The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Thoughts On My New H3D-II/31

fotografz

It arrived yesterday ... the promo priced H3D-II/31 repleat with an additional dealer discount.

Wahooo!

I made it to the next Circle of Hell.

Last edited:

Dale Allyn

Beautiful camera, but the manuals look a little tattered. But with the discount and all, probably shouldn't complain. :D

Congrats and cheers!

LJL

Dale,
As Marc has commented before, "you almost dun need no stinking manuals" with this system ;-)

Great looking new piece of kit, Marc. Congrats, and we know you will put it to great use.

LJ

fotografz

Dale,
As Marc has commented before, "you almost dun need no stinking manuals" with this system ;-)

Great looking new piece of kit, Marc. Congrats, and we know you will put it to great use.

LJ
Can't wait to do a job with it. Love the ISO 800 on this pup ... and very curious to see what 1600 will look like when it gets here.

LJL

Marc,
So what happened with the H3DII/39? Do you still have it, and the new pup is high speed sprinter to accompany it? Just curious...

LJ

mark1958

Marc will you shoot some examples with your H3DII-31 shifted on the rollei x act 2? THere are some readings about how tilts result in bad color casts but I have not seen any examples or a statement specifically about shifting.. M

fotografz

Marc,
So what happened with the H3DII/39? Do you still have it, and the new pup is high speed sprinter to accompany it? Just curious...

LJ
Yep, the H3D-II/39 is still humpin' I use that camera in the studio, and especially use the back on a Rollei Xact2.

I had sold my H3D/31 to Peter A and missed it almost immediately. I use the speedy 31 much like a DSLR, and now that I have this new one will probably sell the Canon 1DsMKIII and stick with Nikons for a wedding DSLR.

woodyspedden

Marc

Certainly I am a newbie when it comes to MFDB. So I won't attempt to fine tune what you have given all of us as an educator which is considerable.

What I will say is that my HD 39 II arrived today and after a swing through the manual and then step by step through the manual with the body in front of my I was totally up and running by the end of the afternoon. Wow.....i thought I would still be here for at least 24 hours trying to figure out how to work through all the possibilities. I am impressed. Hasselblad has done its homework on how to teach folks to get where they need to go.

Each system has its +'s and -'s and that will always be so. For me the H3D is great because it is a systems approach to photography. You could look at each and every feature of the H3 and its competitors and conclude that others are better. So O.K. However you want to do the analysis of competing products. I think the Phase products are great and the dealers like Lance Schad at Capture Integration greater. Personally I really valued WLF finders as low angle landscapes are a fact of life for me. When I am shooting handheld the programmable shutter delay really helps get images that would be lost otherwise. And I could go into the Phase +'s like one hour exposures compared to 30 seconds with the H3 and make a strong case for the PhaseOne system. Problem is that there is no system that has it all so you have to pick and choose between what is available NOW!!!

Hasselblad is a semi closed system ( you can use the back on Alpa and other view camera options etc) as compared to a totally open PhaseOne system. Score one for Phase. But the backs for the Hassy H3D are individually matched to the bodies you buy so the focus is as good as it can possibly be, not matter what. So, my friends, pick and choose. There is no one approach that gets it all.

After I got my system today I took a bunch of images of my grandsons just wandering around the house and when I went from normal to 100 percent I just could not believe the capabilities of this back. Not comparing to the P45+ because it is probably just as good. My point is to just take a look at what is possible. There is no comparison between this and what you get from a (say) D3. Love the D3 and as a state of the art high ISO shooter a non-pareil camera. But for me, now that I see what is possible with the MFDB I will never go back to 135 except for macro and super long telephoto.

So what does this ramble really describe? Just that there are very good reasons to go with MFDB and once you are there you will have a hard time returning. Sometimes you wish you had not decided to explore the options because doing so will cost you mega-bucks. Sorry, just the price of entry as it were.

I really want to post comparative images of the DSLR's against the MFDB so that one can see why you would want to spend such silly dollars to get there. Hopefully it will prove a valuable set of work. It has been enlightening for me and I wish I could come to a different conclusion because it would pay for next Christmas for all of my kids, grandkids etc Just the nature of things I guess

Best to all my friends
Woody

fotografz

Marc will you shoot some examples with your H3DII-31 shifted on the rollei x act 2? THere are some readings about how tilts result in bad color casts but I have not seen any examples or a statement specifically about shifting.. M
Yes Mark, now that I have the H3D-II/31 in hand, I will try it when work gives me more than a few minutes to do a proper test.

fotografz

Marc

Certainly I am a newbie when it comes to MFDB. So I won't attempt to fine tune what you have given all of us as an educator which is considerable.

