The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Purpose & help with MFD gear.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Hi Marc,

You are about 5 years ahead of me on the retirement schedule (I HOPE!) and I am going to watch your progress like a hawk.

I think the 4900 is a great option ... I have had one sitting in my cart at BH for almost a week...but all of the complaints about head clogging has kept me from pulling the trigger. And this is from one who has used Epson forever with Colorbyte IP. I have an Epson 3800 and can let it sit for months and with a small clearing cycle get perfect prints. Wasting paper and time does not appeal to me.

Look at the Lula threads about the 7900 and the IPF 8300/6300's.

I do think that 24 inch printers will serve you better than a 17 inch...especially with 3x4 or 5x7 rather than 2x3 format. Uncurling the paper will not be that big of a deal.

Andy Biggs just dropped a 9900 and kept the IPF 8300 as he was having severe problems with the clogging. He also has a HP printer. I have his BW African safari limited edition print portfolio...printed on Moab Entrada Rag and the man can print....knows his stuff.

http://www.theglobalphotographer.co.../2009/2/25/new-portfolio-boxes-available.html

I will probably run with the Canon IPF 6350 and use my Eye One Extreme to profile papers...with rebate and special pricing it is less than the 4900.

Should you get adventurous with your vacation time I can recommend a few wonderful Non-GHO's who would love to avail themselves of your expertise...

For instance:

http://www.mercyships.org/volunteer/index/

Specifically:

Videographer bottom of page

http://www.mercyships.org/positions/P40/

These guys have no idea how you could improve their material...and not really need intense video...your wedding skills would blow them away. Take a look around the website and blog:

http://www.mercyships.org/pages/mercyships-mission

http://www.mercyships.org/news

I am seriously jealous at your opportunities...keep us posted.

And congratulations. Well deserved. Spend it well.

Bob

docmoore

Oh...

If you go with them I will let you take my Sony EX1R....

No need to get additional stuff!

Bob

Terry

Hi Marc,

I think the 4900 is a great option ... I have had one sitting in my cart at BH for almost a week...but all of the complaints about head clogging has kept me from pulling the trigger.
Bob
Where are you seeing info on head clogging on the 4900??? I have one on the way and will change to a 7900 or stick with my 3800 if there are truly problems. I was at a seminar at Calumet and the instructor a well known photographer who does his own printing has been using the printer for a while (I believe he is a tester) and was raving about the 4900.

Marc - not trying to hijack here. Sorry

fotografz

Where are you seeing info on head clogging on the 4900??? I have one on the way and will change to a 7900 or stick with my 3800 if there are truly problems. I was at a seminar at Calumet and the instructor a well known photographer who does his own printing has been using the printer for a while (I believe he is a tester) and was raving about the 4900.

No Prob ... discussion gets it all out before any dollars go bye-bye :ROTFL:

-Marc

docmoore

Terry,

My assumption is that the head is using the exact tech in the 79/9900....all sorts of threads where many individuals are having problems with clogs in those machines. It is a problem that seems sporadic and perhaps related to humidity and frequency of use....higher humidity and commercial use seems to be less likely to experience this problem. However one would assume that Guy (in Arizona) would have seen this with his 7900 if the low humidity is the only issue.

As I print in spells with long intervals in between I am loathe to be the first to jump on the new printer until we know if its experience parallels that of its larger predecessors. Hope that my concerns are unfounded as I have always loved the 3800 output with Image Print.

If this is not out of line, I would refer you to the newest thread concerning this ... as of this past week:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=49500.0

Again, the technology is derivative in the 4900 from these printers and there has been no mention of improvement or change with regard to this problem so caution may be in order.

Additionally, there is some suggestion of pizza wheel marking in the 4900 for thicker paper stock.

Objectively the straight paper path, multipaper support and third party RIP software still makes it a compelling choice. I held off on buying a 4880 for a year in expectation of the 4900...not enough news about Epson rectifying this "problem?" to make me completely at ease with it as a first choice. Having said that I am not in a production environment and losing a bit of time is not crucial....however I tend to change printers only when a new threshold has been attained with respect to output.

A 24 inch Canon IPF 63/6350 at less than the Epson is tempting as the heat process in the Canon and HP line seems to obviate some of the clog issues found in the Epson.

I would love to hear others impressions so I can clear my shopping cart or have the 4900 shipped.

Thanks,

Bob

mvirtue

Adding to the off topic-ness.

I own a ipf6100. I love it. I had a Epson 2200 before it that just clogged and clogged. My printer sits for a month between runs with no clogs and it fires up and delivers 100-200 linear feet of 24" wide prints without batting an eyelash.

--Mark
http://gallery.virtuousphotography.com

docmoore

Terry,

Can you spin this part of the thread from #22 on off into a new thread....would like to return to Marc's original post and keep it on topic.

Apologies to all for sending this out of bounds.

Bob

docmoore

I will leave these here for right now and start a new thread copying the same posts. Part of what Marc needs to do is figure out printing so not totally irrelevant but as you say the topic does deserve its own thread.
Thanks,

Bob

T

tetsrfun

Just reading this thread and to get back to Marc's pano gear question; Is anyone using the new RRS "PG-02 Omni-Pivot Package". I am thinking of upgrading my RRS "Omni_Pivot" with the new, heavier arm for MF use.

As an aside, I gave up with the ball-head for the pano gear, a real PITA. The new RRS leveling base (fits series 3 Gitzo and RRS TVC-33) is very quick to level and if precise geared movement isn't needed, is a lot cheaper than the "CUBE". For general landscape use, an RRS leveling base and PCL-1 clamp is a quick, lightweight set up.

Steve

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
In your original post you mention having been encouraged to teach and I'd like to add another vote for that possibility. Your background and experience is rare. In spite of all the advertising we've all been exposed to, there aren't many individuals with your experience who've created it on such a high level.

I'm guessing that students enrolled in the more elite schools have some access to people with a CV like yours, but there are many more individuals out there who won't have opportunities like that. Week-long workshops (like they do at the Maine Media Workshops) would allow some aspiring photographers to absorb some of the aspects of commercial photography from you that you can't learn anywhere else. For example: What does an Ad Agency look for in a photographer when they start the selection process? How do you get your foot in the door? Beyond the technical, what other qualities might one need? You get the idea and I'm sure you know better than I do what kind of information could actually help.

So yeah, you might not be shooting (depends on the course structure I guess), but you'd be among an interesting group of faculty, some of whom are pretty bright lights in the photographic world themselves. And, there's always that chance that one of your pupils will be inspired by you in some way and go on to greatness.

Just a thought. Best of luck on whatever your new stage brings.
Tim