The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Phase 35mm D series??

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Yep. On the P65+ f8 is very good, but the corners improve and center remains very good at f11. At f16 corners improve a teeny bit more and you do gain a smidge of DoF, but the rest of the image falls off from diffraction, so why I said it's a 50/50 tradeoff.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I think Jack as we always go through these lens test it always seems the Crop sensor like the P40 is 1 stop better than the Full Frame sensor which really makes perfect sense ( In the corners that is). Like to call it just as a general rule to be honest. The nice thing is all 4 corners at ALL apertures are the same. This is was plagued a lot of the older lenses unless you got lucky and found a really good copy which i know you have. Now maybe the variance is gone with the new lens. Lets hope that holds up which I think will now.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Agree totally -- full-frame MF digital is very hard on lenses :toocool:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I am updating this since I did pull off at least one image last week at the Grand Canyon with the new 35mm on my P40+ at F11.

T

tomz

Thanks for this thread Guy and Jack! Bought this lens after reading this :)

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
After further real-world testing we have not invested in stocking large quantities of the Phase One 35mm D lens. While comparable to other medium format 35mm lenses we have tested it and found no evidence of significant improvement over good copies of the Mamiya 35mm lens.

We will continue to take orders for the lens, as the quality control on the production of the new lens makes it appealing compared to ensuring your copy of the Mamiya 35mm lens is a good one.

Since we're talking about testing 35mm lenses... Our testing of the Leica S2 35mm lens showed it to be the best medium format lens of this focal length by a safe margin (though not by a mile). Though it's critical when making comparisons to remember the difference between testing a 35mm lens with a cropped sensor versus full-frame sensor. The Phase & Mamiya 35mm lenses are both pretty darn good performing lenses with a cropped sensor, but on a full-frame sensor (P65+ / IQ160 / IQ180) the corner performance is only ok. Regarding the S2 35mm lens the (roughly) equivalent lens for a full frame digital back would be the 45mmD and this lens is a significantly better performer (both compared to the 35D and the 45 non-d).

We have some image samples with the 35mm D lens on a P65+ that potential CI customers are welcome to contact me for.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto,*Broncolor,*Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off[/size]

mediumcool

After further real-world testing we have not invested in stocking large quantities of the Phase One 35mm D lens. While comparable to other medium format 35mm lenses we have tested it and found no evidence of significant improvement over good copies of the Mamiya 35mm lens.

We will continue to take orders for the lens, as the quality control on the production of the new lens makes it appealing compared to ensuring your copy of the Mamiya 35mm lens is a good one.

Since we're talking about testing 35mm lenses... Our testing of the Leica S2 35mm lens showed it to be the best medium format lens of this focal length by a safe margin (though not by a mile). Though it's critical when making comparisons to remember the difference between testing a 35mm lens with a cropped sensor versus full-frame sensor. The Phase & Mamiya 35mm lenses are both pretty darn good performing lenses with a cropped sensor, but on a full-frame sensor (P65+ / IQ160 / IQ180) the corner performance is only ok. Regarding the S2 35mm lens the (roughly) equivalent lens for a full frame digital back would be the 45mmD and this lens is a significantly better performer (both compared to the 35D and the 45 non-d).

We have some image samples with the 35mm D lens on a P65+ that potential CI customers are welcome to contact me for.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto,*Broncolor,*Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off[/size]
Pretty much confirms this.