What I will say is that my HD 39 II arrived today and after a swing through the manual and then step by step through the manual with the body in front of my I was totally up and running by the end of the afternoon. Wow.....i thought I would still be here for at least 24 hours trying to figure out how to work through all the possibilities. I am impressed. Hasselblad has done its homework on how to teach folks to get where they need to go.

Each system has its +'s and -'s and that will always be so. For me the H3D is great because it is a systems approach to photography. You could look at each and every feature of the H3 and its competitors and conclude that others are better. So O.K. However you want to do the analysis of competing products. I think the Phase products are great and the dealers like Lance Schad at Capture Integration greater. Personally I really valued WLF finders as low angle landscapes are a fact of life for me. When I am shooting handheld the programmable shutter delay really helps get images that would be lost otherwise. And I could go into the Phase +'s like one hour exposures compared to 30 seconds with the H3 and make a strong case for the PhaseOne system. Problem is that there is no system that has it all so you have to pick and choose between what is available NOW!!!

Hasselblad is a semi closed system ( you can use the back on Alpa and other view camera options etc) as compared to a totally open PhaseOne system. Score one for Phase. But the backs for the Hassy H3D are individually matched to the bodies you buy so the focus is as good as it can possibly be, not matter what. So, my friends, pick and choose. There is no one approach that gets it all.

After I got my system today I took a bunch of images of my grandsons just wandering around the house and when I went from normal to 100 percent I just could not believe the capabilities of this back. Not comparing to the P45+ because it is probably just as good. My point is to just take a look at what is possible. There is no comparison between this and what you get from a (say) D3. Love the D3 and as a state of the art high ISO shooter a non-pareil camera. But for me, now that I see what is possible with the MFDB I will never go back to 135 except for macro and super long telephoto.

So what does this ramble really describe? Just that there are very good reasons to go with MFDB and once you are there you will have a hard time returning. Sometimes you wish you had not decided to explore the options because doing so will cost you mega-bucks. Sorry, just the price of entry as it were.

I really want to post comparative images of the DSLR's against the MFDB so that one can see why you would want to spend such silly dollars to get there. Hopefully it will prove a valuable set of work. It has been enlightening for me and I wish I could come to a different conclusion because it would pay for next Christmas for all of my kids, grandkids etc Just the nature of things I guess

Best to all my friends
Woody
Did you get the WL finder for your H3 Woody? I have one coming next week.

I love the D3 also. But you are right, MF spoils you ... I did a wide angle interior of a magnificent church with the D3 and those that see the 17X22 print think it's spectacular ... and all I see is what it could have been if done with the MFD camera : -)

BTW: yes, the H3D system is a closed one and dedicated to the H3 camera it comes on, or can be used on a technical camera. However, the CF line of backs is not closed, nor is the H2F camera. If I recall correctly, the Phase One backs are integrated dedicated mounts, and once you make your choice of camera, only work on that specified camera model, or a technical camera ... just like the H3Ds.

Sinar, and Hasselblad CF backs using adapters are the ones that are truly "open" and the same back can be used interchangeably on any MF camera at any time. IMO, that is the true definition of "open."

But it's all a moot point for my applications ... IMO total integration is where it's at.

woodyspedden

Did you get the WL finder for your H3 Woody? I have one coming next week.

I love the D3 also. But you are right, MF spoils you ... I did a wide angle interior of a magnificent church with the D3 and those that see the 17X22 print think it's spectacular ... and all I see is what it could have been if done with the MFD camera : -)

BTW: yes, the H3D system is a closed one and dedicated to the H3 camera it comes on, or can be used on a technical camera. However, the CF line of backs is not closed, nor is the H2F camera. If I recall correctly, the Phase One backs are integrated dedicated mounts, and once you make your choice of camera, only work on that specified camera model, or a technical camera ... just like the H3Ds.

