H2F camera and H adapter for any CF/CF-II back ... plus 3 film backs ... that I can sell separately. I also still have an H4D/40.

Some of my shooting needs in studio have changed and I'm curious whether the 60 gets at least close to the 39MS in rendering detail and tonal gradations for table-top work. The up-side of the 60 is newer H4D technology, newer sensor technologies, fuller use of the wider lenses like the 28, 35, and 50 when using the HTS/1.5 (and the 28HCD or 35-90HCD straight on-camera with a minor trim), and utilization of the higher resolution single-shot for location work where motion may be present ... which is a growing part of potential business for me.

The second alternative is trading for a H4D/50MS ... which is roughly $4K more when trading. The 200 meg micro-step technology for the 50MS that's in development gave me pause over the 60 ... but that is speculation, and adds an unknown cost ... I'm sure it won't be cheap.

The 3rd alternative is do nothing ... however, the trade deal from so many months ago was pretty good, and makes the move less painful.

Mostly, I'd be very interested in seeing or hearing impressions of the H4D/60 used with studio strobes, and also used on location is decent lighting. The H4D/40 covers any higher ISO, longer exposures or faster shooting situations ... so it's more about pure data capture at base ISO or maybe one ISO up when DOF is needed.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

I get you. I also use a CF39MS with H2F. I got the H4D60 by trading in a CF39. You basically want to know whether 60MP will be enough to replace the multishot functionality of the 39MS I guess?

I still have the 39MS. If I would not, I would have upgrade towards a 50MS. I was kind of in the same boat as you.

Frankly your situation with the H4D40 plus the CF39MS seems to me the best of all worlds. I would have upgraded towards the 40 but the price to upgrade the CF39 towards the 60 was so good it did not make sense to take the 40 for about the same price (I reckon I can always find someone willing to trade his 40 with me ). The 50MS was much more expensive and did not make sense considering I also have the 39MS. The 200MP shot seemed good but realize you cannot take a single shot to blend it meaning you really need to shoot something without any moving stuff.

Files from the 60 are noticeably bigger than the ones from the CF39. It definitely takes my fast machine more time.

I will keep you posted.
    Last edited by Dustbak; 12th December 2010 at 07:31.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ok. Some impressions.

The files are sensational. Deep and pliable. They absorb endless abuse in post and come out smiling. (For example when I do grayscale conversions sometimes I push the blue slider to the left to darken the sky polarizer-like; if you overdo it the sky turns grainy and white fringes appear where the sky meets whatever; pushing the slider all the way to the left resulted in no fringing and only slight noise with the 60 - and almost totally black skies.) Not that you have to push the files around a lot. I liked the color straight out of my H3D 39. The look is pretty much the same with the h4D 60 and I still like it. I could go on and on about the files and will at some point. This is why we bother with MF.

I test lenses by shooting out of our dining room window in NY. There are about a billion bricks in the scene - all on parallel walls because of the city's grid. It's clear from brickwall testing that at infinity the back oversamples the Hasselblad lenses. I own them all, except nothing in the 35 to 90 range except the zoom and I don't own the 50-110 (kind of redundant for me), the macro or the 210. I've now tested all that I own. In general terms wide open the last 3 or 4mm of image toward the edges exhibit a bit of that oatmeal-like brand of fuzziness. I shoot bookcases as a torture test at closer distances. The outer zones of images generally looked good to perfect in the 4 - 10 feet range, suggesting how these lenses are optimized (or suggesting that the bookcase test is defective). Obviously no CA, linear distortion, etc. - these are all taken care of in Phocus.

A couple of thoughts on the foregoing. I believe that all MF systems have roughly the same issue in terms of the imager oversampling the lenses. Otherwise people wouldn't go to all the trouble that it takes to put a digitar in front of one of these backs. One conclusion from the foregoing is that I won't pay anything, not a single dollar, to trade up to 80 megs.

Now, on the 50 vs. 60 issue. This is important to me because the HCD lenses are my favorites. Phocus lets you convert without cropping. That last 5mm is indeed pretty funky. It's more evident on the left and right (in landscape orientation) - obviously because that's further out in the image circle. If your crop to a 4 x 5 aspect ratio you get rid of the funky parts with far less pixel waste than trimming off the entire outer 5mm. I actually like 4x5 but haven't used it much in the past because of pixel waste issues - I'll use it much more in the future.

