Site Sponsors

Thread: Ultra wide suggestions - Tech camera

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ultra wide suggestions - Tech camera

I would like to get an ultra wide lens to use on my Rm3D.

Any lens suggestions?

Has anyone used the Schneider 24mm Apo Digitar XL?

I know someone who has had flare problems with the Rodenstock 23mm so I'm a little bit gun shy on that one even though Rodenstock has apparently made design changes.

Any samples? I'm on a P40+ so this won't be quite as wide as it would on a P65+

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Ultra wide suggestions - Tech camera

I haven't used either lens, but see that the image circle on the 24 is only 60mm. Would that be a problem? (The IC on the Schneider 28mm Digitar is 90mm.)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    I haven't used either lens, but see that the image circle on the 24 is only 60mm. Would that be a problem? (The IC on the Schneider 28mm Digitar is 90mm.)
    Thanks Stephen...I don't really expect to stitch with the lens I was actually looking for it for the "one shot" wide angle. I used my 16-35 a lot at 16mm on the A900.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry,

There are sample photos from most Rodenstock and Schneider lenses (including the 23 and 24) on the ALPA website, here: http://www.alpa.ch/en/gallery.html

Steve

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

couple of thoughts:

sometimes you need to shift to control perspective and that can be a greater issue with a very wide lens.
    you want that camera level or the horizon will be arc'ed, and then you will have a lot of foreground, hence need for shifting

you might also encounter light falloff at the perimeter, requiring a center darker filter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"you might also encounter light falloff at the perimeter, requiring a center darker filter"

Schneider recommends a CF for the 24.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You know if you look in your closet you have a DF and 28mm just sitting there begging to get used. LOL

Just saying
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    You know if you look in your closet you have a DF and 28mm just sitting there begging to get used. LOL

Just saying
    Yes Guy,
    That is an appealing option to carry in my tech camera bag.....the DF body only weighs one kilo and the the lens is almost 900 grams.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey when your in this ballpark you gotta get a bat boy. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    "you might also encounter light falloff at the perimeter, requiring a center darker filter"

Schneider recommends a CF for the 24.
    Terry is shooting a Phase back and has the LCC correction capability for falloff in C1. Granted that can bump noise slightly at the edges, but net/net I think a better solution than an optical CF.

Truth is, I agree with Guy for the wide solution -- the 28 on the DF is tough to beat...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I use a Schneider Kreuznach 24mm apodigitar on the ALPA 12 SWA and with a P25+ :
    I always use a center filter : I loos e 2 stops but I find correction in C1 are better than without.
    With the P25+ the IC is really just and sometimes the corner shows a little darker triangle !!!
    But i have never been annoyed by it, C1 manage it perfectly. Maybe this is not a problem with the P40+ Terry.
    This 24mm is less expensive than te Rodenstock 23mm, and agood compromise for me.
    Stephen said about the foreground : true ! if you need to be absolutely leveled, you'll get a lot of unuseful foreground ; that's why I tend to use this lens for landscape.
    ---------------------------------
    http://stef974.tumblr.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not ultra wide , but very wide and an outstanding lens giving superb IQ .
    RODENSTOCK HR DIGARON-S 4,5/28mm .
    This lens does not need a center filter and has an image circle of 70 mm .
    Weight is 830 gramms . The images are extremely sharp which can unfortunately not be shown in a jpeg image .
    Here an impression . One of my first images with that lens .
    ALAP12SWA + HR DIGARON-S 4,5/28mm + CFV39 shot at f=11 .
    No shift but slight vertical correction done in CSPS5 .
    Attachment 38253
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Truth is, I agree with Guy for the wide solution -- the 28 on the DF is tough to beat...
    Oh, and I was expecting a different answer....I thought you were going to say switch from a P40+ to a P65+ and you don't need a lens that wide...

