The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hy6 vs 6008 for film

Paratom

For several reasons (fun, look of images (grain/DOF/bokeh/"character"of colors) , I am ineterested to shoot some film again with MF.
As an owner of Hy6 with Sinar back I am now wondering if I should get the new 6x6 magazin for the Hy6, with a steep price of around 1500€, or just buy a 6008 (I could get a used 6008 professional with 80mm lens and magazin for around 500-700 €) and use that for film-or last option buy just a magazinm holder and used 645 film magazin for the Hy6.

I wondered if anybody who might have experience with both systems 6008 and Hy6 could give me a suggestion how much of an advantage the Hy6 gives over the 6008???

I tend towards the magazin for the Hy6, because it would mean same handling for film and digital, less bulk (and in the end I want to reduce my gear collection) and full functionality even for afd lenses.
But then it hurts to pay 1500 € just for a magazin if you can buy a whole camera with magazin for 500-700€.

By the way just talked to DHW and it really sounds good to me that they continue to support (and even expand) the Hy6-system.

Graham Mitchell

Seems like the film magazine is the way to go, given that you have everything else you need. It is such a small thing to add to your pack to give you film capability.

If you get a 6008, you will need to have separate batteries, different charger, different viewfinders, you will need to get used to 2 camera bodies, and of course it won't work with any AFD lenses you might have. Plus I expect this would be out of warranty whereas a new film back would be covered. Given that you are not really saving any money, I would go with the smaller, lighter, simpler, warranty-covered option.

baudolino

Hi, I bought the 6x6 magazine for the Hy6 and would not even consider getting a used 6008 to shoot film occasionally; bulk, different battery chargers, remote control etc., different controls layout and potential reliability problems being the main deterrent. As for 645 vs 6x6 is a question of compositional preference; I've always liked to shoot square, hence my decision in favor of the 6x6 back to complement the digital back. As for 645, I personally have no reason to shoot film in that format, the DB does everything better there. The way I see it, the 6x6 film back is there only because there is no 6x6 digital solution and I sometimes like to shoot in the square format, without having to crop to square from a rectangular image that was composed in a masked viewfinder that was originally square :)