The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

By brand sections?

PeterA

Well looks like we are developing a critical mass of users here which is great!
Am thinking that perhaps the next step would be to organise some sub categories by brand + Perhaps a general section for non brand specific issues.
Just thinking that that would make searches ( looking forward ) easier. Also brand specific information/contacts/softwre/accessories etc etc woudk be more easy to find and refer back to.As we are going a lot of great info is lost in threads.

Thoughts?

Pete

Last edited:

David K

Workshop Member
Don't know about that Peter... I suppose it has it's advantages but even though I'm a Sinar user I'm very interested in reading about the experience of others, whether they shoot Hassy, Phase, Leaf, etc. On the plus side we'd probably lose a bit of that excess emotion that pops up from time to time :)

BradleyGibson

I second that, David. Personally I'd like to know what's happening in the medium format community as a whole rather than having everyone split up by brand...

I find people's titles are usually descriptive enough to know if it's worth diving in.

Just my 2¢,
-Brad

T

thsinar

I agree with that as well, Brad and David.

Thierry

I second that, David. Personally I'd like to know what's happening in the medium format community as a whole rather than having everyone split up by brand...

I find people's titles are usually descriptive enough to know if it's worth diving in.

Just my 2¢,
-Brad

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'm all for one and one for all. I do like reading everything no matter what system . Plus guy's it would be kind of strange than folks over in the Nikon section would want to split D3 and D300 . Keep it simple I think is best. But Peter it is a good thought and we should always explore stuff like this.

Graham Mitchell

How would it make searches easier? Besides, there are too many combinations of camera brands and back brands. Would you split the forum by camera platform or backs?

Graham Mitchell

I hope you realise that when you take a group which has just reached 'critical mass' and divide it into 4 smaller groups, none of the new groups will have CM. Bad idea ;)

PeterA

yeah it is a bad idea ...Hasselblad has a pretty large user group I was reminded of again earlier this evening ..so its all good...no need to try an replicate what exists elsewhere.

lance_schad

Workshop Member
There are many brand specific forums out there.

Phase One has their "user to user" forum where they moderate ,and sometimes answer questions, but have made it a point that it is for users to communicate and support each other in an open fashion. It covers their multiple hardware and software products. It is also open to anyone, no need to be approved or have a login. For major support it is recommended that you go through the normal support channels of contacting your dealer and they will open a case.

I know when I was a reseller from Imacon/Hasselblad Nick T ran the Flexframe forums,which he moderated and I was active on. Mostly all the people if not all that were on this forum were Hassy owners. Now I think this has evolved into another site http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.com/ . From the welcome message:
"There are two levels of membership on the hasselbladdigitalforum.
As a basic member you are granted access to this board and the help board only. Basic membership is really just designed so that new users can quickly get access to help, without having to wait for full membership approval.
Owners of Hasselblad or Imacon digital backs will be upgraded to full membership once a moderator has reviewed your profile information. Please be patient as we currently have a great many profiles to approve.
Nick-T"
So this site is closed to people from what I have read in the bylines to all others except Hasselblad users.

I have found that many people enjoy looking around on the forums to gather information before making a purchase decisions and also educating themselves. So sites that have an open policy for the sharing of information are very important to the community.

In my opinion it may not be a bad idea to start sub-threads for specific users to gather and be observed especially if there is not open site for them to do this at.

Also I would like to see when a thread is started for a specific type of topic ie: iso test of a specific topic, that it not be interjected with other products that may detract from the original topic.

Just my 2 cents.
L
Lance Schad
Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
305-394-3196 cell | 305-534-5702 office
Capture Integration
My Blog
[email protected]

T

thsinar

Lance,

That might be very difficult: have you ever found one thread not deviating or not being interjected with questions/issues not a 100% related to the OP's initial post?

Should it become or would it be so, then I see the ideas exchange and the amount and quality of the information shared decrease to a very poor level.

I, in the contrary, find it very useful to be able to raise other/new questions from discussions on a given topic, open the discussion to new horizons and should a particular question become such important in this thread, there would still be time then to start a new thread with it.

Do you have any specific thread in mind which was "polluted" by another product and detracted from its original topic?

Best regards,
Thierry

Also I would like to see when a thread is started for a specific type of topic ie: iso test of a specific topic, that it not be interjected with other products that may detract from the original topic.

Lance Schad
Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
305-394-3196 cell | 305-534-5702 office
Capture Integration
My Blog
[email protected]