Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 35 of 35

Thread: Thoughts On My New H3D-II/31

  1. #1
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Thoughts On My New H3D-II/31

    It arrived yesterday ... the promo priced H3D-II/31 repleat with an additional dealer discount.

    Wahooo!

    I made it to the next Circle of Hell.
    Last edited by fotografz; 30th July 2008 at 05:15.

  2. #2
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Jupiter, Fla.
    Posts
    1,967
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: Thoughts On My New H3D-II/31

    Marc, congrats on your new kit and what a beautiful capture you've made there.

  3. #3
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Thoughts On My New H3D-II/31

    Better slow down buddy you are getting to the last three levels fast. LOL

    Congrats
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  4. #4
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Thoughts On My New H3D-II/31

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Better slow down buddy you are getting to the last three levels fast. LOL

    Congrats
    That's what the wifey said last night ... at least the "Better slow down buddy" part ...

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    California/Thailand
    Posts
    1,206
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Thoughts On My New H3D-II/31

    Beautiful camera, but the manuals look a little tattered. But with the discount and all, probably shouldn't complain.

    Congrats and cheers!

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,513
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Thoughts On My New H3D-II/31

    Dale,
    As Marc has commented before, "you almost dun need no stinking manuals" with this system ;-)

    Great looking new piece of kit, Marc. Congrats, and we know you will put it to great use.

    LJ

  7. #7
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Thoughts On My New H3D-II/31

    Quote Originally Posted by LJL View Post
    Dale,
    As Marc has commented before, "you almost dun need no stinking manuals" with this system ;-)

    Great looking new piece of kit, Marc. Congrats, and we know you will put it to great use.

    LJ
    Can't wait to do a job with it. Love the ISO 800 on this pup ... and very curious to see what 1600 will look like when it gets here.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,513
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Thoughts On My New H3D-II/31

    Marc,
    So what happened with the H3DII/39? Do you still have it, and the new pup is high speed sprinter to accompany it? Just curious...

    LJ

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    760
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Thoughts On My New H3D-II/31

    Marc will you shoot some examples with your H3DII-31 shifted on the rollei x act 2? THere are some readings about how tilts result in bad color casts but I have not seen any examples or a statement specifically about shifting.. M

  10. #10
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Thoughts On My New H3D-II/31

    Quote Originally Posted by LJL View Post
    Marc,
    So what happened with the H3DII/39? Do you still have it, and the new pup is high speed sprinter to accompany it? Just curious...

    LJ
    Yep, the H3D-II/39 is still humpin' I use that camera in the studio, and especially use the back on a Rollei Xact2.

    I had sold my H3D/31 to Peter A and missed it almost immediately. I use the speedy 31 much like a DSLR, and now that I have this new one will probably sell the Canon 1DsMKIII and stick with Nikons for a wedding DSLR.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Posts
    2,077
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Thoughts On My New H3D-II/31

    Marc

    Certainly I am a newbie when it comes to MFDB. So I won't attempt to fine tune what you have given all of us as an educator which is considerable.

    What I will say is that my HD 39 II arrived today and after a swing through the manual and then step by step through the manual with the body in front of my I was totally up and running by the end of the afternoon. Wow.....i thought I would still be here for at least 24 hours trying to figure out how to work through all the possibilities. I am impressed. Hasselblad has done its homework on how to teach folks to get where they need to go.

    Each system has its +'s and -'s and that will always be so. For me the H3D is great because it is a systems approach to photography. You could look at each and every feature of the H3 and its competitors and conclude that others are better. So O.K. However you want to do the analysis of competing products. I think the Phase products are great and the dealers like Lance Schad at Capture Integration greater. Personally I really valued WLF finders as low angle landscapes are a fact of life for me. When I am shooting handheld the programmable shutter delay really helps get images that would be lost otherwise. And I could go into the Phase +'s like one hour exposures compared to 30 seconds with the H3 and make a strong case for the PhaseOne system. Problem is that there is no system that has it all so you have to pick and choose between what is available NOW!!!