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's the answer our vendor friends might suggest

Very interesting thread ... I'm in the same boat with my Alpa regarding investing in more Phase glass or wider options than my current 47 XL APO-Digitar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry: this thread might be of interest for you:
    http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7780

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Terry is shooting a Phase back and has the LCC correction capability for falloff in C1. Granted that can bump noise slightly at the edges, but net/net I think a better solution than an optical CF.
    slightly? depends on the amount of falloff. When you have to deal with 3 stops a glass filter is clearly the better solution... if you care about the edges.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Oh, and I was expecting a different answer....I thought you were going to say switch from a P40+ to a P65+ and you don't need a lens that wide...
    that of course is the more logical path
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    Terry: this thread might be of interest for you:
    http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7780

slightly? depends on the amount of falloff. When you have to deal with 3 stops a glass filter is clearly the better solution... if you care about the edges.
    I do not think it's even 2 stops on her P40+ crop. I personally do not find ISO 50 to 200 that big of issue, especially at the corners. Plus with a 6u back, you can see image degradation from the CF -- YMMV of course.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Any lens suggestions?

I know someone who has had flare problems with the Rodenstock 23mm so I'm a little bit gun shy on that one even though Rodenstock has apparently made design changes.

Few months ago, I had a good several months play with arTec with HR23 and HR40 and with my own HR28 and HR35 on my Cambo WRS.

The DBs used during those time were Leaf 75 (non revolving), P45+, P65+ and Sinar 75LV. (No P40+)

All were subjected to LCC processing.

In direct reply, I (and we - few others in observation and testing) did not see any "flares" - putting aside all the tech specs on the DBs settings and processing ie noise, CA etc...

We were just testing to see the edges with the various DBs and lenses regarding pixel diffraction.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    That's the answer our vendor friends might suggest

Very interesting thread ... I'm in the same boat with my Alpa regarding investing in more Phase glass or wider options than my current 47 XL APO-Digitar.
    The 35.. XL is brilliant, compact and light. I use it without centre filter.

The 24mm XL is a fine lens, but I tend to use it for landscapes (I am an architectural photographer) or on a tall tripod in order to avoid unwanted foregrounds (or I crop).
    It is not my most used lens, but it is always in my bag. I have also shot it without a centre filter, there is vignetting obviously, but for certain shots (or in B&W) it has a certain look that is not unpleasant.
    Together with the SWA, considering its size and weight, it is infinitely kinder on your back than any Hasselblad/Phase alternative.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rhsu View Post
    Few months ago, I had a good several months play with arTec with HR23 and HR40 and with my own HR28 and HR35 on my Cambo WRS.

The DBs used during those time were Leaf 75 (non revolving), P45+, P65+ and Sinar 75LV. (No P40+)

All were subjected to LCC processing.

In direct reply, I (and we - few others in observation and testing) did not see any "flares" - putting aside all the tech specs on the DBs settings and processing ie noise, CA etc...

We were just testing to see the edges with the various DBs and lenses regarding pixel diffraction.

I think they made a design change on the 23mm lens but I have seen two copies of the lens that leave a nice ugly spot in a bad spot in conditions where you wouldn't expect a problem. I have an email to the person I know with the lens to get an update. I believe he was switching to the 24mm.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by micek View Post
    The 35.. XL is brilliant, compact and light. I use it without centre filter.

The 24mm XL is a fine lens, but I tend to use it for landscapes (I am an architectural photographer) or on a tall tripod in order to avoid unwanted foregrounds (or I crop).
    It is not my most used lens, but it is always in my bag. I have also shot it without a centre filter, there is vignetting obviously, but for certain shots (or in B&W) it has a certain look that is not unpleasant.
    Together with the SWA, considering its size and weight, it is infinitely kinder on your back than any Hasselblad/Phase alternative.
    The 35 was my first lens and I LOVE it....the 24 would be for landscapes.

Post Thanks / Like

Slightly off topic - has anyone seen the new Rodenstock HR 32W lens?I have one on order - the specs look very impressive with a 90mm image circle.I have a HR28 and it is stellar quality - with respect far better than Mamiya - it has a 70mm circ. so some shift is possible with "smaller" sensors.
    The suggestion to move to a larger sensor is not so crazyits just a matter of time Terry! so with that in mind I would be planning lens purchases to suit.
    JOHN

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well I have the 32mm, great lens, but I won't say more before i actually had time to shoot more. (First impressions can sometimes be wrong)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Well I have the 32mm, great lens, but I won't say more before i actually had time to shoot more. (First impressions can sometimes be wrong)
    Chris,
    Would love to hear more when you have time!