More importantly for me is that I often crop a bit in post, and very often apply perspective controls in post. This means that I throw the funky region of the image away anyway.

On high ISO - I haven't done a lot of this. 800 looks fine at short exposure times. At 4 seconds iso 800 looks like hell. I haven't explored where the margin is or what the alternatives are.

I've worked at bit with the HTS 1.5 and the new camera. Since the 60meg sensor reaches the edge of the good part of the image circle (or beyond) there's not much room to shift. On tilt, the issue is focus. It's hard for our technical camera friends to achieve focus on a ground glass that's accurate enough for these demanding backs; the same applies to using the HTS 1.5. I need to work on this a bit - I really do like having tilt capacity.

In actual use this camera is a dream. It's been observed before that these systems outperform their brick wall tests in actual use - that's true in spades with the H4D 60. I don't know why this is. Perhaps because you achieve accurate focus in a large percentage of images; because the lenses have really good micro contrast and flare control; or because oversampling the lenses produces a natural, non-digital look. I don't really know why, but it's there. I've had no issues shooting the 35-90 wide open. The larger sensor doesn't change how this camera works handheld - it works very well.

I now have a week's experience walking around with this camera, generally with the 35-90 which is amazingly flexible and produces terrific images in actual use, shooting iso 100 or 200. I'm delighted with what I'm getting from it. This is fairly deep water - the benefits of file size are subtle but evident - it's really going to take a lot more time to fully come to grips with what's possible.

There are some minor issues with firmware that come into play if you reassign button functions. Hasselblad has been very good about updates so this doesn't concern me.

A final note. This whole Hasselbad vs. Phase thing is crap. In the same way that the Nikon vs. Canon thing is crap. I've owned both Nikon and Canon systems and they are both excellent and about evenly matched in strengths and weaknesses. I'm certain that that's the case in Hasselblad vs. Phase.

I'll update this with images and more mature reactions when I get the chance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Many thanks for any help you can provide!

The decision is down to trading in the CF/39 MS back plus an old Mamiya RZ body for the H4D/60. I'd still have a H2F camera and H adapter for any CF/CF-II back ... plus 3 film backs ... that I can sell separately. I also still have an H4D/40.

Some of my shooting needs in studio have changed and I'm curious whether the 60 gets at least close to the 39MS in rendering detail and tonal gradations for table-top work. The up-side of the 60 is newer H4D technology, newer sensor technologies, fuller use of the wider lenses like the 28, 35, and 50 when using the HTS/1.5 (and the 28HCD or 35-90HCD straight on-camera with a minor trim), and utilization of the higher resolution single-shot for location work where motion may be present ... which is a growing part of potential business for me.

The second alternative is trading for a H4D/50MS ... which is roughly $4K more when trading. The 200 meg micro-step technology for the 50MS that's in development gave me pause over the 60 ... but that is speculation, and adds an unknown cost ... I'm sure it won't be cheap.

The 3rd alternative is do nothing ... however, the trade deal from so many months ago was pretty good, and makes the move less painful.

Mostly, I'd be very interested in seeing or hearing impressions of the H4D/60 used with studio strobes, and also used on location is decent lighting. The H4D/40 covers any higher ISO, longer exposures or faster shooting situations ... so it's more about pure data capture at base ISO or maybe one ISO up when DOF is needed.

-Marc
    I can't comment on your specific issue except to refer to my good daylight experience. On the lenses, at the center 2/3ds of the image circle they are probably not oversampled by the 60 so it may be possible to squeeze a bit more resolution out using MS, and of course MS gets rid of issues induced by Bayer interpolation (but Phocus does a real good job on these anyway). I'm primarily a landscape shooter so MS is not in play for me. With the 50 MS the MS performance increment is across the frame in the good part of the image circle so it may make more sense for your applications - what the 60 is doing is adding pixels at the edge of the image circle.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you both.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

@ Woody

Thanks for this heads up!