    Hasselblad is a semi closed system ( you can use the back on Alpa and other view camera options etc) as compared to a totally open PhaseOne system. Score one for Phase. But the backs for the Hassy H3D are individually matched to the bodies you buy so the focus is as good as it can possibly be, not matter what. So, my friends, pick and choose. There is no one approach that gets it all.

    After I got my system today I took a bunch of images of my grandsons just wandering around the house and when I went from normal to 100 percent I just could not believe the capabilities of this back. Not comparing to the P45+ because it is probably just as good. My point is to just take a look at what is possible. There is no comparison between this and what you get from a (say) D3. Love the D3 and as a state of the art high ISO shooter a non-pareil camera. But for me, now that I see what is possible with the MFDB I will never go back to 135 except for macro and super long telephoto.

    So what does this ramble really describe? Just that there are very good reasons to go with MFDB and once you are there you will have a hard time returning. Sometimes you wish you had not decided to explore the options because doing so will cost you mega-bucks. Sorry, just the price of entry as it were.

    I really want to post comparative images of the DSLR's against the MFDB so that one can see why you would want to spend such silly dollars to get there. Hopefully it will prove a valuable set of work. It has been enlightening for me and I wish I could come to a different conclusion because it would pay for next Christmas for all of my kids, grandkids etc Just the nature of things I guess

    Best to all my friends
    Woody

  12. #12
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Thoughts On My New H3D-II/31

    Quote Originally Posted by mark1958 View Post
    Marc will you shoot some examples with your H3DII-31 shifted on the rollei x act 2? THere are some readings about how tilts result in bad color casts but I have not seen any examples or a statement specifically about shifting.. M
    Yes Mark, now that I have the H3D-II/31 in hand, I will try it when work gives me more than a few minutes to do a proper test.

  13. #13
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Thoughts On My New H3D-II/31

    Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    Marc

    Certainly I am a newbie when it comes to MFDB. So I won't attempt to fine tune what you have given all of us as an educator which is considerable.

    What I will say is that my HD 39 II arrived today and after a swing through the manual and then step by step through the manual with the body in front of my I was totally up and running by the end of the afternoon. Wow.....i thought I would still be here for at least 24 hours trying to figure out how to work through all the possibilities. I am impressed. Hasselblad has done its homework on how to teach folks to get where they need to go.

    Each system has its +'s and -'s and that will always be so. For me the H3D is great because it is a systems approach to photography. You could look at each and every feature of the H3 and its competitors and conclude that others are better. So O.K. However you want to do the analysis of competing products. I think the Phase products are great and the dealers like Lance Schad at Capture Integration greater. Personally I really valued WLF finders as low angle landscapes are a fact of life for me. When I am shooting handheld the programmable shutter delay really helps get images that would be lost otherwise. And I could go into the Phase +'s like one hour exposures compared to 30 seconds with the H3 and make a strong case for the PhaseOne system. Problem is that there is no system that has it all so you have to pick and choose between what is available NOW!!!

    Hasselblad is a semi closed system ( you can use the back on Alpa and other view camera options etc) as compared to a totally open PhaseOne system. Score one for Phase. But the backs for the Hassy H3D are individually matched to the bodies you buy so the focus is as good as it can possibly be, not matter what. So, my friends, pick and choose. There is no one approach that gets it all.

    After I got my system today I took a bunch of images of my grandsons just wandering around the house and when I went from normal to 100 percent I just could not believe the capabilities of this back. Not comparing to the P45+ because it is probably just as good. My point is to just take a look at what is possible. There is no comparison between this and what you get from a (say) D3. Love the D3 and as a state of the art high ISO shooter a non-pareil camera. But for me, now that I see what is possible with the MFDB I will never go back to 135 except for macro and super long telephoto.

    So what does this ramble really describe? Just that there are very good reasons to go with MFDB and once you are there you will have a hard time returning. Sometimes you wish you had not decided to explore the options because doing so will cost you mega-bucks. Sorry, just the price of entry as it were.

    I really want to post comparative images of the DSLR's against the MFDB so that one can see why you would want to spend such silly dollars to get there. Hopefully it will prove a valuable set of work. It has been enlightening for me and I wish I could come to a different conclusion because it would pay for next Christmas for all of my kids, grandkids etc Just the nature of things I guess

    Best to all my friends
    Woody
    Did you get the WL finder for your H3 Woody? I have one coming next week.

