Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: MF street shooter pack?

Natasa Stojsic

Re: MF street shooter pack?

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    I posted a blog article about this very topic a couple of months ago. I took the tongue-in-cheek approach using this gear to defend the relatively low cost of Leica M equipment to non-believers. Good for a laugh I suppose. Here is the link.

etrigan63, ALPA TC is really small, as I said before... ALPA TC is actually the lightest Digital MF Solution out there with the best Lenses that you can afford to buy!!! This is why I refer to it as TC/39mp Leica

Thanks for the link

PS: Bob, small enough???

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Anyone know what the charge is to convert a existing lens into the Alpa mount. i know the price may vary but just a idea would be great
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

$600 to $800

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Billy. Not so bad the expensive part for me looking at all this. The darn special grip for my Phase back is 1200 . i think for me to do this I would just get the finger grip at less than 200 and just use my existing cord from Phase at 80 dollars . Than later maybe add the grip when money allows. It certainly is a appealing idea.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well I listed my Horseman, I'm nuts but I think i am better off with the Mamiya 28mm or one of these Alpa's which i can't afford right now but would love to get one. Lenses are killer expensive

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy:

Are you forgetting that the lenses are too slow except for bright daylight shooting in the street?

The next time you need to shoot the interior or cockpit of a plane, the shift of the Horseman would be handy.

Robert

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robsteve View Post
    Guy:

Are you forgetting that the lenses are too slow except for bright daylight shooting in the street?
    This is where good high ISO performance is really needed. Large apertures and their shallow DOF are not always what you want.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No worries mate just buy a second wider lens. LOL No i have someways to get around that. Actually a 24mm FF 35mm is perfect . 35mm on a P25 is I think 24 or 25.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by foto-z View Post
    This is where good high ISO performance is really needed. Large apertures and their shallow DOF are not always what you want.
    yes i have a easy ISO 400 and a very good 800 from what i seen so far. This is has several uses for me. The lens on this are better than anything i can buy in wide on the Mamiya. i can also hook up a focusing aid too or tethered. I'm not much of a stitcher person.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bradhusick View Post
    Okay, this should be an easy one for Guy and Jack, as well as others here.

Suppose you're an M8 shooter who loves street shooting, most often with 28, 35 and 50 lenses. You never shoot landscapes, macro, sports or wildlife. You want portability, light weight and the ability to quickly compose, focus and shoot...

BUT...

you're interested in the great files that MF provides. Here's the question:

For this shooter, what's the best MF combo of back, body, lenses and accessories? Have at it!

Thanks,
    Brad
    Brad,

Mamiya 6 or 7 or an old Rolleiflex and a good scanner (you're welcome to drop by the studio and check out my Imacon sometime) and/or lab/scan house. I know that this is not the answer you wanted but for portability and equation to an M the Mamiya 6 or 7 can't be beat. Yes, you have to deal with film (oh the horror, the horror) but you're also not stuck with 30,000 worth of gear that can only shoot at f8! The 6/7 are super quiet (way quieter than a Leica) and have amazing lenses for them esp on the wide end. An old Rolleiflex is the ultimate in stealth because people are no longer used to you looking down in a camera. Very disarming.

For wide the Hasselblad SWC is a good choice - might also be an option for digital not thought about here. You still have to hyperfocus but you get a lot of leeway. I recommend the C/V finder for it.

Some things film is still king and that is portable, full frame, leaf shutter medium format. If someday we were able to get a Mamiya/Fuji style rangefinder in digital and/or a Rollie TLR my life would be complete.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Charles,
    I tend to agree. My grandfather and dad always shot with a Rolleiflex. I have a 35mm film scanner (Nikon 5000 ED) and the results I get from that are amazing. I have two Leica film bodies and a Nikon F3HP that I regularly use in addition to digital.

I just think that in medium format, there are too many compromises today to make a street shooter happy, even if you ignore price. Either this market is too small for manufacturers to address, or MF is really unnecessary when street shooting. After all, look at most famous street photos and you could print them with a 4 MP camera. In that case, my M8 is 2.5X more powerful than it needs to be.

-Brad

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

it is hard to beat the tiny "snick" of the rollei shutter, plus you get that waist level point of view, which is very interesting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Plus, the Rollei TLR is possibly the coolest looking camera of all time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bradhusick View Post
    Charles,
    I tend to agree. My grandfather and dad always shot with a Rolleiflex. I have a 35mm film scanner (Nikon 5000 ED) and the results I get from that are amazing. I have two Leica film bodies and a Nikon F3HP that I regularly use in addition to digital.

I just think that in medium format, there are too many compromises today to make a street shooter happy, even if you ignore price. Either this market is too small for manufacturers to address, or MF is really unnecessary when street shooting. After all, look at most famous street photos and you could print them with a 4 MP camera. In that case, my M8 is 2.5X more powerful than it needs to be.

-Brad
    I think it is a matter of price/function. Most street/editorial shooters can't afford MF digital and therefore MF manufacturers have no incentive to gear cameras towards them. They're not the ones getting the $10k day rates. Heck, even in film the Mamiya 7 is about the last one standing for street shooting (if you don't count the Rollei reissues) and I think anyone at this point would be crazy to buy MF film gear new. If Nikon does come out this summer with their 24mp model then you'll probably see even more dumped on the used market. Though in my opinion no matter how high the resolution goes in 35 it's still 35. It's the format and depth of the lenses (and even style of working) that makes MF different.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Broad sweeping generalization, but the old axiom, "Horses for courses" holds pretty well IMO...

Sure you can shoot street with a 4x5 view camera and you can shoot architectural images with a P&S camera. And for the sake of "art", you can shoot any subject with any camera; in fact doing so may increase your work's desirability! The most likely scenario for most of us however, will be that using something tailored to the task is probably going to yield the more desirable result...

Since the thread is street specific, and MF specific, I'll add my own thoughts... First off, I think the best camera for true street shooting is the Leica M. I won't bother reiterating all of its virtues for this use, just search threads here and you will find innumerable references. In addition, I have shot with just about every camera ever made, and IMO MF is at a serious disadvantage on the street. The best MF camera I ever had for street was the Mamiya 7 with 43 and 80mm lenses, but the glass is slow at f3.5 or f4.5 maximum aperture, and you are limited to 10 frames on a single roll of 120 -- few enough you are re-loading your camera frequently, and more often than not, you run out of frames just at a key "Kodak moment." I think one could fare with digital MF a bit better, especially using a zone-focused shorter lens on a small body like the Alpa, but unless your subject happens to be at the precise point of focus, your images won't likely garner any significant added image quality over a properly focused M8 file...

Again, not saying it can't be done as it certainly can, but put me solidly in the camp of horses for courses
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Everything is practice..Alpa with LeafAptus75 and Schneider35mm ..

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    but unless your subject happens to be at the precise point of focus, your images won't likely garner any significant added image quality over a properly focused M8 file...
    That does seem to be a very significant point, if you are going to go to all the cost and inconvenience the question has to be is the advantage going to be worth it given the above? I thought the Alpa would make far more sense as a landscape/travel camera than a street shooter.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

cameras are just cameras. Some of my favourite landscapes are with my M8 Imaybe I am just weird..
    Last edited by PeterA; 5th August 2008 at 05:37.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    cameras are just cameras. Some of my favourite landscapes are with my M8 Imaybe I am just weird..
    Peter

I don't think so at all!!! I have been very fortunate that I have gotten quite a number (probably more than I deserve) of landscape keepers with the M8. I think the file quality is so very good that perhaps it is not such a surprise.

However after really practicing, I find the files from my H3DII-39 to be compellingly good, compared to almost anything! Sometimes hard to come by and needs you to have practiced to the point of really understanding what the camera is capable of producing! But when you hit it.........WOW!!!! Now you understand why you paid the big bucks!

In any event, I have two rooms with walls filled with 22x30 framed images of Desert Southwest images which for the most part sing (to me!) When that happens, it doesn't matter which piano was best tuned for the evening's concert.

Woody

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wish there were something like the Mamiya 7! I have a ton of 16x20 and 20x30 prints from scans, and they look great. The ZD compares well, except obviously in equipment bulk.

It really lends itself to a different style though, one that contains a lot of detail and is fun to explore visually, like this, but looks a little clutted on a computer screen.

