The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sinar Workflow

Rethmeier

Hi Rainer,
good to see you here on this Forum.
There are a lot of USA Sinar"folks" that need some PRO support.
Regards,
Willem.

R

rainer-v

although i enjoy sharing things i know, its difficult to be active in more than one forum for me because it eats so much time......, so my presence here will not be very contant.
but sometimes i like to jump in with some comment.... thank you all for the very nice words.

David K

Workshop Member
I spent most of the day yesterday with Steve Hendrix and Dave McRitchie from Sinar in Orlando yesterday to pick up my new replacement back and get a little tutoring in Exposure software. Thought I'd share my initial impressions of the back and some insights I got with respect to Exposure. First off, the revolving adapter is sweet... works like a charm and obviates the need to remove the back in order to switch to portrait orientation. This is particularly important when shooting with WLF as rotating the camera is not a viable option. Second, I had a chance to look thru the new 45 degree finder. Let's just say I ordered it on the spot. It's probably the brightest prism finder I've ever used. The 90 degree finder wasn't available for inspection but for the way I like to hand hold this camera (left hand underneath for support), the 45 suits me better. Also, the 90 degree finder is similar to the WLF in that the image is reversed and even though I've gotten accustomed to working that way I prefer it not to be. On to the back itself. The screen is larger which is very nice since it makes the menu items so much easier to read, especially with the increased resolution. It's still nowhere near what you get with the Nikon D3 but it's a very significant improvement from the older screen. It also seems to be much quicker in displaying the menu items probably due to some upgraded electronics that Thierry mentioned. I did a quick and dirty ISO 800 test and compared one image taken from the old back and one from the new but the test was poorly done and, frankly, I'm not much interested in opening that discussion again. I'll try it at my leisure at higher ISO's another time. As far as Exposure goes, Dave McRitchie opened my eyes to what this software is capable of doing and gave me a bit of a different insight into what it is and isn't designed to do. Shooting tethered with Exposure via Live View is amazing. I don't have a frame of reference to compare it to other software which does the same so can't make any comparisons. I will say that it's not intended to be a substitute for Lightroom, Aperture, or Photoshop. It's more RAW conversion, tethered shooting software and what it does, it does well. Steve and Dave were great to spend time with and they really know their stuff. Had the pleasure of meeting Jim Stone and Ben Tanner while there. Always nice to be able to put a face to a name that you've seen online.

David K

Workshop Member
Jim is on the brink... I was afraid to sneeze for fear of pushing him over :) BTW, an added treat at this studio presentation was getting to see the Broncolor Para in action. I've read about this online but never saw one up close and personal. This thing is just freaking amazing !!!!!!! Out of the question for me to buy one (size, weight and price) but the new Mobil A2R may wind up in my kit. Surprisingly affordable for Broncolor and I really love the petite size of the head.

Jim Stone

Workshop Member
Guy,

We had a good time meeting Steve and David and picking their brains. Like David, Guy, I really like the Schneider glass and the HY6, but will await his continued testing (and hopefully Sinar will listen to improve a number of things on the camera) before deciding on a camera path. Steve did a great job of demonstrating the camera and software. Many thanks to him for that. So while I may be on the brink, I'll "try" to stay on the edge until Photokina. :D The one sure thing is the Alpa. :thumbs:

But Guy, you've heard that before and told me NOT to bite that hook ! :lecture: Of course as usual I'm not listening, but YOU will already have swallowed it !! :ROTFL: :clap: :thumbs: So will hear all about it now from both you and Peter ! :angry:

Jim

PeterA

Jim,

Looks like there are a coupel of other Alpa shooters who haev become forum members now..I am sure Guy will suddenly discover the ultimate wide angle shooters machine - when he gets his Alpa!! LOL
I will bet - that ALL MFD back users on here - will ultimately end up with an Alpa or equivalent in their kit.
The Schenider/Rodenstock lenses are that good.

Not a dumb idea to start with Alpa actually - you may not need anything else for your MFD back - just make sure you get a full frame version of a back - so you get to use the lenses without being cropped into silliness.