    I love the D3 also. But you are right, MF spoils you ... I did a wide angle interior of a magnificent church with the D3 and those that see the 17X22 print think it's spectacular ... and all I see is what it could have been if done with the MFD camera : -)

    BTW: yes, the H3D system is a closed one and dedicated to the H3 camera it comes on, or can be used on a technical camera. However, the CF line of backs is not closed, nor is the H2F camera. If I recall correctly, the Phase One backs are integrated dedicated mounts, and once you make your choice of camera, only work on that specified camera model, or a technical camera ... just like the H3Ds.

    Sinar, and Hasselblad CF backs using adapters are the ones that are truly "open" and the same back can be used interchangeably on any MF camera at any time. IMO, that is the true definition of "open."

    But it's all a moot point for my applications ... IMO total integration is where it's at.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Posts
    2,077
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Thoughts On My New H3D-II/31

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Did you get the WL finder for your H3 Woody? I have one coming next week.

    I love the D3 also. But you are right, MF spoils you ... I did a wide angle interior of a magnificent church with the D3 and those that see the 17X22 print think it's spectacular ... and all I see is what it could have been if done with the MFD camera : -)

    BTW: yes, the H3D system is a closed one and dedicated to the H3 camera it comes on, or can be used on a technical camera. However, the CF line of backs is not closed, nor is the H2F camera. If I recall correctly, the Phase One backs are integrated dedicated mounts, and once you make your choice of camera, only work on that specified camera model, or a technical camera ... just like the H3Ds.

    Sinar, and Hasselblad CF backs using adapters are the ones that are truly "open" and the same back can be used interchangeably on any MF camera at any time. IMO, that is the true definition of "open."

    But it's all a moot point for my applications ... IMO total integration is where it's at.
    Marc

    Yes the WLF and an extra battery were the first options I purchased. Hopefully PPR has them in stock so I can take advantage of them immediately. WOOWZA this is just awesome! I suspect this system will take care of me for a very long time. Cannot believe how much better this is than 135. Again no knocks against Nikon or Canon but MFDB just sings when it comes to big prints.

    Thanks very much for guiding me in the right direction Marc. Hopefully lots of folks on this forum will realize how much they can gain from your guidance.

    Woody

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,338
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    52

    Re: Thoughts On My New H3D-II/31

    Congratulations Woody - and welcome to the H3D11-39 club!!

    I am sure that Marc has already clued you up on the Hasselbald user's forum - I recommend it highly as there is no noise regarding other systems and no dog fights about this versus that - just a lot of helpful advice and info if needed.

    Once I tried Marc's -31 - I switched to the 39 myself and now I am tossing up an Xact system versus a Linhoff system - Lance has ( as usual) been extremely helpful in finding a nice Linhoff system for me and if seller agrees with price i will go with that.

    I have no doubt that serious photographers will look at proper MFD spec View Cameras in due course - the next frontier.

    Re the WLV finder I have one - but it isnt liek your 500 series WLF - remember that the cameras finder is matched to chip size..so the WLF is tiny in comparison. I woudl also recommend that you consider the hard drive that Hasselbald sells I have gone from being skeptical to being a fan for the speed and convenience factor alone.


    As an aside - as you know since you sold me most of my R stuff - it is al gone as well as my Canon stuff. I have kept teh D3 with some Zeiss lenses for portability as well as my M8 - only because I also use glass with film bodies. The XPan is never to be sold.

    Like you and many others - once MFD bitten there is no turning back.

    Sadly now there is no technical excuse for making bad shots -

    Enjoy and use it in good health

    Pete

  16. #16
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Thoughts On My New H3D-II/31

    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Allyn View Post
    Beautiful camera, but the manuals look a little tattered. But with the discount and all, probably shouldn't complain.

