Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: AFD MTFs?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: AFD MTFs?

Mitchell,
    I can tell you that I have no problems manually focusing either my AFD or non-AFD lenses, even wide open at f/2. As for the technical differences I'll leave that for others more qualified to debate.

thsinar

Hi Mitchell,

this is definitively only speculations. I would not worry as you do. First we have already a bunch of photographers shooting with the Hy6 on film, and they didn't complain about focus issues, secondly I believe that one simply has to take as a fact that AFD lenses are built for digital and that they are optimized for it. Why should this not be the case? In the contrary, it is good to know that one can do this.
    This being said, I believe and have trust in our technicians and R&D people to built a camera that is able to focus under each circumstance, being it with film or with a digital back.
    To re-assure you even more: most of my lenses for the Hy6 are either non-AF or AF lenses from my 6008. Up to now I did not have any problem.

Best regards,
    Thierry

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell View Post
    I'm afraid I'm still a little lost.

Given that one can focus at any distance within the range of a manual lens, it seems very unfortunate if only AFD lenses can focus with complete accuracy with a digital back because of some auto compensating mechanism. If we are just talking about the depth of the IR filter, there should be a way to compensate for that. It sounds as if with non-AFD lenses, you can focus with greater accuracy with film than with digital, just the opposite from what I would choose.

I think for the price of the camera, manual lenses with focus compensation should focus as well as AFD.

I know this is all speculation, and suspect I'm not understanding, but I'd like an explanation.

Best,

Mitchell

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Thierry,

You are probably right. It's just that based on what's been said ( a little knowledge is a dangerous thing), it's reasonable to suspect that non-AFD lenses will be out of focus by the depth of the IR Filter when using the digital back but right on when using film.

David, glad to hear you are seeing no problems.

Best,

Mitchell

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell View Post
    Thanks Thierry,

You are probably right. It's just that based on what's been said ( a little knowledge is a dangerous thing), it's reasonable to suspect that non-AFD lenses will be out of focus by the depth of the IR Filter when using the digital back but right on when using film.

David, glad to hear you are seeing no problems.

Best,

Mitchell
    Michell,

Sinar made these finer corrections in the AFD lenses for the digital backs because it may make a difference to some of their customers. Obviously, there is a difference, but as DavidK and Thierry say, the non-AFD lenses are good enough for most photographers with the current backs.

Perhaps the difference will become more apparent to more photographers with future backs and cameras. Otherwise, it would not make sense for a company to make such an engineering investment without realization of any difference at all, at least someday.

I also use some non-AFD lenses for now, but I look forward to more AFD lenses from Sinar. I think it is good for Sinar to strive for the best possible capability in their products, even if the improvement is subtle and incremental. Over some period of time, I do expect at least some of the non-AFD lenses to become obsolete because of the continued engineering improvements targeted for digital capture.

David

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thsinar View Post
    Hi Mitchell,

this is definitively only speculations. I would not worry as you do. First we have already a bunch of photographers shooting with the Hy6 on film, and they didn't complain about focus issues, secondly I believe that one simply has to take as a fact that AFD lenses are built for digital and that they are optimized for it. Why should this not be the case? In the contrary, it is good to know that one can do this.
    This being said, I believe and have trust in our technicians and R&D people to built a camera that is able to focus under each circumstance, being it with film or with a digital back.
    To re-assure you even more: most of my lenses for the Hy6 are either non-AF or AF lenses from my 6008. Up to now I did not have any problem.

Best regards,
    Thierry

Yes, well said Thierry. ALL of the lenses will work great on the Hy6, and the newer AFD lenses are made to work better with digital.

David

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Thierry and David,

I'm wildly speculating to kill the time between here and mid-July when I get to test drive a Hy6 and H3D.

The difference between anticipating and using a camera can't be overstated.

Best,

Mitchell

Post Thanks / Like

I hadn't thought about until now but some of the multishot backs might be able to take advantage of the tighter AFD lenses even though I'm not sure the single shots can.