Sinar, and Hasselblad CF backs using adapters are the ones that are truly "open" and the same back can be used interchangeably on any MF camera at any time. IMO, that is the true definition of "open."

But it's all a moot point for my applications ... IMO total integration is where it's at.
Marc

Yes the WLF and an extra battery were the first options I purchased. Hopefully PPR has them in stock so I can take advantage of them immediately. WOOWZA this is just awesome! I suspect this system will take care of me for a very long time. Cannot believe how much better this is than 135. Again no knocks against Nikon or Canon but MFDB just sings when it comes to big prints.

Thanks very much for guiding me in the right direction Marc. Hopefully lots of folks on this forum will realize how much they can gain from your guidance.

Woody

PeterA

Congratulations Woody - and welcome to the H3D11-39 club!!:clap:

I am sure that Marc has already clued you up on the Hasselbald user's forum - I recommend it highly as there is no noise regarding other systems and no dog fights about this versus that - just a lot of helpful advice and info if needed.:thumbs:

Once I tried Marc's -31 - I switched to the 39 myself and now I am tossing up an Xact system versus a Linhoff system - Lance has ( as usual) been extremely helpful in finding a nice Linhoff system for me and if seller agrees with price i will go with that.:bugeyes:

I have no doubt that serious photographers will look at proper MFD spec View Cameras in due course - the next frontier.

Re the WLV finder I have one - but it isnt liek your 500 series WLF - remember that the cameras finder is matched to chip size..so the WLF is tiny in comparison. I woudl also recommend that you consider the hard drive that Hasselbald sells I have gone from being skeptical to being a fan for the speed and convenience factor alone.:thumbup:

As an aside - as you know since you sold me most of my R stuff - it is al gone as well as my Canon stuff. I have kept teh D3 with some Zeiss lenses for portability as well as my M8 - only because I also use glass with film bodies. The XPan is never to be sold.

Like you and many others - once MFD bitten there is no turning back:bugeyes:.

Sadly now there is no technical excuse for making bad shots - :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Enjoy and use it in good health

Pete

fotografz

Beautiful camera, but the manuals look a little tattered. But with the discount and all, probably shouldn't complain. :D

Congrats and cheers!
The manuals are dusty from lack of use because you don't need them. Charge the battery, turn it on, and go make photographs ;)

S

Samuel Axelsson

I think there's a difference here. Once you choose your camera system, it's not very clear you will use your back with other cameras (besides large format).
Now that Hasselblad has closed their H3D and contax is out of business the only "other" than Hasselblad is the PhaseOne/mamiya so in my opinion there's no point in making adapter plates.
On the other hand you can put any back of any brand on a PhaseOne/Mamiya. Yes, the H2F will take any back, but without data connection and a sync cable between lens and back. The sad thing is that this is only a firmware lock from Hasselblad, the same as the H2 not taking the 28mm... but that's another story.

I think Phase One is a true open system now and personally, after being a H1/H2 user I'm very happy not being into the (IMHO) hasselblad hassle anymore and very seriously looking into the PhaseOne 645.

Actually, I may switch very soon.

/Samuel

fotografz

Marc

Yes the WLF and an extra battery were the first options I purchased. Hopefully PPR has them in stock so I can take advantage of them immediately. WOOWZA this is just awesome! I suspect this system will take care of me for a very long time. Cannot believe how much better this is than 135. Again no knocks against Nikon or Canon but MFDB just sings when it comes to big prints.

Thanks very much for guiding me in the right direction Marc. Hopefully lots of folks on this forum will realize how much they can gain from your guidance.

Woody
Woody, Peter A reminded me, you should join the Hasselblad digital forum run by Nick T. Certainly not a replacement for this great forum, but a very useful site dedicated to the care and feeding of our Hassey digital machines.

http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.com/index.php

Also, I am supposed to get my H3D-II/39 back from Sweden today. in a delirious state, after working on a project all night, I scratched the IR filter. Nothing that showed up with wide open apertures , until I was forced to do some quick shots with the 120 macro @ f/45 for DOF! Lesson learned. But the camera went and was back very quickly, and the repair bill was surprisingly small @ $435.

With the H3D-II/39 back in hand, I want to do a comparison test between the HC/35, Zeiss 40 CFE, and my new Zeiss 40IF while I still have the 40 CFE. Since I can lock down the 39 on a camera stand, use Profoto strobes for consistent lighting, and shoot tethered to Phocus with identical settings, the only variable will be the optics.