    Congrats and cheers!
    The manuals are dusty from lack of use because you don't need them. Charge the battery, turn it on, and go make photographs

  17. #17
    Samuel Axelsson
    Guest

    Re: Thoughts On My New H3D-II/31

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post

    BTW: yes, the H3D system is a closed one and dedicated to the H3 camera it comes on, or can be used on a technical camera. However, the CF line of backs is not closed, nor is the H2F camera. If I recall correctly, the Phase One backs are integrated dedicated mounts, and once you make your choice of camera, only work on that specified camera model, or a technical camera ... just like the H3Ds.

    Sinar, and Hasselblad CF backs using adapters are the ones that are truly "open" and the same back can be used interchangeably on any MF camera at any time. IMO, that is the true definition of "open."

    But it's all a moot point for my applications ... IMO total integration is where it's at.
    I think there's a difference here. Once you choose your camera system, it's not very clear you will use your back with other cameras (besides large format).
    Now that Hasselblad has closed their H3D and contax is out of business the only "other" than Hasselblad is the PhaseOne/mamiya so in my opinion there's no point in making adapter plates.
    On the other hand you can put any back of any brand on a PhaseOne/Mamiya. Yes, the H2F will take any back, but without data connection and a sync cable between lens and back. The sad thing is that this is only a firmware lock from Hasselblad, the same as the H2 not taking the 28mm... but that's another story.

    I think Phase One is a true open system now and personally, after being a H1/H2 user I'm very happy not being into the (IMHO) hasselblad hassle anymore and very seriously looking into the PhaseOne 645.

    Actually, I may switch very soon.



    /Samuel

  18. #18
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Thoughts On My New H3D-II/31

    Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    Marc

    Yes the WLF and an extra battery were the first options I purchased. Hopefully PPR has them in stock so I can take advantage of them immediately. WOOWZA this is just awesome! I suspect this system will take care of me for a very long time. Cannot believe how much better this is than 135. Again no knocks against Nikon or Canon but MFDB just sings when it comes to big prints.

    Thanks very much for guiding me in the right direction Marc. Hopefully lots of folks on this forum will realize how much they can gain from your guidance.

    Woody
    Woody, Peter A reminded me, you should join the Hasselblad digital forum run by Nick T. Certainly not a replacement for this great forum, but a very useful site dedicated to the care and feeding of our Hassey digital machines.

    http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.com/index.php

    Also, I am supposed to get my H3D-II/39 back from Sweden today. in a delirious state, after working on a project all night, I scratched the IR filter. Nothing that showed up with wide open apertures , until I was forced to do some quick shots with the 120 macro @ f/45 for DOF! Lesson learned. But the camera went and was back very quickly, and the repair bill was surprisingly small @ $435.

    With the H3D-II/39 back in hand, I want to do a comparison test between the HC/35, Zeiss 40 CFE, and my new Zeiss 40IF while I still have the 40 CFE. Since I can lock down the 39 on a camera stand, use Profoto strobes for consistent lighting, and shoot tethered to Phocus with identical settings, the only variable will be the optics.

    Along with the waist level finder, I also ordered a second CFV-II screen and a H2F body. From previous transactions I have 2 film backs and a spare HV/90 finder in stock. The H2F body will allow me to assemble a completely new 3rd body. My intention is to use it as a B&W film shooter, especially with the CF Adapter and some Zeiss optics like the 40IF, 100CFi and 180CFi ... and wait to see what Hasselblad may do with the CF line of backs in future as the H2F is compatible with all CF and CFH digital backs.

    The H2F is quite a remarkable piece of kit ... many features I used to use with the Contax 645 (like in-camera flash metering and in-viewfinder focus confirmation with manual focus Zeiss V lenses, except I don't have to stop down meter and shoot like I did with the Contax.) The H2F is also totally upgradable with new firmware as new features become available. The shutter speed range is from 1/800th to 18 hours. So for the exceedingly rare ocassions I need a long exposure I'm not limited at all : -)

  19. #19
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Thoughts On My New H3D-II/31

    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Axelsson View Post
    I think there's a difference here. Once you choose your camera system, it's not very clear you will use your back with other cameras (besides large format).
    Now that Hasselblad has closed their H3D and contax is out of business the only "other" than Hasselblad is the PhaseOne/mamiya so in my opinion there's no point in making adapter plates.
    On the other hand you can put any back of any brand on a PhaseOne/Mamiya. Yes, the H2F will take any back, but without data connection and a sync cable between lens and back. The sad thing is that this is only a firmware lock from Hasselblad, the same as the H2 not taking the 28mm... but that's another story.

