The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cropped Sensor Focusing screens

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I'm puzzled by this thread. When I had a P45 (crop format) it came with several clear, very thin, transparent masks with a bold black line demarcating the crop. You would place the mask on the focussing screen so as not to change its position for focus purposes.

Does Phase no longer supply these with crop format backs? Or am I missing something here?

Bill

PS the other solution is to use the P65+......

stephengilbert

Not only will Bill Maxwell add frame lines, but he can change them later when you buy that P65+. I bought a ground glass from him that he marked with the P25+ lines, and he told me I could send it back for remarking if I ever changed backs.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I'm puzzled by this thread. When I had a P45 (crop format) it came with several clear, very thin, transparent masks with a bold black line demarcating the crop. You would place the mask on the focussing screen so as not to change its position for focus purposes.

Does Phase no longer supply these with crop format backs? Or am I missing something here?

Bill

I like the P65+ solution but not the cost ;)

Phase One supply a bunch of little masks for 33x44 with the P40+ at least. Also, I did some research a while ago for an etched screen for the 645DF for 33x44mm and the information I got was that there are two screens available:

Mamiya:
252-22783A Focusing Screen Type A SP303 44x33 (Mfr number 324482)

Leaf:
252-22782A Mamiya focusing screen 44x33

They both come in a Mamiya box with tweezers, the only difference is that on the Mamiya one the mask is blacked out whereas on the Leaf it’s just an engraved line.
I have the Leaf version in my 645DF. I've never seen the 324482 version but I assume that's what's fitted to the DM28/DM40 from the factory. Maybe a DM user can confirm.

I'd too like a grey frame border if it is available. Maybe the Maxwell Precision Optics route is the one to go down.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Graham I will Have mine for the workshop so you can check it out. Heck I may just send my screen tomorrow to him. Not shooting the phase this coming week anyway

Terry

Bill

Yes but the THIN transparent lines don't keep me from forgetting that they are there :D.

Guy Mancuso

Bill I have the plastic masks that came with the back. Hate them . LOL

I do have a P40+ screen with lines in mine right now (a real screen). What i may do is call Bill tomorrow and try to ship him my screen and have him grey outside the crop lines so i don't see what is going on out there and add his brightening treatment as well. I'm not shooting my Phase next week anyway so maybe perfect timing to get this done.

thomas

I'm not shooting my Phase next week anyway so maybe perfect timing to get this done.
what do you do when you yet need the camera (for some unforeseeable reason)? What do you do when there is a delay (maybe not even on behalf of Bill M. but due to shipping or so). What do you do when the screen breaks while shipping?
Really... I would buy a second screen; i.e. I would order a new one from Bill Maxwell. You've used your screen for quite a while... one or two weeks more time with the old screen doesn't hurt. But no screen will hurt.

Guy Mancuso

I actually have 3 screens here. Not sure how I got them all but I actually have backup screens. Starting to scare myself. LOL

thomas

I actually have 3 screens here. Not sure how I got them all but I actually have backup screens. Starting to scare myself. LOL
okay... my reading was you just have 1 screen and as you don't need it this week you'd take the chance to get it modified by Bill M.
As you have more screens... no problem.
One can never have too many screens :)

RGoldman

An old thread but I was wondering if Guy or anyone else ever got the focusing screen from Bill Maxwell and if so, how do you like it? 99% of my work is manual focus and there are times when it's fairly dim in the studio and having to constantly turn on and off overhead lights is a pain.

Ron