The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Why did you choose your back?

T

thsinar

Brad,

the one I have shown is a pre-series model and I was told the series would look the same.

Best regards,
Thierry

PS: here a pic how the series model looks (screenshot from a small image, sorry for the resolution)

Aha! That clears up my confusion, thank you!

Glad to hear the Hy6 45° finder is shipping! I've put in an order with my dealer for it. Let's see how long the backlog takes! :)

Out of curiosity, does the Hy6 prism finder look any different from the modified 6008 finder you have shown?

Best regards,
-Brad

Rethmeier

I opted for the 90 degree mirror box finder that will be released in August.
More usefull to me than the 45 degree
Cheers,
$2100 AUD OUCH!
Willem.

elitegroup

I agree I am one of them:thumbup: Although not yet the owner of Hy6 I love the concept to be able to have one system and use Rollei/Sinar Lenses on ALPA Cameras etc., in addition to that you can use SINAR DB's with almost every camera on the market if you happen to change your mind or you simply like to Mix different looks/quality:thumbup:

However, I didn't buy my MFDB system because of an idea even though I really like Hy6. As I said before.... I made my purchase based on convenience!!!

I don't think potential buyers of Hasselblad/Leaf/Sinar/Phase need scientific approach in terms of quality, all of us know they all come more or less with a enough sodium to hurt our cardiovascular muscles:p

For me it was simple..... before you make your FINAL DECISION, ask around where can you rent and what make MFDB for a job? Let it be any corner of the world..... Your answer is more likely to be PHASE!!! So in that respect, you are more than safe with your investment! At least for me and number of my friends, we truly felt at peace with our investments:thumbup:
Hi Natasa,

I'm looking at the Phase One 645, P30+ & Hasselblad 110mm f/2.0 combo.

I've noticed you use the same back. Can you capture and apply a custom grey card WB in/with the Phase or do you only have this option in post/C1

This is the work flow I use with the Canon and hope to continue with the Phase.

Dear Natasa,
No, I do not own any of DSLRs, neither Nikon nor Canon. I am just a mere amateur and my eyes are bad. I do not like to see the world through a tunnel.http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/images/smilies/redface.gif

I have all four Sinaron Digital AF lenses (40-80-120 Makro-180) and a Manual 120mm makro in the V-mount. My intention was to buy only 120mm AF Sinaron (all 4 lenses are Zeiss) for copying work. The Sinar dealer offered me the whole system with a free 40mm. lens ($12,000=00 discount) and I HAD to buy the System. All lenses are exceptional and allow shooting wide open. I am not a people shooter and we rent the camera with lenses very often with either the eMotion 54LV or 54H. The Pros are happy with the quality. The bottom battery is heavy and I use a belt battery now. We are waiting a smaller side battery later this summer.
Thierry of Sinar helped me a lot when I was trying to decide what camera to choose for multi-shot work.

BTW I can offer the M-system free for the members of this Forum if they need to shoot in Moscow. Welcome!http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/images/smilies/redface.gif

ALPA lenses: 35mm Digitar, 45mm. Alpar, 24mm Digitar. The 24mm was damaged and does not allow focusing. I sold my Helvetar and 60mm. digitars in 2007.

Rollei 6008 lenses: 90mm Makro, 3,5/40mm., 2.8/80AF, 2,8/180 AF. I am trying to find an AF version of the 150mm lens. I use the lenses on the HY6 Rolleiflex version with an un-revolving adapter. Unfortunately the HY6 does not support my 54H multi-shot (only eVolution 75H is supported).

Russia is a very strange market for digibacks and MFD. The dominating platform for professionals is Sinar (44H, 54H and 54M on all types of cameras, Contax is the most popular), Phase One became the DB of choice for younger generation of photographers (the owner of Moscow Academy of photography is the Russia PhaseOne/ ProPhoto dealer). Hasselblad H3D is very popular with amateurs.

Regards,
Yevgeny

Yevgeny, let me repeat:

eMotion 54LV
Sinarback 54H

ALPA
Rolleiflex Hy6:
Sinar-M:thumbup:

You must be hiding your Nikon D3 or in future D3x somewhere... and you know why, right?:clap:

Yevgeny, what about lenses for each system?

David K

Workshop Member
Hi Natasa,

I've noticed you use the same back. Can you capture and apply a custom grey card WB in/with the Phase or do you only have this option in post/C1

David,
I note this is your first post here and welcome you to the forum. I've seen your swimsuit shots over on LL (which were quite spectacular) and I'm sure the members here would love to see it as well. Also, always nice to have another David in the group.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Hi Natasa,

Morning and welcome to the forum. As far as custom WB you sure can still work in the same fashion. That combo would be very nice for fashion also. May want to even look at the new lens coming for Mamiya a 150 2.8 D lens expensive but maybe perfect for fashion.