I really like to hear what your observations are about the H4D60, as this beast might be my next step from my H3D39 too. I am also convinced that more than 60MP will become a real issue for most lenses offered for Hasselblad as well as Phase.

WRT Hasselblad vs Phase - well I must say I agree that both systems should deliver and actually I am convinced they do deliver equally good. What is more the issue in one against the other is personal preferences of handling, haptics, functionality, post processing etc. than the sheer quality of the images.

Finally I am convinced that 60MP are already much more than I need even for demanding landscape photography - kind of the edge to where it makes sense to go!

I am glad to hear your positive report about the 35-90, as this will become one of my favorite lenses.

Thanks

Peter

PS: what happened to your S2 adventure?

Post Thanks / Like

Frankly your situation with the H4D40 plus the CF39MS seems to me the best of all worlds. I would have upgraded towards the 40 but the price to upgrade the CF39 towards the 60 was so good it did not make sense to take the 40 for about the same price (I reckon I can always find someone willing to trade his 40 with me ). The 50MS was much more expensive and did not make sense considering I also have the 39MS.
    Hi...
    I was thinking of getting a cheap back e.g. 39 as a backup, but I always thought I might have an MS sometime, so, having accumulated Sinar kit for a long time, the idea is that my main studio and landscape back will be a Sinar 86H (48Mpx, MS, with daylight live view) and the H4D-60 will be my back-up system.

The H4D-40 is a better camera than the H4D-60 for hand-held ambient work is it not?

Any comments on the 86H anyone?

Post Thanks / Like

I can't say much about the 86H. I only have limited experience with Jenoptik & Sinar backs. What I have seen from the 22MP & 33MP multishot backs looked excellent. I did not like the software much.

At this stage in time I am glad I can use the same software workflow for all my MF equipment. My software experience goes back to the early '80's before DOS (CP/M), I can get anything to work but I just want to be able to focus on other stuff.

Talking about software, one setback with the H4D60 for me is that I cannot import the raw files in Lightroom. I use Lightroom as cataloging (DAM) program. I hope ACR can at least add .3FR support for the 60 in the near future. It would be even better if .FFF can also finally be implemented.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I can't say much about the 86H. I only have limited experience with Jenoptik & Sinar backs. What I have seen from the 22MP & 33MP multishot backs looked excellent. I did not like the software much.

At this stage in time I am glad I can use the same software workflow for all my MF equipment. My software experience goes back to the early '80's before DOS (CP/M), I can get anything to work but I just want to be able to focus on other stuff.

Talking about software, one setback with the H4D60 for me is that I cannot import the raw files in Lightroom. I use Lightroom as cataloging (DAM) program. I hope ACR can at least add .3FR support for the 60 in the near future. It would be even better if .FFF can also finally be implemented.
    WHAT?

You can't use Lightroom for the H4D/60 files ... why would that be? LR recognizes all other 3FR files. Are you sure of this?

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

WHAT?

You can't use Lightroom for the H4D/60 files ... why would that be? LR recognizes all other 3FR files. Are you sure of this?

-Marc
    I can confirm this. It presumably takes a bit of time for Adobe to catch up but 60s have been around in some form for almost a year so you would think that Adobe and Hasselblad would have worked it out.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody:

did hasselblad implement a new (yet still temporary) version of Phocus to specifically handle files from the 60?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, initially a beta was given out to handle files from the 60 however this was not the case anymore with, I believe, 2.5.3. This one is now replaced by 2.5.4.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

thx

jm

Post Thanks / Like

2.5.2 also supported the 60.

Post Thanks / Like

I am just fiddling around with it in the studio. Testing the turntable, making animated Gif's (kind of like killing flies with a bazooka). The H4D60 is amazingly fast. It easily outpaces my strobes (granted set pretty high). What amazes me more is that after a sequence of 25 shots I turned my head towards the monitor and saw the last one coming in. It is easily faster than my CF39 which was not particularly fast but considering these files are a lot bigger it is quite good!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am just fiddling around with it in the studio. Testing the turntable, making animated Gif's (kind of like killing flies with a bazooka). The H4D60 is amazingly fast. It easily outpaces my strobes (granted set pretty high). What amazes me more is that after a sequence of 25 shots I turned my head towards the monitor and saw the last one coming in. It is easily faster than my CF39 which was not particularly fast but considering these files are a lot bigger it is quite good!
    That is very good news! I just upgraded my Graphics card and Phocus now runs much quicker than before.

