The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Landscapes cameras

johnnygoesdigital

I love landscapes, cameras such as the Fuji GX617 or the Linhof 617SIII are popular for this style, but I want to be able to attach my H4D back to such a camera. I know the Horseman SWD II provides a close alternative, but can't find many samples. I don't really need T/S, as nature's lines are not as strict, as in architecture. Being somewhat portable and possibly handheld is a plus too. Does anyone have any photo samples of the SWDII, they can share?

Don Libby

I looked at Horseman cameras in 2009 as i began my migration into technical cameras and while I generally liked what I saw I had a slight concern regarding their movements. While their movements were comparable the Cambo they weren't geared which was what I wanted. I felt then and still do that geared movements would allow me a much better chance of repeatability. Thus I choose the Cambo WRS1000. While a Cambo WDS is of the same general quality it is nevertheless huge when compared to the Horseman SWD or Cambo WRS1000.

I just finished doing a Google on Horseman and sadly the only site that I could find was in Japanese. While B&H, Adorama both sell Horseman cameras it always nice to go to the manufactures site and be able to gleam additional information that store leave out. I'm not sure whether Horseman has made their movements geared or not thus can't help in that regard so I'd still recommend the Cambo WRS1000.

Hope this helps

Don

thomas

- do you want to use a groundglass (if only occasionally) for composition or just a viewfinder?
- will you use it mostly handhold? or mostly on a tripod but still want to shoot handhold occasionally?

if you don't need a groundglass, I'd take a look at an Alpa TC (that doesn't provide any movements) or the new STC. Not quite sure whether or not there is GG for the STC (I guess not) but in any case it's extremely small and light and still offers some movements on 1 axis; so either lateral or vertical (when mounted/hold 90° rotated). Great little camera!
The Cambo WRS is easily handholdable but you still can use it with a groundglass; it also provides a viewfinder so you have the choice (basically similar to the Horseman). It provide 4-way shift on the rear with quite large movements. It's a very versatile and clever designed camera.
The Arca Rm3D might be also handholdable but the focus mount... which is absolutely great in general... is maybe a bit cumbersome to handle when handhold. On a tripod this isn't an issue of course.
For handheld shooting IMO the quality of the attachable finders come into play. Me personally I'd rate them (in particular with regard to distortion + brightness):
1: Arca | 2: Alpa | 3: Cambo | 4: Horseman (IMO almost unusable)

johnnygoesdigital

Excellent start, thank you! The Alpha 12 TC seems perfect in terms of size. I don't need a ground glass, the viewfinder is perfect. How does one power the "H" back with any of these models?

thomas

Excellent start, thank you! The Alpha 12 TC seems perfect in terms of size.
probably unbeatable in terms of size and weight.
You are saying you won't need shift to shoot landscapes. However I'd suggest to think about the STC (or something similar) especially for landscapes. When you move the sensor inside the large image circle of the lens you are increasing the field of view. Therefore a given lens will also cover a wider view. For instances the 47XL or 43XL will translate to the field of view of a 35mm or 28mm lens when stitching.
Of course stitching is not always applicable ... but very often it is.
Now... less lenses in the bag will reduce the weight (and the cost) of your kit...
Just a thought ...

johnnygoesdigital

I'll take another look at the STC, as these are good points about T/S. I'm new to this style and still not sure how to power the digital capture unit.

thomas

I'll take another look at the STC, as these are good points about T/S.
I was refering to "S" (shift). Dick to "T" (tilt). If you want Tilt with wide angle or moderate wide angle lenses Alpa is not the way to. Question is: do you really want Tilt?
If so you should consider another camera platform. For instance the above mentioned Cambo WRS provides tilt/swing lens panels for almost all focal lengths. It's also a great camera and easily handholdable (I use one).

still not sure how to power the digital capture unit.
I am not familar with the Hasselblad system but AFAIK you need an external source that powers the backs through firewire. Apparently there are quite small and lightweight solutions. However it's still a separate external device - not exactly practical when shooting handheld. Phase und Leaf backs work with batteries attached to the digiback; so no trouble at all with handheld shooting.
AFAIK - again not sure - Hasselbald will change (or have already changed) the design on their latest digibacks.

Maybe Hasselblad photographers don't read a "Landscape Cameras"-Thread... (just kidding) ... so just start a new thread re powering Hassy backs and "fotografz" or "Nick-T" or someone else will certainly reply quickly.

johnnygoesdigital

Thomas,
Thanks for the input, I did, in fact, start a new thread. When first reading about Phase DB's using their own battery source, I thought, that's not very convenient, but now after looking at these other field cameras, how easy it must be to just swing a Phase back onto any one of the cameras I mentioned. Hmmm.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
When first reading about Phase DB's using their own battery source, I thought, that's not very convenient, but now after looking at these other field cameras, how easy it must be to just swing a Phase back onto any one of the cameras I mentioned. Hmmm.
You might also want to look at Leaf backs too. I have both Leaf and Phase One backs and for technical cameras I'd have to say that the Leaf integration and UI is the better of the two. Number one reason is the lack of the need for a wake up signal with the Leaf (You can also do this with the Phase One back but at the expense of heat/noise build up). I mostly use a P40+ now with a Kapture Group One Shot cable but it's klunky compared to the simplicity of the Leaf bullet proof interface.

dick

I am not familar with the Hasselblad system but AFAIK you need an external source that powers the backs through firewire. Apparently there are quite small and lightweight solutions. However it's still a separate external device
AFAIK - again not sure .... Hasselbald will change (or have already changed) the design on their latest digibacks.

Maybe Hasselblad photographers don't read a "Landscape Cameras"-Thread...
There is a battery pack (attached, external) for the Hasselblad 39, and there is (or will be) one for the 60. I do not know about other models.

thomas

I have the H4D/ 40
the sensor of the H4D/40 is microlensed. Basically that means this back is not really usable on a tech camera... at least limited. The digital large format lenses are sitting quite close to the sensor so the steep angle of the light hitting the sensor will introduce heavy vignetting. But it probably also depends on the focal lenghts you are using. Wide angle most likely won't work.
Maybe the sensor of the H4D/40 is better suited for use on a tech camera than former microlensed sensors... I don't know. But I suggest to talk to your dealer to work through appropriate and proven options.

f8orbust

Front T/S is generally used for focus trickery, rear T/S for perspective tweaking. That said, asymmetric rear tilt was what I used for bringing everything into focus, and it was my favourite camera movement bar none. As Joe Cornish says, using asymmetric rear tilt almost feels like cheating.

For landscape photography we're generally looking for tack sharp images from the camera position to infinity. As much as I hate to admit it (coming from the old school world of one-shot 'forgiving' 5x4 film), to get absolutely optimal front to back sharpness in a scene using a MFDB, focus stacking is the only game in town.

dick

the sensor of the H4D/40 is microlensed. Basically that means this back is not really usable on a tech camera... at least limited. The digital large format lenses are sitting quite close to the sensor so the steep angle of the light hitting the sensor will introduce heavy vignetting. But it probably also depends on the focal lenghts you are using. Wide angle most likely won't work.
Maybe the sensor of the H4D/40 is better suited for use on a tech camera than former microlensed sensors... I don't know. But I suggest to talk to your dealer to work through appropriate and proven options.
The Hassy 39, 50 and 60 backs are multi-micro-lens free, and the Sinar 86h has Multi-micro-lenses, but is supposed to be OK up to 35 degrees... so it would not be good for extreme (25mm) shift on an Apo-Digitar 47 XL.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Has anyone set up an auto-focus stacker for landscapes?

The Stackshot system is mostly for macro, but it could be used on the rear standard of a view camera.
I've used the Helicon Focus Remote application a few times to drive my Nikon both indoors and also for landscapes. It's a real pain to have to tether a laptop to drive the AF lens when outdoors but it certainly does work.

As regards moving the standards of a view camera I guess it should work in theory but you'd need quite a beefy modified view camera with the stepper motor. I'm sure that the more you look into it the less practical it would become. With macro at least you're moving the entire camera ...

I use focus stacking with my Alpa & Phase One kit in MF mode but that's very much a manual refocusing process. If you put in the efforts the results are excellent and somewhat negates the need for tilt/swing, at least if you're looking for lot's of DoF as opposed to more creative uses.