BJNY

Morning and welcome to the forum. As far as custom WB you sure can still work in the same fashion. That combo would be very nice for fashion also. May want to even look at the new lens coming for Mamiya a 150 2.8 D lens expensive but maybe perfect for fashion.
Any reason not to consider the Hasselblad 150mm F2.8 (a nice focal length for beauty) if one has the adapter to fit the 110mm.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
If your shooting a Mamiya body why use stop down if you don't have too. Billy i shot fashion for years and even with 300mm lenses there are no set lenses for this type of work, I used everything from 28mm up. Just depends on what type of fashion you are shooting and the look your after. i love the compression of a 300mm lens . I also shot portraits with a 180mm F2 Apo Leica on my DMR which effectively is a 240mm.

woodyspedden

Back to the main thrust of this thread which is "why did you choose your back?"

I bought the P45+ even though I could make a case that I really don't need all those pixels as most of my prints are 22 x 30 or so. But for the past three or four years I find myself in an almost continual upgrade mode to get more resolution etc. So I decided to perhaps over-invest now but be able to keep and effectively use the system longer.

As important as the back was the body and system. I think the Phase inputs to Mamiya have resulted in a much superior body. The new focus system is far superior to the AFD II with a stronger motor and the use of three focus points. No doubt the AFD II was much slower and less accurate. The control layout is much more intuitive and very comparable to DSLR formats. Programmable buttons a la D3 allow the individual photographer to set up his tool to make the most sense to him. They have beefed up the digital processing board to increase speed of information. I suspect we will see lens corrections as a result of this capacity increase. The mirror damping is substantially improved to allow better images at slow shutter speeds. This had traditionally been the province of the H3D with the programmable shutter delay.

THe one feature change I don't understand was taking the EV control to the LCD and away from the body. They tried to discuss the positives of that move but I think they just needed the body space for what they considered more important functions. I liked having the mechanical switch which could be engaged without taking the eye away from the viewfinder.

I considered the Rollei, Sinar etc but the prices are just too high for me. The leaf is a good system but I can't imagine having to use a touch screen system in the field. As we all know the performance of LCD's in the sun is marginal for all but histograms. Indoors is fine but outdoors?........sheesh!

So for me it came down to Hassy H3D vs Mamiya Phase. I really loved the ergonomics of the H3D and the LCD screen is a definite improvement over the P45+. Since the sensors are identical the files are only differentiated by the firmware and most things are software correctable in PP. So finally it came down to a closed system vs an open one. I can use my P45+ on a shift camera like the Horseman, on a 6x7 format like the Mamiya RZ 67 Pro, and I can even use my V lenses alongside my FE lenses on the Mamiya system and not on the Hassy (at least not the FE lenses like my beautiful 110 2.0.

This turned out to be a longer analysis than I intended. Hope it helps someone else

Woody

David K

Workshop Member
I considered the Rollei, Sinar etc but the prices are just too high for me.
Woody
Woody,
While the list price of the Sinar Hy6 kit may appear high compared to others, there are deals to be had. I paid less for my kit than I was quoted for the P45+ and I got 5 years of warranty vs their 3. New Rollei glass is probably more expensive than the Mamiya counterpart but there are bargains to be had there as well. Witness the Rollei 110 f/2 that Willem just picked up on ebay for about the same price as you paid for your Hassy 110/2. Not suggesting here that you haven't selected the best kit for your needs... I know you're a diligent and savvy consumer, just pointing out that eliminating Sinar on the basis of price alone doesn't comport with my experience.

harmsr

Workshop Member
I'll start out saying that I mimick most of what Woody says and then expand on my specific points.

I wanted a very easy to use and intuitive system that I could just pick up and run with. For studio work, product photography, and outside strobe work of people or race cars/driver. The first system also needed to solve a DOF issue for me on product work for magazines, which meant that I wanted to mount the back on a technical camera. My other need was fast flash sync for the outside strobe work. MF became really needed when I got tired of shots being cropped and turned into a two page center in a magazine or a cover shot getting blown up to an 8ft. banner.

However, I also had a need for higher ISO, light weight, and fast shutter speeds without strobes in available light. I also needed a backup system for some work that I could not afford to have a system go down during.

This led me to needing both a leaf shutter and focal shutter system that would be different animals for different uses.

LCD screens, ergonomics, just plain simple ease of use, software/workflow, and dealer support also played big factors.

I ended up dealing with two dealers that were both great. Sean from Camera West for an H3DII39, and Lance from Capture Integration for a Phase system with a P30+. From what I've seen on this board, I would also have no hesitation with Steve at PPR. I'll also through another plug in here for David at Dale Photo in FL, who spent hours and hours on the phone with me when I was changing my lighting to add a battery powered location set.