Cheers JOHN

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here are two variants from the same shot. (for an interior panorama) with natural light.

Taken on tripod, ALPA12swa, schneider apodigtar 24mm at F11.
    Processed in C1 v6 : no clarity and Presharpening prest.

First one without LCC correction : you can see a green color cast on the bottom of this old POrsche roadster and light fall-off in the corner.

And the same with LCC applied :

As you can see no issue with the little IC on the P25+, and a very goo result.
    http://stef974.tumblr.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Any lens suggestions?

For landscape, maybe you should try stitching before buying a wider lens. Here is an example of stitching using a RM3D and 35mm lens. The angle of view is roughly equivalent to a 24mm lens.
    Last edited by David Klepacki; 30th June 2013 at 21:29.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

What other lenses do you have?

How much rise/fall has your camera?

I have the Schneider Apo-Digitar 47XL (I have not mounted it yet).

The 47XL has exactly the same angle of view (100 degrees) as the 24, so, if you can shift and stitch, you get two lenses in one.

You have enough shift to enable you to get tall buildings in without using a tall tripod or cropping the foreground.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Probably not the type of image most use a Schneider 24 for..a simple hand held snap on Alpa - shot from about a foot and half away ...never had a problem with flare or hyperfocal focussing ( sweet spot is F11 on this lens ) - coincides with everything from close up to way out in focus - I used puny Schneider scale on lens to focus along sleeping beauty ..recommend you purchase center filter for the lens though..

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks everyone.....
    I do have the Schneider 35mm Apo Digitar and can stitch but I also enjoy just doing one wide shot unstitched. So, I wouldn't be looking to use this lens with shifts.

The 24mm is a nice lens to have but I'm not sure I would consider it in my "must have" category. While I was just joking about just changing backs and getting wider lenses....it is always in the back of my mind as to putting together a kit that isn't too wonky if indeed I do end up with a different sized back.

In addition to the 35 I also have the Schneider 90mm lens. So, something in the 55mm range is also on my short list.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Rodenstock hrw 70 or or the New Schneider 60

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Christopher - been trying to see if anyone has used the new 60 yet. Have you tried a copy?

Post Thanks / Like

What is the image circle of the new Schneider 60?

The old one sucks @ 60mm! (like the 24)

Post Thanks / Like

I do have the Schneider 35mm Apo Digitar and can stitch but I also enjoy just doing one wide shot unstitched.
    If your enjoyment of doing one wide shot unstitched outweighs the gain in resolution from stitching, then of course you should get a wider lens. Stitching with a longer focal length is desirable when you prefer to see more fine details in your landscape images.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dick View Post
    What is the image circle of the new Schneider 60?
    120mm

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nope, i Fear it is coming as late as the new 28.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by David Klepacki View Post
    If your enjoyment of doing one wide shot unstitched outweighs the gain in resolution from stitching, then of course you should get a wider lens. Stitching with a longer focal length is desirable when you prefer to see more fine details in your landscape images.
    David, I have the 35 and will most likely have the 60 for stitching and yes you are spot on about resolution etc working that way. But sometimes if I want to stick with the 4:3 aspect ratio and the light is changing I don't want to end up taking up to 9 shots and all the related LCC's. In addition, I live by the ocean which gets difficult and sometimes just being able to go wide and not think about stitching is preferable.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nope, i Fear it is coming as late as the new 28.
    Well I think I'm going to end up being the guinea pig and ordering it blind...somebody has got to go first.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Terry, I noticed your query earlier this morning as we were about to head out the door to shoot Shiprock and had to wait till we returned this afternoon before I could respond.

One of the greatest (in my opinion) aspects to using a technical camera is the ability to shoot flat stitches. Flat stitching will in some cases make just about any focal length into a wide angle lens. While I use a Cambo WRS and not an Arca the concept should be the same; meaning flat movements of the back around the lens circle. In my case I can move my back depending on my lens up to 15mm left and right as well as 10mm up and down.

I used a Mamiya 28mm lens while I shot with the AFD and like the overall effectiveness of the lens. As I made my move over to the Cambo I wanted to recreate what I was getting plus adding the ability to do the flat stitching the WRS was capable of.

I made the mistake of buying a Schneider 24mm lens thinking that if a 28 was good a 24mm would be that much better. It wasn't as it turned out. The image circle of the 24mm turned out to be so small as to only allow for a very small amount of movements before the dreaded vignette occurred. I was stuck with a lens that was sharp and produced lovely images and at the same time I was stuck with a lens that I was incapable of using for movements. I remember doing some very loose testing and quickly found that by using my Schneider 35mm I was capable of achieving the same finished image (if not slightly larger) just by using flat stitching.

My recommendation would be staying with your 35mm as it will allow for movements and get you close to if not slightly beyond what a 24 will offer without the ability of including movements.

Save you move for other goodies!

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post
    While I use a Cambo WRS and not an Arca the concept should be the same; meaning flat movements of the back around the lens circle. In my case I can move my back depending on my lens up to 15mm left and right as well as 10mm up and down.
    Don
    My Sinar P3 converted from a P2 is a big ugly beast, but it gives, from memory, a total of 8cm rise/fall and 8cm left/right... so, you can use an image circle of 120mm with a 36 * 48 mm sensor (this needs +/- 37mm and 32mm, according to the Schneider brochure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My recommendation would be staying with your 35mm as it will allow for movements and get you close to if not slightly beyond what a 24 will offer without the ability of including movements.
    Btw, Alpa have a really nice comprehensive tool that is equally applicable to Arca/Cambo or any other technical camera with movements. Just plug in your sensor size, the available shift/rise/fall & lens focal length/image circle and it'll calculate the equivalent image focal length for you if you stitch images together. It also handles the landscape/portrait orientation calculations and also you can easily specify just rise/fall or shift by setting the other dimensions to zero etc.

http://www.alpa.ch/en/products/tools...alculator.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

While I use a Cambo WRS and not an Arca the concept should be the same; meaning flat movements of the back around the lens circle. In my case I can move my back depending on my lens up to 15mm left and right as well as 10mm up and down.
    My Sinar P3 converted from a P2 is a big ugly beast, but it gives, from memory, a total of 8cm rise/fall and 8cm left/right... so, you can use an image circle of 120mm with a 36 * 48 mm sensor (this needs +/- 37mm and 32mm, according to the Schneider brochure.
    I think Don referred to the image circle of his particular lenses... as the actual Wide RS body provides movements of +/-40mm (+/-20mm lateral & +25mm rise / -15mm fall).
    I doubt your 80mm movements are really usable with a digiback... as the edges will go too soft - at least with wide angle lenses. Of course it depends on your application... but the falloff is really not insignificant.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Don referred to the image circle of his particular lenses... as the actual Wide RS body provides movements of +/-40mm (+/-20mm lateral & +25mm rise / -15mm fall).
    I doubt your 80mm movements are really usable with a digiback... as the edges will go too soft - at least with wide angle lenses. Of course it depends on your application... but the falloff is really not insignificant.
    I think the Schneider Apo-Digitar lenses are OK, and the lenses Sinar lenses are better re edge res...
    When edged res is a problem pan and stitch is an option.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think the Schneider Apo-Digitar lenses are OK
    try it!

Post Thanks / Like

Hello,
    I am a new member with lens questions - but first a little introduction: I'm a vet photog for 40 years, mostly 35mm, with a little MF, and barely any LF. I am at home with the 5DMkII and most of the Canon lenses. I am learning the Phase One system with the 40+ and a bunch of legacy manual lenses (Hassy, Ptx 67, and Mamiya).
    The Rm3di is on the way, and I am looking at a lens kit for fine art architecture/ architectural elements (wide +/- stitching), portrait (single and group), landscape/ cityscape (medium & tele +/- stitching, still-life (floral/ macro +/- stitching), art repro (icons/ tapestries).
    The Phase One knowledge base article #1221 outlines the linear edge artifacts some have found with the Schneider lenses less than 50mm. This seems to suggest that the Rodenstocks might do better at less than 50mm.
    Given that I am getting the Rm3di with the goal of images that are as sharp as possible, and often larger than native resolution of the Phase sensor, i.e. stitched, I am interested in several topics:

1. Do you limit your lens choices to the Digitars and Digarons? Which of the "non-digital" lenses could work equally well (?super-angulons, apo-sironars)? I mentioned that I have the 40+, but that is like a camera body - they come and go, but glass is made to last ..... I think that I want lenses that will work with the 80mp (or larger) back.
    2. Best "wide" without room to stitch?
    3. Best "wide" with room to stitch?
    4. Best macro that may also be useable at longer distances (portraits) or useable with stitching (for long tapestries or tall icons)?
    5. What teles are stuck in your cold dead fingers?