    I think Phase One is a true open system now and personally, after being a H1/H2 user I'm very happy not being into the (IMHO) hasselblad hassle anymore and very seriously looking into the PhaseOne 645.

    Actually, I may switch very soon.

    /Samuel
    Yes, it is your opinion Samuel based on H1 and H2 experiences, certainly not mine. IMO, that's like basing opinions of the Mamiya system on a 645AF instead of a AFD-III ... big difference.

    Personally, I am deliriously happy to be out of the multi-camera brand, shim this and that, and all the compatibility issues I went through for so many years, not to mention maintaining multiple lenses systems. One highly integrated camera system suits me fine.

    However, I totally disagree that it is pointless to make adapter plates IF one is into the use of multi-brand MF cameras (I'm not one of them anymore.) Some people want to use their Contax 645, RZ. Rollei or a Hasselblad V if they want. Sinar and Hasselblad CF backs provide that option with one back and an array of adapters. I think it is good to have that option in the marketplace. In such cases, it seems far more important to have an open system for the back than the camera.

    So IMO, wanting the choice of different backs on one camera is putting the cart before the horse. Changing $30,000. backs based on a camera body never made sense to me.

    The Phase/Mamiya option is not one I favored as my primary system since I want ALL my lenses to offer high flash sync speed. This is purely an application specific bias. But I would snap up a H focal plane shutter camera as a supplemental offering from Hasselbald in a NY heartbeat

    The H2F is brand spanking new, so it remains to be seen what it's future may bring since unlike dead or dumb systems it's firmware can be upgraded. Personally I'm of the opinion that all the backs are basically the same for my applications, so if I HAVE to use a Hasselblad CF back that's fine ... the CF and CFH backs do communicate with the H2F and sync cords are not needed. So, if I choose to get a CF/39 Multi-Shot, I can use it on the H2F, or any other MF camera brand I may wish to use by securing iAdapter plates.

    Different strokes for different folks.

  20. #20
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    420
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Thoughts On My New H3D-II/31

    Woody,

    Congrats on the H3DII39. I have fallen off the same cliff as you. Once I saw the difference in the files that it produced and that it would meet the majority of my shooting needs, the Nikon had to go. The D3 is a great camera and much better than the H3 at certain things, however those certain things aren't what pay me or what I really enjoy in photography.

    Like you, I won't be going backwards.

    When I made my decision on the 39MP back system that I was going to buy, the "closed" Hassy system really didn't bother me. As Marc states, the integration and ability to just pick it up and use it is great. I love all the options and direct hot buttons on a very ergonomic (for my hands) body.

    I'll be very curious to see what you guys think of the WLF, as I have not ordered it yet. Am I correct in understanding that it has no metering?

    Best,

    Ray

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Posts
    2,077
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Thoughts On My New H3D-II/31

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    Congratulations Woody - and welcome to the H3D11-39 club!!

    I am sure that Marc has already clued you up on the Hasselbald user's forum - I recommend it highly as there is no noise regarding other systems and no dog fights about this versus that - just a lot of helpful advice and info if needed.

    Once I tried Marc's -31 - I switched to the 39 myself and now I am tossing up an Xact system versus a Linhoff system - Lance has ( as usual) been extremely helpful in finding a nice Linhoff system for me and if seller agrees with price i will go with that.

    I have no doubt that serious photographers will look at proper MFD spec View Cameras in due course - the next frontier.

    Re the WLV finder I have one - but it isnt liek your 500 series WLF - remember that the cameras finder is matched to chip size..so the WLF is tiny in comparison. I woudl also recommend that you consider the hard drive that Hasselbald sells I have gone from being skeptical to being a fan for the speed and convenience factor alone.


    As an aside - as you know since you sold me most of my R stuff - it is al gone as well as my Canon stuff. I have kept teh D3 with some Zeiss lenses for portability as well as my M8 - only because I also use glass with film bodies. The XPan is never to be sold.