I selected the H3DII39 for the resolution of 39MP to do product and large size print work. I really like the ergonomics of this body and how everything is hot buttoned on the body or very easy to find on the body LCD. The screen on the back is probably the best that I've seen in MFDB. This one meets my need also for the leaf shutter system where I can use strobes with a fast sync speed in daylight. It also provides me the option of using the 90 degree finder or a waist level finder. Phocus seems to be excellent so far, although I'm still learning all the tricks. The other bonus from workflow is that Aperture/OS X natively support the files. Photomechanic is also updating their program to support the Hassy files. I realize that it is currently restricted to ISO 400 but should get the update to 800 shortly. Since I needed a leaf system, I also saw David's Sinar in Puerto Rico but felt that workflow/software was not to my liking, I had a problem with it not just being intuitive in how to run, we could not really use the LCD screen for anything on the back, and I hit the buttons on the left side of the camera changing settings by accident. I do see great files from David's work, but it was just not for me.

Next I needed a light weight, fast focal plane shutter for high shutter speeds, available light work, higher ISO, lower cost, with good ergonomics and workflow. I was used to Capture One so this was easy. I used all of the Phase backs and the AFDII in Puerto Rico courtesy of Lance. Once again these were just pick the camera up and shoot ease of use. I did have some complaints on the body and lenses from ergonomics or the ease of adjusting focus on the lens manually for a tweak without having to change switches on the body, body the majority is being addressed in the new body and lenses. I have found the P30+ to excell at what I want it for and that it is faster in basically all aspects than the Hassy system.

Build quality of the camera systems, the Hassy just feels more rugged and precise. To lug around all day and use in available light, the Mamiya wins.

I'm really looking forward to putting both of these to work.

Best,

Ray

woodyspedden

Woody,
While the list price of the Sinar Hy6 kit may appear high compared to others, there are deals to be had. I paid less for my kit than I was quoted for the P45+ and I got 5 years of warranty vs their 3. New Rollei glass is probably more expensive than the Mamiya counterpart but there are bargains to be had there as well. Witness the Rollei 110 f/2 that Willem just picked up on ebay for about the same price as you paid for your Hassy 110/2. Not suggesting here that you haven't selected the best kit for your needs... I know you're a diligent and savvy consumer, just pointing out that eliminating Sinar on the basis of price alone doesn't comport with my experience.
David

I certainly understand that all of us negotiate with our dealers to get prices substantially different from list which got me the P45+ at a price I could (almost) afford. Steve Hendrix also worked hard to get me into the H3D but the results favored Phase so that is the direction I went.

I am sure you did the same with Sinar. You may have gotten the Hy6 cheaper than I got my Mamiya Phase system and if so I will kick myself for not at least trying to get there myself.

So please everyone, don't assume, based on my comments, that Sinar is necessarily more expensive than Phase or Hassy. It definitely is at the list price level and that is what I was referring to. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

Woody

elitegroup

David,
I note this is your first post here and welcome you to the forum. I've seen your swimsuit shots over on LL (which were quite spectacular) and I'm sure the members here would love to see it as well. Also, always nice to have another David in the group.
Thanks David for the welcome :)

Thanks Guy, once released I will have a look at the new Mamiya AF 150mm F2.8D it certainly looks promising :thumbup:

Re: Why did you choose your back?

In answer to Ray's question after researching and reading the MF forums I decided the open platform Phase One 645 & P30+ would be a good entry point for me. Listed at $22,490 for the kit and 80mm F2.8D it's also a fairly economical package.

I shoot in the studio & remote locations (beach & outback) quite often in low light so robust physical durability, reliability, intuitive operation and low noise capabilities are important to me. I looked at Guy's P25+ sample files at higher ISO's and they looked very good to me.

The P30+ microlenses help create cleaner images at higher ISO's and from what I've seen with good capture information and careful post processing ISO 400 can be very usable for commercial purposes.

I like the improved shutter lag, faster AF, clean, simple ergonomic feel of the Mamiya AFD III along with the better electronic integration between back, body & D Lenses. I also like the fact that Phase is supported world wide and when traveling if per chance is not available in an emergency I can use any other back on this open platform system. I like the Leaf Aptus 75s or 54s when capture speed (0.8 FPS) and stable multi monitor tethered shooting is required.

Another Plus for me is the ability to use the Hasselblad 110mm f/2.0 FE one of the nicest portrait lenses around and very fast glass for low light. I shoot fashion and with the 1.26 focal length factor of the P30+ this gives me an effective 85mm f/2.0 (in 35mm terms) equivalent allowing enough compression for beauty & full body shots while being short enough for shooting in tight spaces.

Once the European leaf shutter lenses are released for the Mamiya (and I hope/pray they're going to carry the CZ or Schneider brand name) I will have a versatile, open and complete system :clap: