Site Sponsors

Thread: Hasselblad V system question

Post Thanks / Like

Hasselblad V system question

I have been a reader of this good forum for sometime. I have a Hasselblad V system:503CW,100mm3.5 CF,120mm4.0 Marco CF, 50mm 5.6 CFFLE,and 350mm5.6CF. My question is should I upgrade the system with a ditgal back for the V or look at other systems? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Hasselblad V system question

If you are comfortable with the 500 system a CFV digital back for your camera is the logical step for you to take. If, however, you need autofocus the H system would be the way to go. The 39 or 50 will give you amazing images and will take advantage of your great existing CF lenses. I had the CFV16 and the images were absolutely stunning. The 39 or 50 would also take advantage of a larger image size and would be stunning to behold. A trip to your local Hasselblad dealer would be in order for a demonstration.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

You've got a significant investment in lenses, and you must be comfortable with manual focus. The expense of adding a 40 MPx digital back to the V-series body will be less than creating a comparable kit on an AF digital body. I'm using a P45+ Phase back on two Hasselblad V-series bodies and am very happy with the results. But your intended uses may be different. Rent or borrow to try it out. The Hasselblad V back can be used on most technical cameras, and there are inexpensive upgrade swaps available if you choose to upgrade later.

scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I started off with a 503CW and V96C combo, and then moved to an H3D and HC adapter so that I could use the V lenses. It was a good way to get into the system for me. It didn't take me long to realise that the newer H lenses delivered a better result for my purpose so I then started migrating to H lenses.
    Cheers,
    Jeff
    www.jeff-grant.com

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    If you are comfortable with the 500 system a CFV digital back for your camera is the logical step for you to take.
    I would say "a" rather than "the".

as in:

If you're comfortable with the 500 system a CFV digital back is a logical step for you to take.

Other logical steps: Leaf Valeo, Leaf Aptus, Leaf Aptus II, Phase One H, Phase One P, Phase One P+ series digital backs in a V-mount.

Of course I'm biased :-).

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
    Phase One Partner of the Year
    Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
    Newsletter | RSS Feed
    Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

All of those V series lenses also work extremely well on the Leica S2 with a V->S adapter. We've tested them all. Then, you could fold in some AF S glass if you found the need and/or desire.

I'm biased, too.

David
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

jamie123

I've never used this myself but if I were to use a Hasselblad 503CW with a digital back I'd definitely take a look at the rotating Leaf backs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    I've never used this myself but if I were to use a Hasselblad 503CW with a digital back I'd definitely take a look at the rotating Leaf backs.
    Phase One backs rotate... you just remove it , rotate and reattach. Easy.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Any of the Hasselblad CFV backs are the most logical move into MF digital capture.

They are the only backs made that do NOT require use of a sync cord from the lens to the back. They are the only backs designed specifically for your camera and look like the V flim backs. They are the only digital backs that will also work on a 200 series camera (with a minor modification of the camera body by Hasselblad).

As to other systems ... why? Is there a need you have that you can't use your V kit for?

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Marc. You said it better than I could, and I could not agree more.

Greg

vankou

Quote Originally Posted by dave massolo View Post
    I have been a reader of this good forum for sometime. I have a Hasselblad V system:503CW,100mm3.5 CF,120mm4.0 Marco CF, 50mm 5.6 CFFLE,and 350mm5.6CF. My question is should I upgrade the system with a ditgal back for the V or look at other systems? Thanks
    What are you going to be shooting? this is will determine your decision. Landscape and product is a good fit for the V system. I use it for fashion and beauty and it is a pain, but if you are not married to a bank, this is what you have to live with. But I am thinking about going to an autofocus system.

Evangelos

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

+1 for the CFV digital backs. Some good deals can be had on used CFV16s now. I have the CFV16-II and although I don't use it as much as I should.....the images are superb as others have mentioned. I just wish it was full frame square and 40mp.

If Dave is comfortable sticking with the V-system manual focus lenses etc, then there is really no need to switch to a different MFD system to get quality digital images from the 503CW etc. Dave -- do a search for CFV here and you'll find some threads with terrific CFV images from fotografz, jlm, jotloob and others (if you haven't already seen them).

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dave massolo View Post
    I think your decision should also take your specific needs into consideration. Assuming that by going digital you will want to keep your current way of working with the v camera.

If you use a waist level finder or a 45 prism and regularly shoot vertical frames (or vertical crops out of the square frame) then I would suggest that you look for a back that can either rotate or that provides a rotating sensor.