    Like you and many others - once MFD bitten there is no turning back.

    Sadly now there is no technical excuse for making bad shots -

    Enjoy and use it in good health

    Pete
    Thanks for all the insight Pete. I bought the 39 Mpx system because I looked back and realized that I was in a constant upgrade mode and losing money on each one. So I decided to start with the best optics I could find and went with the V Glass followed by a couple of HC (28 and 80) as this fundamentally determines the quality of the image. I have the 40 CFE IF, 50 CFI, 110 2.0 hassy, 120 CFE Macro, 180 CFE and the 1.4 TC. I am hopeful I can find a mint copy of the 300 CFE for a reasonable price. Since I can shoot the really long stuff with my Nikon this is the lowest priority for me. So my hope is that I now have the system that will serve me for a very long time. I also got a PC Mutar 1.4 which in combination with my 40 CFE IF provides a remarkable shift system. However I need a CFV back for my 203 FE in order to use it ideally. But the 203 FE and CFV will give me the ideal platform for my 110 2.0 Hassy as well so it is worth doing. I needed the CFV II anyway so that's no big deal. I realize I could use the Horseman or Alpa for shift but I really don't like the idea of zone focusing only. One reason I went for the MF was to have the highest resolution now available for digital capture. No point in having that resolution if you miss the focus so I will stick with a proper focus approach.

    By the way, does the Hassy WLF finder support metering? I couldn't find the answer to that in their brochures.

    There is no doubt that I will get an Imagebank for my system. An 8 GB card only supports something like 194 images. When I go in the field I am paranoid about proper backup as well so I have a ruggedized 120 GB drive, my MacBook Pro, and now the Imagebank. Just wish it had a display and at $2K it damned well ought to!!LOL

    Sounds like you are well and up and about. Great

    All the best

    Woody

  22. #22
    Senior Member Steve Hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    420
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: Thoughts On My New H3D-II/31

    Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post

    There is no doubt that I will get an Imagebank for my system. An 8 GB card only supports something like 194 images. When I go in the field I am paranoid about proper backup as well so I have a ruggedized 120 GB drive, my MacBook Pro, and now the Imagebank. Just wish it had a display and at $2K it damned well ought to!!LOL

    Sounds like you are well and up and about. Great

    All the best

    Woody
    Also, the ImageBank can serve as in-the-field backup for CF cards. With a CF card in the H3D, and the ImageBank plugged into the firwire port, there is a mode that enables the backup process. It's not blindingly fast, but then again transferring 39MP files never is. It is a bumer there is no display - that would be great. Maybe one day...

    Steve Hendrix
    www.ppratlanta.com/digital.php

  23. #23
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    420
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Thoughts On My New H3D-II/31

    Steve,

    Does the waist level finder have metering, like the HVD 90x?

    Thanks,

    Ray

  24. #24
    JEM_DTG
    Guest

    Re: Thoughts On My New H3D-II/31

    No metering capability with the HVM Waistlevel Finder. The camera functions just as it does without a prism attached... it defaults to Manual exposure mode.

    Regards,

    Jordan Miller
    DTG

    Quote Originally Posted by harmsr View Post
    Steve,

    Does the waist level finder have metering, like the HVD 90x?

    Thanks,

    Ray

  25. #25
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Thoughts On My New H3D-II/31

    Quote Originally Posted by JEM_DTG View Post
    No metering capability with the HVM Waistlevel Finder. The camera functions just as it does without a prism attached... it defaults to Manual exposure mode.

    Regards,

    Jordan Miller
    DTG
    Makes no difference to me. I want this mostly for studio work ... for low angle shots , and especially when I have the H3 on the camera stand pointing straight down.

  26. #26
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Thoughts On My New H3D-II/31

    Hell I am thinking about a Alpa, that has NOTHING.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  27. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    760
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Thoughts On My New H3D-II/31

    They should really make the equivalent of an angle C view finder that clips onto the HVM90 allowing one to do metering, flash etc. For me, I do some low down macros and in this case such a device would be very welcome. I guess i can use the waist level finder and it certainly would be helpful in such situations... and it is not that expensive.

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Makes no difference to me. I want this mostly for studio work ... for low angle shots , and especially when I have the H3 on the camera stand pointing straight down.

  28. #28
    Workshop Member Woody Campbell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,120
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    66

    Re: Thoughts On My New H3D-II/31

    Quote Originally Posted by harmsr View Post
    Steve,

    Does the waist level finder have metering, like the HVD 90x?

    Thanks,

    Ray
    I'm a gear hog but I don't own the wlf because it limits you to landscape orientation. Cameras that I've owned with wlf were either square format (Rollei 2.8f and Hasselblad V 6x6) or had rotating backs (Fuji 680)

  29. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Posts
    2,077
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Thoughts On My New H3D-II/31

    Quote Originally Posted by Woody Campbell View Post
    I'm a gear hog but I don't own the wlf because it limits you to landscape orientation. Cameras that I've owned with wlf were either square format (Rollei 2.8f and Hasselblad V 6x6) or had rotating backs (Fuji 680)
    I agree that for general purpose shooting the Landscape orientation only is a real limitation. I use the WIF primarily for just the purpose of landscapes so it is often very helpful, as in when I want to do low angle shots. At 71 years old I am no longer flexible enough to get down on the ground in an odd angle position and be able to look through the prism finder.

    The good thing about the H3D is the ability to very rapidly move from one finder to another. And since the WLF is cheap (for instance compared to the Hy6 which I believe is about $1100 more expensive) I can live with the limitations.

    This is where the Sinar systems really shine. Rotatable back and a metered WLF and you are good to go. But it is expensive and you gets what you paid for. I surely know why David K went this route though.

    Just my thoughts

    Woody

  30. #30
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Jupiter, Fla.
    Posts
    1,967
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: Thoughts On My New H3D-II/31

    Quote Originally Posted by Woody Campbell View Post
    I'm a gear hog but I don't own the wlf because it limits you to landscape orientation. Cameras that I've owned with wlf were either square format (Rollei 2.8f and Hasselblad V 6x6) or had rotating backs (Fuji 680)
    I agree with you on this score Woody. I loved my Mamiya RZ (and now my Hy6) because of the rotating back. Ever try to shoot with a WLF in portrait orientation on a tripod... I have and I can tell you I'll never do it again. Backwards is bad enough, but upside down and backwards is ridiculous

  31. #31
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Thoughts On My New H3D-II/31

    Quote Originally Posted by mark1958 View Post
    They should really make the equivalent of an angle C view finder that clips onto the HVM90 allowing one to do metering, flash etc. For me, I do some low down macros and in this case such a device would be very welcome. I guess i can use the waist level finder and it certainly would be helpful in such situations... and it is not that expensive.
    That's an interesting idea Mark. I wonder if something that already exists could be repurposed?

  32. #32
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: Thoughts On My New H3D-II/31


  33. #33
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: Thoughts On My New H3D-II/31

    Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Whoops this was posted on the wrong thread.....

  34. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,338
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    52

    Re: Thoughts On My New H3D-II/31

    Woody - you have some great V glass there - enjoy!

    My ONLY wish re Hasselblad H body was that they had multiple focus points ala Mamiya.

    I am considering buying that CFV11 -so I can use a WLF and teh CFE 120 makro planar I bought new last year - for ground level macro work.

    That way I get a nice 40 as well

    However - I think a Phase One P25+ back in V mount may be even smarter
    Pete

  35. #35
    Natasa Stojsic
    Guest

    Re: Thoughts On My New H3D-II/31

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Hell I am thinking about a Alpa, that has NOTHING.
    Guy, look at it this way, at least we have the platform that we can mount any Digital Back including Seitz and if you really want one of these image banks Seitz comes with one at least that way you have true FULL FRAME 6x9 DIGITAL BACK


    It is too early for me to go Seitz root, but hey I am not surprised to see Landscape/Architecture/Still Life Photographers go for it!!! I would if I could... probably can, but not ready until I see it in action!!!

    Perhaps, Guy can start a thread on SEITZ Full Frame 6x17/6x9 Digital Back or Digital (scanning) Back is more appropriate... you guys decide!!!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •