Site Sponsors

Thread: Hy6 vs 6008 for film

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Hy6 vs 6008 for film

For several reasons (fun, look of images (grain/DOF/bokeh/"character"of colors) , I am ineterested to shoot some film again with MF.
    As an owner of Hy6 with Sinar back I am now wondering if I should get the new 6x6 magazin for the Hy6, with a steep price of around 1500, or just buy a 6008 (I could get a used 6008 professional with 80mm lens and magazin for around 500-700 ) and use that for film-or last option buy just a magazinm holder and used 645 film magazin for the Hy6.

I wondered if anybody who might have experience with both systems 6008 and Hy6 could give me a suggestion how much of an advantage the Hy6 gives over the 6008???

I tend towards the magazin for the Hy6, because it would mean same handling for film and digital, less bulk (and in the end I want to reduce my gear collection) and full functionality even for afd lenses.
    But then it hurts to pay 1500 just for a magazin if you can buy a whole camera with magazin for 500-700.

By the way just talked to DHW and it really sounds good to me that they continue to support (and even expand) the Hy6-system.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hy6 vs 6008 for film

Seems like the film magazine is the way to go, given that you have everything else you need. It is such a small thing to add to your pack to give you film capability.

If you get a 6008, you will need to have separate batteries, different charger, different viewfinders, you will need to get used to 2 camera bodies, and of course it won't work with any AFD lenses you might have. Plus I expect this would be out of warranty whereas a new film back would be covered. Given that you are not really saving any money, I would go with the smaller, lighter, simpler, warranty-covered option.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi, I bought the 6x6 magazine for the Hy6 and would not even consider getting a used 6008 to shoot film occasionally; bulk, different battery chargers, remote control etc., different controls layout and potential reliability problems being the main deterrent. As for 645 vs 6x6 is a question of compositional preference; I've always liked to shoot square, hence my decision in favor of the 6x6 back to complement the digital back. As for 645, I personally have no reason to shoot film in that format, the DB does everything better there. The way I see it, the 6x6 film back is there only because there is no 6x6 digital solution and I sometimes like to shoot in the square format, without having to crop to square from a rectangular image that was composed in a masked viewfinder that was originally square

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guys-I guess you are right.
    Its just pretty expensive.