Along with the waist level finder, I also ordered a second CFV-II screen and a H2F body. From previous transactions I have 2 film backs and a spare HV/90 finder in stock. The H2F body will allow me to assemble a completely new 3rd body. My intention is to use it as a B&W film shooter, especially with the CF Adapter and some Zeiss optics like the 40IF, 100CFi and 180CFi ... and wait to see what Hasselblad may do with the CF line of backs in future as the H2F is compatible with all CF and CFH digital backs.

The H2F is quite a remarkable piece of kit ... many features I used to use with the Contax 645 (like in-camera flash metering and in-viewfinder focus confirmation with manual focus Zeiss V lenses, except I don't have to stop down meter and shoot like I did with the Contax.) The H2F is also totally upgradable with new firmware as new features become available. The shutter speed range is from 1/800th to 18 hours. So for the exceedingly rare ocassions I need a long exposure I'm not limited at all : -)

fotografz

I think there's a difference here. Once you choose your camera system, it's not very clear you will use your back with other cameras (besides large format).
Now that Hasselblad has closed their H3D and contax is out of business the only "other" than Hasselblad is the PhaseOne/mamiya so in my opinion there's no point in making adapter plates.
On the other hand you can put any back of any brand on a PhaseOne/Mamiya. Yes, the H2F will take any back, but without data connection and a sync cable between lens and back. The sad thing is that this is only a firmware lock from Hasselblad, the same as the H2 not taking the 28mm... but that's another story.

I think Phase One is a true open system now and personally, after being a H1/H2 user I'm very happy not being into the (IMHO) hasselblad hassle anymore and very seriously looking into the PhaseOne 645.

Actually, I may switch very soon.

/Samuel
Yes, it is your opinion Samuel based on H1 and H2 experiences, certainly not mine. IMO, that's like basing opinions of the Mamiya system on a 645AF instead of a AFD-III ... big difference.

Personally, I am deliriously happy to be out of the multi-camera brand, shim this and that, and all the compatibility issues I went through for so many years, not to mention maintaining multiple lenses systems. One highly integrated camera system suits me fine.

However, I totally disagree that it is pointless to make adapter plates IF one is into the use of multi-brand MF cameras (I'm not one of them anymore.) Some people want to use their Contax 645, RZ. Rollei or a Hasselblad V if they want. Sinar and Hasselblad CF backs provide that option with one back and an array of adapters. I think it is good to have that option in the marketplace. In such cases, it seems far more important to have an open system for the back than the camera.

So IMO, wanting the choice of different backs on one camera is putting the cart before the horse. Changing $30,000. backs based on a camera body never made sense to me.

The Phase/Mamiya option is not one I favored as my primary system since I want ALL my lenses to offer high flash sync speed. This is purely an application specific bias. But I would snap up a H focal plane shutter camera as a supplemental offering from Hasselbald in a NY heartbeat :clap:

The H2F is brand spanking new, so it remains to be seen what it's future may bring since unlike dead or dumb systems it's firmware can be upgraded. Personally I'm of the opinion that all the backs are basically the same for my applications, so if I HAVE to use a Hasselblad CF back that's fine ... the CF and CFH backs do communicate with the H2F and sync cords are not needed. So, if I choose to get a CF/39 Multi-Shot, I can use it on the H2F, or any other MF camera brand I may wish to use by securing iAdapter plates.

Different strokes for different folks.

harmsr

Workshop Member
Woody,

Congrats on the H3DII39. I have fallen off the same cliff as you. Once I saw the difference in the files that it produced and that it would meet the majority of my shooting needs, the Nikon had to go. The D3 is a great camera and much better than the H3 at certain things, however those certain things aren't what pay me or what I really enjoy in photography.

Like you, I won't be going backwards.

When I made my decision on the 39MP back system that I was going to buy, the "closed" Hassy system really didn't bother me. As Marc states, the integration and ability to just pick it up and use it is great. I love all the options and direct hot buttons on a very ergonomic (for my hands) body.

I'll be very curious to see what you guys think of the WLF, as I have not ordered it yet. Am I correct in understanding that it has no metering?

Best,

Ray