Make me a digital Mamiya 7 and I'd be like a pig in dirt!

Post Thanks / Like

Contax 645

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's the Phase and P45+ with the 80/1.9 lens ... the best $300 I've spent in MF land.

Kurt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Same combination ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kurt, great shots ---- but if you like that $300 Mamiya 80, you really need to try a Hassy 110 F f2 -- it will set you back about 4x to 5x the Mamiya lens, but oh man, is it ever worth it

Cheers,
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Brittenson View Post
    Make me a digital Mamiya 7 and I'd be like a pig in dirt!
    No kidding! Chuck Jones on this forum actually got his Leaf Aptus 75S back cobbled to his Mamiya 7 with a mock-up adapter, but it was never able to generate the finished product. Would have been ultra cool though... The only nit I have with the Mamiya 7 is the speed of the glass, but even at f5.6 that glass does have a special character.

Oh, and great images Jan!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the comment Jack, I've heard great things about the Hassy 110/2. Which version is the best to get? And, would I need to use stop down metering with the lens and an adapter?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Kurt:

You will have to use the lens in stop-down metering mode and will need an appropriate adapter to mount to your Mamiya. (But like the 80/1.9, the reason I own it is to shoot it mostly wide open or maybe down one or two stops max, and it is plenty bright to focus and meter directly at those apertures anyway.) I use a cheap eBay adapter ($90 FotoDiox) and it works fine, but many folks have commented it doesn't allow infinity focus on their Mamiya bodies, so be warned. Mamiya makes one that definitely is good quality and works well, but costs around $400 I think.

To the versions, and I am no expert, there are a few models of the Hassy 110 f2 lenses. First they are broken down by F or FE. The F version is the earliest, and there are at least two, the latter is marked with a red "T*" that indicates an improved lens coating. This is the model I have, and the version Jim Collum used above for the portrait of the elderly woman. The newer versions, and again there are at least two, are FE and have electronic contacts for the later FE bodies which add considerably to the used price --- and make no difference for your use whatsoever EXCEPT that apparently the very last version has an improved inner baffle to tone down flare somewhat. (I will point out I have not noted any serious flare issues with my version and am quite happy with the way it renders.)

Cheers,
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As usual, I agree with Jack on the 110 f2. I've had that lens for a few years now, and positively love it. Mine is an FE, having decided I wanted the later version because they changed the coating also from the version 2 F to the version one FE. The only flaring on my lens I really like, so can't see paying the extra for the version two FE myself. Kurt, tape that puppy down at f2 and simply forget it. Works great on my Contax, plenty of light with an f2 lens to focus, and you do not need to screw with anything on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kurt,
    The Hasselblad lens is very different from what you have accustomed to manually stopping down the aperture. The Hasselblad V lens has the lever to the left so that you can set the aperture you will shoot and without darkening the focusing screen until after you done your focus and at the same time you can push down the lever with your thumb. Thus it is a very fast way to shoot and unlike the Contax/Yashica and Mamiya 645 lens you are accustomed. If you need any help just email me and I will help you. I own 3 of these lens in Rollei mount now and it is my favorite lens along with the Hasselblad 2.0/110 lens. You will be happy with any version (there are 5 versions in the Hasselblad Mount and 2 in the Rollei mounts).

Best Regards,
    -Son
    ALPA (MAX, STC, TC) | CAMBO (Actus DB2, WRS-AE) | CONTAX | HASSELBLAD | LEICA | DB (CFV-16, CFV-39, IQ180, IQ360, IQ3100, P45+) | Lens (Canon, Fujinon, Leica, Nikon, Pentax, Rodenstock, Schneider, Zeiss)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack, Chuck and Son thanks for the great advice. I'm beginning to look around for a copy. Can anyone post a few images with the 110/2 and a Phase + back? I'd like to see what the bokeh looks like. Thanks much.

Kurt

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kurt, no doubt the 110 f/2 is a great lens and will give you remarkable images (especially portraits) when shot wide open. Be forewarned that the DOF with this lens wide open is extremely narrow making precise focus especially important. I love this lens and, like Son, have more than one copy of it, but it does present it's challenges.