The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ultra wide suggestions - Tech camera

Terry

I would like to get an ultra wide lens to use on my Rm3D.

Any lens suggestions?

Has anyone used the Schneider 24mm Apo Digitar XL?

I know someone who has had flare problems with the Rodenstock 23mm so I'm a little bit gun shy on that one even though Rodenstock has apparently made design changes.

Any samples? I'm on a P40+ so this won't be quite as wide as it would on a P65+

stephengilbert

I haven't used either lens, but see that the image circle on the 24 is only 60mm. Would that be a problem? (The IC on the Schneider 28mm Digitar is 90mm.)

Terry

I haven't used either lens, but see that the image circle on the 24 is only 60mm. Would that be a problem? (The IC on the Schneider 28mm Digitar is 90mm.)
Thanks Stephen...I don't really expect to stitch with the lens I was actually looking for it for the "one shot" wide angle. I used my 16-35 a lot at 16mm on the A900.

jlm

Workshop Member
couple of thoughts:

sometimes you need to shift to control perspective and that can be a greater issue with a very wide lens.
you want that camera level or the horizon will be arc'ed, and then you will have a lot of foreground, hence need for shifting

you might also encounter light falloff at the perimeter, requiring a center darker filter

stephengilbert

"you might also encounter light falloff at the perimeter, requiring a center darker filter"

Schneider recommends a CF for the 24.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
You know if you look in your closet you have a DF and 28mm just sitting there begging to get used. LOL

Just saying

Terry

You know if you look in your closet you have a DF and 28mm just sitting there begging to get used. LOL

Just saying
Yes Guy,
That is an appealing option to carry in my tech camera bag.....the DF body only weighs one kilo and the the lens is almost 900 grams. :ROTFL::thumbup:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
"you might also encounter light falloff at the perimeter, requiring a center darker filter"

Schneider recommends a CF for the 24.
Terry is shooting a Phase back and has the LCC correction capability for falloff in C1. Granted that can bump noise slightly at the edges, but net/net I think a better solution than an optical CF.

Truth is, I agree with Guy for the wide solution -- the 28 on the DF is tough to beat...

steflaurent974

I use a Schneider Kreuznach 24mm apodigitar on the ALPA 12 SWA and with a P25+ :
I always use a center filter : I loos e 2 stops but I find correction in C1 are better than without.
With the P25+ the IC is really just and sometimes the corner shows a little darker triangle !!!
But i have never been annoyed by it, C1 manage it perfectly. Maybe this is not a problem with the P40+ Terry.
This 24mm is less expensive than te Rodenstock 23mm, and agood compromise for me.
Stephen said about the foreground : true ! if you need to be absolutely leveled, you'll get a lot of unuseful foreground ; that's why I tend to use this lens for landscape.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Not ultra wide , but very wide and an outstanding lens giving superb IQ .
RODENSTOCK HR DIGARON-S 4,5/28mm .
This lens does not need a center filter and has an image circle of 70 mm .
Weight is 830 gramms . The images are extremely sharp which can unfortunately not be shown in a jpeg image .
Here an impression . One of my first images with that lens .
ALAP12SWA + HR DIGARON-S 4,5/28mm + CFV39 shot at f=11 .
No shift but slight vertical correction done in CSPS5 .
View attachment 38253

Terry

Truth is, I agree with Guy for the wide solution -- the 28 on the DF is tough to beat...
Oh, and I was expecting a different answer....I thought you were going to say switch from a P40+ to a P65+ and you don't need a lens that wide...:D

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
That's the answer our vendor friends might suggest :D

Very interesting thread ... I'm in the same boat with my Alpa regarding investing in more Phase glass or wider options than my current 47 XL APO-Digitar.

thomas

Terry: this thread might be of interest for you:
http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7780

Terry is shooting a Phase back and has the LCC correction capability for falloff in C1. Granted that can bump noise slightly at the edges, but net/net I think a better solution than an optical CF.
slightly? depends on the amount of falloff. When you have to deal with 3 stops a glass filter is clearly the better solution... if you care about the edges.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Terry: this thread might be of interest for you:
http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7780

slightly? depends on the amount of falloff. When you have to deal with 3 stops a glass filter is clearly the better solution... if you care about the edges.
I do not think it's even 2 stops on her P40+ crop. I personally do not find ISO 50 to 200 that big of issue, especially at the corners. Plus with a 6u back, you can see image degradation from the CF -- YMMV of course.

rhsu

I would like to get an ultra wide lens to use on my Rm3D.

Any lens suggestions?

Has anyone used the Schneider 24mm Apo Digitar XL?

I know someone who has had flare problems with the Rodenstock 23mm so I'm a little bit gun shy on that one even though Rodenstock has apparently made design changes.

Any samples? I'm on a P40+ so this won't be quite as wide as it would on a P65+
Few months ago, I had a good several months play with arTec with HR23 and HR40 and with my own HR28 and HR35 on my Cambo WRS.

The DBs used during those time were Leaf 75 (non revolving), P45+, P65+ and Sinar 75LV. (No P40+)

All were subjected to LCC processing.

In direct reply, I (and we - few others in observation and testing) did not see any "flares" - putting aside all the tech specs on the DBs settings and processing ie noise, CA etc...

We were just testing to see the edges with the various DBs and lenses regarding pixel diffraction.

:thumbup:

micek

That's the answer our vendor friends might suggest :D

Very interesting thread ... I'm in the same boat with my Alpa regarding investing in more Phase glass or wider options than my current 47 XL APO-Digitar.
The 35.. XL is brilliant, compact and light. I use it without centre filter.

The 24mm XL is a fine lens, but I tend to use it for landscapes (I am an architectural photographer) or on a tall tripod in order to avoid unwanted foregrounds (or I crop).
It is not my most used lens, but it is always in my bag. I have also shot it without a centre filter, there is vignetting obviously, but for certain shots (or in B&W) it has a certain look that is not unpleasant.
Together with the SWA, considering its size and weight, it is infinitely kinder on your back than any Hasselblad/Phase alternative.

Terry

Few months ago, I had a good several months play with arTec with HR23 and HR40 and with my own HR28 and HR35 on my Cambo WRS.

The DBs used during those time were Leaf 75 (non revolving), P45+, P65+ and Sinar 75LV. (No P40+)

All were subjected to LCC processing.

In direct reply, I (and we - few others in observation and testing) did not see any "flares" - putting aside all the tech specs on the DBs settings and processing ie noise, CA etc...

We were just testing to see the edges with the various DBs and lenses regarding pixel diffraction.

:thumbup:
I think they made a design change on the 23mm lens but I have seen two copies of the lens that leave a nice ugly spot in a bad spot in conditions where you wouldn't expect a problem. I have an email to the person I know with the lens to get an update. I believe he was switching to the 24mm.