I made the final decision to go, and just confirmed my H4D/60 trade order with my dealer. Hopefully, delivery will be this year yet for tax reasons, and I can join you guys in posting my impressions.

Thanks for sharing!

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations! I am sure you will be really happy with the 60. However if big DoF is important you will have another challenge on your hands

Geeez... the larger sensor makes it even more difficult.

Must be fantastic for my portrait work (which I got it for in the first place BTW). There simply is no DoF, just a slice of sharpness that doesn't seem to realize their ought to be a difference between f2.2 or f11.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congratulations! I am sure you will be really happy with the 60. However if big DoF is important you will have another challenge on your hands

Must be fantastic for my portrait work (which I got it for in the first place BTW). There simply is no DoF, just a slice of sharpness that doesn't seem to realize their ought to be a difference between f2.2 or f11.
    HTS/1.5

Post Thanks / Like

I think f16 is the best compromise for portraiture, and I think it is best to focus on the neck and re-compose so that the face is slightly soft and the hair is sharp... with a split image I focused on the ears!

Post Thanks / Like

HTS/1.5

Yes, I think I will be using that a lot more now

Here an image I did with the 60

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Marc - One of the knocks on the tech camera solution to getting resolution out of these backs is that it's really hard to focus to digital standards on a ground glass - at least in part because of the ground glass's "grain".

Well here I am working with with the HTS 1.5 and the 60 and I find myself focusing . . . on a ground glass. Examination of the files tells me that I often miss by just a little bit.

Any suggestions on how to get better results?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to know as well. I found I had to examine what I was doing and how I missed when I missed. I found out that at short distances (table top) I consistantly focussed a bit too far. I actually had to put focus somewhere before where I thought it was (the viewfinder would become even a bit more fuzzy) to get it exactly where I wanted it to be.

Quite frustrating to get it right by experience and not being able to trust upon the viewfinder.

I have not yet done it with the 60. Maybe the experience will be better.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

don't recall, but doesn't hasselblad have a focus calibration function?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    don't recall, but doesn't hasselblad have a focus calibration function?
    Yes - when shooting tethered with live view there is a focus assist feature that works quite well (i know this from my 39 days). I don't know whether it works with the HTS 1.5. I generally don't shoot tethered - but this may be the solution that people working in studios use. But not on the 60 right now because live view is one of the yet-to-be delivered features. Live view (at least as it was implemented on the h3d 39) has some serious limitations - it can't be used in daylight without a lot of of ND filter.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i was thinking more of some function that let you re-calibrate and re-set the perceived focus in viewfinder compared to the actual focus

Post Thanks / Like

Calibration is done on H3/H4 combinations and not on the CF + H body combinations. It is done in the factory and not user functionality.

Not sure even whether in my case it was the groundglass that was in the wrong place or something introduced by the HTS. Considering I have seen this on 3 different bodies (H1, H2F & H2F).

Anyway, most people that use the HTS agree on 2 things. It is an excellent piece of equipment and it is damn hard to get it to focus properly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay tapping my feet here. Lot of talk and no pics. LOL

Just kidding but would love to see some images
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes - when shooting tethered with live view there is a focus assist feature that works quite well (i know this from my 39 days). I don't know whether it works with the HTS 1.5. I generally don't shoot tethered - but this may be the solution that people working in studios use. But not on the 60 right now because live view is one of the yet-to-be delivered features. Live view (at least as it was implemented on the h3d 39) has some serious limitations - it can't be used in daylight without a lot of of ND filter.
    Yes Woody, Live View and the Focus Graphing works with the HTS/1.5.

For those not familiar with this feature, here is a quick shot I set up as a demo (a hand made necklace that our sweet house-maid made for my wife for Christmas) Pay no attention to the crap lighting ... it's just a focus demo

H4D/40 with HTS/1.5, 13mm tube, 50mm ... HTS tilted down to max, slight shift up. Shot tethered, Clicked Live View, click the mag tool on a key part of the image that I wanted to inspect, then used the Focus Graph to optimize focus.