Or you can go with a square 16MP back, knowing that the X1.5 crop will make your lenses 50% longer

HTH, yair

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, if one likes the square format and method of shooting, be aware that the CFV/39 and CFV/50 meg backs can be shot square, providing up to a 38 meg square image, and the focusing screen provides dual format markings. No need to restrict yourself to 16 meg.

Phocus software is set up for this square option, and has new digital corrections for most CF, CFi and CFE Zeiss lenses for a level of image quality above the already excellent Zeiss optics.

-Marc

P.S., when Hasselblad announced the CFV/50 I instantly regretted selling all my V gear. I honestly thought they'd never go that big.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Your set of V lenses could work on a H system via adapters but you will only have manual operations no AF or auto exposure. If you are comfortable with the V system, stay with it, the CFV back is the most integrated solution for the V system both mechanical and software. They come in different price ranges, from the first 16 ~ $3500 used to the 50 ~ $13,995. Check the Hasselblad USA web site or your dealer for refurbished units with warranty.

The other option is to get a H system like the H4D - 31 kit for $13,995 and move into that system slowly. If you have been getting along with the V workflow, the CFV is the most logical choice. If you want to get AF and auto everything and deal with the learning curve of buttons vs dials then going tho the H is what I would recommend.
    Al Tanabe my website https://www.altanabe.com

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

of course moving to the H means you don't have to wind to cock the shutter

tetsrfun

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    of course moving to the H means you don't have to wind to cock the shutter
    It's a lot cheaper to add a CW winder (44105) to the 503. :>) The winder with the hand strap changes the 503 into a different camera.

Steve

jamie123

Aren't the CFV backs only mountable in horizontal orientation? That would mean that one would have to use the 90 prism for portrait orientation, right?

tetsrfun

Interesting that the CFVs are the "lead product" at hasselbladusa.com. Does anyone have experience with the CFV 50? With all of the "talk" about shimming backs on tec cameras, I find it hard to believe that manufacturing tolerances from 10-20-30 years ago on film cameras would be adequate for a 50.

Steve

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

the CFV 16 is square, the others are landscape orientation

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tetsrfun View Post
    Interesting that the CFVs are the "lead product" at hasselbladusa.com. Does anyone have experience with the CFV 50? With all of the "talk" about shimming backs on tec cameras, I find it hard to believe that manufacturing tolerances from 10-20-30 years ago on film cameras would be adequate for a 50.

Steve
    Steve,
    Interesting observation. I have not had focus issues with my CFV and 501CM in fact I had a loaner CFV back for a while and I also had no problems with focus. I do know that Hasselblad has a check to spec program for the V series for $99 which will align the body to specifications. The CFV I assume is shimmed to the exact film plane so assuming the camera body is in spec, then the sensor will be in the correct position.

On an SLR the alignment of the mirror is critical so that the focal point to ground glass = focal point to film plane. If both are = then the only variable is the magazine flange to sensor distance. With a tech camera, if the focusing ground glass is not at the same plane of the magazine then shimming is needed on the ground glass. Shimming a back to compensate for the ground glass would mean shimming the back when placed onto a regular camera again.
    Al Tanabe my website https://www.altanabe.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I should add that with my Phase One P30, I have no issues with hitting accurate focus with my Hasselblad 553ELX. I do however have an Acute-Matte D focusing screen with the split prism... that is pretty much a must.

My CFI and CFE lenses are very sharp.

Keep in mind, Capture One 6 also contains lens correction profiles for Hasselblad V lenses.

tetsrfun

Quote Originally Posted by Dolce Moda View Post
    I should add that with my Phase One P30, I have no issues with hitting accurate focus with my Hasselblad 553ELX. I do however have an Acute-Matte D focusing screen with the split prism... that is pretty much a must.

My CFI and CFE lenses are very sharp.

Keep in mind, Capture One 6 also contains lens correction profiles for Hasselblad V lenses.
    I have had good "luck" with my CFV but it does require more attention to the "details" and does involve some "luck". Some of that may be the expectations of focus for digital vs film. But a 16MP back with fat pixels vs 50MP with 6 micron may be a different situation.

Steve

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Any of the Hasselblad CFV backs are the most logical move into MF digital capture.

They are the only backs made that do NOT require use of a sync cord from the lens to the back. They are the only backs designed specifically for your camera and look like the V flim backs. They are the only digital backs that will also work on a 200 series camera (with a minor modification of the camera body by Hasselblad).
    Little history:
    The H5/H10/H20/H25 (H standing for Hasselblad) were also designed specifically for the V body (before Hasselblad bought imacon to make their digital backs) and was designed specifically to conform to the lines and feel of a V body (though not specifically to match the legacy of the film back).

The P series backs in a V mount conform nicely to the feeling of the V body in my opinion - but it's aesthetics and very much personal.

The lack of a cable is a huge benefit of the CFV backs. Though in my opinion if that's high on your priority list then you're focusing on the wrong thing as the cable or lack of cable sure ain't gonna make a lick of difference in the image. A piece of gaffe tape places that cable forever out of the way.

Long exposures, vertical/horizontal/square cropping, rugged design, versatile upgrade path, and Capture One are great reasons to consider a Phase One or Leaf direction.

If you want a back that can expose more than 20-30 seconds, mount vertically, and uses a software package that is used widely even by those who do not have to use it (Canon/Nikon/Leica) then there is good reason to believe that the CFV is not your "most logical move".

500 series and 200 series glass can be used via adapter on a Phase One DF, Phase One AF, Mamiya AFD1/2/3 bodies, or on a Cambo X-2 with any of those bodies.

If you want to use a 200 series body you should go with a CFV as it is the only game in town.

All that said - there are very few bad choices. Just make sure to actually TRY whatever system you're going to buy.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
    Phase One Partner of the Year
    Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
    Newsletter | RSS Feed
    Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Re: Hasselblad V system question

Does anyone have experience with the CFV 50? With all of the "talk" about shimming backs on tec cameras, I find it hard to believe that manufacturing tolerances from 10-20-30 years ago on film cameras would be adequate for a 50.
    I use a CFV-39, the immediate predecessor of the CFV-50, on a 555ELD body and have had no focus issues whatsoever.

Precision optics were around long before digital imaging was invented. Ever hear of a microscope?

And manufacturing to sub-millimeter tolerances is almost equally ancient.

- Leigh

tetsrfun

Precision optics were around long before digital imaging was invented. Ever hear of a microscope?

And manufacturing to sub-millimeter tolerances is almost equally ancient.

tetsrfun

"Ever hear of a microscope?"
    Yes...I had to buy one for Medical School.

I have five "V" system bodies and about a dozen CZ lenses and a CFV back. I am just surprised that the 50 MP back doesn't have issues with sensor plane with a random "V" body while the latest Hasselblad H series backs are matched and aligned to a specific body.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'd love to hear what Dave Massolo, the OP, thinks of all these views. It's been quite awhile since I made the initial decision to buy a CFV-16 and the MFD world has come a long ways since then.

Post Thanks / Like

As much as I hate to admit it, I think in this day and age it would make more financial sense to buy the H4D-31 with CF lens adaptor pack. If I were to buy with my heart and not listen to my head, I'd totally push for a CFV back. There's nothing quite like a WLF and old style manual focus Zeiss glass.

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Re: Hasselblad V system question

I have five "V" system bodies and about a dozen CZ lenses and a CFV back.
    What's a CZ lens?

I am just surprised that the 50 MP back doesn't have issues with sensor plane with a random "V" body while the latest Hasselblad H series backs are matched and aligned to a specific body.
    The flange focal length of the body is set very accurately on the 500-series bodies. I have the factory jig and indicator for setting that dimension.

IIRC the tolerance is 0.025mm, but I'd have to go back to the manual to be sure.

The requirements for the H system are entirely different, because you don't expect a body to work properly with dozens of different backs.

- Leigh

Post Thanks / Like

I want to thank all of you for the great information on this subject. I will go to my local dealer and try the gear. Thanks Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here are some of the systems I tried out and got stuck with so watch what you about to enter as indicated in the title of this forums. All cameras are mounted with my favorite standard lens. Two cameras that should be included in the image but were left out are the Contax 645 and Rollei 6000 series. As indicated by the image, two of the cameras are still missing the digital backs and with some recent help two more backs are coming to complete the systems.

BTW. the image was taken with the Hasselblad 205FCC + 2.8/50 FE with the Imacon multishots digital back. I hope that you got all the informations I presented.

Best Regards,
    Son
    Last edited by PSon; 5th January 2011 at 01:10.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"Do a search for CFV here and you'll find some threads with terrific CFV images from fotografz, jlm, jotloob ," and bensonga aka Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pham Minh Son View Post
    "Do a search for CFV here and you'll find some threads with terrific CFV images from fotografz, jlm, jotloob ," and bensonga aka Gary
    Thanks Son. It was Marc's review of the CFV-16 and John's CFV images from the NYC naval ship yard that convinced me to give the CFV (503CWD-II) a try.....not sorry that I did, despite a few teething problems when I first received it.

That's an impressive collection of cameras in your photo above!

Gary