No camera has ever given me so much simple pleasure.

Pete

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The Alpa really has me thinking . Just waiting for Lance to figure it all out for me with price and such.I also asked him to come up with a nice TC package for forum members here. I think there are some things you don't need on them and save some money. One is the external finder from Alpa is 1200 dollars , you could buy the Horseman for half that. Or like we use on the M8 the Zeiss 25/28 external finder . My worry there is you can get your face over the back to see okay. Have some answers next week on what I am going to do. It is between this and a Mamiya 28 but I know the Alpa solution is overall better optics

David K

Workshop Member
I think Peter's probably right on the money that more than a few will wind up with Alpa. I've had my eye out for a used kit and they're pretty rare.

BradleyGibson

The thing that has kept me away from adding an Alpa TC to my kit is the focus guesstimation. It seems like such a shame to have such fantastic optics placed in front of a MFDB, and then have to guess at proper focusing.

I wouldn't mind a rangefinder finder whose distance information I manually transfer to the lens or some such... Have I missed something? What types of shooting do the Alpa folks out there do (or plan to do)?

Best regards,
Brad

David Klepacki

Bradley, you are correct. For untethered critical focusing with the Alpa, you can focus on ground glass, using a loupe, and swap in your back for the shot. I believe with the Hasselblad V mount, you can use their reflex finder, but am not sure such an option exists for other mounts. Of course, the Alpa is great for infinity work or especially when you can shoot tethered to ensure that you actually get the shot correct. I also think some of the Leaf back users are able to use those large 6x7 screens to assist focusing in the field, but it still requires some trial and error.

I think a lot of architectural shooters like to use the Alpa, as do folks who need to create larger images by stitching, using the larger image circles of the lenses that are available for it. It is not exactly the tool of choice for fashion, wedding or event photography. However, as a fine art photographer, you might like to add it to your arsenal.

David K

Workshop Member
A question came up about the difference between the Brumbaer and Exposure conversions so i thought I'd take the same file and process it twice. The appearance of the files is quite different but I'm quite sure both files can be processed to look identical. Nevertheless, I prefer the Brumbaer starting point, at least for this file. No adjustments to these files whatsoever, just converted to TIFF's in Aperture and resized in CS3.

Guy Mancuso

Looks like the color temp changed to cooler in the bottom one and actually maybe correct . Looks to me like a 400 kelvin shift. David can you tell if that happens with the different converters

Guy Mancuso

The Alpa viewfinder is worth every cent - to me anyway.
I did NOT need you to say that. LOL Trying to avoid that 1200 dollars. I actually bout a Zeiss 25/28 finder from the M8 . i will try that first. lenses are what may kill my Alpa purchase.

David K

Workshop Member
Looks like the color temp changed to cooler in the bottom one and actually maybe correct . Looks to me like a 400 kelvin shift. David can you tell if that happens with the different converters
Aperture indicates that the Brumbaer conversion has a lower temp than the Exposure version but it doesn't look that way to me. Looks like a different profile and reminds me of the Joseph Holmes profiles that I've used in the past.

T

thsinar

David,

it all depends with WHICH "Color Matrix" you have processed this in Brumbaer.

Best regards,
Thierry

Aperture indicates that the Brumbaer conversion has a lower temp than the Exposure version but it doesn't look that way to me. Looks like a different profile and reminds me of the Joseph Holmes profiles that I've used in the past.

David K

Workshop Member
Quite right Thierry, these were with the D55 setting. I think I'll explore some of the others next time.

R

rainer-v

with the wides as the 24/28/35mm lenses sometimes the brumbaer conversion overcorrect the falloff of the images, although the white references of this are 100% correct ( i see this effect in your image ).

it looks as this appears because the light hits the sensor or the lense in another angle if using the diffusor than later with the real shot.
in this cases i make two conversions. one with vignetting correction "on" and a second one with vignetting correction "off" ( you have to write two sets of whiteref files therefor ).
if i layer this two shots i can blend the vignetting to the desired amount in photoshop.
the results are looking much better than with the "normal" software vignetting- plugin tools in postpro or in the raw konverters.