The actual video feed is useless for anything more than composition ... it's when you use the magnifying tool to zoom in on a part you want to check focus on that the magic happens. What is cool is that using the mag tool, the focus point can be placed anywhere in the frame ... not just the center like when using the camera's focus system.

At this point, you do not touch the lens to correct focus, you use the +/- buttons in Phocus ... even though the focus is set to manual, the software adjusts plus or minus. The Green Graph Line is constantly updated as you fine tune the focus. An audio feedback is also available if you wish ... which I've used with view camera lenses that do have to be focused at the camera.

Here are the pics:

A) Full file
    B) Crop
    C The Process from the Hassey Manual
    D) Part 2 of the Process
    Focus Graphing for my photo (read captions)

Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Calibration is done on H3/H4 combinations and not on the CF + H body combinations. It is done in the factory and not user functionality.

Not sure even whether in my case it was the groundglass that was in the wrong place or something introduced by the HTS. Considering I have seen this on 3 different bodies (H1, H2F & H2F).

Anyway, most people that use the HTS agree on 2 things. It is an excellent piece of equipment and it is damn hard to get it to focus properly.
    Tethered focusing is easy ... see my post with photos above in answer to Woody's question as to wether Live View/Focus Graphing works with the HTS/1.5.

Focusing in the field, or for portraits is another matter. I have a diagonal split focusing screen on my H2F ... I think I'll install it on the H4D/40 and see how it works with the HTS/1.5.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

I know, I use the live view function often (obviously not with the 60).

Sorry Guy, not much of interest photographed yet. I am in the period of the year where I have time to update websites, toy around with new tools I got just in time to maximise Tax deductions, visit family members I have been avoiding all year, etc...

My Christmas wish above is one of the few things I shot with the 60 sofar

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Okay tapping my feet here. Lot of talk and no pics. LOL

Just kidding but would love to see some images
    I thought that photography was about DPI, not pictures?

300mm lens test, with a demo H4D-60 (before I got mine), at a Hasselblad UK hands-on event, in their London Studio.

One light, too small, so 400 ISO for f16, focused on neck to soften the face and get the hair in the POSF... I moved sideways to get the cross lighting on her cleavage and lost the background.

Would you like a larger .psd version, or what other pictures would you like me to take?

tetsrfun

Tethered focusing is easy ... see my post with photos above in answer to Woody's question as to wether Live View/Focus Graphing works with the HTS/1.5.

Focusing in the field, or for portraits is another matter. I have a diagonal split focusing screen on my H2F ... I think I'll install it on the H4D/40 and see how it works with the HTS/1.5.

-Marc
    I just upgraded my GC (3rd upgrade? and Marc's fault) in my 1.1 MacPro with an HD5770. Even with my low tech "V" and CFV, the annoying LV focusing "hysterisis" is almost eliminated; a big improvement.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Amen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dick View Post
    I thought that photography was about DPI, not pictures?

300mm lens test, with a demo H4D-60 (before I got mine), at a Hasselblad UK hands-on event, in their London Studio.

One light, too small, so 400 ISO for f16, focused on neck to soften the face and get the hair in the POSF... I moved sideways to get the cross lighting on her cleavage and lost the background.

Would you like a larger .psd version, or what other pictures would you like me to take?
    actually like the shot like it is. Nice image

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, I tried the split diagonal focusing screen with the HTS to no real joy. Shooting untethered wide open in ambient light with max tilt and any shift is indeed challenging.

I used the LCD zoom function to assess actual focus error and made semi-blind minor manual focus adjustments and shot again to get it right. Kinda hit or miss ... but when on, it's a neat effect being able to control placement of in focus and OOF areas. Not exactly for a spontaneous style of shooting ...

I think this isn't optically optimal for shooting faster apertures ... and the DOF is almost non-existent with the 100/2.2. Here are couple of snaps I got relatively right ...

Bet using the H4D/60 and HTS in ambient is going to be a real bear of a challenge.

-Marc