So if you can't get the Cube ..... what's your vote for a stick-topper, and why? I'm guessing something with gears.

Newbie questions:
    6. If you tilt, do you lose room to stitch because the image circle is smaller, (and is the shrinkage significant)?
    7. Does the limited amount of shift on the R series mean that anything above a certain image circle size is actually wasted - what is the maximum useable image circle for the RL - the largest of the R series ( that I might actually use some day)?
    8. Why do the Schneider apo-digitar 60N, 90N, 100N all have a 53 degree angle of view?
    9. Why do the Apo digitar 47 and digitar 28 both have 92 degree angle of view? (Obviously I come from the little land of 35mm where angles of view progress logically - I just don't understand the logic here)

Blessings, and thanks for your time and opinions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

just to start somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    So if you can't get the Cube ..... what's your vote for a stick-topper, and why? I'm guessing something with gears.
    on a technical camera of course something with gears. Arca's new D4 head is a perfect match IMO.

Does the limited amount of shift on the R series mean that anything above a certain image circle size is actually wasted - what is the maximum useable image circle for the RL - the largest of the R series ( that I might actually use some day)?
    limited amount of shift? There are "digital large format" cameras that provide larger movements, but the 30/10mm + 15/15mm of the Rm3D will do for most purposes. At larger movements you have to deal with heavy sharpness falloff anyway (at least with wide angels)
    On the other hand the lateral +/-15mm shift on the Rm3D might be a reason to consider a digiback with a larger sensor plane... such like a P45 or P65 ...
    "Image circle" is an attribute of the lenses, not of the camera. However the movements a certain camera provides may or may not limit the actual usable image circle of a lens.

9. Why do the Apo digitar 47 and digitar 28 both have 92 degree angle of view?
    the 47 has a much larger image circle. When stitiching you are literally increasing the sensor plane... so the 47 stichted to a larger sensor plane results in the same angle of view than the 28 (simplified speaking).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So Terry, did you finally choose a super-wide for use with the P40+? Personally I've been looking at 28mm offerings, with the new Schneider being of particular interest. Did you reach any conclusions in your search?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No, not yet. I have a 35 schneider, 90mm Schneider. I also have the new 60mm on order. The 24 mm is the lens I would get but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. Even if I decided today it would take a couple of months to get that lens.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Hello,

9. Why do the Apo digitar 47 and digitar 28 both have 92 degree angle of view? (Obviously I come from the little land of 35mm where angles of view progress logically - I just don't understand the logic here)
    just to start somewhere...

The 47 has a much larger image circle. When stitiching you are literally increasing the sensor plane... so the 47 stichted to a larger sensor plane results in the same angle of view than the 28 (simplified speaking).
    The 90 also has a 92 degree "lens field of view".

Technical camera lenses have image circles bigger than the the minimum required to cover the format/sensor/GG, to permit camera movements for perspective correction, stitching, etc.

The concept here is the difference between the
    lens field of view, which projects a circular
    image circle.

And the Format field of view, which is what you get in the picture ...the part of the image circle that falls on the sensor/GG/film.

The image circle is a slice of the projected cone, so, at higher magnifications (greater extensions) the image circle is bigger.

...so shift-and-stitching 4 or 6 60 Mpx images with the 47 can give the same Stitched-format angle of view as the 28.

Lenses wider that 47 are a PITA to use and usually need a special "pancake" camera or give you no movements, and, with a 47 you can get wide enough for most purposes by stitching.
    Last edited by dick; 12th January 2011 at 05:51. Reason: add para

Post Thanks / Like

Thankyou Dick,
    That helps.
    Joe