The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Error Code 04 - Mamiya AFD II

Valentin

Today I was shooting and all of the sudden the shutter got stuck open. After a couple of seconds it closed (it sounded like when you are in bulb mode or really long exposures).

Right away, the top display showed Err 04, advanced the film and the counter went from 15 to 1 (film back). Right after that started working again (I took another shot and then manually re-winded the film). Batteries were not fully discharged or blinking.

Any idea what that Err 04 means?

Valentin

Valentin,
No, sorry I don't.
-bob
Thanks Bob. It seems that Mamiya wants to keep this a closely guarded secret :).

I have a 6 month warranty on this but it would be inconvenient to send this in (especially if they can't reproduce the problem) but at the same time I would hate to have the camera stop working right after it expires.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Have you tried giving the folks at MAC group a call? I believe that they service the US Mamiya equipment (amongst others). They may tell you to send it in but it's worth a try ...

Don Libby

I vaguely remember having a problem "sorta" like this and what I needed to do was re-seat the batteries by popping the holder out and reinserting before it cleared. This was many years ago and not entirely certain it resulted in a Code 04 but offer it just the same.

Don

Valentin

Thanks Graham and Don.

Another gentlemen PMed me and he mentioned the batteries as well. That could definitely be the problem. I used the Eneloop rechargeables and I shot about 10-15 rolls with them. I have to keep an eye on how many rolls I can go through with a set of batteries.

S

sdz

Hello everybody, I know this is an old thread but I now have exactly the same problem and perhaps someone found a solution for that?

I have an AFd ii with two different film backs. I used normal alkaline, eneloops with 2700mAh and I cleaned the contacts also but its all the same. I also replaced the batterys in both backs. I have the issue with every roll in both backs. The counter is set back to "--" so I loose the photo that was stuck and the camera winds up the film afterwards also, so i loose at least two shots so this isn´t merely annoying.

Best regards, Sebastian

ondebanks

Throwing in a guess here, since you are not getting other answers...

Both you and the OP (Valentin) said that you were using rechargeable batteries - these normally output 1.2 Volts rather than 1.5 V. So the set of 6 is supplying 7.2V to the camera instead of 9V. That might be a factor?

Ray