Site Sponsors

Thread: just a question

LStRomain

just a question

Thanksgiving weekend I made my first tentative foray into the medium format world, I purchased a Mamiya Pro TL off of ebay which included several film backs, 80mm 2.8 lens. I also have a 120mm lens. Supposibly this camera can take a digital back, but which one? the body is old enough that it is hard finding info on it. Or should I be happy playing about with the camera the way it is and when I decide to go digital, look for a different body?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: just a question

It would require a back with a trigger cable from the PC synch port. However, you can buy an original AFD1 body for very cheap now (like under $300) and that will allow current Mamiya DB's to mount directly without cables, AND the best part is your existing two lenses will work on it, albeit in fully-manual stop-down mode.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

LStRomain

ok, I'll have to keep an eye out for an AFD body Thanks!

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's a crying shame that very few options existed for the Pro TL for digital back use. I started with this system on film and found it to be a better built and nicer system to use compared to the 645AF & AFD successors, particularly as a landscape shooter using the manual glass. The Pro TL was much better built that the somewhat plasticky af version and lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Louise,

I'm getting closer to setting a date for a photographers get-together at my place in Jan or Feb. If you want to see difference between dslr and my mf, bring a couple of cf cards and your camera and we can set up a group or individual studio shot. New laminate floor finally down in camera room and salesroom and hope to have production and prop room done in a week or so.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Schneider View Post
    Hey Louise,

I'm getting closer to setting a date for a photographers get-together at my place in Jan or Feb. If you want to see difference between dslr and my mf, bring a couple of cf cards and your camera and we can set up a group or individual studio shot. New laminate floor finally down in camera room and salesroom and hope to have production and prop room done in a week or so.

Keep me in mind when you send out the invitations

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Valentin View Post
    Keep me in mind when you send out the invitations
    Sure. I did this two years ago. It was a good day. We got into a little discussion of lighting and posing and it was amazing that some successful studio owners did the same basic pose so differently. It was optional, but some people brought a set of images and we put them together to make a slideshow that ran when we sat down for some pizza for lunch. I'm still feeling my way around some of the controls for H3d2 so I'd love a lesson from you!

Post Thanks / Like

...I'm still feeling my way around some of the controls for H3d2 so I'd love a lesson from you!
    Since I don't have the Hassy, I'm not sure I'm the right person to teach ... although I slept at Holiday Inn the other night

LStRomain

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    It's a crying shame that very few options existed for the Pro TL for digital back use. I started with this system on film and found it to be a better built and nicer system to use compared to the 645AF & AFD successors, particularly as a landscape shooter using the manual glass. The Pro TL was much better built that the somewhat plasticky af version and lenses.
    I did see this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT on ebay ... just not sure if it would be worth taking a chance on, especially since it looks like it needs a computer to work.
    So far, I've liked my landscape images the best out of what I've taken with the Pro TL.

LStRomain

Hey Louise,

That's great, its about time you got that floor done! I will make sure I bring my camera and cards along

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sure. I did this two years ago. It was a good day. We got into a little discussion of lighting and posing and it was amazing that some successful studio owners did the same basic pose so differently. It was optional, but some people brought a set of images and we put them together to make a slideshow that ran when we sat down for some pizza for lunch. I'm still feeling my way around some of the controls for H3d2 so I'd love a lesson from you!
    As I know that camera, I can be available via phone ...

Be sure you have a good FW cord for tethered studio work ... and don't accidentally roll a stand over it either

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Marc,

I should have more time to put into learning your old friend this month. Workflow speed is a bit of an issue (which could be partially solved with a faster computer) if I use it on seniors, but thinking it might make more sense to just use it for families and groups or higher end work.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Marc,

I should have more time to put into learning your old friend this month. Workflow speed is a bit of an issue (which could be partially solved with a faster computer) if I use it on seniors, but thinking it might make more sense to just use it for families and groups or higher end work.
    Just use Lightroom for the volume work. I do most weddings that way ... and use Phocus for more critical work. If there is a specific image that would benefit greatly from Phocus, I take that file into Phocus also.

RE: computer ... sometimes the only upgrade a computer needs is a better Graphics card which isn't all that expensive. My three year old mac was a bit pokey so I upgraded the graphics card to the best one it would take, and all was well.

-Marc

LStRomain

Quote Originally Posted by LStRomain View Post
    I did see this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT on ebay ... just not sure if it would be worth taking a chance on, especially since it looks like it needs a computer to work.
    So far, I've liked my landscape images the best out of what I've taken with the Pro TL.
    according to the seller, the cable that is needed is the one that goes from the camera to the computer; how difficult would such a cable be to get?